• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD XD - No response; not turning on, no lights, nothing  (Read 21285 times)

dragonforce

Re: GPD XD - No response; not turning on, no lights, nothing
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 11:34:55 am »
Good news everyone!

After leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours and then putting it on charge the XD suddenly came to life with the battery sitting on 0%

I'm still not completely sure what caused it or what fixed but if I had to guess I would say: turning it off and leaving it to charge somehow messed it up. Unplugging the battery and letting the system drain then plugging it back into charge and turning it on seemed to fix it.

Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully this works for others too. Moral of the story is don't ever charge the XD while it's turned off.

So it turns out I may have spoken too soon :(
I left it to charge all night and when I checked on it this morning the green LED was on and the device said it was fully charged, sounded great so far. But as soon as I unplugged the charging cable it died. Back to square one, no LED lights, no response at all.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the battery and then putting it back on charge to see if that would work again, but no response.

I'm going to leave the battery unplugged today, leaving it unplugged for a long time seemed to do the trick last time. But even if it comes back again, then what? Can anyone think of what might be causing this?

I'm thinking there might be a way to 'reset' the battery, maybe that might help. The only other thing I can think of is to flash an older firmware and see if that fixes it.

Do you happen to live in the netherlands? If so, i could order the battery for you from gpd, as i am also going to order the XD from them.

scribblenaut (OP)

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 02:52:23 pm »
Good news everyone!

After leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours and then putting it on charge the XD suddenly came to life with the battery sitting on 0%

I'm still not completely sure what caused it or what fixed but if I had to guess I would say: turning it off and leaving it to charge somehow messed it up. Unplugging the battery and letting the system drain then plugging it back into charge and turning it on seemed to fix it.

Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully this works for others too. Moral of the story is don't ever charge the XD while it's turned off.

So it turns out I may have spoken too soon :(
I left it to charge all night and when I checked on it this morning the green LED was on and the device said it was fully charged, sounded great so far. But as soon as I unplugged the charging cable it died. Back to square one, no LED lights, no response at all.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the battery and then putting it back on charge to see if that would work again, but no response.

I'm going to leave the battery unplugged today, leaving it unplugged for a long time seemed to do the trick last time. But even if it comes back again, then what? Can anyone think of what might be causing this?

I'm thinking there might be a way to 'reset' the battery, maybe that might help. The only other thing I can think of is to flash an older firmware and see if that fixes it.

Do you happen to live in the netherlands? If so, i could order the battery for you from gpd, as i am also going to order the XD from them.

Nah, I live in Australia. Thanks for the l offer though :)

eragon2890

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »
I just got the scare of my life - for nothing, luckily.  (my heart-rate is just now returning to normal...)

It was in the charger as I was playing san andreas. I turned it off (because after a few hours teh game started to lag a bit and so did android - thought I'd clean up the RAM) and immediately wanted to turn it back on again. It did not respond to standard power button press, so I thought - "oh no..."

Then I noticed the screen was a tad bit brigther then off, like it was actually in some sort of deep sleep mode. So I kept pushing the power button for 7 seconds. It really turned off then. Then I turned it on again while still in the charger, it came on in a few seconds like usual and now it happily lies charging in standby mode. (and also no problem if I remove cable, it really is fine)

So something to try if you think your device does not come back up after you turn it off while charging? :)

(and it happened quite naturally, and the led kept working as intended, but off course this can't be what's supposed to happen, anyone know/guess what happened? An android crash as I turned it off or something? :O)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:16:08 pm by eragon2890 »

eragon2890

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:18 pm »
I just tried turning it off and on while not charging, no problems at all. PFEWWW!

But... I am scared (my hairs  literally stand up) at the thought of turning it off and on while it's charging now and since that's totally unncessery anyway... I think I won't do that.

But just in case I have to sometimes (say it one times force reboots while in charger or something) can someone please confirm that that is safe and has no risk of running into the issue(s) discussed in this thread?? :D

jonlad

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2015, 09:33:45 pm »
Sorry guys, the whole charging issue is a mess and a pain in the eye for those having it.

Chinese "Android" companies used to have QC problems, many have solve it, but GPD case seems to be extreme even today. I think GPD should be more humble and stop churning out so many devices. Just focus on one and do it right, then support it for a while to make it run better and speed up sales with the mouth to mouth,  instead of releasing devices plagued by design oversights (G5A dpad), shoddy craftmanship (new units that reveal to be reworked when opened), cheap/untested components (screens, batteries and pretty much everything) and poor aftersales support (my Q9 came back with a broken button and a dead battery after two months away for a defective screen).

Personally, after a G7, a G5A and a Q9, this battery mess does not come as a surprise to me. The G7 was sturdy and reliable, but everything else I got had really big problems. I would think many times before buying again another GPD, but over all:   I would NEVER preorder any of their stuff. And that is not even considering the fact that $140 devices  are not cheap regardless of the specs they have and they are supposed to work with no EXCUSES.

They should do that instead of having fake accounts or than posting 2 or 3 messages saying sorry guys that paid 140 dollars THE NEXT BATCH WILL BE MUCH BETTER. What a consolation!

Yeah this is just unacceptable. And Willgoo and others saying that stuff is just awful tbqh. I don't like Willgoo and wouldn't recommend their shop to anyone because I've been burned, but that's just a whole other level of f*** the customer. It's like hey guys, don't worry you can buy another console that works properly in a few months. Enjoy your defective unit in the meantime and thanks for the 140 bucks.

Can you elaborate on your experience with Wilgoo? I was planning on buying mine from there.....

Dont want to be having dramas with an RMA if the situation ever came up  ???

acid

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:57 am »
Here's a nice collection of Willgoo stories.

boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/why-i'm-never-going-back-to-willgoo/

Bottom line, you better pray the unit doesn't have any problems.

Kayday

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 04:49:40 am »
Have you guys tried charging the XD with another MicroUSB cable? I noticed one day that my microusb cable that came with my Samsung phone was not charging my phone but discharging the battery. I replaced it and all was fine. The cable still works as data but not for charging. I also tend to stay away from cheap microusb cables. Have had bad experience with them not charging or dying very fast.

Also, I think someone mentioned not to use the cable that came with the XD. I'm using my PS4 microsub cable to charge the XD.

algorithm

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:12 pm »
The GPD XD (Re-marketed as the Droidbox Playon) was delivered today and I had a great time on this device.   Truly a huge improvement in every aspect in comparison to my JXD S7800B..  But..

Decided to charge the thing when it was at 25% battery life with the device off...  Came back an hour later and everything including all lights were off.

Holding down the power button and releasing it would quickly flash the red/green light and turn off

Removing the charger (or turning the power off the charger) and then attempting to turn on the device would turn it on but it would barely make it to the start screen reporting battery life of 1% and then turn off

During the above, while turning on, even switching back on the charger and cable would not light up any LED's

Using the Volume Down and Power hold method would display the red light (but would then eventually turn off - I guess this is because it finds out that there is no communication as it is expecting usb data transfer or acknowledgement)

Connecting to the PC system via USB = same issues with non charge.  Light will not turn on at all.   Removing cable and then turning it on+ then connecting usb cable to pc does detect the device but then quickly powers down due to 1% battery life.

I have also tried the volume down and power method and this keeps the red light on when connected to the PC (Furthermore detection is not an issue either via rock-chip tools).   I kept it at the red light stage for a few hours in the hope that there may be a trickle charge (and the red led was on) but to no avail...

The device is now all wrapped up ready to return back.  Seems the "badly designed" jxd s7800b has outlived the GPD.

The morale of this story is...   You get what you pay for.   If something is cheap, then expect some corners cut.   I have heard stories of this GPD device getting screen damaged because it is charged while off or battery dying (like it did to mine) - totally inexcusable.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2016, 10:17:01 pm »
I guess you just had bad luck and got a deffective unit with a deffective batttery. Use warranty and get a new one where you bought it.
Retired

algorithm

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2016, 10:25:06 am »
I have decided against purchasing another product like this.   In the meantime, my Galaxy S6 via clip-on gamepad does the job better than any of these other unreliable products.

Marco

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »
This Morning my GPD XD dident turn on too.
I had it charging over Night with the Charger and Cable from my galaxy s6. the XD was shut off.
When i first looked at it, i was surprised that the Led wasent glowing at all. the Bottom of the Device was Hand-warm. i tried to turn it on but it's not making any move at all.

Now i read through this thread, by now my XD is open, and i will wait for some hours.
When i bought it, i was soooo happy until i found out that the port of Soulcalibur has shitty controls, the DC-Port in reicast has flickering Backgrounds and Segarally2 dosent work at all. Those two Games were the main Reason for me to get that Device, that fact made me angry already. Now that i have come over that, i spent the last week photoshopping Gamelogos for HAL-Launcher and now this piece of shit-quality Device dies out on me.

But not only that... when i opened it up, to eventually get a Replacement Battery i figured that there are NO Info's of what Type of Battery this is, no Voltage, no Amp's no NOTHING!!!!

i spent so much day's and hour's to configure Emulators, getting the right roms, flashing the device, setting up hal launcher, you all know than you can't do this all in an easy sunday afternoon when you are new to this device.

and now when the most things run nearly ok and playable, it dies.
It's not only the Money it did cost me (DHL want's a creepy amount of Money for cuostum-dues and handling when you're in switzerland) it's also the insane amount of time i invested! Goddamn!

I'm pissed off madly >:(

Edit : The Battery is taped down so tight, that i might destroy the Battery when attempting to get it out, how did u guy's manage this? i don't wanna bend it or so...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:43:12 pm by Marco »

algorithm

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2017, 01:46:36 pm »
Its very well known that a fast charger together with the GPD XD will damage the device.  (In particular the Samsung Galaxy S6 Fast Charger) - This also happened to me before I got my replacement.    The issue is that the voltage of 9v is sent regardless.   (I know that some devices communicate with the chargers in order to pull off the right amount of power)  Not with the XD. 

Probably wont do much good replacing the battery either (I would recommend that you send it back if you can and mention that it just did not turn on - Do not mention the fast charger)

algorithm

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
One other note.  If you do manage to get a replacement, also ensure that you never turn the device off or on while it is charging as due to a design flaw, it may fry the screen circuitry.  Not sure if it affects some or all devices (and it may also be progressive damage rather than immediate).   Either turn off fully then charge.  Then remove charge cable and turn on, or turn on and charge, and remove charge cable before turning off.

Marco

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:20 pm »
nice ...in other threads there is mentioned that we should use quality chargers and cables...
now, should i stick with the original that came with the device?
and, would you say, my xd is dead now?? not only the battery?

eragon2890

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 02:06:11 pm »
This Morning my GPD XD dident turn on too.
I had it charging over Night with the Charger and Cable from my galaxy s6. the XD was shut off.
When i first looked at it, i was surprised that the Led wasent glowing at all. the Bottom of the Device was Hand-warm. i tried to turn it on but it's not making any move at all.

Now i read through this thread, by now my XD is open, and i will wait for some hours.
When i bought it, i was soooo happy until i found out that the port of Soulcalibur has shitty controls, the DC-Port in reicast has flickering Backgrounds and Segarally2 dosent work at all. Those two Games were the main Reason for me to get that Device, that fact made me angry already. Now that i have come over that, i spent the last week photoshopping Gamelogos for HAL-Launcher and now this piece of shit-quality Device dies out on me.

But not only that... when i opened it up, to eventually get a Replacement Battery i figured that there are NO Info's of what Type of Battery this is, no Voltage, no Amp's no NOTHING!!!!

i spent so much day's and hour's to configure Emulators, getting the right roms, flashing the device, setting up hal launcher, you all know than you can't do this all in an easy sunday afternoon when you are new to this device.

and now when the most things run nearly ok and playable, it dies.
It's not only the Money it did cost me (DHL want's a creepy amount of Money for cuostum-dues and handling when you're in switzerland) it's also the insane amount of time i invested! Goddamn!

I'm pissed off madly >:(

Edit : The Battery is taped down so tight, that i might destroy the Battery when attempting to get it out, how did u guy's manage this? i don't wanna bend it or so...

So, the only two games you wanted to buy it for are ones for which it's known and people reported here and can be seen on youtube that they don't work, and despite a million warnings you blew it up with a fast charger, and now you are pissed off?

I mean sorry, but that sounds quite unreasonable... with all due respect, investigate before you buy :-/

there are a million warnings on here that a s6 charger WILL blow it up. It would probably have lasted a year or much longer (dpending on use) if you had just charge it with a normal charger.

It's actually built quite well. That's why , you know, it's difficult to remove the battery - it's built sturdily. IT doesn't fall apart. You just shouldn't have used a fast charger.

And sorry, but snes games,psx, dos, ds, gba, nes, mega drive, arcade, android, amiga, etc. games all work great. The entire libraries of all those systems work without issue. Reicast is clearly labeled as a ALPHA emulator. It's well known that it flickers in some games. There is like a dozen videos on youtube of that hapening with that exact game on GPD devices for god's sake.

It's not GPD's fault if the only two games you buy it for are also about the only ones who don't work (which is known), and you then blow it up yourself (despite like, a 100 threads on here that you shouldn't use a fast charger).

Sorry to say, but, next time you buy anything, first use google to find out whether or not you could play those games on it. It would take about 2 minutes.

eragon2890

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »
nice ...in other threads there is mentioned that we should use quality chargers and cables...
now, should i stick with the original that came with the device?
and, would you say, my xd is dead now?? not only the battery?

And yes. it's dead. You blew the capacitors. They are not made for quick charge voltage. you can use ANY 2.0A/5.0V charger with it. I use a samsing one myself. But 2.0A/5.0V, NO FAST CHARGERS!

And indeed don't turn it off/on while charging. They should have fixed that bug like a year ago, but it doesn't hurt to be carefull. It will last you quite a while if you just charge it on standby, it's mostly built like a tank.

algorithm

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2017, 02:16:49 pm »
I charge mine via my PC's USB port (I know it takes longer, but when I am on my pc working on something, I am in no hurry)   Still going strong and despite its two main flaws, it is a very good device.   Pretty much N64, PS1 and under and the retro arcade emulation works perfectly with it with even some PSP games being rather playable.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2017, 01:29:31 am »
And yes. it's dead. You blew the capacitors. They are not made for quick charge voltage. you can use ANY 2.0A/5.0V charger with it. I use a samsing one myself. But 2.0A/5.0V, NO FAST CHARGERS!

And indeed don't turn it off/on while charging. They should have fixed that bug like a year ago, but it doesn't hurt to be carefull. It will last you quite a while if you just charge it on standby, it's mostly built like a tank.

Hi eragon2890. Which samsung model charger are you using? I bought a samsung charger for the S4 samsung galaxy, it says 5V, 2A and according to the seller it's a normal charger, not a fast one. Since then i'm not seeing those magical fire sparkles, which means it's safe, right?

eragon2890

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:26 am »

Hi eragon2890. Which samsung model charger are you using? I bought a samsung charger for the S4 samsung galaxy, it says 5V, 2A and according to the seller it's a normal charger, not a fast one. Since then i'm not seeing those magical fire sparkles, which means it's safe, right?

I think I have the exact same charger probably. IT's a 2.0 A 5.0 v black samsung charger, no fast charge. I use it to power my Q9 since april 2015 without issue, and I also powered my XD for 14 months with it without any problems ever and I now use it for the WIN. Also the revo k101 plus and my xiami powerbank plus my smartphone - so yeah, I say you can plug anyhting into it! :)