Author Topic: Does GPD XD have lag when playing arcade games?  (Read 3949 times)

eltehero (OP)

Does GPD XD have lag when playing arcade games?
« on: May 29, 2019, 08:44:41 am »
Hi,

I still haven't used my original GPD XD (not plus) yet being a lazy retro gamer! and turning my attention to the ingenic devices which are getting very popular now

I still do intend it to use my XD  for mame and fba only if there is absolutely no input and audio lag when playing arcade games because I do like the form factor of the device and want to give it a chance more than any other device.

This is very important to me as the major reason I bought the XD was to play arcade games. I have read a lot about android and lag on XD particularly noticeable with certain games like super mario world on snes emulators, however I have absolutely no interest in snes emulation so I am really concerned about that.

It is a different story for arcade emulation and what worries me is any lag using mame and fba emulators.

Does anyone here use their XD for hardcore arcade gaming and give advice? If there is absolutely no lag at all then I will keep my XD and use it to play arcade games otherwise I'll probably sell it.

Thanks for any help and advice regarding this.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 12:35:11 pm by eltehero »

zoragon

Re: Does GPD XD have lag when playing arcade games?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 10:12:40 pm »
There absolutely is input lag. If people can notice it or not is variable person to person. The best way to figure it to try it out yourself with 1 game where you feel input lag is important and see if you can notice it.
If you ever used a raspberry pi, the lag is probably around the same level.

snikt

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 04:41:10 pm »
I use Mame on my arcade cabinet with a pc and on my gpd xd. I never thought about lag. So at least I personally never recognized a difference. I also think the only way to figure it out is to give it a try. Since it?s fast and easy to set up I think it?s easier than to try to get an answer here that satisfies you.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

SoulCat

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:09:51 pm »
I'm using Mame on my RS-97 plus an on my GPD XD plus.
Most ROM has a small lag on GPD CD plus and no lag on my RS-97 plus.

The GPD XD has 4 cores with 1,8GHz and a fast GPU, while RS-97 has only 580MHz ...

The difference is, RS-97 do MAME.
And only MAME!

GPD has ANDROID running, a multi threading kernel, and it does 1000 other things while MAME is running.
While MAME is running always other tasks interrupts the game.
And so some people find, it has "lag".

fortierpaul

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 01:31:40 pm »
There is input lag that?s for sure.
For my experience on snes, megadrive, GBA emulators the laf is noticiable however for arcade games it never bothered me that much. The reason is probably because I never player those games on the original hardware whereas I did play a lot on megadrive snes and gba.

Today I have sold all my gpd?s devices (win, win 2, gpd xd) I am only playing on a cracked ps vita Oled (first model). I have no input lag on any emulators and the colors and screen is just amazing.
For arcade game i use pfba and they all look great, for gba gb gbc i use mgba and for the rest reteoarch.
That?s the best config for me after having tested barely all available systeme out there. However there is some drawback: N64 does not work, PSP runs at native resolution (whereas you can have better resolution with ppsspp on android devices) and no shaders are available (whereas you can apply some beautiful onces on android devices).
If you want to stick with the gpd xd overclock it with legacy rom (very easy) and use mgba for gba gb gbc games (however you?ll still  have input lag for games like smw ) for neo geo use robert broglia emulators (neogeo) that?s clearly the best.

Hope it is of any help,

Envoy? de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

eltehero (OP)

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 12:46:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies

@fortierpaul, Did you experience input lag with the win and win2 as well? I thought it was only a GPD XD problem as it runs on android

fortierpaul

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 08:17:40 pm »
Hello,
Yes i did experience input lag on gpd win 1 and 2 on the game i used to play when i was young.

It?s possible though to use the ? frame ahead ? function on retroarch. However you ll have to test and use different settings for each games to find the right number and it will not work on gpd win 1 (not enough power horse).

Envoy? de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk