Author Topic: GPD Q9 Video Review Emulation Android tests.Benchmarks & Tegra 4 comparison!  (Read 64977 times)

skelton

Or perhaps GPD decided to underclock it even more. Since the kernel always reports 1,8 ghz in RK3288, who knows the true speed is in that firmware. Since source code is not available, I cannot tell for sure though,
Retired

RR91

Antutu is good for an indication, but it?s not an exact measurement tool, running heavy games like walking dead season 2, asphalt 8, gt racing 2, riptide gp2, nova 3, dead trigger 2, expendables rearmed etc. gives you a much better indication of performance. IS the framerate lower then 60 on the new firmware?

Antutu could just have had an update and changed something about the benchmark or something. Or it could be something with the firmware. Which might or might not make other apps slower -- I know on my archos gamepad 2 I got a 2500 (20500 instead of 18000) point increase in antutu score when I put the CPU governor from ondemand to performance. People say the new firmware runs less hot because ?cpu clocks are managed better? - could be it?s a bit slower to ramp up which would explain the difference but should not have any influence in games (unless you like to play in , say, 20 second bursts. :3 )

I dont know for Asphalt 8 this game dosent work for me :/ its black screen whith just number of car appears IG. Menu work but after not.
Same whith castle of illusion black screen in game :o

Its wonderfull on Batman Mortal Kombat X Modern Combat 5.
How know the framerate ? its an apk ? tell me and i test it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:32:28 pm by RR91 »

eragon2890

Antutu is good for an indication, but it?s not an exact measurement tool, running heavy games like walking dead season 2, asphalt 8, gt racing 2, riptide gp2, nova 3, dead trigger 2, expendables rearmed etc. gives you a much better indication of performance. IS the framerate lower then 60 on the new firmware?

Antutu could just have had an update and changed something about the benchmark or something. Or it could be something with the firmware. Which might or might not make other apps slower -- I know on my archos gamepad 2 I got a 2500 (20500 instead of 18000) point increase in antutu score when I put the CPU governor from ondemand to performance. People say the new firmware runs less hot because ?cpu clocks are managed better? - could be it?s a bit slower to ramp up which would explain the difference but should not have any influence in games (unless you like to play in , say, 20 second bursts. :3 )

I dont know for Asphalt 8 this game dosent work for me :/ its black screen whith just number of car appears IG. Menu work but after not.

I love playing asphalt 8 on this, have played for hours no problems and it suppports the controllers. Your black screen problem does occur but can be fixed in two very easy ways:

1) just put the graphics on ?low? in the settings menu. Problem fixed (on all devices with mali-t760 or at least ALL r3288 devices you get black screen if graphics > low).

2) install gltools (free) from google play , enable custom settings for asphalt 8, and use the tegra 4 preset. Ta-ta-tadada! You now have working graphics on any quality. :D

Both options work fine, and I recommend asphalt 8, it's free and totes fun :D

Also there was a root-only fpsmeter app on the play store, but it?s been ausradiert apparently, can?t find it anymore :-( so the measuring instrument is ?ma good? olde thumb? -- I have been playing games for 10+ years so I now it?s a constant 60fps :)

Oh which batman game? Wasn?t there some sort of cool openworld batman game? Might have to check that out XD

RR91

I love playing asphalt 8 on this, have played for hours no problems and it suppports the controllers. Your black screen problem does occur but can be fixed in two very easy ways:

1) just put the graphics on ?low? in the settings menu. Problem fixed (on all devices with mali-t760 or at least ALL r3288 devices you get black screen if graphics > low).

2) install gltools (free) from google play , enable custom settings for asphalt 8, and use the tegra 4 preset. Ta-ta-tadada! You now have working graphics on any quality. :D

Both options work fine, and I recommend asphalt 8, it's free and totes fun :D

Also there was a root-only fpsmeter app on the play store, but it?s been ausradiert apparently, can?t find it anymore :-( so the measuring instrument is ?ma good? olde thumb? -- I have been playing games for 10+ years so I now it?s a constant 60fps :)

Oh which batman game? Wasn?t there some sort of cool openworld batman game? Might have to check that out XD

Ho really !? i dl and test in few minutes .
its the last, Batman The Dark Knight Rises  ;)

And for mickey Castle of illusion your app work to ?

RR91

http://onhax.net/gltools/

ok i use last version its work perfectly !
For mickey its the game but i dondt understand how to resolve i just found this https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/600327/3d-vision/castle-of-illusion-looks-amazing-but-/1/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:39:33 pm by RR91 »

e114

You have to keep going, I will always support you. :)

skelton

I have been talking with a GPD dev. He has confirmed that from firmware v.1.1.1 CPU "true speed" is 1,6 ghz. The reason is to reduce heat basically, and they also have reduced voltage level. Performance should be slightly worse, but temperatures and battery life should be a bit better I guess with reduced voltages.
Retired

eragon2890

Can i haz download link for english version of that firmware?

And again, does it delete my files?

skelton

This is the directory:

http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=389368662#category/type=0

It seems last firmware is v.1.1.3.

If you update via BatchTool from PC you will lose your userdata for sure, so make a backup with Titanium or similar app if you decide to try.
Retired

RR91

I have been talking with a GPD dev. He has confirmed that from firmware v.1.1.1 CPU "true speed" is 1,6 ghz. The reason is to reduce heat basically, and they also have reduced voltage level. Performance should be slightly worse, but temperatures and battery life should be a bit better I guess with reduced voltages.

Ok thats the reason abtutu are better in 1.0.7. But thats true the battery are not hot now ( im in 1.1.1 english )

I look ans use google traduction and i have 2 result = Chineese verison (Q9 V1.1.3 中文版本 量产固件.zip)  and French version (Q9 V1.1.3 英文版本.zip )

link for the 1.1.1 english --> Firmware 1.1.1 English version lien officiel (Antutu 33600)

If someone go in 1.1.3 tell me antutu score plz and whats change thx  ;)

skelton

You shouldn't trust too much in Antutu to determine if a firmware is good or not. Specially because Antutu is not very precise and can be easily cheated. If games and apps run fine and system is stable there shouldn't be anything to worry about in my opinion. For example my phone is about 45000 in antutu, but in "real life" it runs games or emulators pretty much the same than my RK3288 or amlogic s802 tvboxes.
Retired

eragon2890

This is the directory:

http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=389368662#category/type=0

It seems last firmware is v.1.1.3.

If you update via BatchTool from PC you will lose your userdata for sure, so make a backup with Titanium or similar app if you decide to try.

But do i also lose data if i put image in root folder and reboot tablet, or is this not known?

skelton

Probably not, but I don't recommend the method of using microSd to update, because a minor change in partitions size and you'll have a good semibricked device. If there are no changes then using microSD should be enough.
BatchTool is always recommended when flashing a Rockchip device.
Retired

eragon2890

Someone has already done it succesfully tough. But what do you mean semibrickee?,why is it a problem? The file system contents and directory structure don't change right?

skelton

Rockchip firmware contain a parameter file that determine partition sizes. In an upgrade from sdcard if the parameter file is different and partitions sizes are different, system won't boot, because when you upgrade from microSd in Rockchip the partitions are not fully formatted, so any change in size can provoke that system won't boot because new size of partitions are not adjusted. If someone has updated this way and has got success, then it's because partition size is the same in all firmwares.
But anyhow. When upgradng Rockchip firmwares in IMG (this is a full firmware and not a OTA), using the PC is the most recommended. Updating using microSD is only recommended for an OTA update.

Retired

eragon2890

Allridevic fgt thanks for the explanation! But then i just want to limit the cpu frequency to 1.4 or 1.6 max to increase lifespan of the device because this won't have any impact on (3d) game performance anyway., i read here nofrill cpu controls doesn't work with q9, are there any which do? That should have some effect as installing the new firmware right? :-)

skelton

There are many apps to control CPU. I use setcpu in my RK3288 Tv box. There are also other apps Trickster MOD or 3c CPU Manager or example.
Retired

RR91

Someone has already done it succesfully tough. But what do you mean semibrickee?,why is it a problem? The file system contents and directory structure don't change right?

yes --> http://www.open-consoles.com/t8677-mise-a-jour-firmware-q9
Grandsion do this use google translate.

He go to the 1.0.8 and come back to the 1.0.7 international. He are afraid because a lot of time the started screen are blocked but its fine at the end. Its risquy i think.
Personaly i use the Batchtool and it works good 1 std time for the 1.1.1

The last upgrade are just the country located i think French and Chinese because 1.1.1 are international. use my tuto bro  ;)

All game run really good and the battery during are awesome  8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:19:20 pm by RR91 »

CrazyIvan

My opinion on this device.
It's mostly an upgrade compared to GamePad2 except screen size (this screen is 16:9 and GamePad2 have 16:10) but the system bar can hide so it's not a big problem (although some games like Chaos Rings don't render into the lower part of the screen where the system bar resides even when it's hidden). Screen is dimmer but minimum brightness is also lower (GamePad 2's minimum brightness was too much for me for gaming in poorly lit rooms). Also the screen is readable under direct sunlight (you can't play dark games of course but otherwise it's ok provided the screen is clean).
Buttons are great, D-pad is also great - one of the best in a mobile device let alone a 7'' psp-style device. Nubs are basically the same as in both GamePads, the basic problem is friction between the moving part of a nub and its case. It seems like nothing can be done about it. They get better over time but they would never be good (there are good nubs but chinese companies don't seem to bother searching for good ones and you can't expect it from them given the price).
Speakers are actually good. Build quality is also good, internal structure is clean (similar to GamePad2 and unlike GamePad for example).
As for software, the default launcher somehow interferes with a task manager so some games don't show in the window list (some do) but another option called Launcher3 works as it should. Also there was a problem installing some games when external sd card was the default (also a lot of games refuse to install when internal sd size is zero). Because i like to install a lot of games and programs on my device i just made internal sd the new data partition and external sd the new internal sd via boot.img modification (rkflashkit works good but unfortunately can't read @user partition (there is no such partition on the partition list fore some reason).

eragon2890

Add a piece of thin plastic between case and nubs, et voila, smooth moving nubs. :D Or at least a lot smoother. To improve further, apply rubber circles for ring enlargement, and happy gaming :D

Post a new topic