Author Topic: GPD XD vs Q9 (for people who doubt which one to buy)  (Read 17698 times)

eragon2890 (OP)

GPD XD vs Q9 (for people who doubt which one to buy)
« on: September 05, 2015, 07:54:50 pm »
So, because some people might be wondering wether they should buy a q9 or an XD, here is a comparison between the two - I play both grey, and I also love all genres of video games and both retro and modern ones :-)

Basically, the two really complement each other. If you have the money, buy both. Most won't want too logically, so here are the key points (important note: there might be a version of the q9 coming with the XD's analogs. It still won't have l3/r3, tough).

- q9 has a way better dpad. The one on the XD is super-accurate and works great for it's size, but it's mushy and small. It's adequate for almost all games (including fighting games/schmups/platformers with diagonals) and great for less intensive genres such as rpgs and rythm games, but the one on the XD is way better/more comfortable for games wich require super fast reaction times such as contra 3 and street fighter.

- XD has way way better analogs. The ones on the Q9 suck. So for games like san andreas, vice city, half life, quake 1 etc. and some emulated games like mario 64, starfox 64, colony wars (psx space sim), the XD is an infinitely better option then the q9. Also in some cases because it has l3 and r3 buttons. Same goes double for gamestreaming.

- Face buttons on both are fine, but the ones on the XD are so small and mushy they have the tactile feedback of a candy capsule. They can be mushed effectively and also held for longer times, but the ones on the Q9 are a bit more responsive because they are much higher. This is off course because the device does not need to fold up. In most games this won't make any difference, but there is one exception: a few schmups like blazing star or platformers like megaman x where the faster you mash the x button the faster you shoot, the Q9 is a better option.

- so overall, the Q9 is better for genres "old platformers" and fighting games (unless you like to play those games also with analog stick), and the XD is better for FPS games and gamestreaming, and 3d platformers and flight sims. Racing games, RPGS, rythm games play great on both.

Some other points (controls are most important IMHO for a game handheld like this):

- XD has a way way better screen, so for example watching youtube or anime or movies on it is much better. But the q9 is 7 inch so if you want to, say, read manga, you will need the extra space. Both have superb viewing angles.

- Speakers on the XD are way better. so good you actually don't need a headphone if you don't want one at home.

- Battery life for both is good, but the XD is incredible. I just had to plug it in the charger after 7 hours of PSP gaming (persona 3 portable) and an hour of anime at max brightness all the time. The Q9 lasts "only" about 5-6 hours of this.

- They are both quite ergonomic; which is more so comes down to individual preference.

- The Q9 has the option to swap storage so that your android games will be installed on external sd; XD lacks this option. Still I have no storage problems at all with my 16 GB XD + 32 GB microsd for roms and anime.

- Software on both is (for all practical accounts and purposes) the same. Internal hardware is also exactly the same, altough XD runs at 1.4 GHZ and Q9 at 1.6. You won't usually notice this at all.

- They both have a HDMI 2.0 port, so can be used as a 4k setupbox if you don't mind the lack of bluetooth.

That about sums it up. :-)

Sorry if it's too much text, but I thought it might help someone who is trying to decide which of the two to buy. :-)

Skelton-retired

Re: GPD XD vs Q9 (for people who doubt which one to buy)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:41 pm »

- XD has way way better analogs. The ones on the Q9 suck. So for games like san andreas, vice city, half life, quake 1 etc. and some emulated games like mario 64, starfox 64, colony wars (psx space sim), the XD is an infinitely better option then the q9.

There is new batch of q9 called Q9PSV that has the same analogs as XD.
Also, q9 runs at 1,4 ghz too, unless you use a very old firmware or my LegacyROM, But 99 percent of people that buy a q9 now will have it at 1,4 ghz, because it will be the q9psv model.
Retired

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:54:40 pm »

- XD has way way better analogs. The ones on the Q9 suck. So for games like san andreas, vice city, half life, quake 1 etc. and some emulated games like mario 64, starfox 64, colony wars (psx space sim), the XD is an infinitely better option then the q9.

There is new batch of q9 called Q9PSV that has the same analogs as XD.
Also, q9 runs at 1,4 ghz too, unless you use a very old firmware or my LegacyROM, But 99 percent of people that buy a q9 now will have it at 1,4 ghz, because it will be the q9psv model.

True I did note the new analogs, but it still does not have the l3/r3 buttons.

And you're right off course... I never updated the firmware, it's still from April :O

EDIT: I have to say, that new q9 would probably be my fav of the three. But you don't know these things in advance, and owning both works really well: I get to play everything perfectly. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:03:46 pm by eragon2890 »

jonlad

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:25:20 pm »
Thanks for the comparison. I'm in the market for one of these.

Think its gonna be the XD but hopefully GPD will sort the few issues out soon.

Maybe the D-pad could be sorted with a new rubbermat? That seems to be the main issue now?

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 09:41:10 pm »
unlikely, the dpad is super accurate also for diagonals. Technically, it works really really well. It's just small. XD so less comfortable. It's by no means 'bad' , but it's just that everything looks bad compared to the piece of art that is the dpad on the q9. (better then even a sega saturn dpad IMHO, I tried both xD).

They did already fix the whining noise coming from same units, and the hinge sqeak from a few months back too. I think it's safe to order an XD now, but it might be handy to wait for the new batch of Q9's which will have the XD's analogs. If you don't need l3 and r3 that might be a good option too. :)

SONY

• !
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:16:24 am »
Hey eragon dumbass!! Are you aware the Q9 and the XD are in different screen size markets?
Not everyone wants a 5" screen and not everyone wants a 7" screen.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

dragonforce

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 11:44:40 pm »
Why is the XD better in Game Streaming?

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 07:36:26 am »
Why is the XD better in Game Streaming?

Better analogs and l3, r3 buttons :-)

airdream

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:29:53 am »
Q9 and XD have same hardware, so difference is only in format factor.
I enjoy Q9 DPAD, and I am not really confortable with XD format, (I prefer PSVITA than 3DSXL also)
Better resolution is not very important when playing 8, 16 ou 32 bit games and 7 inch screen is more confortable, so Q9 is better for me
If XD was at the same price or cheaper than Q9, I certainly choose Q9 again.

But XD seems more popular than Q9, why!!!!!

eragon2890 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 12:01:13 pm »
Q9 and XD have same hardware, so difference is only in format factor.
I enjoy Q9 DPAD, and I am not really confortable with XD format, (I prefer PSVITA than 3DSXL also)
Better resolution is not very important when playing 8, 16 ou 32 bit games and 7 inch screen is more confortable, so Q9 is better for me
If XD was at the same price or cheaper than Q9, I certainly choose Q9 again.

But XD seems more popular than Q9, why!!!!!

Well, not just resolution is better, also colours, brightness, and it pops more.

But, the XD is just much better for more modern games. San Andreas, modern combat 4, gamestreaming etc. Because of the great analogs and in some cases the l3 and r3 buttons. Plus the screen is much better for watching youtube, movies, anime... and the speakers are much better too. And it's more portable. The battery life is longer.

Basically if you like to play FPS games and RPG's for example (Both modern and retro) you will really want to buy an XD. If you want to play mostly arcade games and snes/megadrive platfomers, you will want a Q9. I personally play all sorts of games both old and modern, so I got both and am really happy with both of them. :)

sirp0p0

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:36 pm »
For anyone looking at the Q9, here is my experience with the build quality of the d-pad:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/q9-disappointing-build-quality-broken-d-pad/

At this point I have heard worse things about the XD so I'm happy with my Q9 although disappointed I have the old style analog.

alexg1989

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »
So the Q9 and the XD run everything emulator wise exactly the same way? It can run everything the XD can with the same level of quality? I see these are cheaper so should I just get the Q9? I want it for N64, Dreamcast,, PS1, PSP emulation ...

Skelton-retired

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 07:57:53 pm »
They run emus similarly. Your choice depends on the form factor you prefer. I think XD globally is a better device.
Retired

sirp0p0

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 12:46:51 am »
So the Q9 and the XD run everything emulator wise exactly the same way? It can run everything the XD can with the same level of quality? I see these are cheaper so should I just get the Q9? I want it for N64, Dreamcast,, PS1, PSP emulation ...

The XD is better in terms of quality. The buttons feel much nicer, the form factor is much better for travelling, has a slightly better battery, and though the screen is smaller it looks much crisper than the Q9.

The Q9's big screen is very big and nice, but the buttons have a small plastic rod connecting the 4 buttons and it will break, and the buttons can actually sink into the case if you push hard enough. It's also bigger and bulkier.

Where do you think you'll be using it most? If you're just at home the Q9 is great but if you want to be somewhere and have something to play the XD is much easier to carry around and play.

Also, I think the XD supports OpenGL 3.0 and the Q9 only supports 2.0 which might make a small difference in some games but I'm not 100% on that.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 09:25:51 am »

The XD is better in terms of quality. The buttons feel much nicer, the form factor is much better for travelling, has a slightly better battery, and though the screen is smaller it looks much crisper than the Q9.

The Q9's big screen is very big and nice, but the buttons have a small plastic rod connecting the 4 buttons and it will break, and the buttons can actually sink into the case if you push hard enough. It's also bigger and bulkier.

Where do you think you'll be using it most? If you're just at home the Q9 is great but if you want to be somewhere and have something to play the XD is much easier to carry around and play.

Also, I think the XD supports OpenGL 3.0 and the Q9 only supports 2.0 which might make a small difference in some games but I'm not 100% on that.

Q9 is also OpenGL 3.0. both are rk3288 with the same mali.
Retired

sirp0p0

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 02:06:14 pm »
Ok I wasn't sure.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic