So, because some people might be wondering wether they should buy a q9 or an XD, here is a comparison between the two - I play both grey, and I also love all genres of video games and both retro and modern ones :-)
Basically, the two really complement each other. If you have the money, buy both. Most won't want too logically, so here are the key points (important note: there might be a version of the q9 coming with the XD's analogs. It still won't have l3/r3, tough).
- q9 has a way better dpad. The one on the XD is super-accurate and works great for it's size, but it's mushy and small. It's adequate for almost all games (including fighting games/schmups/platformers with diagonals) and great for less intensive genres such as rpgs and rythm games, but the one on the XD is way better/more comfortable for games wich require super fast reaction times such as contra 3 and street fighter.
- XD has way way better analogs. The ones on the Q9 suck. So for games like san andreas, vice city, half life, quake 1 etc. and some emulated games like mario 64, starfox 64, colony wars (psx space sim), the XD is an infinitely better option then the q9. Also in some cases because it has l3 and r3 buttons. Same goes double for gamestreaming.
- Face buttons on both are fine, but the ones on the XD are so small and mushy they have the tactile feedback of a candy capsule. They can be mushed effectively and also held for longer times, but the ones on the Q9 are a bit more responsive because they are much higher. This is off course because the device does not need to fold up. In most games this won't make any difference, but there is one exception: a few schmups like blazing star or platformers like megaman x where the faster you mash the x button the faster you shoot, the Q9 is a better option.
- so overall, the Q9 is better for genres "old platformers" and fighting games (unless you like to play those games also with analog stick), and the XD is better for FPS games and gamestreaming, and 3d platformers and flight sims. Racing games, RPGS, rythm games play great on both.
Some other points (controls are most important IMHO for a game handheld like this):
- XD has a way way better screen, so for example watching youtube or anime or movies on it is much better. But the q9 is 7 inch so if you want to, say, read manga, you will need the extra space. Both have superb viewing angles.
- Speakers on the XD are way better. so good you actually don't need a headphone if you don't want one at home.
- Battery life for both is good, but the XD is incredible. I just had to plug it in the charger after 7 hours of PSP gaming (persona 3 portable) and an hour of anime at max brightness all the time. The Q9 lasts "only" about 5-6 hours of this.
- They are both quite ergonomic; which is more so comes down to individual preference.
- The Q9 has the option to swap storage so that your android games will be installed on external sd; XD lacks this option. Still I have no storage problems at all with my 16 GB XD + 32 GB microsd for roms and anime.
- Software on both is (for all practical accounts and purposes) the same. Internal hardware is also exactly the same, altough XD runs at 1.4 GHZ and Q9 at 1.6. You won't usually notice this at all.
- They both have a HDMI 2.0 port, so can be used as a 4k setupbox if you don't mind the lack of bluetooth.
That about sums it up. :-)
Sorry if it's too much text, but I thought it might help someone who is trying to decide which of the two to buy. :-)