Author Topic: Home and Recent disabled?  (Read 3838 times)

Olonas (OP)

Re: Home and Recent disabled?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:25:26 pm »
I cannot check a nandroid because I don't have my XD anymore.
sorry i meant psyops...

btw, im having trouble uploading my rom due to size and upload bandwidth speed.
for the time i have all my apps in screenshots.
all apps are paid (not pirated)
i will test freezing apps with titanium during the weekend.
https://prnt.sc/g6h7r0
https://prnt.sc/g6h75u
https://prnt.sc/g6h7xr

in the meantime If anyone sees something out of place let me know.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
Ok bud I have your backup installed. So how do you spend your time on your gpd xd?

I went through each app and messed with them ( without logging into a play or amazon account )
I turn it off and on and try it over again.
I have tried provoking it by yelling at the gpd and calling it's mother many nasty names.

so now it is just a waiting game. A stand off! ( i am giving the gpd the evil eye )

Olonas (OP)

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:46:16 pm »
To be honest I haven't really used it that much, mostly due to the fact that it's not working properly. I just pay some ps games and a little Minecraft but other than that I just try to setup my desktop.
If it works it will work until you restart it. If the buttons don't work from boot, they will not work until I restart it.
I really don't know what triggers this behavior. Maybe my USB port detects stuff like you said a couple days ago?

Sent from my SM-G950N using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:04:01 pm by olonas »

Olonas (OP)

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:53 pm »
Should I open it and check the flex cables?... Would that behavior be normal if the flex isn't positioned correctly?... I really don't want to send it back. I got it off of gearbest on sale and the shipping will kill its price :(

CommanderKitler

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 09:42:01 am »
I thought I was the only one experiencing that problem. Home and recent buttons stop working- didn't try connecting it to the PC when that happens so I don't know about those problems. It happens rarely ( maybe once in 2 months) and rebooting consistently fixed it for me so I didn't look into it yet. Next time I experience that problem I will check logcat and dmesg.

When I look at the apps I share a couple of them with you: Humble bundle, Kernel Adiutor, ES file explorer, MX Player, DraStic and ppsspp. So if it's an app causing this behavior it should be one of those.

I would try deleting those apps and check if the problem occurs but it happens so rarely and incosnsistently...I just rather reboot when it happens.

Should I open it and check the flex cables?... Would that behavior be normal if the flex isn't positioned correctly?... I really don't want to send it back. I got it off of gearbest on sale and the shipping will kill its price :(

Well you're free to try but be warned some of the ribbon cables are a bit fragile and getting replacements for those might prove difficult.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 01:35:05 pm »
Well it is kind of a mystery whether its hardware or software.
On one side I google the problem and get hits related to it from different devices. That tells me it most likely is software. (dunno i may be wrong)
And on the other side of things, Olonas has sent me a copy of his gpd (CWM Backup) and I can not replicate the problem. That tells me it could be hardware.

So confused!

But now that I have the apps narrowed down a bit, once I load his backup again I will focus on those apps. See if i cant get it to do the same thing.

On both cases rebooting clears the problem - doesn't that hint at software problem too?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:37:19 pm by PsyOps »

CommanderKitler

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 08:39:31 am »
On one side I google the problem and get hits related to it from different devices. That tells me it most likely is software. (dunno i may be wrong)
And on the other side of things, Olonas has sent me a copy of his gpd (CWM Backup) and I can not replicate the problem. That tells me it could be hardware.

So confused!

But now that I have the apps narrowed down a bit, once I load his backup again I will focus on those apps. See if i cant get it to do the same thing.

On both cases rebooting clears the problem - doesn't that hint at software problem too?

My first guess would be software too. It could be faulty connections but I really doubt it.

As for why I doubt it, take a look at this picture of the motherboard:
http://imgur.com/kfoe93Q
(source: https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/teardown-of-gpd-xd-system-(blue-32gb)-and-my-thoughts/ )

As you can see the face-buttons are not connected by (ribbon/flex) cables, they're right on the motherboard connected by traces on the pcb. So the issue being caused by a faulty or wrong positioned flex/ribbon cable is extremely unlikely. Depending on how the XD handles the inputs from the built-in buttons, a loose connection to the L1/L2/R1/R2 buttons could change the XD's input handling until the controls are set up again on the next boot but given that neither me or olonas experienced any issues with those buttons I doubt that this is the case.

The biggest issue with fixing this is probably reproducing the bug in the first place. Sometimes it just happens right after booting and sometimes it  happens after minutes/hours of gaming/standby/watching videos/etc. with no easily identifiable trigger.

We can only hope that the problem occurs again and then looking at logcat/dmesg before rebooting.

Olonas (OP)

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »

So confused!

My first guess would be software too. It could be faulty connections but I really doubt it.

(source: https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/teardown-of-gpd-xd-system-(blue-32gb)-and-my-thoughts/ )

As you can see the face-buttons are not connected by (ribbon/flex) cables, they're right on the motherboard connected by traces on the pcb. So the issue being caused by a faulty or wrong positioned flex/ribbon cable is extremely unlikely. Depending on how the XD handles the inputs from the built-in buttons, a loose connection to the L1/L2/R1/R2 buttons could change the XD's input handling until the controls are set up again on the next boot but given that neither me or olonas experienced any issues with those buttons I doubt that this is the case.

The biggest issue with fixing this is probably reproducing the bug in the first place. Sometimes it just happens right after booting and sometimes it  happens after minutes/hours of gaming/standby/watching videos/etc. with no easily identifiable trigger.

We can only hope that the problem occurs again and then looking at logcat/dmesg before rebooting.
OMG another one!!!
Well if you check my previous posts, I have uploaded two dsmegs. When working and when not. Maybe you can have a look too.
Unfortunately mine doesn't do this once or twice a month but every other boot or so. :(
I have managed to ninja through this by using a virtual home button instead of buttons and es explorer ftp instead of usb when this happens.

CommanderKitler

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 01:53:34 pm »

So confused!

OMG another one!!!
Well if you check my previous posts, I have uploaded two dsmegs. When working and when not. Maybe you can have a look too.
Unfortunately mine doesn't do this once or twice a month but every other boot or so. :(
I have managed to ninja through this by using a virtual home button instead of buttons and es explorer ftp instead of usb when this happens.

I copied and pasted the terminal outputs into 2 files called working and notworking and ran them through my linux PC terminal with 'vim -d working notworking' which shows the files side by side with the differences highlighted.

I found a couple of weird things like for instance orphaned inodes in the EXT file system indicating that the XD wasn't shutdown properly (usually happens in the situation of a crash or an empty battery.) but this was present in both files.
The main differences I found was that you had it connected to the charger when you took the working dmesg
and more importantly this in the not working dmesg:

Code: [Select]
<4>[  131.066541] ### joystick_resume ###
<3>[  131.085085] sf_joystick 4-0046: joystick_read_regs fail:-11!
<3>[  131.087146] sf_joystick 4-0046: joystick_read_regs fail:-11!

This looks promising so i'm gonna do some research into it.

UPDATE: after scraping google for the error message I found only one instance of this appearing before and it's on a thread on this same forum from 2014:

https://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-1-6ghz-(tweaked-vsync-fix)-minimal-rom-wother-fixes-(by-webclaw)/345/

A couple of users are experiencing this error in dmesg but they don't seem to have problems with the buttons on a JXD s7800 running a RK3188 and a custom rom. The rom author brushes it off as something that happens a lot on Rockchip devices, doesn't cause any noticable problems and nobody knows what it means.

So I deduce: either this is our culprit or it is not and it appearing on this system startup is just a freak accident. If it isn't the culprit, The error lies somewhere in the software above the kernel (very possible) or somewhere in the hardware
without the kernel noticing (highly improbable).
The kernel ringbuffer is not much to go on by. Next time you experience that problem you should open the terminal and run 'logcat' and after that press the home/recent button a couple times and see if something happens. I will try the same if the problem occurs again and cross my fingers that there will be any interesting output.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:31:03 pm by CommanderKitler »

skelton

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 02:08:04 pm »
Sf_joystick is the gpd mapper virtual joystick, but it's not related to adc-js which is the joystick driver or rk29 keyboard which is the keyboard buttons that fail. I never had that issue and never was able to reproduce it.
Retired

Olonas (OP)

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 04:23:48 pm »
Next time you experience that problem you should open the terminal and run 'logcat' and after that press the home/recent button a couple times and see if something happens. I will try the same if the problem occurs again and cross my fingers that there will be any interesting output.

So, i just rebooted my gpd and it happened again. Nothing connected to the usb at the moment!
I ran logcat on terminal emulator (not sure if this app is ok) and a bunch of stuff started scrolling on the screen.
while pressing the home and recent buttons, i did notice something appearing in terminal but it scrolls too fast to read or even understand.
Is there a command to automatically export the logcat to a txt or something?
Or just pm me somewhere to run any tests you need while this is faulty. I'm fairly capable with pc and android but not at all with terminal.

Also, just noticed this
I found a couple of weird things like for instance orphaned inodes in the EXT file system indicating that the XD wasn't shutdown properly (usually happens in the situation of a crash or an empty battery.) but this was present in both files.
I have never let it drain completely or shutdown improperly and it hasn't crashed or seen any force closes at all despite the issue.
I always use the power menu.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:19:20 pm by olonas »

CommanderKitler

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
Next time you experience that problem you should open the terminal and run 'logcat' and after that press the home/recent button a couple times and see if something happens. I will try the same if the problem occurs again and cross my fingers that there will be any interesting output.

So, i just rebooted my gpd and it happened again. Nothing connected to the usb at the moment!
I ran logcat on terminal emulator (not sure if this app is ok) and a bunch of stuff started scrolling on the screen.
while pressing the home and recent buttons, i did notice something appearing in terminal but it scrolls too fast to read or even understand.
Is there a command to automatically export the logcat to a txt or something?
Or just pm me somewhere to run any tests you need while this is faulty. I'm fairly capable with pc and android but not at all with terminal.

Also, just noticed this
I have never let it drain completely or shutdown improperly and it hasn't crashed or seen any force closes at all despite the issue.
I always use the power menu.

There are several logcat apps on the playstore. I use 'aLogcat' you can filter in it using strings or regular expressions and save th output to a textfile. for me it just prints out a couple of lines (5 or 6) when pressing the recent button (without the bug occuring) so we might be onto something with this (my app settings are; level:verbose ,Format:brief, Buffer:main).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:27:32 pm by CommanderKitler »

Olonas (OP)

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 06:46:25 pm »

CommanderKitler

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 12:46:41 pm »
I am sure now that at least in my case it is some kind of software related problem.

When the bug happens and home and recent are disabled, you can still hold the recents button to open up in-app dropdown menus in apps that have such a menu (like the aLogcat ROOT app for instance) so it seems the buttons do still work and are recognized by the OS but it just won't open the recent panel or use the home button. It's like multitasking is disabled  ??? .

I can not consistently reproduce it but after constantly rebooting for an hour it happened again. This time I had "Virtual SoftKeys" installed, an app that gives you the virtual back-, home- and recents-keys at the bottom of the screen and with it I CAN open the
recents panel but I CAN NOT get the virtual home button working.

I have taken a look through olonas' and some of my logcats but I cannot find a distinctive cause for this behavior.

So far I can say:

- Impacts hardware and software buttons (at least for me)

- Probably a software problem

- Happens at competely random intervals without a recognizable pattern

- always occurs at boot (at least for me)

So if you want to reproduce it, your best chance is to use olonas' backup and shutdown and boot it again til' it happens.

ker

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 03:30:08 pm »
This happens to me from time to time. I just reboot my GPD until buttons work again. It's a software problem for sure.

Enviado desde mi A0001 mediante Tapatalk

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »
it would be nice to find and squash the bug though

Olonas (OP)

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 04:55:22 pm »
I am sure now that at least in my case it is some kind of software related problem.

When the bug happens and home and recent are disabled, you can still hold the recents button to open up in-app dropdown menus in apps that have such a menu (like the aLogcat ROOT app for instance) so it seems the buttons do still work and are recognized by the OS but it just won't open the recent panel or use the home button. It's like multitasking is disabled  ??? .

I can not consistently reproduce it but after constantly rebooting for an hour it happened again. This time I had "Virtual SoftKeys" installed, an app that gives you the virtual back-, home- and recents-keys at the bottom of the screen and with it I CAN open the
recents panel but I CAN NOT get the virtual home button working.

I have taken a look through olonas' and some of my logcats but I cannot find a distinctive cause for this behavior.

So far I can say:

- Impacts hardware and software buttons (at least for me)

- Probably a software problem

- Happens at competely random intervals without a recognizable pattern

- always occurs at boot (at least for me)

So if you want to reproduce it, your best chance is to use olonas' backup and shutdown and boot it again til' it happens.
You are right. I never noticed but my virtual home doesn't work for me either. I use a different app.
Virtual recent works though as yours does.

Myjosito

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 10:51:55 am »
Hi Everyone

I exactly have the same kind of issue.
90% of the time, home & recent buttons are disabled.
So sad... I was really upset with the former device I had (JXD 7800b), and so far, apart some plastic noices when opening or closing the XD, I was quite happy with this one .  ??? ??? ???

Same as other users: it happens at starting the GPDXD (64G/Legacy). And when it happens, connecting through USB to my computer doesn't show anything !

with virtual button at the bottom of the screen (app found on market), I can manage to "simulate" home/recent behaviour. But connection through USB is a real pain in the xx

Surely a SW issue, cutting the link "this button is doing this"... since the home/recent action are still possible through virtual buttons. But I cannot understand why this issue is linked to the USB one. This is quite strange...

I will investigate to remove some apps we have in common... just in case.

and, just to share the info with Olonas: I also bought my device at Gearbest, the 64G one, order the 18th of august. Maybe bad device series ?

Myjosito

siegel17701

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 12:03:58 am »
Hi Everyone

I exactly have the same kind of issue.
90% of the time, home & recent buttons are disabled.
So sad... I was really upset with the former device I had (JXD 7800b), and so far, apart some plastic noices when opening or closing the XD, I was quite happy with this one .  ??? ??? ???

Same as other users: it happens at starting the GPDXD (64G/Legacy). And when it happens, connecting through USB to my computer doesn't show anything !

with virtual button at the bottom of the screen (app found on market), I can manage to "simulate" home/recent behaviour. But connection through USB is a real pain in the xx

Surely a SW issue, cutting the link "this button is doing this"... since the home/recent action are still possible through virtual buttons. But I cannot understand why this issue is linked to the USB one. This is quite strange...

I will investigate to remove some apps we have in common... just in case.

and, just to share the info with Olonas: I also bought my device at Gearbest, the 64G one, order the 18th of august. Maybe bad device series ?

Myjosito
If you figure out what is going on that would be great. It is very annoying rebooting to fix.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:38 am »
I want this bug squashed too.

Regardless if it gets squashed or not you guys should make it a habit of backing up. Install TWRP and every time you make significant changes to your xd make sure and update your backup. This will stop you from suffering with the bug and also may help narrow the problem down to an app or 2.

Post a new topic