Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 131426 times)

skelton

Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2017, 10:40:54 am »
If it's a phone, I definitely won't buy it. I don't need another phone. I don't need worse battery life. I also don't want to associate my phone (which I also sometimes use in a professional setting etc.) with a gaming device.

If I wanted a device that does everything I'd just play games on my desktop/laptop. The entire point is a portable (retro-)gaming device.

It's not gonna be a phone, but a tablet.
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2017, 10:53:03 am »
If it's a phone, I definitely won't buy it. I don't need another phone. I don't need worse battery life. I also don't want to associate my phone (which I also sometimes use in a professional setting etc.) with a gaming device.

If I wanted a device that does everything I'd just play games on my desktop/laptop. The entire point is a portable (retro-)gaming device.

Now I'm confused.  I thought they were considering making it basically another Xperia Play , but with real controls.  ie a gaming smart phone. What makes you say tablet?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:56:35 am by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2017, 11:04:08 am »

Now I'm confused.  I thought they were considering making it basically another Xperia Play , but with real controls.  ie a gaming smart phone. What makes you say tablet?

Xperia Play in terms of sliding controls (or PSP GO). I say tablet because the SoC they have chosen is a tablet one, not a phone one. The MT8176 is only used in MTK tablets. Xiaomi is using it in their MiPAd3 tablet indeed. Wadw also saud that there were no phone capabilities. That's why I say that if people want a gaming phone GPD should change the SoC for an helio one.
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07:28 am »

Xperia Play in terms of sliding controls (or PSP GO). I say tablet because the SoC they have chosen is a tablet one, not a phone one. The MT8176 is only used in MTK tablets. Xiaomi is using it in their MiPAd3 tablet indeed. Wadw also saud that there were no phone capabilities. That's why I say that if people want a gaming phone GPD should change the SoC for an helio one.

But remember the article where they interviewed  GPD at their Japan IT week booth .  It said they were thinking of adding LTE. https://tobalog.com/2017/05/gpd-win-2/

"However, it said that it plans to install a SIM card slot for LTE compatibility for successor models of "GPD XD", "

skelton

« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2017, 11:15:14 am »
There are MTK tablets with LTE support, but only for data, that doesn't mean phone calls, Basically for having internet if you don't find a wifi hotspot. The MT8176 doesn't allow phone calls, just sim card to have data connection.

The specs at MTK website doesn't show phone capablities.
https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8176

I think that in order to have a full phone they need to change SoC, if not I don't think is possible with a tablet SoC, unless they use this one:
https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8785

or this one:

https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8735d

But they told thet were using 8176. Maybe @wade can clarify the SoC is actually used.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:20:53 am by skelton »
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2017, 11:23:03 am »
There are MTK tablets with LTE support, but only for data, that doesn't mean phone calls, Basically for having internet if you don't find a wifi hotspot. The MT8176 doesn't allow phone calls, just sim card to have data connection.

The specs at MTK website doesn't show phone capablities.
https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8176

I think that in order to have a full phone they need to change SoC, if not I don't think is possible with a tablet SoC, unless they use this one:
https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8785

That would make absolute zero sense to have a device that looked like a phone (when closed), had a smartphone OS, had LTE. but didn't let you make calls. That would be retarded.  Even I wouldn't want that.   

I can't imagine that's what they are planning.

Just a side note, the specs indicate the SOC doesnt have LTE embedded ,   it doesn;t mean they can't use a seperate LTE chip.  Which they would have to if that's the SOC they want to use and they also plan LTE.  It's probably another reason to use one of the other Helio chips though, as they would probably be cheaper than having to buy the SOC and a separate LTE chip.  Unless of course they plan on having two models , one with and one without LTE - which is a possibility
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:27:44 am by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2017, 11:27:35 am »
There are many tablets with Sim CARD support for data, just for using internet where there is no wifi. The Shield tablet has a LTE model for example. Or some Samsung ones. Both with Android. Anyhow, for me I would prefer the lower price as possible, since I don't need another phone. I prefer just a gaming device too, unless they did it very small, but they said it was 6 inch, so....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:33:15 am by skelton »
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:19 am »
There are many tablets with Sim CARD support for data, just for using internet where there is no wifi. The Shield tablet has a LTE model for example. Or some Samsung ones. Both with Android.

Yes, but they are tablets, ie not exactly the form factor people want to make calls with .   The XD2 concept is a phone form factor. Also, those tablets tend to lock out call functionality or should I say exclude it - in SW - not HW. At least that is my understanding.

And that is my point, if they did that, then you would be paying for a phone form factor, paying for HW needed for calls.  But then not having the ability to make calls.  That would make no sense.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:37:01 am by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2017, 11:35:27 am »
There are many tablets with Sim CARD support for data, just for using internet where there is no wifi. The Shield tablet has a LTE model for example. Or some Samsung ones. Both with Android.

Yes, but they are tablets, ie not exactly the form factor people want to make calls with .   The XD2 concept is a phone form factor. Also, those tablets tend to lock out call functionality or should I say exclude it - in SW - not HW

Well, a 6 inch is a huge phone form factor, more a phablet. I consider it most a small tablet than a phone. Anyhow, maybe @wade can clarify it the final specs and capabilities. I personally have doubt about sliding controls. I don't hope good analogs in that form factor. I personally prefer no LTE and no phone, it would be cheaper and I was not going to use LTE or phone capabilities in a 6 inch phone.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:40:21 am by skelton »
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2017, 11:41:29 am »

Yes, but they are tablets, ie not exactly the form factor people want to make calls with .   The XD2 concept is a phone form factor. Also, those tablets tend to lock out call functionality or should I say exclude it - in SW - not HW

Well, a 6 inch is a huge phone form factor, more a phablet. I consider it most a small tablet than a phone. Anyhow, maybe @wade can clarify it the final specs and capabilities. I personally have doubt about sliding controls. I don't hope good analogs in that form factor.

Hmmm, didn't think about the controls.  I wonder if they could fit low profile sticks in a slider design .   Otherwise , yeah, it could mean nubs
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:43:22 am by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:44 am »
Maybe smaller nubs in the line of 3ds or so.
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #371 on: May 17, 2017, 12:08:29 pm »
Yeah, it would be nice to know more from wade.  A lot of questions at the moment.

By the way, I do think a 6" device is still a phone and not a tablet.  After all the two most popular phones in the world both have have 5.5" screen the iPhone 7+ and the Samsing Galaxy S8 - 5.8" screen.  I don't think 0.2" bigger screen over the most popular phone makes it a tablet all of a sudden.  That is just my opinion thoguh, I now there are some that think  current phones are too big.  Sign of the times I guess.  Maybe one day, a 24" screen will be a standard size phone :P

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »
I would think that the mentality of having a slide-out keyboard like the PSP GO is a brilliant idea for the XD2. It's there if you want to use it or not, etc.

DETahaX

« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2017, 01:16:40 pm »

If you want dolphin on Android you need tegra x1 or snapdragon 835.  They seem to have decided another design.so I doubt they use clamshell again. I would personally prefer GPD G5a design more, new design can be nice too. Let's see.
Also, what's the problem with the firmware in the first XD? It's very stable and emus runs fine, which is what the device is made for. If you mean to be stuck at android Kitkat is a wise decision, because RK3288 devices work worse at higher than kitkat because of GPU drivers by Rockchip. The XD 2 will use android nougat I guess, but for gaming the android OS is pretty much the same, it's more important to have a good kernel than a specfic version of android.

G5A???... I'm sorry but, yuck! It looks like an ugly ripoff of the Nintendo Switch.. And I don't see what's wrong with a clamshell design.. It worked splendidly with the DS, DSi, 3DS, New 3DS, the first XD, and now the New 2DS XL (which looks fantastic BTW). Seriously the concept pics are 10 times more practical.. Anyway... What I mean by changing the software, I mean both the Android version and the UI. Don't get me wrong, the they both work fantastic. But we need updated software, by that I mean we need to have the near latest Android version. And the UI is very functional, but it needs a better looking design (colored squares don't look that good). And about dolphin, I know that it doesn't run well on Android except for the two chips you mentioned.. I do wanna know how Dolphin runs very well on the Win though.. Is it because of the Chip, is it because of Windows? I don't know... But even thought Dolphin doesn't run at full speed, I take it as performance measurement. If the XD2 can pull off half or more normal speed, I'll be really happy with it. Because of course, no one (especially gamers) is gonna be happy with low performance.

Oh, and regarding that the people who already bought the first XD. Yes, they will buy the XD2, why? Because they love it, they loved the XD very much. But they all (even me) think that it's missing very important/essential things (such as BT and better WiFi), and a little more performance (for maybe PPSSPP and Dreamcast to run well at least).

But man! *-* just imagine tilting the XD on Mario Kart Wii to drive.... I'd be Amazing!

DETahaX

« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »
I would think that the mentality of having a slide-out keyboard like the PSP GO is a brilliant idea for the XD2. It's there if you want to use it or not, etc.

Let me tell yea.. I just made this account, just so I can talk in this thread (and see Wade's pics because it wouldn't let me).. But the biggest I waned to talk about on this thread is the slid mechanism. I think it's very terrible! ??? They could break easily and make me fell very worried. Not to mention it'll give you less freedom. The solution: the old concept pics with the 360 degree hinge. Just go to page 24 and see my post/comment.

skelton

« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2017, 01:39:52 pm »
Have you used a g5a? Because the g5a and the Switch are completely different devices. G5a was very ergonomic and had great analogs and better shoulder buttons in comparison to XD. Also, it has clickable analogs rather than separate l3 and r3 buttons. DPAD was pretty bad though and should have been improved. I don't have a problem with XD design either, I like clamshell too, so no problems if they have decided to do another clamshell. Anyhow, GPD seems to have taken a different route for XD 2, so no clamshell, just sliding controls like PSP Go which I don't know how good will be. It needs to be very well built or can be a disaster.
Dolphin works quite well in the GPD win because of dx12 video backend and Ishiruka builds, if not would be unplayable. In Android it needs Vulkan to get good speeds and is less accurate than windows version, because only two people work in the Android version, It needs something like a snapdragon 835 or tegra x1 to run decently for GC games, most wii games are still slow. So considering that XD 2 will use a MTK chipset, forget about dolphin, because it won't be playable, except maybe a couple of games non too demanding. In GPD WIN takes advantage of windows and dx12 backend, but not all GC titles are fullspeed (F-Zero to say just one), and many wii titles are slow too in GPD WIN. I am not a fan of ninty games or GC/WII titles except fire emblem saga, so I don't use Dolphin too much in GPD WIN anyway.

The current XD runs Dreamcast very well in terms of speed, reicast is not too demanding. Itas has video glitches but are not XD exclusive. Reicast is quiye abandonned and needs a lot of work anyway. PPSSPP runs very good except a few titles, but easily 75 percent of games run fullspeed in current XD (with 1,8 ghz firmware and some tweaking). In fact my shield tablet which is more powerful runs pretty much the same PPSSPP titles. PPSSPP is also not fullspeed in all titles in GPD WIN by the way, in spite of the fact that windows version is more optimized than android version.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:44:20 pm by skelton »
Retired

Faust

« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »

Let me tell yea.. I just made this account, just so I can talk in this thread (and see Wade's pics because it wouldn't let me).. But the biggest I waned to talk about on this thread is the slid mechanism. I think it's very terrible! ??? They could break easily and make me fell very worried. Not to mention it'll give you less freedom. The solution: the old concept pics with the 360 degree hinge. Just go to page 24 and see my post/comment.
I think GPD changes the style for the GPD XD 2 to make two really different products.

Right now we have two gaming consoles with the same design, almost the same control, that aim almost the same peoples, they only changes are the keyboard, and the OS.

It would be easier to target different peoples if you make two products with big differences.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2017, 02:16:00 pm »
I think a clamshell has it's benefits.  It does provide protection for the screen when closed.   

But as I mentioned before, from memory, there was a reason they ditched the 360 degree hinge.  I think it had something to do with difficulty in making a robust enough 360 degree hinge, so they ditched the design.   It would have also been a little uncomfortable to use to play touch games.  As the controls would then be in your palm when the screen was rotated.  They still wanted to allow users to play touch games, so the only other form factor left to allow that was a slider

skelton

« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2017, 02:17:31 pm »

I think GPD changes the style for the GPD XD 2 to make two really different products.

Right now we have two gaming consoles with the same design, almost the same control, that aim almost the same peoples, they only changes are the keyboard, and the OS.

It would be easier to target different peoples if you make two products with big differences.
I agree, xd 2 looks for different target so probably they wanted to do something different from win or xd.
Retired

DETahaX

« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2017, 06:29:26 pm »

I agree, xd 2 looks for different target so probably they wanted to do something different from win or xd.

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree.. Why would they even call it the XD2? It should have a different name then if that were the case. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is called that because it's an extended version or a better version of the game over the first one, it's not a completely different game. Other wise it'd be called Sunshine, 3D Land, 3D World, but NOT Galaxy 2 . @vcoleiro1 's explanation makes more sense. Though.. I do want proof please..