Author Topic: GPD Q9 Video Review Emulation Android tests.Benchmarks & Tegra 4 comparison!  (Read 64976 times)

CrazyIvan

Add a piece of thin plastic between case and nubs, et voila, smooth moving nubs. :D Or at least a lot smoother. To improve further, apply rubber circles for ring enlargement, and happy gaming :D
The friction persists even if i remove a nub with PCB from a case and it's on the same level as Gamepad2 so if you haven't used really good nubs like on pandora it must feel good enough for you.

e114

Lol,,,as i know that the Q9 is the updated by Q88+,it is good play so much.i love it..

skelton

I got a device yesterday (courtesy of GPD, thanks guys). And I want to comment several aspects that I have noticed.

- Device is pretty similar to q89. Performance in emulators is pretty much the same, except for a couple of things. Some PSP games run better and Broglia's emus can be used with hq2x filter without issues, something that was not possible with RK3188.
- Performance in GPU is very good, a bit worse than my phone but fast enough to run games without issues.

Now, in terms of firmwares, I want to clear some points. I have tested 1.07 firmware, and although kernel is set up to 1,8 ghz, the true speed as I thought is 1,6 ghz. That is normal in RK3288, so no a big deal. However, that changes in firmware 1.1.2, which was the one installed in my device. In 1.1.2 CPU max speed is marked as 1,6 ghz, but indeed max speed is 1,416, so device is underclocked. My guess is that GPD did that to avoid some heat and probably because the board have some issues running at max voltage during some time, probably due to the lack a good heatsink (or no heatsink at all).
Apart from that, firmware is very stable and no problems so far. Even at 1,416 ghz everything I tried in terms of emulation runs ok, and honestly even at 1,8 ghz wouldn't make a big difference except for a better antutu benchmarks from my experience with my RK3288 tv box.

But in the end, my point is that there is no single firmware in which the system runs at "true" 1,8 ghz speed, not even the 1.07 one.
Retired

nielo360 (OP)

I got a device yesterday (courtesy of GPD, thanks guys). And I want to comment several aspects that I have noticed.

- Device is pretty similar to q89. Performance in emulators is pretty much the same, except for a couple of things. Some PSP games run better and Broglia's emus can be used with hq2x filter without issues, something that was not possible with RK3188.
- Performance in GPU is very good, a bit worse than my phone but fast enough to run games without issues.

Now, in terms of firmwares, I want to clear some points. I have tested 1.07 firmware, and although kernel is set up to 1,8 ghz, the true speed as I thought is 1,6 ghz. That is normal in RK3288, so no a big deal. However, that changes in firmware 1.1.2, which was the one installed in my device. In 1.1.2 CPU max speed is marked as 1,6 ghz, but indeed max speed is 1,416, so device is underclocked. My guess is that GPD did that to avoid some heat and probably because the board have some issues running at max voltage during some time, probably due to the lack a good heatsink (or no heatsink at all).
Apart from that, firmware is very stable and no problems so far. Even at 1,416 ghz everything I tried in terms of emulation runs ok, and honestly even at 1,8 ghz wouldn't make a big difference except for a better antutu benchmarks from my experience with my RK3288 tv box.

But in the end, my point is that there is no single firmware in which the system runs at "true" 1,8 ghz speed, not even the 1.07 one.

Interesting note on the the firmware cpu caps, I have been satisfied with the 1.7 firmware however the original firmware this device came with had major heating issues. Im trying to get the iplay 7 review done (working out some odd bugs)so far I think apart from the 56hz screen the iplay is the best 7inch handheld console iv ever used and in many aspects beats the Q9 and GPD G7..unfortunately there are a few minor firmware bugs holding it back.

skelton

Well, the iplay is much more expensive, so it's normal it's better I guess. Though for an "emulator" guy like me, a 56 hz screen is clearly a big fail.

I still prefer my combo of my phone plus Moga controller in any case. 7 inch devices are too uncomfortable for me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 05:09:29 pm by skelton »
Retired

wrc1010

Does GPD Q9 come with rooted because i like to able to move most of the game to sd card?

skelton

Yes, it's rooted
Retired

wrc1010

Yes, it's rooted

Does this GPD Q9 performance is better then JXD S7800B?

skelton

Yes, it's rooted

Yes, it's a RK3288 which is a better CPU than the RK3188 of 7800
Retired

wrc1010

Yes, it's rooted

Yes, it's a RK3288 which is a better CPU than the RK3188 of 7800

Will GPD Q9 can play almost any android and emulator game because it still new and JXD S7800B have been a while in the market and i do some research and it look like it have no problem to play almost any android and emulator game?

skelton

For emulators are pretty much the same, for android games is better the q9 because ir performs better in games.
Retired

wrc1010

For emulators are pretty much the same, for android games is better the q9 because ir performs better in games.

How about analog joystick from GPD Q9 and JXD S7800B, which one is better because from what i look is that JXD S7800B analog joystick is more comfortable to use it but dont know whether it is fine for most of the game or not?

After some online research, so far i see only GPD Q9 and JXD S7800B is the best 7 inch gamepad to buy but dont know which one to go for it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:16:48 pm by wrc1010 »

skelton

Analog in both are pretty bad, slightly better in 7800 but far from good in my opinion.
Retired

wrc1010

Analog in both are pretty bad, slightly better in 7800 but far from good in my opinion.

Do you think should i get JXD 7800B because it is enough to play almost all the android and emulator games with their anolog joystick is more better then GPD Q9?

skelton

It's up to you. For android games the mali400 of the 7800 is pretty old, so don't expect to run future titles at good speed. 7800 is also abandonned in terms of firmware support.

I personally prefer q9 because if their dpad, but I mostly play emulators, I never play android games.
Retired

skelton

Some more digging I have made these days. I got access to latest RK3288 SDK. My suspects were certain, device in latest firmwares is limited to 1,4 ghz (it marks 1,6 ghz but that frequency is never used). DDR Speed is 400 mhz and GPU is 500 mhz. Talking with a GPD engineer they tell me the main reason is the heat. Device has not a good heatsink, so the "workaround" they made to avoid is basically to underclock the device, because some devices can suffer some instability even at 1,6 ghz. Even the system reaches a certain temperature, device speed is automatically lowered. I guess this what happened with nielo360 when he got his device. He suffered some CPU throttling due to temp.

I personally have tested kernel at 1,6 ghz and run without problems in my device. However, true 1,8 ghz is practically impossible to handle in this device. Device is not stable in my testings because I have to increase voltage to 1.4V to make it stable, but means device temp go high very soon and CPU Throttling and crashes are frequent. So I am afraid that 1,6 ghz is the max for this device. And probably the reason why Rockchip limits CPU to 1,6 in tablets. In tvboxes is different because of good heatsinks, but in a tablel 1,8 ghz is impossible to reach it.

With that said, I am using my device with the 1,4 ghz limitation and for me it's fine.  Emus run good and the Android games that I have tried run without issues, so probably that speed is enough.
Retired

nielo360 (OP)

Some more digging I have made these days. I got access to latest RK3288 SDK. My suspects were certain, device in latest firmwares is limited to 1,4 ghz (it marks 1,6 ghz but that frequency is never used). DDR Speed is 400 mhz and GPU is 500 mhz. Talking with a GPD engineer they tell me the main reason is the heat. Device has not a good heatsink, so the "workaround" they made to avoid is basically to underclock the device, because some devices can suffer some instability even at 1,6 ghz. Even the system reaches a certain temperature, device speed is automatically lowered. I guess this what happened with nielo360 when he got his device. He suffered some CPU throttling due to temp.

I personally have tested kernel at 1,6 ghz and run without problems in my device. However, true 1,8 ghz is practically impossible to handle in this device. Device is not stable in my testings because I have to increase voltage to 1.4V to make it stable, but means device temp go high very soon and CPU Throttling and crashes are frequent. So I am afraid that 1,6 ghz is the max for this device. And probably the reason why Rockchip limits CPU to 1,6 in tablets. In tvboxes is different because of good heatsinks, but in a tablel 1,8 ghz is impossible to reach it.

With that said, I am using my device with the 1,4 ghz limitation and for me it's fine.  Emus run good and the Android games that I have tried run without issues, so probably that speed is enough.

I hope this wont be repeated in upcoming gpd devices, it sort of defeats the purpose of a new soc. Granted they are pricing these things very competitively the challenge would be getting the right balance. Thank you for the research into this I shall pin it up top.

skelton

I think it's more Rockchip fault than GPD, because the limitation is incluced in Rockchip SDK, so it comes like this in all RK3288 tablets. The RK3288 is mainly designed for TVboxes, so probably the limitation to 1.6 ghz makes sense. In a Tvbox is easy to add a heatsink and there are less components than produce heat, like a battery, but in a tablet is a bit more complicated I guess. Difference in performance is minimal though. My tvbox runs at 2.0 with GPU also overclocked but in practical terms games run as good in Q9 than in my tvbox.
Retired

eragon2890

I hope this wont be repeated in upcoming gpd devices, it sort of defeats the purpose of a new soc. Granted they are pricing these things very competitively the challenge would be getting the right balance. Thank you for the research into this I shall pin it up top.

It doesn't defeat the purpose if gpu-intensive games still run at three or more times higher fps... And three times higher is very essimistic it's usually more between mali t764 and ancient mali400...

PlasmaStar

Can somebody seriously, please, setup a mirror or give me directions on how to download FirmWares for this thing. pan.baidu doesn't exactly cater to English, and it looks like some of the links to it (from other threads/here) have gone dead.

Edit: :D I found a copy of 1.1.3 here http://pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=389368662&shareid=3934853794
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:34:01 am by PlasmaStar »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic