• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD XD - No response; not turning on, no lights, nothing  (Read 21285 times)

eragon2890

Re: GPD XD - No response; not turning on, no lights, nothing
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 10:30:44 am »
Not good. I have charged mine like 10 times allready tough, and while I had it on for 10 days since I got it I did reboot yesterday once (to keep RAM from filling up) while in charger, no problems at all. I am on old firmware, I never update it as long as I have no issues (my Q9 is also still working great despite very intensive usage over the past 4 months, it's on the 1.6 ghz firmware from april).

I think this might be related to the new firmware if made in china was correct about changing voltages and the like being the way to fix the whining noises from the backlight circuits. Just guessing, but they might have fixed it succesfully but changed something just the wrong way that it damages the units. I would recommend no-one install this firmware update and that you two report this to customer service (send PM here on the forum), they might be able to fix the problem with a less dangerous update for other people if this is the case. It wouldn't be the first time software updates brick electronic devices...

scribblenaut (OP)

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 11:05:14 am »
I've now tried unplugging and replugging the battery, no response. I've left it unplugged for now, maybe the whole thing will drain.

I tried pushing the reset button but I couldn't get any response with that either. Tried pushing it while holding the power button.

Last thing was holding volume up and the power button, but that didn't seem to help either.

At this point it looks completely dead, I can't get any lights or any response at all.

I hope this only affects a small number of units.

Have you tried the trick below?

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-xd-no-response-not-turning-on-no-lights-nothing/15/

Yes. They suggest holding down volume up while pushing the power button. Didn't seem to do anything for me unfortunately.

eragon2890

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 11:07:40 am »
Still, considering the power led works, that this has happened to multiple people with their g5a and it was not broken, and that someone posted that their samsung, acer, and g5a all had this problem - I find it a bit premmature to just conclude they already broke. Maybe their some other way to reset the device on rk3288 instead of 3188?

Maybe ask customer service that...

acid

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 12:06:24 pm »
It really does look like it has a lot of issues. I'm tempted, but I think I'll stick to my old jxd s7800b for now.

eragon2890

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »
It really does look like it has a lot of issues. I'm tempted, but I think I'll stick to my old jxd s7800b for now.

Yeah, mine is great (except for right speaker at loud volumes but really no problem) but right now its like a lottery. If you get one like mine hiu are in heaven and its rewlly solid and sturdy and high quality, but you can also get a bad one...

When everything works its awesome tough! So i would wait a few weeks,  very likely they next batches will have better qa because less rush.

Or get a new q9 with the new xd analogs, no l3/r3 but combination of the q9 *awesome* dpad, face buttons and triggers, and the xd's *awesome* analogs. And a big 7 inch screen. And cheaper. It also has 4-8 times the 3d anddoid game performance as the jxd 7800b. So thatmight be a great option if you dont do gamestreaming and thus dont need l3 and r3. It combines awesome dpad and awesome analogs nd less people seem to have issues with it :-)

I love both my xd and q9 tough, they complement each other perfectly :-)

Skelton-retired

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 02:27:44 pm »
Could it be that device is in MASK ROM mode. Try installing RK drivers:

https://mega.nz/#!5wAlwYKA!f4pro3keYGj6iFoZFd9vo7Ic4-bARefLvDBP7hVWO5U

And try RKBatchTool to connect it to PC:

https://mega.nz/#!5gwwTQzD!WNmcNOH_FPVVtlCB72ZVANGRoTkZ_w7hlPgKWRTerXg

Try connecting it via USB to PC using the combo Volume - and Power. If you see a blue or Pink square try reflashing a firmware using Switch and Restore buttons. If you don't see anything, then maybe is a hardware issue.
Retired

scribblenaut (OP)

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »
Good news everyone!

After leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours and then putting it on charge the XD suddenly came to life with the battery sitting on 0%

I'm still not completely sure what caused it or what fixed but if I had to guess I would say: turning it off and leaving it to charge somehow messed it up. Unplugging the battery and letting the system drain then plugging it back into charge and turning it on seemed to fix it.

Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully this works for others too. Moral of the story is don't ever charge the XD while it's turned off.

eragon2890

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 04:22:57 pm »
Good news everyone!

After leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours and then putting it on charge the XD suddenly came to life with the battery sitting on 0%

I'm still not completely sure what caused it or what fixed but if I had to guess I would say: turning it off and leaving it to charge somehow messed it up. Unplugging the battery and letting the system drain then plugging it back into charge and turning it on seemed to fix it.

Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully this works for others too. Moral of the story is don't ever charge the XD while it's turned off.

HOORAY! But I think moral is "don't charge any android device with the battery off" given that someone else had this on their GPD device, and their samsung, and their acer, all in the same way...

And this story also explains why as soon as I put it in the charger my archos gamepad 2 turned on and it was 100% impossible to charge it while it's off. Probably they wanted to avoid this apparent issue...

Skelton-retired

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 04:40:49 pm »
Charging the device off shouldnt be an issue at al. I have always charged all my gpd or jxd device being off without problems. Probably was just a random failure.
Retired

­

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 06:03:02 pm »
It's a problem that's tied to the dual use of the micro USB port. If the device thinks a peripheral it doesn't recognize is connected instead of a power source, it will stop the current. This happened to me with a couple of devices.
Moral of the story is, trust the LEDs. If it says it's charging, it's charging. If it doesn't, even while connected to the outlet, you should disconnect the cable, reboot/shut down the device and try again.

masterofstuff124

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:07 pm »
Skelton I tried the RKbatchtool. adn still got nothing. Holding vol and power does nothing. Its dead. a brick. I dont want to open it up as im working on Refund, rma, etc...
"Space does tend to take your breath away"

dragonforce

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 09:09:36 pm »
This morning i wanted to order one, just to find out that the 32GB Black is not available. And now i read about this problem.

Now i am not sure what to do.

­

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 09:29:59 pm »
If you already made out your mind about the device, I'd recommend go ahead and buying it. Battery faults are pretty common with mobile devices, but currently they're the exception rather than the rule with GPD XD - so it's a pretty safe bet.

Also, don't worry about the color of your GPD XD. They plastic is coated rather than dyed, so the paint peels off anyway.

scribblenaut (OP)

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 11:20:46 pm »
Good news everyone!

So it turns out I may have spoken too soon :(
I left it to charge all night and when I checked on it this morning the green LED was on and the device said it was fully charged, sounded great so far. But as soon as I unplugged the charging cable it died. Back to square one, no LED lights, no response at all.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the battery and then putting it back on charge to see if that would work again, but no response.

I'm going to leave the battery unplugged today, leaving it unplugged for a long time seemed to do the trick last time. But even if it comes back again, then what? Can anyone think of what might be causing this?

I'm thinking there might be a way to 'reset' the battery, maybe that might help. The only other thing I can think of is to flash an older firmware and see if that fixes it.

­

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 02:40:51 am »
Once a battery has died, you can't "reset" it, and it sounds like that's what happened. I'd suggest looking for a replacement battery.

However, if/when you install it, take notice if it recharges properly. You might have a defective unit and a more serious problem with the charge circuit, and you'll just end up with a bunch of dead batteries.

vermillion

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 08:25:09 am »
I seem to have had a charging issue with the 3.3.2 firmware. Charged XD while off from 70% , 10 hours later led's were off but bottom of XD was hot. Now reverted back to 3.2.0 and again charged overnight, in the morning led's off and bottom ambient.

midknight

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 08:46:53 am »
Good news everyone!

So it turns out I may have spoken too soon :(
I left it to charge all night and when I checked on it this morning the green LED was on and the device said it was fully charged, sounded great so far. But as soon as I unplugged the charging cable it died. Back to square one, no LED lights, no response at all.

I tried unplugging and re-plugging the battery and then putting it back on charge to see if that would work again, but no response.

I'm going to leave the battery unplugged today, leaving it unplugged for a long time seemed to do the trick last time. But even if it comes back again, then what? Can anyone think of what might be causing this?

I'm thinking there might be a way to 'reset' the battery, maybe that might help. The only other thing I can think of is to flash an older firmware and see if that fixes it.

you may have a bad battery it kinda sounds like its tripping some kind of safety or battery timer is all messed up.
look at your battery see if its bulging

Melquiades

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:12 am »
Sorry guys, the whole charging issue is a mess and a pain in the eye for those having it.

Chinese "Android" companies used to have QC problems, many have solve it, but GPD case seems to be extreme even today. I think GPD should be more humble and stop churning out so many devices. Just focus on one and do it right, then support it for a while to make it run better and speed up sales with the mouth to mouth,  instead of releasing devices plagued by design oversights (G5A dpad), shoddy craftmanship (new units that reveal to be reworked when opened), cheap/untested components (screens, batteries and pretty much everything) and poor aftersales support (my Q9 came back with a broken button and a dead battery after two months away for a defective screen).

Personally, after a G7, a G5A and a Q9, this battery mess does not come as a surprise to me. The G7 was sturdy and reliable, but everything else I got had really big problems. I would think many times before buying again another GPD, but over all:   I would NEVER preorder any of their stuff. And that is not even considering the fact that $140 devices  are not cheap regardless of the specs they have and they are supposed to work with no EXCUSES.

They should do that instead of having fake accounts or than posting 2 or 3 messages saying sorry guys that paid 140 dollars THE NEXT BATCH WILL BE MUCH BETTER. What a consolation!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:06:43 am by Melquiades »

Melquiades

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 09:02:08 am »
DELETED. Quoted, not modified.

acid

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 11:18:15 am »
Sorry guys, the whole charging issue is a mess and a pain in the eye for those having it.

Chinese "Android" companies used to have QC problems, many have solve it, but GPD case seems to be extreme even today. I think GPD should be more humble and stop churning out so many devices. Just focus on one and do it right, then support it for a while to make it run better and speed up sales with the mouth to mouth,  instead of releasing devices plagued by design oversights (G5A dpad), shoddy craftmanship (new units that reveal to be reworked when opened), cheap/untested components (screens, batteries and pretty much everything) and poor aftersales support (my Q9 came back with a broken button and a dead battery after two months away for a defective screen).

Personally, after a G7, a G5A and a Q9, this battery mess does not come as a surprise to me. The G7 was sturdy and reliable, but everything else I got had really big problems. I would think many times before buying again another GPD, but over all:   I would NEVER preorder any of their stuff. And that is not even considering the fact that $140 devices  are not cheap regardless of the specs they have and they are supposed to work with no EXCUSES.

They should do that instead of having fake accounts or than posting 2 or 3 messages saying sorry guys that paid 140 dollars THE NEXT BATCH WILL BE MUCH BETTER. What a consolation!

Yeah this is just unacceptable. And Willgoo and others saying that stuff is just awful tbqh. I don't like Willgoo and wouldn't recommend their shop to anyone because I've been burned, but that's just a whole other level of f*** the customer. It's like hey guys, don't worry you can buy another console that works properly in a few months. Enjoy your defective unit in the meantime and thanks for the 140 bucks.

Post a new topic