Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 131423 times)

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2017, 08:32:48 pm »
I can understand a GPD XD2 within 2-3 years... but say GPD releases it sooner, what good is that gonna do for anyone? Really? XD already plays up to Dreamcast era near flawlessly... ya, there's the Wii/GC/ps2... but ps2 is still a long way off till it gets perfected.

idk, if I were GPD, I definitely wouldn't see a need to push the envelope so soon so fast... not entirely necessary unless I'm missing something.

skelton

« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2017, 09:14:02 pm »
I can understand a GPD XD2 within 2-3 years... but say GPD releases it sooner, what good is that gonna do for anyone? Really? XD already plays up to Dreamcast era near flawlessly... ya, there's the Wii/GC/ps2... but ps2 is still a long way off till it gets perfected.

idk, if I were GPD, I definitely wouldn't see a need to push the envelope so soon so fast... not entirely necessary unless I'm missing something.
PSP and Saturn would be improved I guess. But probably for people that already have an XD won't need a XD 2. I personally with a GPd win don't need an android device anymore
Retired

nex86

« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:08 pm »
Not always, only gpd win and pocket were in indiegogo. I think until 2018 won't be released, but not sure.

初步的构想图 ;)

Does it have a Micro SD card slot?
We do need one for bigger games..

retroster

« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2017, 03:49:32 am »

PSP and Saturn would be improved I guess. But probably for people that already have an XD won't need a XD 2. I personally with a GPd win don't need an android device anymore

Is the WIN that much better in performance compared with an XD? Doe sit run Saturn better?

nmkd

« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2017, 09:40:01 am »

Is the WIN that much better in performance compared with an XD? Doe sit run Saturn better?
Of course, the Win is much stronger.

Phawx

« Reply #345 on: May 15, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
Not always, only gpd win and pocket were in indiegogo. I think until 2018 won't be released, but not sure.

初步的构想图 ;)
Lots of people would buy it if you add phone capabilities (call, SMS, 3g, 4g, GPS, etc...) including myself.

I can clearly see the successor of the Xperia play

Yea, I'd but this if it were able to operate as a phone as well.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2017, 03:23:54 pm »
Persoannly I think it needs something to give it that x factor to buy.  phone capabilities might be it.

skelton

« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2017, 03:26:35 pm »
I agree, but they would need to change SoC for another mtk for phones.
Retired

Phawx

« Reply #348 on: May 15, 2017, 03:44:09 pm »

C'est la vie.

As it is right now, the only gaming-phone that I'm looking forward to is the MotoZ2 with MotoMod.

The design of the XD2 with the power button on the side looks like it could be used as a phone as well :(

skelton

« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »

C'est la vie.

As it is right now, the only gaming-phone that I'm looking forward to is the MotoZ2 with MotoMod.

The design of the XD2 with the power button on the side looks like it could be used as a phone as well :(

I personally don't need a gaming phone, unless they would made something very small like xperia play. But certainly a gaming phone would be more sales for GPD than just another tablet. Although I made a poll regarding that subject and target was very divided. But who knows, maybe they are still in time to change it for an helio chipset (if they decide to go for the mediatek route). But I have the feeling they won't change their minds.
Retired

Phawx

« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2017, 04:57:05 pm »

C'est la vie.

I personally don't need a gaming phone, unless they would made something very small like xperia play. But certainly a gaming phone would be more sales for GPD than just another tablet. Although I made a poll regarding that subject and target was very divided. But who knows, maybe they are still in time to change it for an helio chipset (if they decide to go for the mediatek route). But I have the feeling they won't change their minds.

I've been waiting for a proper successor to the Xperia Play for so long, it seems like it won't happen at this point.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2017, 01:55:45 am »
Phone capabilities aside, I think they should change the SOC.  The one they selected is ok, but to me, very mehh

I remember Skelton's poll, a lot of people didn't want a gaming phone.  That said, I don't think it would put them off unless it was way more expensive

skelton

« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:40 am »
Phone capabilities aside, I think they should change the SOC.  The one they selected is ok, but to me, very mehh

I remember Skelton's poll, a lot of people didn't want a gaming phone.  That said, I don't think it would put them off unless it was way more expensive
The soc is pretty similar in performance to the rk3399 they had in mind. An hexa Core with two a72 cores. If they cannot use snapdragon there are no many choice i guess, except another mtk a little more powerful, like helio x27 or so, but I suppose It would be more expensive perhaps.
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2017, 12:52:47 pm »

The soc is pretty similar in performance to the rk3399 they had in mind. An hexa Core with two a72 cores. If they cannot use snapdragon there are no many choice i guess, except another mtk a little more powerful, like helio x27 or so, but I suppose It would be more expensive perhaps.

I was hoping that they would use the Helio x30 as we discussed previously.  But I guess the bigger aspect will be if they make it double as a smart phone.  That will be enough of an X factor to attract some decent sales

skelton

« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »

I was hoping that they would use the Helio x30 as we discussed previously.  But I guess the bigger aspect will be if they make it double as a smart phone.  That will be enough of an X factor to attract some decent sales
the helio x30 has been a Big failure. Most chinese manufacturers are not even using It. Maybe because of price, but not sure. The mtk gpd is gonna use have better single Core performance than tegra k1 for instance, which is nice for emus. GPU is just decent, not very different to the mali 760 of current gpd xd. I think they don't want to make device as the same price of gpd win, but most probably something similar in price to current xd, for people that just use retro emus at a decent price. Dolphin was gonna be out of the question anyway with a mtk chip, because mtk has not udpated their GPU userpsace libraries for vulkan.

I also would like a better SoC, don't minsundertand me, but I understand GPD doesn't want to release an android device at 300 or 400 bucks, when you can get a WIN at that price.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:24:47 pm by skelton »
Retired

DETahaX

« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »
Ummm.. Hey, guys?.. I know most of you seem to like the new form factor which is the sideslip.. But.. Do we really want a successor to the Xperia Play.. Or PSP Go.. Or whatever it it's called?..... I put 4 attachments on this post of an old XD2 concept.. They seem to me a whole lot better. Simply because it has a 360 degree hinge and not a sliding mechanism. It has its benefit too you know.. Not only can it show you only the screen up in front (without the controls), but it can also hide the screen protecting it from getting scratched, you can also have nearly unlimited adjustment to the screen angle (unlike the sideslip)...

That was my biggest complaint and I also wanted to know if you guys agree on what I had to say. But another thing I wanted to talk about is, I don't want calling capabilities, I already got a phone for that. I'm a gamer but besides that I don't want to pay extra for something I'm not gonna use. Instead, I'd love to pay extra for performance. I don't think it'd be bad to have the XD2 have the same chip as the Win. It wouldn't make it as expensive as the Win because there won't be a keyboard and what not, but maybe it could get Dolphin to run way more smoother, Dolphin runs surprisingly amazing on the Win. I know the Win has Windows, but I'd like one nearly as powerful (or maybe a bit more :P) Android version of it... Oh and @Wane .. Please put 5.0Hz bandwidth WiFi and don't forget the Bluetooth! Oh, and if you can, please make a better firmware/UI/OS version of Android than the one on the old XD! Thank you! ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:41:06 pm by DETahaX »

skelton

« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2017, 07:29:31 pm »

If you want dolphin on Android you need tegra x1 or snapdragon 835.  They seem to have decided another design.so I doubt they use clamshell again. I would personally prefer GPD G5a design more, new design can be nice too. Let's see.
Also, what's the problem with the firmware in the first XD? It's very stable and emus runs fine, which is what the device is made for. If you mean to be stuck at android Kitkat is a wise decision, because RK3288 devices work worse at higher than kitkat because of GPU drivers by Rockchip. The XD 2 will use android nougat I guess, but for gaming the android OS is pretty much the same, it's more important to have a good kernel than a specfic version of android.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:31:40 pm by skelton »
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2017, 11:58:44 pm »
@skelton

Yeah, I don't think a chinese SOC would be expensive, they all tend to be cheaply priced.   You can see the X25 in devices that are $189 -> http://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeEco-Le-2-Pro-X625-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Rose-Gold-369625.html .  At most, I think a X25 or X30 would add $20 tops

The biggest expense would be adding LTE for sure.  But , that could be an option ie have a model with and without it

@DETahaX

This thread started with discussing that 360 degree hinge concept.  I think GPD ditched it becuase they couldn't work out how to make the hinge robust enough.  Or something like that, I have a vague memory of reading something like that on their chinese forum.

skelton

« Reply #358 on: May 17, 2017, 09:55:16 am »
@skelton

Yeah, I don't think a chinese SOC would be expensive, they all tend to be cheaply priced.   You can see the X25 in devices that are $189 -> http://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeEco-Le-2-Pro-X625-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Rose-Gold-369625.html .  At most, I think a X25 or X30 would add $20 tops

Have in mind leeco is like Xiaomi or oppo, one of the biggest brands  un china and they possibly buy Too Many chips to get that price. Not sure how many chips gpd can buy ti get that price.
Retired

spearmint

« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2017, 10:39:07 am »
If it's a phone, I definitely won't buy it. I don't need another phone. I don't need worse battery life. I also don't want to associate my phone (which I also sometimes use in a professional setting etc.) with a gaming device.

If I wanted a device that does everything I'd just play games on my desktop. The entire point is a portable gaming device.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:40:54 am by spearmint »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic