Author Topic: Lets talk XD issues  (Read 175280 times)

LordDavon (OP)

Lets talk XD issues
« on: August 29, 2015, 07:09:57 am »
So, I know a lot of people are really enjoying their XD.  I see more than enough praise and love being thrown at it, but almost everyone talking about how great it is also discusses issues that they have with it.  These issues are getting lost in the praise.  I understand that it is easy to love many things about a device when it is new, but these little issues that people are overlooking now can becoming nagging annoyances once the "new" wears off.

I thought it would be good to get a handle on the issues/complaints for the device, so we can submit them to GPD to fix for the next version, and also see what we would like fixed in custom ROMs or in workarounds.

The intention of this thread is only to discuss issues and fixes.  It is not intended to flame or trash the device, or the people discussing issues.  This is for benefit of the GPD XD by helping improve it and future versions.

Skelton's LegacyROM KitKat for GPD's XD
Dingoonity Forum Location: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/(rom)-legacyrom-kitkat-for-gpd-xd/

GPD's Firmware Downloads
FileDropper Mirror of GPD's v3.3.8 English Firmware: http://www.filedropper.com/xdv338englishfirmware
FileDropper Mirror of v3.4.2 English Firmware (Non SU): http://www.filedropper.com/xdv342englishfirmware
FileDropper Mirror of v3.4.2 English Firmware (Non SU) Clean: http://www.filedropper.com/xdv342englishfirmwarenonemulatorsandmetro
FileDropper Mirror of v3.4.4 English Firmware (Non SU) New (Worse?) Mali Drivers: http://www.filedropper.com/xdv344englishfirmware
FileDropper Mirror of v3.4.5 English Firmware (Non SU) Still New Mali Drivers: http://www.filedropper.com/xdv345englishfirmware
FileDropper Mirror of v3.4.6 English Firmware (Non SU):
http://www.filedropper.com/xdv346englishfirmware
------------------------------
FileDropper Mirror of SU Update.Zip for v3.3.9 or higher: http://www.filedropper.com/update
FileDropper Mirror of XD GMS (Google Mobile Services): http://www.filedropper.com/xdgms
FileDropper Mirror of v1.2 English Addons: http://www.filedropper.com/xdv12englishaddon
   Where I get the firmware and Addon Files:
   GPD's Baidu File Location: http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=389368662&view=share#category/type=0

Here are the issues/fixes so far:

Missing Features
Bluetooth
Clickable Joysticks (R3/L3 style)
No GPS

Problems Found
Poor Wifi Strength
Loose Battery
Whining Noise Coming From Device
Sound Crackles From Speakers
Stock Governor Gives Poor Performance/Underclocked
Loud L1-3/R1-3 Buttons (to some)
DPad Mushy/Poor Response
Hinge Sound @ 90 Degrees or Higher
Blue 32GB Color Coating Chips Off
Scrolling Bounce (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnLZSaT46Gc)
Horrible Screen Latency when outputting to TV.

Problems Fixed/Worked Around
Stock Governor Gives Poor Performance/Underclocked - Set Governor to OnDemand
Poor Wifi Strength - Some report improvement in Firmware v3.3.6
Whining Noise Coming From Device - Some report improvement in Firmware v3.3.5+
Horrible Screen Latency when outputting to TV.
        - Make sure your TV is not performing extra processing on the HDMI input. 
        - Ensure you actually have the HDMI connected *before* you boot the XD.

If you know of any more issues, please post below.  We can add it to the list so GPD and ROM creators know what issues we'd like fixed.

Update: Added a mirror of GPD's 3.4.2 Firmware Downloads ( Both Non SU).  Cleaned firmware is without Emu and Metro Home.
Update: Added a link to Skelton's Legacy ROM.
Update: Cleaned up the mirrors a little.
Update: Added a mirror of GPD's 3.4.4 Firmware.
Update: Added a mirror of GPD's 3.4.5 Firmware.
Update: Added a mirror of GPD's 3.4.6 Firmware.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:44:35 am by LordDavon »

Dual

Re: Lets talk XD issues
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:33:41 pm »
 :-*
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:23:30 pm by Dual »

SONY

• !
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:31:22 pm »
Important quote below.

Also those of you with loose battery or dpad issues please post where you ordered your unit from. This would be helpful to check if certain batches were defective.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

vermillion

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:51:55 pm »
No lose battery and dpad seems fine although a bit small. Got it from Geekbuying.

sphinx

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:42:38 am »
Ordered from Geekbuying.

Issues:
Hinge sound at 90 degree angle (Open/Close starting from this angle).
WiFi poor strength.

Required:
Bluetooth.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:45:34 am by sphinx »

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:54:59 pm »
The biggest issue I've got so far is with the firmware -- after a reboot the device doesn't want to boot, unless I wipe/reflash the firmware.

So... hoping that's fixable and not just an issue with my unit.

Other than that:

- lack of Bluetooth
- the angles for the hinge
- the L2/R2 button position and noise

skelton

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:41:47 pm »
The biggest issue I've got so far is with the firmware -- after a reboot the device doesn't want to boot, unless I wipe/reflash the firmware.

That sounds like a defective unit to me. If after a reflash is still no booting after a reboot I think the unit is defective.
Retired

keldridge00

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »
My HDMI out has green vertical lines throughout the screen when connected.

I have tested my cable with other tablets and the cable is working properly.  Anyone else have this issue?

I bought mine from Geek Buying and I have notified them of this issue.  This  is a HUGE problem for me since I will be hooking this up to TVs in hotel rooms to game on my business travels.

DungeonsDragons

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:14:33 pm »

I have tested my cable with other tablets and the cable is working properly.  Anyone else have this issue?

I bought mine from Geek Buying and I have notified them of this issue.  This  is a HUGE problem for me since I will be hooking this up to TVs in hotel rooms to game on my business travels.

sounding more and more like this a another cheaply made device , such a shame glad i didnt pull the trigger on one. back to the psp go for my old school emulation i guess

raffyPH

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:16:00 pm »
subscribed!

not so sure though if id get one  :P

SNESFAN

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 01:17:46 am »
sounding more and more like this a another cheaply made device , such a shame glad i didnt pull the trigger on one. back to the psp go for my old school emulation i guess

I don't agree this thread is representative of the device quality as a whole. I think the intention of the thread was to collect the random little problems some people have reported. The issues some are having really sound like RMA issues. Sure better QC should have been used before shipping. Especially in the situation of the loose battery. These are defects, and not normal. My battery on the first nvidia shield died after like 10 charges, doesn't mean the battery was designed to only last10 charges.

Its important when reading this thread to separate specific people's problems with design problems. The poor wifi is a design problem. The CPU whine is not as designed for example.
Using Tapatalk

philexile

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:36 am »
SNESFan (or anybody else),

I was considering picking one of these up. I currently have a JXD 7800b which works pretty well, but it is a little too big for my commute.

How would the XD compare as a more portable alternative? I was really impressed with emulation on the JXD ? NES, SNES, Mega Drive, GBA. Also, the screen was really impressive.

Is the XD comparable in quality?

Best Regards!

SNESFAN

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 04:26:19 am »
SNESFan (or anybody else),

I was considering picking one of these up. I currently have a JXD 7800b which works pretty well, but it is a little too big for my commute.

How would the XD compare as a more portable alternative? I was really impressed with emulation on the JXD ? NES, SNES, Mega Drive, GBA. Also, the screen was really impressive.

Is the XD comparable in quality?

Best Regards!
There are plenty of threads to talk about if you should get one. I would recommend taking this discussion to one of those threads.

That said. I had the JXD S5800 (S7800's 5 inch counterpart) and the XD tops that device hands down. The screen is better, performance in retro gaming is noticeably better in the higher end emulation, but it's at least as good for the older systems. I felt the build quality in the JXD 5800/7800 was really good, but the XD is at least the same level of build quality.
Using Tapatalk

Deen0X

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 05:59:57 am »

i don?t agree. i didn?t tested yet the device, but this thread is collecting all small issues that people have with the device, and of course if you based your opinion on this thread, where 99% will be problems, then you will get a bad opinion.

is the same that if i open a thread for collecting issues with XOne or PS4. of course, the thread is about issues, and if you read this thread for opinions, you will get a bad feeling about those devices. right?

i suggest to you to check another threads where people are talking about the device.

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »
This thread is not indicative of the device's quality, as it is only discussing (and highlighting) the issues with the devices.  Any time a thread focuses only on the issues, it will make anything look bad.  There is a lot of great with the GPD XD also.

Many people are praising this device in other threads.  Please look there to get the opinions on the device.

keldridge00

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 04:40:03 pm »
This thread is not indicative of the device's quality, as it is only discussing (and highlighting) the issues with the devices.  Any time a thread focuses only on the issues, it will make anything look bad.  There is a lot of great with the GPD XD also.

Many people are praising this device in other threads.  Please look there to get the opinions on the device.

I agree with this.  I love the XD, playing it right now as a matter of fact.  However the HDMI issue I commented above is a topic I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed.

jonlad

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:51 pm »

Has anyone else seen this issue? HDMI out would be important for me, hopefully can be fixed in FW?

eragon2890

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 09:10:36 pm »
No issue with HDMI on mine.

eragon2890

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »
Okay, I am gonna post this here as well: (sorry for double posting and bold, but I believe everyone should know this, can save people a lot of trouble with whobbly screens in the long run)

It may seem natural and easy, but do not push the screen open beyond second lock. Sorry for double posting this, but you put pressure on the screen, and after me doing this dozens of times over the few days I have had it, on both sides the screen plate is not slightly bend. It's not a problem at all yet because it's build very solidly and if I stop doing it now it will never be,  but this really is something you should notice.

Keep it at lock 2!

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:23 pm »
agree with this.  I love the XD, playing it right now as a matter of fact.  However the HDMI issue I commented above is a topic I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed.

Mine just arrived, so after I play with it for a bit, I will give this a test.  I have a Blue 32GB from GeekBuying.

Post a new topic