Author Topic: Teardown of GPD XD System (Blue 32gb) and my thoughts  (Read 31053 times)

beldandy561 (OP)

Re: Teardown of GPD XD System (Blue 32gb) and my thoughts
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 11:11:36 pm »
Huh....

I really havent ever had issues with the dome style ones.  I am thinking of the ones that came on the gba sp, and other such devices.  Now that i think about it, those probably would be of higher build quality and the ones GPD would likely use might wear out much sooner.  I dont have any 3rd party products that use the dome design to compare longevity with.

eragon2890

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 07:39:25 pm »
Oh and one more question related to the battery... I do like to keep it in standby whenever I am not using it. (Which given my amount of usage still means I empty another huge battery load every day lol). I suppose this is not going to matter at all, or do you think it would be better for teh device to fully power it off when not using it to give it some extra cooling?

Last question I promise XD

AteBitFun

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:59:11 pm »
Hello, I am just have one little question. CPU is real 3288? Without any downgrades and modifications?

beldandy561 (OP)

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 01:23:28 am »
Oh and one more question related to the battery... I do like to keep it in standby whenever I am not using it. (Which given my amount of usage still means I empty another huge battery load every day lol). I suppose this is not going to matter at all, or do you think it would be better for teh device to fully power it off when not using it to give it some extra cooling?

For any normal device i would say that use is fine.  However due to some people mentioning they due this, or charge it while its in standby, etc, and it would NOT wake after i personally do the following.

1.  Ditched the pack in AC and usb cable and never use them.  I use my own trusted and working AC and usb cable set i have confidence in.

2. I turned off the (go into sleep mode after X amount of time) now it only goes into sleep mode when i push the power button.

3. I never charge it while im using it.  Dont want to put anymore stress on the device than is necessary  (personal pet peve)

4. I only charge the device when i have it fully shut down, and always shut it down when i dont plan on using it within the next hour.

5. It takes roughly 3 hours to fully charge from less than 20% charge left.  I sit around and do other things while its charging and unplug it as soon as i notice the light has gone out.  I do NOT leave it charging over night like most of my other devices.  ( only do this cause of the flakyness others have reported, and just to be as text book safe with it as possible)  if i am unable to be around during its 3hour charge time, i wait till i have the time to charge it next.

Anyway, just my taking care of it habits.

beldandy561 (OP)

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 01:28:13 am »
Hello, I am just have one little question. CPU is real 3288? Without any downgrades and modifications?

As real as we know, all the benchmark and SetCPU software identifies it as legit.  But as mentioned in other forum threads the chip has been downclocked via software by the manufacturer due to heat concerns from what i hear.  The chip is capable of running at 1.8ghz but is underclocked to 1.4ghz i believe.

philexile

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 02:01:29 pm »
Regarding the battery: can't we just ask GPD (or maybe Willgoo) what the model is exactly? To me, that seems like the most important part to be able to replace in the future.

I just received my GPD XD 32Gb Black last week and its pretty impressive overall. I'm a little disappointed with the controls, but that's about it. See below:

- Directional pad is too small
- Directional pad and A,B,C,D buttons are "soft" or "mushy"
- The printing on top of the buttons is already starting to wear off ? I had this issue with my JXD 7800B as well

That said, I'm really impressed overall ? great battery life, great screen, great performance! Also, the GPD built-in software for the controls are fantastic. No need for workarounds like Tincore's mapper.

If they could just build the device slightly better and with better parts this would be perfect.

GPD: why don't you make a "deluxe" version that has better parts and addresses the issues above. Maybe also make the battery easy to replace. I'd pay more for something like that and I think others would too!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:05:02 pm by philexile »

eragon2890

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 10:05:58 pm »

I tread it very carefully too, altough I don't charge it while off - especially since I figure making the difference in heat bigger would only enlarge any problems stemming from this. Plus, I am pretty sure the people for whom it did not turn on anymore had if *off* overnight while charging, not on...

The only thing is, I have a habit of (when watching videos, not gaming lol) of tilting/toppling the device back and forth a bit sometimes, (not the hinge off course, the device) as a tick... but I don't see how that could cause any harm? If it's just opened it sometimes lead to a very faint clack sound the first two or so times , but I guess that's just gravity working on the screen.

It's a tick lol

For any normal device i would say that use is fine.  However due to some people mentioning they due this, or charge it while its in standby, etc, and it would NOT wake after i personally do the following.

1.  Ditched the pack in AC and usb cable and never use them.  I use my own trusted and working AC and usb cable set i have confidence in.

2. I turned off the (go into sleep mode after X amount of time) now it only goes into sleep mode when i push the power button.

3. I never charge it while im using it.  Dont want to put anymore stress on the device than is necessary  (personal pet peve)

4. I only charge the device when i have it fully shut down, and always shut it down when i dont plan on using it within the next hour.

5. It takes roughly 3 hours to fully charge from less than 20% charge left.  I sit around and do other things while its charging and unplug it as soon as i notice the light has gone out.  I do NOT leave it charging over night like most of my other devices.  ( only do this cause of the flakyness others have reported, and just to be as text book safe with it as possible)  if i am unable to be around during its 3hour charge time, i wait till i have the time to charge it next.

Anyway, just my taking care of it habits.

midknight

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 05:45:28 am »
My input on charging the battery is a bit different but I agree on not leaving it on the charger and using a good quality charger

1. Charge battery before its fully dead don't wait for it to completely loose power I try and charge at about 20% left

2. I don't charge with the unit off if battery is flat I charge just long enough so I can then turn it on and leave it charging.

3. Don't get into the habit of using the device while its charging creates extra heat in the battery cheap batteries can get puffy from high drain and charging at the same time

The battery in these devices may not be the best quality so you want to avoid situations of extended high draw and constant topping off of the battery.

Chris23235

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 08:53:12 am »
I charge all my Android devices (most of them are china devices) for years now without shutting the device down and never had a problem. Also not draining the battery shouldn't be a problem, because the device shuts automatically down before the battery is drained.

I am leaving my JXD 7800B permanently in stnadby on the charger for almost 2 years now and only unplug it, when I use it. I never had any problems.

SONY

• !
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 12:46:27 pm »
When I need to charge my non-phone Android device, I always shutdown it down first because I know it will charge it a tiny bit faster.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

eragon2890

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 04:39:04 pm »
Just curious, how is the dpad attached on the xd? On the metal part where it says hat? Is it more solid then the design used on the q9? ( i think so)

Just curious really?  :(

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »
I don't have a q9 myself... but the dpad on the XD is very solid.

eragon2890

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 05:11:09 pm »
Quote from: vetran link=topic=10660.msg1330too. msg133070 date=1445965274
I don't have a q9 myself... but the dpad on the XD is very solid.

Yeah thought so, it can move around like a milimetre or two so sometimes you can see inside just a miniscule bit, and you can push it around the same miniature amount, but i think this is normal, the tiny bit of leeway? I mean the 3ds has it too. but still curious how its attached XD

retroluvr

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 03:28:22 am »
Just FYI, the battery replacement is easy; these are standard LI ion batteries; you can find plenty of them on sites like Sparkfun or Adafruit.

Regarding the voltage, they are all the same (4.3V), and the capacity is usually related to the size and shape. From the look of it, it may well be a 2500 mAh.

Thanks for the teardown! It is nice to know what is actually inside the XD

eragon2890

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:41 pm »
Just FYI, the battery replacement is easy; these are standard LI ion batteries; you can find plenty of them on sites like Sparkfun or Adafruit.

Regarding the voltage, they are all the same (4.3V), and the capacity is usually related to the size and shape. From the look of it, it may well be a 2500 mAh.

it?s 6000 mah in fact, is that very surprising/strange? Is it in general "The bigger physically, the bigger the capacity"?

Draelmar

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 09:14:35 pm »
Hi beldandy561, thanks for your report, not quite what I was hoping, sadly.

I would love your advice on my issue.

I received mine a couple days ago, ordered directly from GPD and turns out I got one with a crappy battery. Here's the symptoms:

1) Turned on the first time, battery at 39%
2) Plugged it in to my PC USB to have it charging while I try it out.
3) Under an hour later I realize the battery was now at 28%. Mmm.
4) I try to have it charged on its original power adapter, while powered off.
5) An hour or so later the battery is at 5%.  Then 0%.
6) I can't use the unit at all now that the battery reached 0% (even when connected).

All the time I had it plugged it, the battery had the little "lightning" logo and it says it's charging, although it clearly is not.

So I assume this is just the battery, while the rest of my unit is ok?

How risky would it be for someone like me, without your extensive electronic experience, to just replace the battery without breaking anything else?  What are me other options?

It seems like I should risk a battery repair, otherwise this is just a brick.... :(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:16:51 pm by Draelmar »

HercTNT

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:59 am »

it?s 6000 mah in fact, is that very surprising/strange? Is it in general "The bigger physically, the bigger the capacity"?

Lithium ion battery size is dependent on chemistry. Some have dense storage chemistry but can be unsafe. Some low storage chemistry, but much more stable. Others are a mix of both strategies. I would argue that unless properly marked, just looking at a battery is not a good indication of its mah rating.

I received mine a couple days ago, ordered directly from GPD and turns out I got one with a crappy battery. Here's the symptoms:

6) I can't use the unit at all now that the battery reached 0% (even when connected).

All the time I had it plugged it, the battery had the little "lightning" logo and it says it's charging, although it clearly is not.

How risky would it be for someone like me, without your extensive electronic experience, to just replace the battery without breaking anything else?  What are me other options?

It seems like I should risk a battery repair, otherwise this is just a brick.... :(

It is possible your unit is fine but the battery is bunk. I have no idea what its warranty is though and its likely if you try to repair it yourself, you might void that warranty. should you choose to do so. fixing the battery would require you finding the same size, shape, and thickness of battery. After that its just two wires to desolder the old battery, and solder the new one back in place. If you are not familiar with soldering, don't do it. A cold solder joint could be bad. a battery wire coming loose and shorting out inside the unit could potentially be a fireworks show.

midknight

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 06:00:07 am »

Pulled apart mine about 4 times already I would suggest at all cost avoid taking apart the xd because its designed for easy assembly not servicing it's only going to clip back together so many times. I'm a computer tech I take apart laptops and tablets almost daily and I'm not too keen on opening mine ever again. But if you have no other choice and you can't return it go for it its already broken anyway just open it in a nice clean work space with a lot of light and take your time.