Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 133514 times)

skelton

Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #560 on: December 06, 2017, 09:42:00 am »
@skelton - I made a video of this issue.  I don't think it is thermal throttling.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3_XRz0xrbA

Thanks!
It simply runs slow, but it's normal that game runs slow in android. In mu shield TV it runs pretty much the same. MAMe in ARM runs worse than x86. The only think you can try is frameskip or try with retroarch mame cores, but I doubt it will run better.
Retired

skelton

« Reply #561 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:53 am »
Phawx's video on the XD+ is up on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQm5r6U4zqA

Seeing the difference in benchmakrs in regard to Mipad3 it can be that GPD underclocked it a little bit to save battery (that wouldn't be a surprise) or maybe it suffers some thermal throttling. Single core scores is better than my shield tab, which is quite ok for this upgrade. Lack of vulkan is a pain, but maybe in the future with new firmwares Mediatek updates to vulkan support. (though I don't trust too much in MTK support). I hope Phawx can confirm if it comes rooted to control CPU or the refresh rate of the screen.
Retired

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #562 on: December 06, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »
Dolphin Emulator running a GC Game looks perfect. GoW on PSP is improved, but still having slowdowns. Hopefully there are Wii Games that can be run and some MAME Games that have problems on the XD1

Ya, the Gamecube vid of WIND WAKER running smooth is fantastic.. make a lotta gamers happy that it can run GC emulation fine now. Here's hoping that it can handle Wii games also.

;D

Yakoh

« Reply #563 on: December 06, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »

Seeing the difference in benchmakrs in regard to Mipad3 it can be that GPD underclocked it a little bit to save battery (that wouldn't be a surprise) or maybe it suffers some thermal throttling. Single core scores is better than my shield tab, which is quite ok for this upgrade. Lack of vulkan is a pain, but maybe in the future with new firmwares Mediatek updates to vulkan support. (though I don't trust too much in MTK support). I hope Phawx can confirm if it comes rooted to control CPU or the refresh rate of the screen.

According to the device itself (minute 00:40 of the video) it has 2 cortex [email protected] Ghz and 4 cortex [email protected] Ghz, so it doesn't seem to be underclocked, it runs at the exact same speed a MT8176 is supposed to.

So I'm wondering what the difference in performance might be due to. It's not something huge, the Mi Pad 3 scores 1.600-1.700 in single core and 3.700 in multicore, give or take, so it's around 10%, but I'm curious. Whay might be the reason? Thermal throttling as you suggested? A firmware wich is still far finished? Any other software-related issue?

Anyway the XD Plus seems to perform way better than the standar XD, even at this early alpha stage. At least twice as much according to benchmarks, but it seems to be even more in "real-life apps" (like emulators), which is a substantial leap in my opinion.

Faust

« Reply #564 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:17 pm »

According to the device itself (minute 00:40 of the video) it has 2 cortex [email protected] Ghz and 4 cortex [email protected] Ghz, so it doesn't seem to be underclocked, it runs at the exact same speed a MT8176 is supposed to.

So I'm wondering what the difference in performance might be due to. It's not something huge, the Mi Pad 3 scores 1.600-1.700 in single core and 3.700 in multicore, give or take, so it's around 10%, but I'm curious. Whay might be the reason? Thermal throttling as you suggested? A firmware wich is still far finished? Any other software-related issue?

Anyway the XD Plus seems to perform way better than the standar XD, even at this early alpha stage. At least twice as much according to benchmarks, but it seems to be even more in "real-life apps" (like emulators), which is a substantial leap in my opinion.
Or maybe the mi pad runs on the two 2.1gHz cores

Envoy? de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

skelton

« Reply #565 on: December 06, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »
It also could be the firmware, maybe a bit more polished in mi pad 3. The fact that it shows 2,1 ghz doesn't imply it runs like that. Current XD shows 1,8 ghz and runs 1,4 in stock firmware, it needs my kernel to go higher. Anyhow, difference is minimal, and benchhmarks are just orientative. Device is also a proto so It's a bit soon to jump into conclussions. Another teclast device that use the same SoC also score a bit lower than mi pad 3. I think that CPU wise are good scores, mainly in single core which is what most emus use (my shield k1 is about 1100 in single core, and XD is about 900 with 1,8 ghz overclocked, so it's some improvement) . Maybe with root and cpu control scores would be a bit higher. Shield tab has a much better GPU though (and with vulkan).
The mtk8176 is mid range SoC, so I wouldn't expect miracles, it's closer to a snapdragon 652 or RK3399 than to a snapdragon 820 or higher.

The best benchmark anyhow is just testing emus, PPSSPP seems to run better, yaba sanshiro is a doubt (I'll test it when I get mine), or dolphin. Though I wouldn't expect dolphin to be great except less demanding games (wind waker luigi mansions or mario kart)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:42:43 pm by skelton »
Retired

Yakoh

« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »
Yes, and average score on Antutu for devices equipped with a MT8176 seems to be 74177, so performance is ok, and a substantial leap over the currect XD as I said. The Mi Pad 3 just scores a bit higher for whatever reason.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more emulators and games tested on the XD Plus. Maybe it's time to upgrade my old JXD S7800...

retroster

« Reply #567 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:14 pm »
I really wish it had a bigger screen...

ruffnutts

« Reply #568 on: December 06, 2017, 04:00:45 pm »
Or atleast get rid of the black boarder so its to the eadge of the plastic bezel  8)

retroster

« Reply #569 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:14 pm »
Or atleast get rid of the black boarder so its to the eadge of the plastic bezel  8)

since its still not final, i guess we could hope theyll put in a bigger screen?

Faust

« Reply #570 on: December 06, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »

since its still not final, i guess we could hope theyll put in a bigger screen?
They won't.

Envoy? de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

siegel17701

« Reply #571 on: December 06, 2017, 09:00:45 pm »
So at this point it doesn't look that much better than XD1. Other than bluetooth is it worth the upgrade? My XD plays everything I need it to.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #572 on: December 06, 2017, 09:12:09 pm »
hey skelton, if i start a crowdfunding thingy how much of a paycheck would you need to work on a custom kernel/rom?

If it is not a question of time and money, then I understand. But if a paycheck would help you out I could donate once again to help ( once i sort out my own finances hehe ) with whatever amount i can. Even if it is just a little I am sure that more would donate as well.

Just a thought.

skelton

« Reply #573 on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:12 pm »
It's not a question of money, i Will get a device from gpd, it's a matter of time that i don't have. I got more rresponsabilities in  my job  so i practically don't have  time for almost anything. Also, at some point i needed to stop in order that other people continue working with these devices.  Firmware stock seems nice anyway, probably a custom rom is not even needed. I Will help gpd a little bit with firmware if i find something to improve so It should be ok with stock I guess.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:28:05 pm by skelton »
Retired

skelton

« Reply #574 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:23 pm »
So at this point it doesn't look that much better than XD1. Other than bluetooth is it worth the upgrade? My XD plays everything I need it to.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
You have already answered yourself i think. If current xd fit your emulation needs, then you don't need It i guess.
Retired

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #575 on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:54 pm »
yeh as long as the cpu is not capped under its full potential then it shouldn't be a problem.

and i do understand. with what you have contributed already many people thank you =).

so now it is just a matter of a waiting game to see how it ends up.

skelton

« Reply #576 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:53 pm »
yeh as long as the cpu is not capped under its full potential then it shouldn't be a problem.

and i do understand. with what you have contributed already many people thank you =).

so now it is just a matter of a waiting game to see how it ends up.
The only way to know if it needs overclock is seeing kernel Code, which i don't have for ntk8176. Anyhow, a72 cores are fast so even with a slight underclock It should perform well. It's more important than mtk includes vulkan Support for that GPU, since emus are beginning to use it. Also, It seems it comes without root, so unless an easy root method is found, proba my a custom recovery Will be needed to root it. But i Will know more when my proto arrives.
Retired

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #577 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:13 am »
we were discussing how usb-c could be a nice upgrade on the xd+ ( in discord chat). I am wondering if the current xd supports charging while using otg using a "Y" cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Samsung-Player-OTHERS/dp/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H3Y4TFB7R0ZV3D5MJTYK 
I bought it and should get it soon. I will try it and see if it works on old xd.

It was stated on one of the comments that this is a feature that the ROM has to support and am wondering if you came accross anything like that in your rom skelton? If this does work on the xd that would be great and hopefully is something included in the rom that comes with xd+. If not then maybe that is something that should be suggested to the gpd team. This way we can dock the gpd xd and have it charging at the same time.

Here is a link with someone that made a custom kernel/rom to allow charging and otg: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs-kernel-usb-rom/

Thoughts anyone?

Of course if gpd somehow upgrades to usb-c for the xd+ then there will be no need for the hdmi port and it should have charging + docking(otg) capabilities.

Smoker1

« Reply #578 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:51 am »
@PsyOps : I dont think that will work for what you are wanting to use it for. Most Firmware for Android have removed that ability. The only thing that allows is for Charging USB Devices. Otherwise, it will not do anything. You might get it to Charge the Device, but at a slower Rate. I know this because I had the same idea a long while ago :(

skelton

« Reply #579 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:13 am »
As far as i know these kind of adapters should work in my rom and in stock, but it would charge slowly i guess.
Retired

Post a new topic
Post a new topic