Author Topic: Preliminary concept design of Windows 10 handheld device  (Read 53017 times)

kendyzhu777 (OP)

Preliminary concept design of Windows 10 handheld device
« on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:55 am »
Hey~Our Preliminary concept design have been forming!!!How do you think about it? If you have any kind recommendation,please be free to sent a email to our technical team :[email protected] ,the name is Kelvin.communication with the technical person may more accuracy and effective than I pass on~~Thanks so much for your kind concerns!!any recommendation,we will check it carefully and consider it as important references!!

radiohead14

Re: Preliminary concept design of Windows 10 handheld device
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:52:03 am »
I can imagine having a lot of accidental presses on the keyboard with that layout.

eragon2890

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 09:15:11 am »
I can imagine having a lot of accidental presses on the keyboard with that layout.

Agreed but the alternative is making it even smaller...

I agree with what most others said: remove those side columns.

I have a question... I can only see two shoulder buttons... there are four right? also, where are l3 and r3? Both 4 shoulder buttons and l3/r3 are absolutely ESSENTIAL for games like dead space, cod modern warfare 3, etc. These games run fine on the chipsets but use l3/r3.

Also, 4 shoulder buttons if they are look to be again using the new 3ds XL layout. With android on the XD I have gotten used to it and it works fine, mostly not used in fps's or only used for switching weapons for which they work great, but when gamestreaming I notice it?s a pain because the triggers on xbox360 controller map to l2 and r2. In practice I never gamestream on it anyway, but please please please put them above each other ar make sure l1 and r1, the outern ones, map to the xbox360's trigger buttons and not the bumpers so that in borderlands and the like we can aim down sight and shoot using l1 and r1 respectively instead of l2 and r2. :)

Verdugo

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:20:19 am »
Ugh, the previous designs were all better than this one   :-\

vcoleiro1

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 09:34:38 am »
Love it,     

P.S For those concerned about hitting keys accidentally, bear in mind this scheme is present on the Pandora, and keys are not hit accidentally.  Your thumbs are on the controls, to hit the keys , you need to physically move them onto the keys.  I understand the question, but in reality, it doesn't occur.  The only thing that needs changing from this design is to lose the columns of keys on the right side, to make all keys single width except for the space key (double with) . Then increase the spacing between keys and centre the keyboard (due to the removal of the right side keys). Power etc can be moved between the joysticks as with the XD
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:23:10 am by vcoleiro1 »

ker

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:32 am »
You can look at Pyra handheld to take ideas ;-)

Deen0X

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
NOOOOOO!

please DON'T CHANGE THE CURRENT GPD-XD LAYOUT

:(

­

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 12:16:34 pm »
Deen0X, why don't you send your designs to their email directly? I think there's a bit of a disconnect between them and us (mainly them thinking this board is just a one way street to deliver ads).

Saturos

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 01:08:10 pm »
why change gpd xd layout, the best layout of handled consoles? I don't know WHY

Verdugo

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 01:22:41 pm »
NOOOOOO!

please DON'T CHANGE THE CURRENT GPD-XD LAYOUT

:(

Yes, I second this sentiment.
The current layout doesn't seem optimal for a gaming handheld.

AVahne

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 01:33:07 pm »
Looks like you're taking influence from Pandora and Pyra, which can be a good thing if you're going for a handheld with built in keyboard. However, I think you're going to want to take a closer look at the Pyra's current layout and mimic it better. Your current design is a little cluttered and doesn't have enough emphasis on gaming.
A keyboard would be great but please get the gaming part right, too.
Also please tell me there's L2 and R2 and that the sticks this time are the kind that click for L3 and R3.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 01:37:33 pm by AVahne »

fetarius

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 02:36:25 pm »
Hey~Our Preliminary concept design have been forming!!!How do you think about it? If you have any kind recommendation,please be free to sent a email to our technical team :[email protected] ,the name is Kelvin.communication with the technical person may more accuracy and effective than I pass on~~Thanks so much for your kind concerns!!any recommendation,we will check it carefully and consider it as important references!!

I can see myself hitting keys all the time while playing, it is an interesting design, but not very practical.  Hey since we have someone from GPD, can we have an update.zip for the Q9 with a 1.6 or 1.8 kernel for those who want it?  1.4 is a little slow for some games.

I would personally prefer to see a GPD tablet similar to the JXD S192.

Deen0X

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 02:40:50 pm »
my last concepts...

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190317084317/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=381mG4dpTuw" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=381mG4dpTuw</a>

last one, is the embebbed keyboard. i tried to keep the current layout, but move a little bit buttons and dpad to the borders, to give more space to keyboard (to avoid accidental pressings)

my current favorite is the side slider keyboard... ^_^

Deen0X

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 04:14:14 pm »
and there is a (must have in my opinion) accesory for the device:

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190317084317/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5QKU93rUK0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5QKU93rUK0</a>

A docking station

this docking station have the following features:
- HUB 3.0, 7 ports
- Card reader
- headphone plug
- 1 Gbit ethernet
- HDMI Output
- Fan cooler
- Power in (for charge the device and supply power for devices pluged on USB ports)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:23:47 pm by Deen0X »

SNESFAN

Preliminary concept design of Windows 10 handheld device
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 04:28:57 pm »
@GPD I think it looks outstanding, would buy

however keep the current XD's Shoulder buttons. The XD's shoulder buttons are my favorite on any device.

And the q9 looks to have one of the best Dpads so would use that style instead
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:34:02 pm by SNESFAN »
Using Tapatalk

redlemon

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 04:40:21 pm »
Other than maybe a more compact keyboard that design looks alright. I wasn't sure about the dpad and buttons being so close to the edge when I first saw it but I checked my 3DSXL and it was pretty similar.
Do you know the planned physical dimensions?

acid

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 07:50:16 pm »
Yes please! Finally something to rival the Pandora. Will buy if the price is right.

kendyzhu777 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:19 am »
Any recommendation,please be free to sent a email to our Tech team:[email protected].Looking forward to discuss design with you all !!

AVahne

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 03:27:48 am »
Yes please! Finally something to rival the Pandora. Will buy if the price is right.

Considering the amount of power this could pack, it's more of a rival for the yet-to-be-released Pyra. Will be interesting to see how people react to them both.

lemmywinks

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:44 am »
Considering the amount of power this could pack, it's more of a rival for the yet-to-be-released Pyra. Will be interesting to see how people react to them both.

I think a Windows handheld would eclipse both by a fair margin, there's no competition for the software library it would offer. That's without even considering the price difference which is going to be huge.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Post a new topic