Author Topic: New to GPD  (Read 676 times)

SilentRunner (OP)

New to GPD
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
Hi Everyone

Im new to the GPD scene and have just ordered the GPD XD (32gb) from aliexpress im from the UK. I just had a few questions.

1. I see Happychick comes installed on the unit but I had a slight concern which was when I looked into this it seems Happychick requires an awful lot of permissions that seemed alittle weird. Would it be safe to use my normal google account on this unit. Im just alittle concerned about the safety of this unit coming from another country and data theft also because happy chick is not on the appstore. Maybe im being paranoid lol

2. Im alittle confused I have seen people recommending others to flash the unit with something called legacy rom when they receive the unit. Is this something I should do too or only for certain models.

3. For other owners is there anything you can recommend to me or any tips to get the most out of the unit. I have done abit of reading and have a fair idea of what im going to do but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks (:

PsyOps

• Section Eight
Re: New to GPD
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:49:46 pm »
Hi silent and welcome. I'm not 100% on happy chick myself. Maybe just paranoid but I can do my own downloading n stuff.

Have a read here: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/gpd-xd-cover-art/  (this thread is for GPD XD the model you have)

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will try to help where I can.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:20:07 pm »
1 - I don't remember anyone having trouble since many people seems to use HappyChick. Anyway, you need to know it's a 100% pirate software that uses cracked apps and games, so there's this potentiality. I would recommend to avoid it, but it's up to you.

2 - The legacy rom (Skelton's courtesy) is available to all models. You probably noticed that the legacy rom came full of apps, emulators and other bloatware that you may enjoy it or not. Legacy Rom has a different approach, it's a optional firmware that Skelton has developed that comes as clean as possible and it's highly optimized. There's no HappyChick, although you can download it. This rom is faster and allows you to reach 1.8ghz, since the stock firmware would allow only a maximum of 1.4ghz. Also worth mentioning is that since version 3.4.2 the stock rom has the bad mali drivers (graphics drivers) that won't allow you to play sega saturn using yabause. The legacy rom has the good mali drivers. Surely you will have a lot of fun using the stock firmware, but the best option it's clearly Legacy Rom:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/(rom)-legacyrom-kitkat-for-gpd-xd/

3 - Since the legacy rom it's already optimized there won't be much else to do. I just replaced my launcher with Smart Launcher Pro which is the best for a gaming device (in my opinion). You can also use a app to control cpu frequency like nofrills, setcpu or any other depending on what you are intending to play. Also i'm using greenify to hibernate a few apps, but basically that's it.

SilentRunner (OP)

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:03 am »
Hi guys thanks for your replies much appreciated will folllow your advice (:

Doopysdad

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:09:42 am »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic