Author Topic: Skelton - Help me compile a new Legacy possibility?  (Read 3877 times)

skelton

Re: Skelton - Help me compile a new Legacy possibility?
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »
Ok i think i got everything working except Init.d. I need to figure out how to get it working.

Your kernel is working and so is root.
I flashed 3.4.9
I rooted using stock update
Flashed twrp
Then flashed your Boot/Kernel/Resource

and it all seems to work. I tested your kernel with cpu monitor and kernel adiutor, and I could see it go to 1800 after I set it to 1.8ghz performance.

The mali drivers, will they work after I transfer the files over and give them the right permissions, or does it take a recompile?

Why 3.4.9 and not 3.4.2? 3.4.9 use worse mali drivers and I also heard they changed something in GPD mapper, so not sure if everything will work ok with my kernel . It will do is there is no change in joystick driver, but if they did some change for 3.4.9 who knows if it will wok with new mapper. I heard abour new mapper in 3.4.9 from GPD, but never tried myself, so not sure if it's better, worse or different in any way,

Init.d as long as you make the folder and use my boot,img should work. For mali you would need to replace mali module (mali kbase) and the files under the vendor folder, and set correct permissions. (I think gralloc file under system/lib/hw should be changed it too but not sure right now) But I think that if you make the same steps using 3.4.2 is easier, since you would only need to replace the gamepad.apk and will have the good mali drivers by default. As you prefer. I never could test 3.4.9 so not sure if they made changes or not.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:14:43 pm by skelton »
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2017, 04:39:57 pm »
Yeh i think I will. I just figured if I was going to change mali driver I should use latest gpd firmware, but I guess its best to stay safe and use 3.4.2.

When I made the folder It didn't work so I don't know where it went wrong. I ended up using terminal app and ran a script and init.d ended up working.

I didn't know about the GPD mapper so I'll use 3.4.2. Everything I was doing was just to test and see if I could do it. So 3.4.2 should go the same as 3.4.9. So if i use 3.4.2 I dont change mali.

So as long as I follow everything I should be ok. Oh how about wifi tweaks, where are they? system/lib/modules ?

skelton

« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »
The wifi tweaks are inside boot,img, in a rc file, I just increase buffering time that helps a little bit. If you are using my boot.img then you already have it.
In 3,4,2 you would just need to replace gamepad.apk to have all modes including NULL, but mali drivers will be the good ones, so probably easier just to change an apk than several files for mali using 3.4.9.
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2017, 05:02:36 pm »
Ok this should be enough for me to get a working copy of legacy rom and twrp. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thnx again for your help. Maybe after it is done I could maybe add more init scripts to tweak the rom even further.

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2017, 01:00:41 am »
None of what I was doing was working. It only worked if I went through all the individual steps and installed everything separately.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1974014

so now maybe I will try to change your system.img to ext4

I have a question though, I am unfamiliar with the size ( block size ) or whatever. Could you maybe explain it to me. I'm not sure what to do.

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2017, 01:59:23 am »
Skelton, my Spaniard friend..... Oh my lord. I just don't know what to say.
After all that hassle and all that hair I pulled out of my head, and all that frustration that I cause in myself and I am sure I was getting you frustrated with me being such a nub.....

That link worked. Your rom is converted into ext4.

Now I can extract your rom, modify it any way I like, convert it (ext4) and repack it and TWRP loves it.

thus the new Legacy S8 Rom's birth has arrived.

I will not forget this my friend, thank you a bunch! I still have a bunch of work and research to do, but it should be relatively easy from here on out.

What do you think of these init.d tweaks : https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2360670
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:31:25 am by PsyOps »

skelton

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2017, 09:39:14 am »
I never tried those script, some people say they work, some other are placebo to me. But feel free to try them and see if you see some difference
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2017, 06:12:48 pm »
After playing with them and doing benchmark, they dont really do anything as far as the score. The only noticeable difference is apps seems to be brought up faster. on the homescreen and stuff. I just dumped a bunch of scripts in there just to see what would work.

If there is anything that you wanted to do to rom but never did?

You did really great with rom and I don't know if there are any tweaks to be made. I am going to try to focus mods on new user friendliness and still try and make it minimal. Right now the only difference is to the rom I would create would be that system is ext4 and I would add twrp , twrp manager, and probably esfileexplorer to the install. So it is not worth repacking yet.

Is there any noticeable performance difference between having system formatted ext3 and ext4? I want to take the Legacy Roms I host and convert system to ext4 and add a change to Build.prop with a small change like a ".01" or something. That way all new users could use twrp if needed without any needed conversion. But I dont want to do that if there is ANY change in the way the rom performs or acts.

I also tried taking your rom and using the updater with the new ext4 and it installs just fine.

What are your thoughts on all of this?

skelton

« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2017, 06:35:52 pm »
There shouldn't be any difference in performance. About things that i didn't add, not really. I like very minimal ROMs with essential patches and that's It. I never include customization except a bootanimation and no more. Today with xposed framework people can customize at their own. The same as Launcher, i just include standard Launcher because in the end people use the one they like most. I only would do an update if there was a Big update from gpd, but i think that won't happen (and also if i got a New xd of course, but almost nobody donated a coffee,so i couldn't get a second unit for developing purpose only)
 I don't think gpd updates xd anymore anyway, probably they are already thinking in the upgraded model I guess. The q9 has already been discontinued and probably xd Will be soon.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:38:46 pm by skelton »
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2017, 07:11:06 pm »
Yes I agree that is why I most likely just reformat your roms to ext4. Then I will make a software bundle installer with aroma installer to include the most popular apps that people use with the xd. It is the biggest reason for me to format your rom, twrp has touch capabilities and it will make it much easier.

If there is a release for new model GPD XD I will be the first to start funding you for a new one. I do NOT have much money to give but I certainly would give what I could to get you started. Having you dev for the new gpd is a must. Right now I have to put ads up at sectioneight.net to cover cost of hosting the files(very very little comes in). I absolutely hate going to a site and trying to download files that are hosted in so sketchy file host with a ton of spyware/malware. So I host all the files myself to try and help gpd users out. So yeh I feel your pain of not getting anything back hehe.

Out of curiosity do you do any programming? Maybe we need to team up and put some apps on the market =).

Ok so I need to ask you:
Do you have any problem with me conevrting your roms on my site to ext4, so that all the new users that go to my site and download LegacyRom 1.8GHz will now get a new LegacyRom 1.8GHz (ext4)? I will not change anything on the site that will confuse people but I will include it in a note.
If so what should I change in the build prop to reflect change, so that it doesn't affect functionality or rom? Like a (ext4) or a (.01) or something. I just need something there so if someone says "My twrp doesn't work", I can tell them to look in settings and look for xxx to see what version they have.

skelton

« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »
No problem if you want to repack them to ext4.

I don't do programming. I started as a hobby, but the lack of time destroyed my hopes... ahaha. In fact, I am quite done with android firmwares for the same reason, they need time and I currently don't have much, so I prefer to spend it playing or just with the family.
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »
Do you remember if you used 720mb for system size?

skelton

« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2017, 08:30:25 pm »
I don't remember, probably is about that. Partition for system is until in parameter file so you can fill it until that.
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2017, 09:06:43 pm »
How about any build.prop or file tweak that will make 1.8GHZ kernel work at 1.4?

also

This should work yes? ( the screenshot )

skelton

« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2017, 10:04:05 pm »
Screenshot is ok. You cannot control cpu speed in build.prop. that's a kernel thing.
Retired

Post a new topic