Author Topic: GPD G7 Problems - UPDATE - Can Boot Now  (Read 7924 times)

StevenP (OP)

GPD G7 Problems - UPDATE - Can Boot Now
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:39:45 am »
So I got the GPD G7 in today that I ordered from Geekbuying. I tested it for around 30 minutes but the WIFI kept disconnecting making it very difficult to download anything (and every other WIFI device of mine works fine.) I thought the latest firmware update for this might help so I downloaded it and put it on a microSD card. It started installing but shut down part way through (it had plenty of batteries left) and now it's pretty much dead. The power light shows but it won't boot and I can't get to the system restore. I am very disappointment.

Any ideas what I can do?

UPDATE: I have it booting now. If I can get the analog nubs fixed I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:01:28 pm by StevenP »
Handhelds: 3DS XL, GBA SP, PSP, GP2X Wiz, JXD 7100B, JXD100, Various other handhelds that include emulators and built-in games (their generic names escape me at this moment but some are actually cool.)
Tablets: Nook HD+, Entourage Edge
Consoles: XBOX 360, XBOX original, PS3, Wii, N64, 3DO, GameCube.

MOFO

Re: GPD G7 Piece of Junk
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:50:09 am »
Can you return it for a new G7?

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:18 am »
I'll contact Geekbuying but first I wanted to check to see if someone knew a fix.
Handhelds: 3DS XL, GBA SP, PSP, GP2X Wiz, JXD 7100B, JXD100, Various other handhelds that include emulators and built-in games (their generic names escape me at this moment but some are actually cool.)

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:59:41 am »
Any ideas what I can do?
Stop the panic. I was in same situation, but was able to re-flash it via USB.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-g5ag7-android-4-2-os-update/

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 03:03:20 am »
Any ideas what I can do?
Stop the panic. I was in same situation, but was able to re-flash it via USB.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-g5ag7-android-4-2-os-update/

I tried that but it won't connect anymore.

I am hoping it has something to do with bad battery calibration and that the battery is just plain old dead (and the percentage full was a misreading.) I'll leave it charging for awhile before I give it another try.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:05:06 am by StevenP »

Drem

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:13:11 am »
Are you sure you powered it off before plugging USB-cable and then turned it on with Power & Vol+? I had few attempts to connect it to PC before I realized that console is still "on".

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:00 am »
I'm pretty sure it's off before I connect and start it up. I am still trying but no luck yet.

Drem

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:13:07 am »
How about RK drivers? Maybe you should re-install them... Is there no reaction from PC at all, even no "Unknown device" from Windows?

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 04:31:16 am »
I've been playing around with the driver. I searched the internet and found some people install an older version and then install the newer version. I ended up using RK's Driver Assistant install and then updating the driver. It shows up in the Device Manager right now (didn't before) but not yet in the RK Batch Tool. I haven't given up yet. :) I'll keep playing around.

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 04:40:01 am »
Yikes! I just noticed my left analog stick is broken. It's not connected anymore (hanging loose.) Just lovely. This is a piece of junk.

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 04:44:29 am »
I'm asking Geekbuying for a refund. My JXD 7100B seems pretty well built compared to this.

nielo360

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:13:26 am »
Im sorry you had this experience, however Im just finishing up my video review, this device is by far the best and most solid device Iv used till date. The only known issue was D-pad diagnoals being hard which is fixable, my wifi is extremely strong button are solid. Iv even dropped it by mistake and not had a single issue, i guess you got a bad batch, ill link my video in a while.

Also were you updating your device firmware with an SD card as you primary hardrive?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:16:03 am by nielo360 »

skelton

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:58 am »

You just got a defective unit. Return it back and that's it. Mine is also working good. I have made several flashing (firmwares) for testing and no problem so far.
Retired

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 02:57:05 pm »
I PM'd Eric from Geekbuying and he is very nice and apologetic for it. He offered to replace it with a G5A if I wanted but he also said he would test the unit before he sends it. I really wanted to stay with the larger screen. My wife did mentioned the device seemed loose inside the package so I wonder if it got knocked around too much during transport. Geekbuying did wrap the box itself in bubble wrap but inside the box it seemed loose.

Anyways, if you guys are saying your's are working fine then I might just get it replaced with the same model rather than just go for the G5A.

lemmywinks

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:41 pm »
Weird about the packing job as mine was wrapped solid in air pockets, took me a while to get into it in fact! The box for the G5A holds it firm so it would be very difficult to damage IMO. Did yours come from overseas or was it sent from your country? Mine was delivered via a tracked service from the UK which was nice.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:13 pm »
Weird about the packing job as mine was wrapped solid in air pockets, took me a while to get into it in fact! The box for the G5A holds it firm so it would be very difficult to damage IMO. Did yours come from overseas or was it sent from your country? Mine was delivered via a tracked service from the UK which was nice.

My wife said it was loose in the box itself (I didn't notice because I opened it as soon as it got into my hands.) The wrap was on very tight and secure (no problems there.) The device was sent from China to the US.

StevenP (OP)

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »
Are you sure you powered it off before plugging USB-cable and then turned it on with Power & Vol+? I had few attempts to connect it to PC before I realized that console is still "on".
Didn't you get one with a broken analog stick? Was it hard to replace?

As far as flashing the firmware I am considering trying it on another computer. If I can get it booting again and all I need is a new analog stick I might just do what you did and ask Geekbuying to send me one. I was planning on opening it up to fix the d-pad anyways.

Vinc3Has3

• The Not Sane For Work Podcast
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 05:40:58 pm »
Just received my G7 yesterday. It's a replacement from Willgoo for My JXD 7800 which died under their warranty period. Willgoo literally opens the box and wraps the unit in bubble wrap before shipping. They may even give it a test spin before wrapping.

So far, I like it. Even though the screen is pretty much crap next to the 7800. It reminds me of my old Sega Nomad screen - hard to find a decent viewing angle, blacks are blue-tinged. Obviously it IS better than an ancient Nomad screen, but it's definitely a place where GPD decided to save some cash...

I installed the most current rom update (android 4.4 - v 1.01) via PC - all went well. I've noticed that, like the 7800, the 1.8Ghz Cortex A9 spec is now bogus. Mine clocks at 1.4, just like my JXD, which was a second-gen unit.

Still playing PSone at full speed. That's just fine by me...  :)

lemmywinks

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 05:54:50 pm »
Weird that it is loose in the box, the G5A has a shaped rubber insert which secures the console so it can't move around.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

skelton

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »
Screen is not IPS, so it's normal that it is worse than 7800. It's ok for emus anyway.

About CPU speed, I personally teold willgoo and all shops to fix the specs in their pages. Device is 3188-T with clock at 1,4 ghz. Can be Overclocked at 1,6 ghz though. But seems most shops decided not to change specs.

About firmwares, I personally prefer Android 4.2.2. It's a bit more polished than Android 4.4.2, that needs some love from Rockchip poeple. Though to just playing games both firmwares are ok.
Retired