• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Mame4droid 1.5 "No available roms found"  (Read 13593 times)

azwel2 (OP)

Mame4droid 1.5 "No available roms found"
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »
Just got this XD the other day. And I get "No available roms found" for mame4droid.  I pointed it to my rom folder on the external and it still doesnt find.. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

waisoserious

Re: Mame4droid 1.5 "No available roms found"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:27:18 am »
i had the same issue. i gave up and went back to happychick

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:03:27 am »
I have another version of mame too and it detects  some roms, but doesnt play most.   i see many people on youtube playing games on mame and im wondering how

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 01:26:04 am »

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 02:02:14 am »
Ive found a really good program called fba4droid.  Seems to work well.

jpino3786

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:26:26 pm »
Just got this XD the other day. And I get "No available roms found" for mame4droid.  I pointed it to my rom folder on the external and it still doesnt find.. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

I have MAME4Droid running no problem and never had a problem with it finding Roms as long as its directed to the correct folder on your external SD card.  I have a feeling it's not.  What you need to do is make sure when you select the file path within MAME4Droid, you keep on pressing the back button till you see a folder called /mnt This is access to your external SD.  There is another folder before you get to the /mnt folder that says external SD but that is not your actual external SD card. Extremely misleading.  After you select your folder with your MAME roms within your external SD card, you need to exit MAME4Droid and clear it in your background from your GPD desktop/launcher so it's completely closed.  This refreshes the app so it scans when it opens for the first time.  Every time you add new roms to the folder, you must do this otherwise they will not appear in MAME4Droid.  I hope this helps and works for you all!  Please keep me posted!   :)

alyinsanfran

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 01:48:50 am »
It's possible you have the wrong romset.

But a more likely reason (if I remember correctly) is that Mame4Droid has some slightly off translation. I believe that when it asks you where your romset is, what it's actually asking is where you'd like the Mame file folder to be created. I think what I did is uninstall, run it, tell it where my sd card was and then use the folder it created to drop my roms in to. I think.. It's been a while.

Osiris

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 06:59:45 am »
This mame4droid is a new version ?  why 1.5 ? thanks

Rcoltrane

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 11:18:56 am »
If you seriously want to play MAME games, use Retroarch with the latest MAME cores. MAME4DROID and MAME4DROID Reloaded are way too outdated and it's very hard to find suitable ROMS for these emulators nowadays.

Retroarch also has a more updated FinalBurnAlpha core which is the best option if you want to play CPS2/3 games, it seems to be the fastest for these platforms.

Search for Retroarch's Nightlies builds since the Playstore version is old and won't work with the latest MAME cores. It has its learning curve on how to use but it's worth learning!

One more thing: update your firmware to the latest LegacyROM 1.8Ghz (thanks Skelter :D), you are going to need it to play most part of the games at a decent speed. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:29:17 am by Rcoltrane »

Chris23235

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:06:11 pm »
If you seriously want to play MAME games, use Retroarch with the latest MAME cores. MAME4DROID and MAME4DROID Reloaded are way too outdated and it's very hard to find suitable ROMS for these emulators nowadays.

Retroarch also has a more updated FinalBurnAlpha core which is the best option if you want to play CPS2/3 games, it seems to be the fastest for these platforms.

Search for Retroarch's Nightlies builds since the Playstore version is old and won't work with the latest MAME cores. It has its learning curve on how to use but it's worth learning!

One more thing: update your firmware to the latest LegacyROM 1.8Ghz (thanks Skelter :D), you are going to need it to play most part of the games at a decent speed. Good Luck!

Mame4Droid and Reloaded use the 0.34 and the 0.139 Romsets. Both sets (0.34 and 0.139) can be found without problems on the net. There are good reasons to use Mame4Droid for specific games, because the Mamebuild it is based on had plenty of optimisations to make the games run faster that were removed later in order to achieve greater accuracy.

Both versions run fine on my GPD XD, if Mame4Droid tells you it can't find the roms, your folders aren't set. If I recall correct Mame4Droid asks you where to find the roms, just point to your external SD. The program automatically creates the necessary folders. Just put your roms into the roms folder in the Mame4Droid directory of your SD card.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:08:58 pm by Chris23235 »

alyinsanfran

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 04:51:46 pm »
Agreed. I have absolutely no problem with Mame4Droid on multiple devices, both versions.

Rcoltrane

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »

Mame4Droid and Reloaded use the 0.34 and the 0.139 Romsets. Both sets (0.34 and 0.139) can be found without problems on the net.

If you are saying... :P

There are good reasons to use Mame4Droid for specific games, because the Mamebuild it is based on had plenty of optimisations to make the games run faster that were removed later in order to achieve greater accuracy.

If by 'optimizations'you mean 'speed hacks', I agree with you.

Anyway, to the OP, here we presented your options. It's up to you to decide which option will better suit your needs. And all these options are better than Happy Chick, get rid of it quickly, it's a piece of crap!! Good luck ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:18:54 pm by Rcoltrane »

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:01:14 pm »
Seems it works now.  I went off to other emulators  and then came back to it and its fine.. I did keep fba4droid though.  It plays games that Mame doest....but vice versa as well.  Hopefully they make a combined version one day.

For example Final fight works on fba4drouid but not mame. It even says some files are missing..but  how could it be missing files when it works on fba4droid!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:29:57 pm by azwel2 »

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 04:57:23 pm »
Which emulator does Golden Axe work on. Both I am using fba4droid  and mame4droid (whichever version this is) wont run it.  Surely that game shoul dbe able to play. I played it on my ds with supercardtwo

alyinsanfran

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 05:40:01 pm »
Final fight works on fba4drouid but not mame. It even says some files are missing..but  how could it be missing files when it works on fba4droid!

I'd say that's a romset difference.  FBA probably needs a different set. Many roms have no change between sets but oftentimes many do. 

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 07:52:37 pm »
AH I see now.  Ill download 0.34 and the 0.139 Romsets for mame,  and then  ___ romset for fba.....

perhaps this is the fba4droid one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQpFIl_rPJ4
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:58:29 pm by azwel2 »

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 08:17:58 pm »
actually. I notice there is a mame4droid .37b5  and mame4droid  .139u1
Does it make sense to have both? and each romset to go with them... or no

Skelton-retired

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »
I only use mame4droid 0.139. YouTube can get that romset easily googling. fba4droid uses latest Fba romset which IS easily found too
Retired

azwel2 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 09:13:07 pm »
Im downloading mame .139  and a 6 gig Fba romset.   Then I think ill merge the folders so when i copy the files into one folder itll say which are copies, then ill delete the copies..   I dont want to waste space on my card

Rcoltrane

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 11:09:21 am »
actually. I notice there is a mame4droid .37b5  and mame4droid  .139u1
Does it make sense to have both? and each romset to go with them... or no

.37b5 is MAME4DROID and .139u1 is MAME4DROID Reloaded that came later. The difference, as you can see, is that Reloaded is based upon a 'more recent' MAME version and so, it supports more games. You don't need to keep both of them, keep the latest one and be happy ;)

Post a new topic