Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 131419 times)

Web8bits

• GPD, JXD and Hyperkin distributor in Spain
Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #580 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:18 am »
The USB cable adapter that we sold on our shop:

https://www.micomputer.es/en/cables/313-usb-hub.html

Dont allow to charge the XD from the USB C connector and I think that is a XD "problem" not a specific problem with this adapter.

Regards

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #581 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:20 pm »
I think there are more factors to it. It is more than just the cable does/doesn't work.

I read someones post on one of the reviews for a Y cable that was pretty informative:

1) If you have done your research you probably know this, but devices supporting USB OTG will supply power to the attached USB device. This power comes directly from the phone when there isn't an attached power source on the USB OTG Y cable. On most new Android smartphones this is acceptable as they are supported out of the box via software (custom Kernels and stock and custom ROMs sometimes) and via robust hardware that allows power to be supplied out the same pins on IC boards that the power flows in normally when charging.

This draw across the IC board regulating the power can however be a problem. Normal draw from the USB attached device is rated at USB 2.0 standards. This means that your phone is capable of supplying 500mA @ 5V of power. However a higher draw can possibly brick your phone. If you decide to use OTG without the Female Y port powered, you will want to keep your attached devices within a single USB 2.0 spec power draw. HOWEVER, it has come to my attention (and I have personally experienced) that even staying in the acceptable range of power supply on some phones (Only 1 I have found) will cause the IC power board to "pop", hard bricking the phone. This can occur regardless of your Root, Kernel, and ROM. NOTE: I HAVE ONLY FOUND THIS TO BE A PROBLEM ON THE GALAXY S3 AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPRODUCE IT CONSISTENTLY, BUT THE FORUMS SHOW THAT IT OCCURS VERY RARELY (look on XDA:[...] for more info. Personally I haven't let this put me off as it seems to be a very rare issue). I have also tested various other Samsung Galaxy products, LG, Nexus, and HTC and have only noticed the issue with the GS3. My suspicion is that the IC power board on the GS3 is just not robust enough to handle consistently flipping from charging the phone to providing power and gets weaker over time (this is my personal conjecture but it aligns with some XDAs users beliefs as well). With warranty, my bricked phone was replaced within the week.

2) Next is the reason for some people not noticing charging on their phones. THIS IS NOT THE CABLE'S FAULT! For a device to see itself as charging, a MINIMUM of ~500mA @ 5V (USB 2.0) must be supplied to the smartphone. The Y nature of this cable means that it is splitting the current to the USB device and the smartphone. When you split the current of a 500mA @ 5V charger, both devices attempt to get 250mA @ 5V. This is NOT enough to trigger charging recognition by most devices. Assuming a few things, like that you are using both USB 2.0 spec devices, that means to power both devices and have the smartphone recognize charging, you need 1000mA (1A) to be supplied to the female micro USB port. Now this is where things get... interesting. By USB standards, High speed data transmission can only occur while the phone is getting 500mA. However there is a fast charge standard (Charging Downstream Port standards) that will allow charging currents up to 1500mA and change Voltage being used in data communication. This is all fine and dandy but the only thing is that your attached USB device might not like the higher currents or communications Voltage. (though I did not experience this problem, I am attempting to inform as much as possible from my understanding and experiences) Basically this all boils down to, If you want to use the USB OTG device AND charge your phone, make sure that your power supplied is not too small or too large for the devices attached, rather, just right.

3) Last, if your USB device isn't recognized, make sure it is formatted correctly, as most Android devices specify the format style to be specific (FAT seems most universal out of the box, but apps you can download can mount others). Consult the internet about this or how to format.

I ended up buying the Y cable and plan on attaching it by using the 5v 2.1A charger ( works great on my XD) to the power in on the Y cable and attaching the usb out to a powered usb hub so that it doesn't draw any power from OTG( or minimal amounts if required). It is also said that you must connect to xd then to power, then connect OTG usb out (specifically in that order).

So we will see if it works and how fast it charges if it does.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #582 on: December 07, 2017, 05:45:20 pm »
I should mention that my main goal here is not for a fast charge, but to keep the gpd xd at the same charge, even with high demand on it. If at the very least buy hours of battery life. I do not plan on sitting in front of the xd for 24 hours or more hehe.

This could finally be the answer for a gpd xd dock that you can let charge while off, or turn it on while connected to tv.

If this works then most likely the xd+ will be setup the same way and we can release some type of DIY dock with a list of confirmed working cables n whatnot. I highly doubt that they are going to decide to add usb-c to the new design so this is probably our best bet.

Smoker1

« Reply #583 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:25 pm »
Yeah, it would be nice to have a Dock/Adapter that can Charge the Device and have a Full USB in it.

siegel17701

« Reply #584 on: December 19, 2017, 05:57:46 am »
Following pic came from a post on GPDs chinese forum. The translation was so bad I'm not sure what it is.  It said GPD Special machine with Snapdragon 821 and fan. Could be the XD2

Anyone know if this thing exists? I kinda want one

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

animeware

« Reply #585 on: December 20, 2017, 02:29:02 am »
I was wondering is the resolution be higher on the new gpd xd+ and be 64gb and 128gb model?

I own gpd q9 device I love it I heard the new gpd will have android 7 or maybe android 8 Oreo.

I don?t own gpd xd I?m going to hold off until new version comes out.

jc7119

« Reply #586 on: January 03, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »
I wish they would make R3 and L3 in the analog sticks.  Would make streaming games from my PC so much better.

EdoNINJA93

« Reply #587 on: January 05, 2018, 02:44:25 am »
It seems that GPD XD+ will be launched at the end of January! :)

http://forum.gpd.hk/t194-statement-gpd-xd-plus-has-not-been-listed

siegel17701

« Reply #588 on: February 06, 2018, 12:01:57 am »
Thought I'd start a thread on the GPD XD2 since GPD have now started posting some renders of it.  It's still early days, and these renders are non final yet.

Anyway from this thread that Kit (from GPD) started , here are some early renders.  The current plan is for it to have a 6" screen that rotates back 360 degrees to fold flat on the bottom, so it can be used as a small tablet

When more details come in over time, I'll update this post (unless GPD start a new thread)

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4377628677

Will we ever see this? Any news?

KSS1992

« Reply #589 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:35 pm »
Thought I'd start a thread on the GPD XD2 since GPD have now started posting some renders of it.  It's still early days, and these renders are non final yet.

Anyway from this thread that Kit (from GPD) started , here are some early renders.  The current plan is for it to have a 6" screen that rotates back 360 degrees to fold flat on the bottom, so it can be used as a small tablet

When more details come in over time, I'll update this post (unless GPD start a new thread)

Yea they announced it its called GPD XD Plus and its supposed to come out this month

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #590 on: February 07, 2018, 03:37:07 pm »

Yea they announced it its called GPD XD Plus and its supposed to come out this month
Whoa, really? :D

Отправлено с моего 6039Y через Tapatalk

LtSneer

« Reply #591 on: February 07, 2018, 03:45:34 pm »

The XD+ is just a refresh of the current design with a new chipset since the old one is discontinued. It's a lot faster than the original and has 64-bit support, but isn't a convertible design like the above concept image. It's been pushed back to an early March release.

ThePhawx has a side-by-side review of a prototype XD+ next to the original XD here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQm5r6U4zqA

siegel17701

« Reply #592 on: February 07, 2018, 04:28:33 pm »
Im not taking about the plus. I am asking about the original post. The redesign in the images.

LtSneer

« Reply #593 on: February 07, 2018, 06:20:20 pm »
Im not taking about the plus. I am asking about the original post. The redesign in the images.

Yeah, I have no idea if/when this design will see the light of day. They're more focused on advertising the Windows devices lately. If they do make this one, it's likely to go up on Indiegogo later this year or maybe sometime next year since they just retooled the current model. I'd back an XD2 on day one if they make it.

superfenix2020

« Reply #594 on: February 08, 2018, 10:12:32 am »
Well, I don't like it!

When does GPD G5A 2?

...or something similar to a PS Vita/Switch.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:27:38 am by superfenix2020 »

siegel17701

« Reply #595 on: March 23, 2018, 12:25:24 am »
The wait is what makes me mental!

dubsmachine

« Reply #596 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:50 am »
Belchine wrote on their Facebook:
Gpd announces the availability of for the 1st of April. Or the 10th of April. Hopefully, this time this is the good

diablotinbouky

« Reply #597 on: April 13, 2018, 07:24:22 am »
Yes!!!! In Stock  8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:11:56 am by diablotinbouky »

Sousaptak

« Reply #598 on: April 14, 2018, 03:59:39 pm »
Great to see XD+ as an upgrade, am I the only one who is still expecting XD2 to released with SD821 ? ( they should get cheaper now as SD 845 is rolling out and 855 will hit by year-end, pairing SD821 with (4GB+64GB storage)/ (6GB+128 GB storage) will drastically boost the performance, I want something to emulate WII and GC in a handheld which will not be heavy on my pocket )250$-300$) add up 6" screen and clickable joystick :) wondering if GPD will ever do it :(

skelton

« Reply #599 on: April 14, 2018, 05:57:02 pm »
GPD win 1 allows you that. Not all GC/WII games will be playble though, but they are not with an sd 821 either (some works ok, others are slow)
Retired