Author Topic: GPD XD 1 Shoulder Buttons  (Read 246 times)

Smoker1 (OP)

GPD XD 1 Shoulder Buttons
« on: November 04, 2018, 11:10:19 pm »
Anyone know where I could get replacement Button Assemblies? The Ribbon Cable for L1/2 is damaged. Part of the Ribbon where the Cable meets the slide in Connector to go in the Socket is cut. So L1 no longer works. L2 works just fine though. If a XD+ Shoulder Button Assembly is the same, I'll go for that.

MJPIA

Re: GPD XD 1 Shoulder Buttons
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:23:41 am »
If you buy the shoulder microswitches for the XD from GPD it does not come pre-soldered on the assembly as I found out when I ordered a bunch of them a while back.
You have to buy them separately and solder them on yourself.
I just got 15 sets of the shoulder button ribbon cables from GPD on Friday I'll be listing soon on my store although if you aren't in the US it'd probably be cheaper to ask GPD to sell you them instead.
XD+ does use the same ribbon cable at least.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:27:02 am by MJPIA »

Smoker1 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 05:23:02 am »
If only I could Like Post. Am in California, so will be fine. Will you be Soldering them together, or will it be for the Users to do?

MJPIA

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 12:05:27 am »
I don't know.

I only have 5 sets of shoulder switches but not the springs or the actual buttons, the ribbon cable is cross compatible between the XD and XD+ but I don't know about the shoulder buttons themselves, don't know how much time it would take to solder them myself nor what I would charge for soldered assemblies as I try to keep prices low but don't want to undercharge either.
I also don't know when I'll have time to solder them.
I'll probably list some of the ribbon cables for now and do the 5 modules later once I put them together and decide on a price.

Smoker1 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 11:33:14 pm »
If I am correct, the Ribbon Cable just needs to be properly Glued to the Board or secured to it someway. In which case, I would only need that.
From what I can see, there is a Tab that holds it in place right at that area. But if it helps, I dont mind getting a Set for it. Least it will give me a backup Cable, and just in case, replacement Boards.

MJPIA

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »

For those of you who wanna DIY I'd suggest using low temp solder and a reflow station or soldering gun with temp controls to avoid the risk of damaging the cable.
Also use a multimeter with a continuity tester to make sure none of the leads are bridged by solder, if that happens it will act like that shoulder button is held down.
Not too hard to do but you have to make sure the ribbon cable is lined up with the pads as a little twist will bridge them, I had to rework several because of this.

I do have both the bare ribbon cables:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=312308145600&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111
And the assembeled shoulder switches.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=312308137365&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111
I tested all the ones I soldered and am fairly certain they are all good but if a issue with my soldering job happened I will stand behind my parts and make it right.
The bare cables alone are a bit pricy for what they are so I'll probably add some discounts later tonight when I get home for people who want to buy both the shoulder ribbon cables and lcd ribbon cable together.

Smoker1 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »
Just Ordered both. Much thanks for your hard work for the Assembly. Also from what I observed, it *might* need extra effort swapping the Switches/Ribbon. Will let you know how it goes. Have a great Weekend.

MJPIA

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 04:38:31 am »
It'll go out tomorrow morning.
Everything should've had free shipping but I messed up the listing for the bare ribbon cables so I sent a refund for the shipping and adjusted my listing.
Biggest thing is making sure the shoulder button springs don't fly off somewhere as what happened to me once because finding those can be difficult depending on your floor color.
Also don't overtighten the retaining plate screw that holds the shoulder switches in place as that's a course thread screw going into the case plastic and if you crank down on it the screw can strip the mount.

Smoker1 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:13 am »
Will do. I just tighten them enough to make sure it is snug. Says Estimated to get here Tuesday, so that is good. Will have it opened up and ready.

Edit: @MJPIA - Works PERFECTLY. Little pain getting the Spring in place at times, but other than that, everything is back to how it should be. Thinking I might have to get 1 more Order just in case. If they work for the XD+ , might need them with the Mod I will do to it once I can get it. Will replace the Joysticks and the DPad with the Vita types
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:27:54 am by Smoker1 »

Post a new topic