Author Topic: Original GPD XD vs GPD XD +  (Read 402 times)

MOFO (OP)

Original GPD XD vs GPD XD +
« on: December 04, 2018, 02:28:37 pm »
I have been thinking of buying the new XD+ ( old one still going strong but showing some wear and tear) .
Things I would like to know before buying.
1. Does it run games any better than the original XD?
2. How are the emulators on the XD+?
I know people are going to say install clean rom but before doing that I want to know how the stock versions run, and if they are the same as the first XD.
3. Are the buttons, sticks and D-pad any better?
4. Does GOW on PPSSPP run better or any other PSP games?
Trying to gauge its power and to see if it?s worth getting a new one even if my original XD still runs pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:32:31 pm by MOFO »

votemarvel

Re: Original GPD XD vs GPD XD +
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:18:53 am »
Build quality wise I don't feel any difference, maybe the hinge is a little tighter but that could simply be down to the age and use of my original XD.

Gamewise you can get a few extra frames out of the more demanding PSP titles but Gamecube is still out of the realm of possibility. Saturn emulation is actually worse due to the broken GPU drivers and it doesn't look like these are ever going to be fixed. There is also a screen refresh issue that can affect some emulators but it's a small issue that really depends on your tolerance.

I found putting the custom ROM on the device to be a real pain but it did eventually install.  The stock rom runs well enough, the main difference I could see was of course the device was now rooted.

Personally I would say that if your original XD is still going strong then stick with it and wait to see if they come up with a GPD XD 2 as the XD+ refresh isn't a big enough jump over the original.

MOFO (OP)

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:29:41 am »
Thanks for the honest opinion, surprisingly my original XD still works great.
Are they even working on a XD 2?
I remember it was talked about by GPD a while back but havent heard anything since.

skelton

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:42:07 am »
Thanks for the honest opinion, surprisingly my original XD still works great.
Are they even working on a XD 2?
I remember it was talked about by GPD a while back but havent heard anything since.

There won't be more XDs as far as I know, unless GPD change their minds,
Retired

MOFO (OP)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:33 pm »
Well that sucks!
So the GPD XD+ is going to be there last Android handheld?

skelton

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:12:48 pm »
Well that sucks!
So the GPD XD+ is going to be there last Android handheld?
It seems so. But to be honest, at the price of Xd+ there are some win 1 that have much better emulation. Or some phones with a controller.
Retired

votemarvel

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 02:52:21 am »
I have the GPD Win 1 and it is the better emulation device than either of the XD versions. I still play more on my original XD though because I find the analogue stick and dpad positions to be far more comfortable to play with.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic