Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 131421 times)

maarten12100

Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2016, 10:03:50 am »
I will only buy it if it has phone and 4g connectivity in the US. It's a very tempting device but the GPD Win will solve most my gaming needs and so the only way I could justify it is as a phone replacement.
I would like that but I doubt it. Perhaps in a premium unit they can include a LTE module or replace the chipset with something that has LTE. (those SoCs are usually as expensive as an LTE modem though)

skelton

« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2016, 10:26:18 am »
I don't think RK3399 support LTE, but not sure. Perhaps they had to use a MTK chipset for that, but they are rockchip partners, so I suppose that's why they continue using RK.
Retired

siegel17701

« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2016, 12:28:09 pm »
Did anyone get the 128gb XD? The XD 2 would be great if it had that much memory.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

maarten12100

« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2016, 04:50:58 pm »
I don't think RK3399 support LTE, but not sure. Perhaps they had to use a MTK chipset for that, but they are rockchip partners, so I suppose that's why they continue using RK.
It's primarily aimed at setup boxes so it's very unlikely. Actually I doubt RockChip has the needed IP portfolio to create a on die LTE unit.

"In addition to application in tablets, VR, TV-BOX, laptops, in-vehicle navigations, and communications, the RK3399, with its enriched scalability, can be applied to all types of terminals covering industrial and consumer applications, including smart appliances, advertising devices/the all-in-one machines, POS systems, vehicle control terminals, thin-clients, VOIP video conferencing, security/monitoring/policing, IoT, as well as other fields. As the new flagship product of 2016, Rockchip RK3399's strong compatibility and scalability is its strongest core competency.

Rockchip Flagship Solution RK3399 Release! --- High Performance, High Scalability, and Versatility
"
IoT and tablets give a slight hope but they don't list it so almost definitely nope.

skelton

« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:48 pm »
It's primarily aimed at setup boxes so it's very unlikely. Actually I doubt RockChip has the needed IP portfolio to create a on die LTE unit.

"In addition to application in tablets, VR, TV-BOX, laptops, in-vehicle navigations, and communications, the RK3399, with its enriched scalability, can be applied to all types of terminals covering industrial and consumer applications, including smart appliances, advertising devices/the all-in-one machines, POS systems, vehicle control terminals, thin-clients, VOIP video conferencing, security/monitoring/policing, IoT, as well as other fields. As the new flagship product of 2016, Rockchip RK3399's strong compatibility and scalability is its strongest core competency.

Rockchip Flagship Solution RK3399 Release! --- High Performance, High Scalability, and Versatility
"
IoT and tablets give a slight hope but they don't list it so almost definitely nope.

It makes sense, RK design tablets and tvboxes, and no phones, so.... Unless another company make an android device with some MRK chip or something, nothing to do if you want LTE.
Retired

BahamutxD

« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2016, 01:33:26 am »
My personal wishlist and must have if I want to purchase the XD2

-More comfortable L2/R2, I know its hard to fit them, maybe like MatriMax iPlay 7 did?

-Wifi 5Ghz, using Moonlight streaming (Nvidia), PS Now possibly coming to PC... this needs to happen.

These are just things that I would consider as nice to have.

-Overall a better build quality, but this is not that important as XD is quite well, but theres room to improve.
-Better screen (not necessarily bigger)
-Battery life ( who doesn't :P)
-Bigger memory without the exagerated price increase.

siegel17701

« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2016, 01:56:50 am »
I just want a release date

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

shinkamui

« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2016, 04:02:51 am »
If this thing is an rk3399 I'm gonna pass and just focus on android on the win.  Performance from the rks have been much poorer than I'm accustom to.  I've lived with the lag and stutter of the xd for the size with real joysticks, but I was hoping the cherry trail version of the same form factor would set me free. Was looking forward to getting both, but looks like the win won.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2016, 04:15:18 am »
If this thing is an rk3399 I'm gonna pass and just focus on android on the win.  Performance from the rks have been much poorer than I'm accustom to.  I've lived with the lag and stutter of the xd for the size with real joysticks, but I was hoping the cherry trail version of the same form factor would set me free. Was looking forward to getting both, but looks like the win won.

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off, it's a fairly decent SOC. The RK3399 is a hexa-core processor. It has two ARM Cortex-A72 CPU cores and four ARM Cortex-A53 cores. It also has Mali-T864 graphics, supports dual-channel memory and Gigabit Ethernet connections. It features ARMv8, 64-bit architecture. It is also 4k capable

skelton

« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:40 am »

Lag and stutter in the xd? I don't have any lag or stutter.... It performs quite well, and exce?t uoyabause and some tegra games, it emulates pretty similar to my shield tablet. The rk3288 is a ver decent soc considering it's price. Even my shield tv struggles with some.ppsspp games.

The rk3399 won't be a high end. Because i suppose the purpose is tp make an affordable device. Those wanting a more powerful device will go for the win. But the win won:t run native Android as far as i heard.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:32:12 am by skelton »
Retired

MOFO

« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
What can we expect for a performance gain with the rk3399?
I know it's CPU faster but on the GPU side is the Mali T-864 a good upgrade over the old SOC? How much GPU performance can we get over the original XD?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:11:09 pm by MOFO »

skelton

« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »
It should perform a bit better, but difficult to know yet, because it's not available yet the rk3399. Current mali760 have very good perfomance at 720p, so even if not a bigger upgrade, should be enough for the soc.
Rk3399 will be quit? cheap, so don't expect ultra perfomance, but a good perfomance/cost ratio.

According to arm webpage:
https://www.arm.com/products/multimedia/mali-gpu/high-performance/mali-t860-t880.php

Anyhow, xd.2 is something that is not even staryed yet by gpd. They told me the would begin to work on it after they finish with thw win, so it can take months until it:s available

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:27:58 pm by skelton »
Retired

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »
ya again, my thoughts are that the xd2 won't be AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE until late 2017-early 2018.

skelton

« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2016, 03:09:02 pm »
ya again, my thoughts are that the xd2 won't be AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE until late 2017-early 2018.

Gpd told.me that wanted to be ready for beginning of 2017, but i think it will be available later, probably just before summer. As soon as i get more.lnfo i will tell, because probably i will make a firmware contribution (if my health allow me).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 03:11:00 pm by skelton »
Retired

siegel17701

« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2016, 08:31:47 pm »

[/quote]

(if my health allow me).
[/quote]

God bless and great Health  Skelton!

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

suave6565

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2016, 03:30:49 am »

Gpd told.me that wanted to be ready for beginning of 2017, but i think it will be available later, probably just before summer. As soon as i get more.lnfo i will tell, because probably i will make a firmware contribution (if my health allow me).

I just came across this post about the GPD XD 2... First, I would like to say and hope you get better and second, iif you dont mind me asking, whats going on with your health??

im really liking what this company has been doing and they seem like the are not slowing down...I really like the GPD XD and i'm definitely going for the GPD Win... I wish JXD was like this but im sold on what they have to offer...

SONY

• !
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2016, 03:39:21 am »
I hope the final specs are 2017 worthy.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

skelton

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2016, 09:13:01 am »

I just came across this post about the GPD XD 2... First, I would like to say and hope you get better and second, iif you dont mind me asking, whats going on with your health??

im really liking what this company has been doing and they seem like the are not slowing down...I really like the GPD XD and i'm definitely going for the GPD Win... I wish JXD was like this but im sold on what they have to offer...

Don't know how it's called my disease in english, but basically i have terrible headaches and pain in my ears almost everyday. I need surgery and some time to recover.

SONY, specs will be rk3399. Nothing high end because i suppose they wany to keep price low.
Retired

SONY

• !
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2016, 11:02:26 am »
Ah ok, it makes sense I guess.
Price wise, keeping it competitive with other similar products as well.
Anyway, I know a few people who are also experiencing the same sort of health issues & symptoms, etc, so please get well soon ok.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:04:55 am by SONY »
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

sirp0p0

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »

Don't know how it's called my disease in english, but basically i have terrible headaches and pain in my ears almost everyday. I need surgery and some time to recover.

SONY, specs will be rk3399. Nothing high end because i suppose they wany to keep price low.
If its very strong headaches that make it so you can't really do anything, they're usually called migraines, though that's not specifically a disease but can be caused by lots of things. The best description I know is when you get a brain freeze by drinking lots of something very cold and get a headache, only a lot worse.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic