Author Topic: GPD XD2  (Read 133500 times)

skelton

Re: GPD XD2
« Reply #500 on: November 25, 2017, 10:59:29 pm »
The new XDS should be available quite soon. Final specs that I know are : MTK8176 (hexa core), 4 GB RAM and 32 EMMC and Android nougat. Protos are being tested and maybe I can get one of them to help them with the stock firmware  so I'll let you know If i get something.

32GB seems very low for todays standards

I have heard them say early next year for the XDS. Strange timing if they lanuch the WIN 2 IGG campaign at the same time

I would have hoped you would be right at the top of the list of people to get a pre production XDS.   Hopefully you do get one soon .  Presumably they will want you to  provide input on the firmware ?

I suppose they wll do more versions with more internal storage, like in current XD. Android nougat allows sdcards to work as internal storage, so no big deal in this sense. (It's what I do in shield TV which is 16GB only).

And yeah, my work is just to provide input about firmware and help them if I find something wrong (bad screen refresh, joystick driver, etc...) but to be honest most probably the firmware will be quite ok for sure. GPD has learned a lot in this sense. I suppose they can do at the same time with win 2 campaign since it's two different targets anyway, (specially in the price, which I think it's gonna be high in win 2. I thinkk XDS will be released sooner because they already have functional protos

Do you know if the XDS will be a slider design or will it be a clamshell design?

It's exactly like XD. It's just an upgrade because Rockchip is no selling RK3288 aymore so they had to change the SoC to keep it manufacturing. But it's not a XD 2 with different design, just an XD with different SoC. They changed the name just to make a difference between the two SoCs, but it's just an upgraded model, so to speak (perhaps with BT, though I am not sure).

For people that already have an XD probably the upgrade is not worth it, but for people who don't, probably the XDS should be better performance wise.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:04:01 pm by skelton »
Retired

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #501 on: November 25, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »
The new XDS should be available quite soon. Final specs that I know are : MTK8176 (hexa core), 4 GB RAM and 32 EMMC and Android nougat. Protos are being tested and maybe I can get one of them to help them with the stock firmware  so I'll let you know If i get something.

I have heard them say early next year for the XDS. Strange timing if they lanuch the WIN 2 IGG campaign at the same time

I would have hoped you would be right at the top of the list of people to get a pre production XDS.   Hopefully you do get one soon .  Presumably they will want you to  provide input on the firmware ?

I suppose they wll do more versions with more internal storage, like in current XD. Android nougat allows sdcards to work as internal storage, so no big deal in this sense. (It's what I do in shield TV which is 16GB only).

And yeah, my work is just to provide input about firmware and help them if I find something wrong (bad screen refresh, joystick driver, etc...) but to be honest most probably the firmware will be quite ok for sure. GPD has learned a lot in this sense. I suppose they can do at the same time with win 2 campaign since it's two different targets anyway, (specially in the price, which I think it's gonna be high in win 2. I thinkk XDS will be released sooner because they already have functional protos

Do you know if the XDS will be a slider design or will it be a clamshell design?

It's exactly like XD. It's just an upgrade because Rockchip is no selling RK3288 aymore so they had to change the SoC to keep it manufacturing. But it's not a XD 2 with different design, just an XD with different SoC. They changed the name just to make a difference between the two SoCs, but it's just an upgraded model, so to speak (perhaps with BT, though I am not sure).

For people that already have an XD probably the upgrade is not worth it, but for people who don't, probably the XDS should be better performance wise.

Pretty sure I heard them say on their Baidu forum that it will have Bluetooth. Not 100% sure though

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #502 on: November 25, 2017, 11:53:37 pm »
Do you think that GPD will run an indiegogo campaign for this XDS model or no? Probably I assume they would do a new indiegogo campaign for the XD 2 or WIN2 I suppose...

skelton

« Reply #503 on: November 26, 2017, 08:44:17 am »
Do you think that GPD will run an indiegogo campaign for this XDS model or no? Probably I assume they would do a new indiegogo campaign for the XD 2 or WIN2 I suppose...

I don't know, they haven't told me. The XD didn'y have campaign, so perhaps XDS is the same case.
Retired

tsukasa67

« Reply #504 on: November 26, 2017, 05:41:28 pm »

Man, if it had higher quality buttons I would be all over it. Surely better switches don't cost that much?

skelton

« Reply #505 on: November 26, 2017, 07:00:17 pm »
I personally don't find issues with xd controls. DPAD and buttons a bit mushy but are fine for me. No idea if some of the buttons or switches will be different in XDS though, or different membranes for dpad....
Retired

Smoker1

« Reply #506 on: November 26, 2017, 08:52:56 pm »
Hopefully the DPad can be Replaced with the 3DS Button, and the Joysticks can be switched out with 2nd Gen Vita Joysticks.
Again, I am still hoping for a 64GB Version

zoragon

« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:33 pm »
Will the new XD2 hardware support Vulkan? That would really help with PPSSPP and might be enough for me to upgrade.

skelton

« Reply #508 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:13 pm »
Will the new XD2 hardware support Vulkan? That would really help with PPSSPP and might be enough for me to upgrade.

Vulkan in PPSSPP in Android is still full of bugs (graphic issues in many games in comparison to openGL
), even on shield TV or shield tablet whose tegra drivers are the most up to date for Vulkan.

Theoretically the GPU support it, but from what I read in PPSSPP forums, the best result are with adreno and nvidia GPUs, mali and PowerVR have worse vulkan drivers. The CPU upgrade is quite big, with two a72 cores that have a great single core performance, so that eould make 90 percent of games fullspeed considering that most games are fullspeed even in current XD tweaking the emu a little bit.

According to this video, the xiaomi mi pad3 support vulkan in dolphin (the games that work with vulkan in android, which are just a few) and it's the same MTK SoC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Ui2m_KP3s
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:57:23 pm by skelton »
Retired

Smoker1

« Reply #509 on: December 01, 2017, 06:57:18 am »
@skelton : The Shield Portable had MAJOR Issues with only 16GB and allowed moving Apps to the MicroSD Card. Not to mention, when Starting up the Device, it Loaded the Card last and slowly. So for Users who have Folders with App Shortcuts, those would have to be put back every time.
Most Devices these Days have 64GB, 128GB or even 256GB. For Emulation, this would be great for MAME Roms, and also for Gaming Apps. 16GB will not get that many Users interrested

skelton

« Reply #510 on: December 01, 2017, 08:27:49 am »
@skelton : The Shield Portable had MAJOR Issues with only 16GB and allowed moving Apps to the MicroSD Card. Not to mention, when Starting up the Device, it Loaded the Card last and slowly. So for Users who have Folders with App Shortcuts, those would have to be put back every time.
Most Devices these Days have 64GB, 128GB or even 256GB. For Emulation, this would be great for MAME Roms, and also for Gaming Apps. 16GB will not get that many Users interrested

With android 7 you can select sd as internal storeage. It's what I do with shiejd TV and works fine. In my XD I only had 16 gbs and never had issues with foldermount. Shield portable firmwares were a bit buggy to be honest.

Anyhow, they will probably make a 64 GB version like with current XD.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:18:00 am by skelton »
Retired

Smoker1

« Reply #511 on: December 01, 2017, 10:08:20 pm »
I hope so. Plus if Bluetooth is confirmed, that will also fix a few other Problems. There are some Games like Asphalt 7, that did not work fully with the PS3/XBox Controller Modes, but worked perfectly with my Moga Controllers. But hoping it will have better Emulation for the Modes.

skelton

« Reply #512 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:20 pm »
The games that are MOGA only is because MOGA pays exclusivity, just that. GPD use a standard HID mode, which is the common on android, but if a game is only developed for a specific controller, then it's hard to implement, perhaps using tincore keymapper. I personally never play android games so no big deal for me as long as emulators work ok. Though to be honest, with the emus on GPd WIN I rarely will play android emus, except Drastic, which has no good alternative under windows.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:06:11 pm by skelton »
Retired

finalmix

« Reply #513 on: December 02, 2017, 01:13:45 am »

Information from someone who has played it for a short period of time:
It will be called ? XD Plus (XD+)?, and the screen display quality will be update over the XD.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #514 on: December 02, 2017, 03:05:57 am »

Information from someone who has played it for a short period of time:
It will be called ? XD Plus (XD+)?, and the screen display quality will be update over the XD.

What/who was the source of this?

LordDavon

« Reply #515 on: December 02, 2017, 04:37:23 am »

And yeah, my work is just to provide input about firmware and help them if I find something wrong (bad screen refresh, joystick driver, etc...) but to be honest most probably the firmware will be quite ok for sure. GPD has learned a lot in this sense. I told them I am retired from custom firmwares but of ot's just testing then it's ok for me if they want to me to test the new model.  suppose they can do at the same time with win 2 campaign since it's two different targets anyway, (specially in the price, which I think it's gonna be high in win 2. I thinkk XDS will be released sooner because they already have functional protos

Do you know if they will update the screen a little, like with the WIN2?  The older I get, the worse my eyes are getting.  I hate wearing my glasses.  I have to wear glasses to use my XD, S7 Edge and even to use my phone for certain things.  Would love to hear they've upgraded to a 6+" screen.  There was room with all that bezel.

AVahne

« Reply #516 on: December 02, 2017, 05:04:14 am »
I skipped the XD since I already have a Shield Portable and because my interest in mobile gaming was starting to wane, but lately I've been playing again now that I have a OnePlus 5T with a lot of storage and enough power for modern mobile games like Lineage 2 Revolution.
The XD+ sounds like it'll have a nice jump in power over the XD (though like everyone else I would've preferred an even bigger jump with the XD2, but I guess that won't be happening any time soon). Obviously won't be anywhere near as good as a phone with Snapdragon 835, but I still want SOMETHING that I can use for when I don't feel like playing with touchscreen or hooking up a BT controller. Plus I just like littering my room with portable devices.

Though, I really hope they increase screen size. I remember all those promotional images showing a pretty big screen, but those all turned out to be BS with them, in reality, just releasing a device with bigass bezels. All I ask is that they make those faked images a reality this time.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #517 on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:21 am »
I  wonder if it will have a fan? 

skelton

« Reply #518 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:41 am »
@LordDavon  , As far as I know, the XD+ or XDS as they also call it it's the same screen as XD, at least GPD told me that they only changed the SoC. But who knows, a prototype is coming so I will let you know when i get it (they sent via ordinary mail, so it will be while till I get it). If they use the same mold as XD I don't think it comes with a fan, probably just dissipation like in current XD I guess.

Anyhow, I just remember that XD+ is just an upgrade from current XD. The presumably XD2 is still in the air and maybe can be a different device (in form factor, or Soc, who knows...)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:47:20 am by skelton »
Retired

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #519 on: December 02, 2017, 11:00:58 pm »
@skelton

for the XD+, are you going to create another custom ROM as legacyROM??

Post a new topic
Post a new topic