• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: GPD XD charging help needed asap!  (Read 19298 times)

PaulFoster (OP)

GPD XD charging help needed asap!
« on: May 18, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »
Hiya,

My gpd xd charger just fried (luckily the device wasn't plugged into it at the time) and I need to know how to charge it safely??

I've been reading lots of sites but they seem to conflict, some say you can charge from usb2 or 3 some say no usb at all and some even say using usb3 or a ipad usb charger will kill your gpdxd!!!!!

What is correct, what do I believe?  how do I charge my device safely?

consoleman

Re: GPD XD charging help needed asap!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »
I charge it with many chargers, no problem at all.
Chargers work from iPad, iPhone, Chuwi HI12 tablet and several power banks.... It even charges faster with a Qualcomm certified fast charger from blitzwolf.

CommanderKitler

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 03:46:48 pm »
you can charge the device with most phone chargers. the GPD XD's charger has 5volts / 2.5 ampere. All of the phone and tablet chargers use 5 volts but they range in amps so 2.5 amps (2500 milliampere) or lower will work. the output volts/amps are usually written on the charger itself.

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »
you can charge the device with most phone chargers. the GPD XD's charger has 5volts / 2.5 ampere. All of the phone and tablet chargers use 5 volts but they range in amps so 2.5 amps (2500 milliampere) or lower will work. the output volts/amps are usually written on the charger itself.

Amusingly I don't have a mobile phone (mainly down to the fact you can't seem to buy one without a damn camera on it)

how much voltage do usb2 and usb3 sockets output?  can I safely charge it from my PC?

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:37 pm »
I charge it with many chargers, no problem at all.
Chargers work from iPad, iPhone, Chuwi HI12 tablet and several power banks.... It even charges faster with a Qualcomm certified fast charger from blitzwolf.

okay thanks.. so a lot of what I've been reading is pure lies or stupidity then.  thank you

algorithm

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:50:19 pm »
Be careful in what charger you use..  Unlike most other devices, the GPD seems to have flaws in its charging circuitry/protection.  A few people have fried their GPD because they were using the Samsung "Fast Charger"

CommanderKitler

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:40:55 pm »
Be careful in what charger you use..  Unlike most other devices, the GPD seems to have flaws in its charging circuitry/protection.  A few people have fried their GPD because they were using the Samsung "Fast Charger"

yup fast chargers are not the greatest idea but standard usb chargers with up to 2.5 amps will do fine. higher amp chargers will make the battery charge faster but have a detrimental impact on battery life. A very high current can even damage devices missing a good charging protection.

Amusingly I don't have a mobile phone (mainly down to the fact you can't seem to buy one without a damn camera on it)

how much voltage do usb2 and usb3 sockets output?  can I safely charge it from my PC?

Of course you can charge it from your PC's usb ports but this will take REALLY long (the max power output on a USB2.0 port is 900mA or 0.9 Ampere)

Just get a generic usb charger with 2amps or 2.5 amps output and it should work fine.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:43:15 pm by CommanderKitler »

sirp0p0

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:41 pm »
Of course you can charge it from your PC's usb ports but this will take REALLY long (the max power output on a USB2.0 port is 900mA or 0.9 Ampere)

Actually I think USB 2.0 is rated @500mA and USB 3.0 @900mA from a PC. Which is why when the iPad came out they didn't like charging from a standard USB port.

I have a 2.5A charger I use for my Q9 and while the battery seems weaker now that's probably related more to the heavy use and not the charger. A 1-1.5A charger might be better for these batteries.

CommanderKitler

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:12:21 am »

Actually I think USB 2.0 is rated @500mA and USB 3.0 @900mA from a PC. Which is why when the iPad came out they didn't like charging from a standard USB port.

I have a 2.5A charger I use for my Q9 and while the battery seems weaker now that's probably related more to the heavy use and not the charger. A 1-1.5A charger might be better for these batteries.

You're right usb 2.0 has a max power output of 500mA . USB 3.0 has 900mA.
Made a typo. my bad.

Either way charging from a usb port is really slow. Power output is so low that many devices do not charge at all (or appear to be charging but draining the battery faster than it's charging.)

midknight

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:45:45 am »
There is quite a bit of misinformation going on with USB chargers but here is some simple things to keep in mind.
1. Devices are only going to pull up to what they are rated for if a device pulls a max of 1.5 amps AMD you plug it into a 2.4 it's not going to pull 2.4 and burn out.
2. If your device dose not support fast charge it will not use fast charge.
3. The quality of your charger is important some chargers from China don't meet regulations and can be wired wrong and cause harm to your devices.
4.don't leave your devices constantly plugged in this will degrade the battery life.
5. USB cables can affect how your devices charge.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

eragon2890

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:24 am »
There is quite a bit of misinformation going on with USB chargers but here is some simple things to keep in mind.
1. Devices are only going to pull up to what they are rated for if a device pulls a max of 1.5 amps AMD you plug it into a 2.4 it's not going to pull 2.4 and burn out.
3. The quality of your charger is important some chargers from China don't meet regulations and can be wired wrong and cause harm to your devices.
4.don't leave your devices constantly plugged in this will degrade the battery life.

As for point 4, more importantly, they can also cause harm to the only thing I like more then my GPD XD, namely my life and my house. You know, when they burn and explode and such~

And yes, that included the piece-of-trash-made-for-the-landfill-shitheap "charger" they supply with the GPD XD. Bin in. If you don't want to ruin your device and MAYBE burn your house down, possibly with all it's inhabitants.

algorithm

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 08:38:24 pm »

For No 2. that depends on the hardware that the charger is connected to.  Usually (hopefully) it will only pull in what is required and pull more if required (supported).   With the GPD XD, there seems to be some issue with the pulling of the extra power.   

Various people have reported the same issue of the device battery circuitry malfunctioning (brick, no charge) when a fast charger is used.   

algorithm

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 04:59:41 am »
Just ordered another GPD XD (Droidbox Playon) rebranded one for ?135.  Just hope that this one does not break down as the other one did and that the seal is intact this time. (or perhaps droidbox open the seal and remove the GPD branding from the device and put it back in?  (as the box is the same as the original GPD XD)

eragon2890

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 09:23:38 am »
Just ordered another GPD XD (Droidbox Playon) rebranded one for ?135.  Just hope that this one does not break down as the other one did and that the seal is intact this time. (or perhaps droidbox open the seal and remove the GPD branding from the device and put it back in?  (as the box is the same as the original GPD XD)

Umh, just a question but, on their website I see one other person in the review who first got a broken one, had it replaced and was quite happy. If it breaks that quickly, they should just replace it for free right? Why buy another one?

algorithm

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 11:58:01 am »

Umh, just a question but, on their website I see one other person in the review who first got a broken one, had it replaced and was quite happy. If it breaks that quickly, they should just replace it for free right? Why buy another one?

Indeed i got a refund (From Amazon) and sent the broken device back already.

Could not really find an alternative handheld as good as this GPD XD (and i was impatient and wanted next day delivery) hence ordered from that same place again.   (Will just make sure that i do not use that charger supplied or any fast charger - (which does destroy the gpd - try it :-||)  Will probably use the USB on the PC to charge it - will be slower, but better to be safe i guess.

PaulFoster (OP)

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 02:20:39 pm »

A friend saw mine and ordered one that night, anyway it arrived yesterday and he's not sure whether to use it or send it back.  same problem, the seal on the box is broken so you don't know if its a used one or whatever.   I told him to return it but he's thinking it over.

eragon2890

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 02:24:03 pm »

A friend saw mine and ordered one that night, anyway it arrived yesterday and he's not sure whether to use it or send it back.  same problem, the seal on the box is broken so you don't know if its a used one or whatever.   I told him to return it but he's thinking it over.

If it works fine I would keep it, I assume they test whether they work before sending them to costumers, which explains ti and is something you WANT. :)

Geekbuying and willgoo do that too AFAIK. And going by the reviews they do have a real money-back-guarantee if it doesn't work. If it works, I say keep it. YOu might get a DOA otherwise, never know :)

algorithm

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »

Did he get it from Droidbox as well (Marketed as the PlayOn)?    When i recieved my first one, the seal was broken, however when taking the device out from its bag, it looked immaculate (no fingerprints etc)

When it broke down after charging, i simply requested refund via amazon (who did refund me) and sent the device back.

Ordered from the same place again (Cheaper by ?40 and same day delivery via amazon) Should recieve another one this evening.   Will report back if the seal is open again.

If there are any issues again with this, i will contact the seller directly (and request a refund via amazon again)

algorithm

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 07:26:36 pm »
Received the GPD today from Droidbox (This time there was no seal) although again the GPD seemed untouched.  Firmware on 3.3.8.  seems to be working quite well so far (Not tried charging it yet.. )   Seems to be an issue with Wi-fi, (although the previous one had similar issues as well).   Connection starts strong, then gets weak after a while and seems to fluctuate between no transfer to low bandwidth until i let it rest for a while and then start downloading again. 

More than likely a firmware issue perhaps...

algorithm

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:50:47 pm »
Tried LegacyRom 1.8.  Runs perfectly and wifi issues fixed.  None of the dubious stuff as in the stock roms :-)

Post a new topic