Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 86892 times)

Faust

Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #570 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »
Or atleast get rid of the black boarder so its to the eadge of the plastic bezel  8)

since its still not final, i guess we could hope theyll put in a bigger screen?
They won't.

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

siegel17701

« Reply #571 on: December 06, 2017, 09:00:45 pm »
So at this point it doesn't look that much better than XD1. Other than bluetooth is it worth the upgrade? My XD plays everything I need it to.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #572 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:09 pm »
hey skelton, if i start a crowdfunding thingy how much of a paycheck would you need to work on a custom kernel/rom?

If it is not a question of time and money, then I understand. But if a paycheck would help you out I could donate once again to help ( once i sort out my own finances hehe ) with whatever amount i can. Even if it is just a little I am sure that more would donate as well.

Just a thought.

skelton

« Reply #573 on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:12 pm »
It's not a question of money, i Will get a device from gpd, it's a matter of time that i don't have. I got more rresponsabilities in  my job  so i practically don't have  time for almost anything. Also, at some point i needed to stop in order that other people continue working with these devices.  Firmware stock seems nice anyway, probably a custom rom is not even needed. I Will help gpd a little bit with firmware if i find something to improve so It should be ok with stock I guess.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:28:05 pm by skelton »
Retired

skelton

« Reply #574 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:23 pm »
So at this point it doesn't look that much better than XD1. Other than bluetooth is it worth the upgrade? My XD plays everything I need it to.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
You have already answered yourself i think. If current xd fit your emulation needs, then you don't need It i guess.
Retired

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #575 on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:54 pm »
yeh as long as the cpu is not capped under its full potential then it shouldn't be a problem.

and i do understand. with what you have contributed already many people thank you =).

so now it is just a matter of a waiting game to see how it ends up.

skelton

« Reply #576 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:53 pm »
yeh as long as the cpu is not capped under its full potential then it shouldn't be a problem.

and i do understand. with what you have contributed already many people thank you =).

so now it is just a matter of a waiting game to see how it ends up.
The only way to know if it needs overclock is seeing kernel Code, which i don't have for ntk8176. Anyhow, a72 cores are fast so even with a slight underclock It should perform well. It's more important than mtk includes vulkan Support for that GPU, since emus are beginning to use it. Also, It seems it comes without root, so unless an easy root method is found, proba my a custom recovery Will be needed to root it. But i Will know more when my proto arrives.
Retired

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #577 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:13 am »
we were discussing how usb-c could be a nice upgrade on the xd+ ( in discord chat). I am wondering if the current xd supports charging while using otg using a "Y" cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Samsung-Player-OTHERS/dp/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H3Y4TFB7R0ZV3D5MJTYK 
I bought it and should get it soon. I will try it and see if it works on old xd.

It was stated on one of the comments that this is a feature that the ROM has to support and am wondering if you came accross anything like that in your rom skelton? If this does work on the xd that would be great and hopefully is something included in the rom that comes with xd+. If not then maybe that is something that should be suggested to the gpd team. This way we can dock the gpd xd and have it charging at the same time.

Here is a link with someone that made a custom kernel/rom to allow charging and otg: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs-kernel-usb-rom/

Thoughts anyone?

Of course if gpd somehow upgrades to usb-c for the xd+ then there will be no need for the hdmi port and it should have charging + docking(otg) capabilities.

Smoker1

« Reply #578 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:51 am »
@PsyOps : I dont think that will work for what you are wanting to use it for. Most Firmware for Android have removed that ability. The only thing that allows is for Charging USB Devices. Otherwise, it will not do anything. You might get it to Charge the Device, but at a slower Rate. I know this because I had the same idea a long while ago :(

skelton

« Reply #579 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:13 am »
As far as i know these kind of adapters should work in my rom and in stock, but it would charge slowly i guess.
Retired

Web8bits

• GPD, JXD and Hyperkin distributor in Spain
« Reply #580 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:18 am »
The USB cable adapter that we sold on our shop:

https://www.micomputer.es/en/cables/313-usb-hub.html

Dont allow to charge the XD from the USB C connector and I think that is a XD "problem" not a specific problem with this adapter.

Regards

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #581 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:20 pm »
I think there are more factors to it. It is more than just the cable does/doesn't work.

I read someones post on one of the reviews for a Y cable that was pretty informative:

1) If you have done your research you probably know this, but devices supporting USB OTG will supply power to the attached USB device. This power comes directly from the phone when there isn't an attached power source on the USB OTG Y cable. On most new Android smartphones this is acceptable as they are supported out of the box via software (custom Kernels and stock and custom ROMs sometimes) and via robust hardware that allows power to be supplied out the same pins on IC boards that the power flows in normally when charging.

This draw across the IC board regulating the power can however be a problem. Normal draw from the USB attached device is rated at USB 2.0 standards. This means that your phone is capable of supplying 500mA @ 5V of power. However a higher draw can possibly brick your phone. If you decide to use OTG without the Female Y port powered, you will want to keep your attached devices within a single USB 2.0 spec power draw. HOWEVER, it has come to my attention (and I have personally experienced) that even staying in the acceptable range of power supply on some phones (Only 1 I have found) will cause the IC power board to "pop", hard bricking the phone. This can occur regardless of your Root, Kernel, and ROM. NOTE: I HAVE ONLY FOUND THIS TO BE A PROBLEM ON THE GALAXY S3 AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPRODUCE IT CONSISTENTLY, BUT THE FORUMS SHOW THAT IT OCCURS VERY RARELY (look on XDA:[...] for more info. Personally I haven't let this put me off as it seems to be a very rare issue). I have also tested various other Samsung Galaxy products, LG, Nexus, and HTC and have only noticed the issue with the GS3. My suspicion is that the IC power board on the GS3 is just not robust enough to handle consistently flipping from charging the phone to providing power and gets weaker over time (this is my personal conjecture but it aligns with some XDAs users beliefs as well). With warranty, my bricked phone was replaced within the week.

2) Next is the reason for some people not noticing charging on their phones. THIS IS NOT THE CABLE'S FAULT! For a device to see itself as charging, a MINIMUM of ~500mA @ 5V (USB 2.0) must be supplied to the smartphone. The Y nature of this cable means that it is splitting the current to the USB device and the smartphone. When you split the current of a 500mA @ 5V charger, both devices attempt to get 250mA @ 5V. This is NOT enough to trigger charging recognition by most devices. Assuming a few things, like that you are using both USB 2.0 spec devices, that means to power both devices and have the smartphone recognize charging, you need 1000mA (1A) to be supplied to the female micro USB port. Now this is where things get... interesting. By USB standards, High speed data transmission can only occur while the phone is getting 500mA. However there is a fast charge standard (Charging Downstream Port standards) that will allow charging currents up to 1500mA and change Voltage being used in data communication. This is all fine and dandy but the only thing is that your attached USB device might not like the higher currents or communications Voltage. (though I did not experience this problem, I am attempting to inform as much as possible from my understanding and experiences) Basically this all boils down to, If you want to use the USB OTG device AND charge your phone, make sure that your power supplied is not too small or too large for the devices attached, rather, just right.

3) Last, if your USB device isn't recognized, make sure it is formatted correctly, as most Android devices specify the format style to be specific (FAT seems most universal out of the box, but apps you can download can mount others). Consult the internet about this or how to format.

I ended up buying the Y cable and plan on attaching it by using the 5v 2.1A charger ( works great on my XD) to the power in on the Y cable and attaching the usb out to a powered usb hub so that it doesn't draw any power from OTG( or minimal amounts if required). It is also said that you must connect to xd then to power, then connect OTG usb out (specifically in that order).

So we will see if it works and how fast it charges if it does.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #582 on: December 07, 2017, 05:45:20 pm »
I should mention that my main goal here is not for a fast charge, but to keep the gpd xd at the same charge, even with high demand on it. If at the very least buy hours of battery life. I do not plan on sitting in front of the xd for 24 hours or more hehe.

This could finally be the answer for a gpd xd dock that you can let charge while off, or turn it on while connected to tv.

If this works then most likely the xd+ will be setup the same way and we can release some type of DIY dock with a list of confirmed working cables n whatnot. I highly doubt that they are going to decide to add usb-c to the new design so this is probably our best bet.

Smoker1

« Reply #583 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:25 pm »
Yeah, it would be nice to have a Dock/Adapter that can Charge the Device and have a Full USB in it.

Post a new topic