• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD XD charging help needed asap!  (Read 19185 times)

PaulFoster (OP)

Re: GPD XD charging help needed asap!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 11:20:12 pm »
Tried LegacyRom 1.8.  Runs perfectly and wifi issues fixed.  None of the dubious stuff as in the stock roms :-)

could you give me a link to that firmware please?   I don't want to download the wrong thing.

algorithm

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 11:55:31 pm »
Tried LegacyRom 1.8.  Runs perfectly and wifi issues fixed.  None of the dubious stuff as in the stock roms :-)

could you give me a link to that firmware please?   I don't want to download the wrong thing.

here is the thread
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/(rom)-legacyrom-kitkat-for-gpd-xd/

If you dont want your device to heat due to overclocking you can select the 1.4ghz version.  (Although you can always download the 1.8ghz version and change the speed after via a cpu control tool

Bear in mind that unlike the stock version, you will need to configure everything from scratch and download the emulators manually. 

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:30 am »

here is the thread
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/(rom)-legacyrom-kitkat-for-gpd-xd/

If you dont want your device to heat due to overclocking you can select the 1.4ghz version.  (Although you can always download the 1.8ghz version and change the speed after via a cpu control tool

Bear in mind that unlike the stock version, you will need to configure everything from scratch and download the emulators manually.

Thanks for that.  I've just been reading it and heck it seems rather complex.  I'm a little timid of doing it now and I'm not totally new to flashing firmware, I modded me and my friends Wii's without issue.  I'll go and see if I can find a step-by-step guide on youtube or something.

as for the emulators, I use standalone emulators anyway so no problem with that.

algorithm

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 12:11:35 am »
Even if something goes wrong, i think the GPD XD is pretty much unbrickable when using that rockchip tool.  Only issue perhaps may be if you take out the cable while it is writing to the bootloader (if it even does) and bootloader may not be changed anyhow.

When you do that Volume+ and plugging of the USB for the first time, wait till the drivers are loaded (Make sure you install the drivers first - this is in a folder in the legacy roms archive.  You may then have to unplug the usb cable, then hold volume+ and connect the USB again for the green light to be on the GUI of the rockchip tool.

I have tried the 1.8ghz legacy rom and no issues at all (Bear in mind that it only reaches 1.8hz if it has to in high cpu usage emulators etc)

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 12:20:09 am »
Thanks.

I think I'll 'play it safe' and opt for the middle option, 1.6ghz.  :)

Can't find any step-by-step guides on youtube so I will read that page a good 6-7 times before I try to do it.

eragon2890

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:45 am »
Received the GPD today from Droidbox (This time there was no seal) although again the GPD seemed untouched.  Firmware on 3.3.8.  seems to be working quite well so far (Not tried charging it yet.. )   Seems to be an issue with Wi-fi, (although the previous one had similar issues as well).   Connection starts strong, then gets weak after a while and seems to fluctuate between no transfer to low bandwidth until i let it rest for a while and then start downloading again. 

More than likely a firmware issue perhaps...

what charger are you using right now? I have been using a standard samsung 2.0 A charger for 10 months without any issues charging it daily. I can recommend that (the standard, cheap, 2.0 A samsung charger, NOT any other higer amp ones ) if you are now charging it via usb, since that takes forever. On the other hand, it also lasts forever, so it might not be a problem for you.

One thing: I believe this should not happen anymore, but do not turn of the device while it is in the charger. You can charge it in standby, or first turn it off and THEN connect it to the charger after it's off, but putting it in the charger and then turning it off while it is charging and letting it lie for a few hours was a pretty sure way of frying at least the first batch(es) - GPD said so themselves. It should be fixed in hardware long ago, but you never know, so just saying' :)

algorithm

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »
Received the GPD today from Droidbox (This time there was no seal) although again the GPD seemed untouched.  Firmware on 3.3.8.  seems to be working quite well so far (Not tried charging it yet.. )   Seems to be an issue with Wi-fi, (although the previous one had similar issues as well).   Connection starts strong, then gets weak after a while and seems to fluctuate between no transfer to low bandwidth until i let it rest for a while and then start downloading again. 

what charger are you using right now? I have been using a standard samsung 2.0 A charger for 10 months without any issues charging it daily. I can recommend that (the standard, cheap, 2.0 A samsung charger, NOT any other higer amp ones ) if you are now charging it via usb, since that takes forever. On the other hand, it also lasts forever, so it might not be a problem for you.

One thing: I believe this should not happen anymore, but do not turn of the device while it is in the charger. You can charge it in standby, or first turn it off and THEN connect it to the charger after it's off, but putting it in the charger and then turning it off while it is charging and letting it lie for a few hours was a pretty sure way of frying at least the first batch(es) - GPD said so themselves. It should be fixed in hardware long ago, but you never know, so just saying' :)

I recieved the second GPD device yesterday and all is working well so far.  Currently have only charged it via PC USB port and will use a standard non-fast charger if charging it via wall outlet.

Using a fast charger according to various sources on other devices has also destroyed other devices (not just tablets) due to some issue with communication between device and charger (or some fast chargers test resistance and provide the higher voltage).  The main culprit in this case seems to be the Samsing Fast Charger (E.g one that comes with the Galaxy S6) - Do not use this on the GPD XD!!   If you believe this is not true, try it and see the GPD device break.

I am aware of that charging while turning off/on (and will be careful not to accidently do this just incase :-))
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:54:41 pm by algorithm »

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 12:04:44 pm »
I'm wondering if this usb plug is safe to use to charge my xd?

midknight

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 01:00:54 am »

I recieved the second GPD device yesterday and all is working well so far.  Currently have only charged it via PC USB port and will use a standard non-fast charger if charging it via wall outlet.

Using a fast charger according to various sources on other devices has also destroyed other devices (not just tablets) due to some issue with communication between device and charger (or some fast chargers test resistance and provide the higher voltage).  The main culprit in this case seems to be the Samsing Fast Charger (E.g one that comes with the Galaxy S6) - Do not use this on the GPD XD!!   If you believe this is not true, try it and see the GPD device break.

I am aware of that charging while turning off/on (and will be careful not to accidently do this just incase :-))
I'm using one of these on my xd and I'm fine and I have one of the first batches

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

algorithm

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 11:17:14 am »
You are one of the lucky ones I guess :-)  From experience myself, and from a friend as well as some others (via google search :-)), the same Samsung S6 Fast Charger was used and the devices battery circuitry just fried.

midknight

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 04:20:27 am »
i looked up that samsung fast charger definitely don't use that it does change the voltage and will charge at 9v 1.67a  i also noticed that on amazon there are alot of people complaining about fake s6 chargers that catch on fire.  this is what i have been using http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464232272&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+5+port+usb+charger i was misunderstanding what people were saying i kept see every one talk about the amps of the device when it comes to amps your device can only ever pull what it needs but that samsung charger is literally charging at a higher voltage 9 volts over the standard 5v  that would be dangerous for any device that is not built for it.

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 05:06:19 pm »
I'm wondering if this usb plug is safe to use to charge my xd?

Can I have a clear "yes" or "no".  is that plug safe to charge my gpd xd?

algorithm

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 06:33:24 pm »
Yes, that should be fine.  5v  and 2a  (2.1a is usually the default for these type of chargers)

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »
Yes, that should be fine.  5v  and 2a  (2.1a is usually the default for these type of chargers)

I thought so but wanted to be 100% sure.  Thank you!

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 01:25:12 pm »
Until now my xd is working fine, the only issue i've seen so far is related to the charger, which is worrying me. A few people said that it would be safer to use the samsung charger, but according to other people here this charger will eventually harm the battery because of the fast charge. Is there any kind of last word regarding this issue? The original charger is really bad to the xd? The samsung chargers is a worst solution to it?

sirp0p0

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2016, 08:36:03 pm »
Until now my xd is working fine, the only issue i've seen so far is related to the charger, which is worrying me. A few people said that it would be safer to use the samsung charger, but according to other people here this charger will eventually harm the battery because of the fast charge. Is there any kind of last word regarding this issue? The original charger is really bad to the xd? The samsung chargers is a worst solution to it?

Any standard charger should be fine as long as it comes from a trusted reseller. Anker, Aukey, Samsung, etc... are good bets. As long as the charger says "5v" on it you be fine. the mAh rating is recommended to be at about 1A but you can use anything higher or lower. The power supply will limit any higher current, and lower currents will just take longer to charge.

I do not recommend anything unbranded from China including the ones you received with the console. They tend to use substandard parts or poor designs.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2016, 10:48:47 pm »

Any standard charger should be fine as long as it comes from a trusted reseller. Anker, Aukey, Samsung, etc... are good bets. As long as the charger says "5v" on it you be fine. the mAh rating is recommended to be at about 1A but you can use anything higher or lower. The power supply will limit any higher current, and lower currents will just take longer to charge.

I do not recommend anything unbranded from China including the ones you received with the console. They tend to use substandard parts or poor designs.

I found a aukey charger, but just like the samsung they are fast chargers. Should i avoid then since they could harm the battery or this won't be a problem?

sirp0p0

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 12:36:48 am »

I found a aukey charger, but just like the samsung they are fast chargers. Should i avoid then since they could harm the battery or this won't be a problem?

They'll probably fry the power supply before the battery and your device will be dead.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 01:06:05 am »

They'll probably fry the power supply before the battery and your device will be dead.

Thanks for the answer. Would you mind recommending a few models so i could search for them outside Amazon?

piplink

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 12:27:48 am »

Will this charger work. Its an offical samsung one that came with my j7. Im just really paranoid about breaking my gpd.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic