Author Topic: GPD XD, new 5 inch device with RK3288 (Rumours)  (Read 58619 times)

Pleng

Re: GPD XD, new 5 inch device with RK3288 (Rumours)
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 09:46:45 am »
I personally agree that a keyboard would  be good addition. I used to have a Pandora and the keyboard was useful for emulation of Amiga, Dosbox etc, but in a device running Android it would be even better. Especially if you could use one of the nubs as a mouse - it could be used as a nifty little portable RDP/TeamViewer machine for providing tech support etc on the go. A 7-inch device, like the JXD Devices, with an on-screen keyboard is too awkward - but without having to worry about soft-input the touch screen could be used solely for panning and zooming the screen, leaving the nub and keyboard for input.

*One day* the Chinese will make a device that I can use for both work AND play... ONE day! :D

Deen0X

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:40 am »
personally, i prefer without keyboard, and with a functional buttons for android usage.

i prefer a good 3x2 button layout for fighting games.

yes, may be writting on this device will be a pain, but i think you will not write so much on it. after all, this is a gaming device, focuss on games (native and emulated)

adding a keyborad only will become more expensive and will not bring real advantages instead a good gaming layout of controls, in my opinion

Melquiades

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 10:50:26 am »
Yes, something like this would be amazing:

But, you know, slightly smaller  :D

2blackbar

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 12:18:51 pm »
too much wasted space for logo above screen and looks bad with small screen and big side boders.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »
No matter what we suggest, they have the mold already built for testing, so they will do as they want. Also, people have so many suggestions that is impossible to satisfy everyone. With that said, I personally don't want something similar to a Pandora.

The main purpose of GPD is make cheap devices, so the more accesories they include, the more expensive will be, so if they add lots of things and device cost 250 or 300 US Dollars, how many people here is going to get one? I personally don't. For a expensive device we all can get a shield.
Retired

logseman

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 03:08:08 pm »
One of the things that got most praise from the G5A was that it sits perfectly in your hand and it's got a fabulous grip. I've never understood how to grab something like a Pandora, where every inch of the surface is covered in inputs.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:21 pm »
One of the things that got most praise from the G5A was that it sits perfectly in your hand and it's got a fabulous grip. I've never understood how to grab something like a Pandora, where every inch of the surface is covered in inputs.

The keys don't come into play at all, they are not active during game play anyway.  Actually the Pandora has the most ergonomic controls layout. The controls up high in one row are the most comfortable position.  On a clamshell, controls that are set in the low position, are typically the most uncomfortable to get to, as your thumbs have to crane low to get them.  The Pandora control layout puts all the controls in the top angled direction your thumbs normally sit at when you hold a controller.  This is particlulary the case for something that's not a standard controller shape like a clamshell.  Try it on a DS XL, imagine the joysticks are low and centered, they would be fricking uncomfortable to get to as your thumbs end up craning to get to the low centered positions.  That's why Pandora put the controls as they are, they were the most ergonomic location.

So keyboard or no keyboard, as far as controls are concerned , I'd rather have a high in line control layout, its far more ergonomic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:03:59 pm by vcoleiro1 »

skelton (OP)

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 10:05:28 pm »
I think it depends on everyone, but I have a Pandora and a g5a and I prefer ergonomy of g5a to be honest. Much confortable to play for me, specially using analogs.
Retired

vcoleiro1

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 10:27:53 pm »
The G5a has long bat handles to grip onto that make it a little easier to get to the controls ie because of the length of the grips , the controls high and low are both still in relatively high positions . Unfortunatley a regular DS like clamshell with short edges doesn't have such long handle grips.  This is a difference that needs to be taken into account when you consider the controls that go on a DS like clamshell.  A fair comparison would be to hypothetically compare having controls in the low centered position on a  DS.  It's this reason they went for the control layout on the Pandora, it's the best layout for a DS style clamshell with short edges and not the long bat handle grips you get on normal controlers
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:51:28 am by vcoleiro1 »

AVahne

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 05:15:38 am »
Shell design was almost completely lifted from the New 3DS XL. The ports and the interior (screen, speakers and gamepad area) seem to be the only things changed. It's not terrible, but it's kinda weird seeing GPD go back to copying normal handhelds for case designs rather than building another new one.
The G5A/G7 cases were...unique, but looked functional and comfortable at least. The Q88/Q9 was really attractive and looked pretty  usable. So why go back to copying? Couldn't they have designed their own clamshell? Personally, I think they're capable of making a clamshell design that is both portable and more comfortable than Nintendo's rectangular design.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:18:10 am by AVahne »

ClawShrimp

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 12:42:40 am »
Personally I'm thrilled to see a DS clone rather than a PSP clone for once.

This to me could be the perfect device.
Proud owner of
Sony Xperia Play - JXD S5110 - JXD S603 - JXD S5100 - JXD S7300 - JXD S7800B - GPD G5A

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

midknight

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 06:46:43 am »
im happy that gpd decided to make another handheld i think the clam shell is a great idea just a bit woried about those sliders though would be great if they find the ones used in the 3ds to put in. wonder what those 2 black things are next to the sliders?

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 09:54:49 am »

logseman

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 11:30:04 am »
im happy that gpd decided to make another handheld i think the clam shell is a great idea just a bit woried about those sliders though would be great if they find the ones used in the 3ds to put in. wonder what those 2 black things are next to the sliders?
My guess is that they're L2-R2 buttons.

midknight

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 03:19:44 am »
My guess is that they're L2-R2 buttons.

why didn't i think of that i was worried that those things were new 3ds nubs.

chevette

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 05:13:22 pm »
This new clamshell design looks great. I have both the GPD G5a + the G58 and think they are great Android gaming devices. I will certainly buy the XD when it comes out.

Melquiades

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:22 pm »
Now that Chinese products seem to have reached an acceptable quality level (for the price, that is), it would be nice if the manufacturers could also improve their relationship with the customer. I know this must be a highly competitive industry were plagiarism is usual andcompanies have to keep their cards hidden, but I think everybody would be interested in more news regarding this XD and the Q9. I am not asking them to have a comunity manager or some crap like that. But some periodic updates of their own website would be most welcomed.

For example, has the Q9 already been released in China? If not, when it is going to be released?    :(

skelton (OP)

Retired

Melquiades

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 10:31:03 am »
Wow! Thanks for the information, I check this last night and it wasn't there  :)

I placed an order, what the heck, I have been looking forward to this console for ages. I will try to put my impressions here, when it arrives.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:45:10 am by Melquiades »

nielo360

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 10:51:41 am »
While I think the design doesnt trump the g7 or g5A  Im excited for the 3ds clamshell design from GPD:) just ordered the Q9 after reading Deen0x'  excellent Q88/Q89 review.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:54:29 am by nielo360 »

Post a new topic