Author Topic: disappointed with the GPD XD (with comparisons to the Nvidia Shield Portable)  (Read 24363 times)

vcoleiro1

Spoke with Radius from the retroarch team, going to test a fix he's making for our device specifically.  He said its related to having to hackishly support the gpd xd using a similar dual control driver for game controls and android hw buttons.  Should have the test code today, if it works will update you guys.  Should get pushed to nightlies very quickly as well.  If you're not on the nightlies, you're not doing yourself any favors.

That sounds good, thanks for talking to him about it.

Chimera

Spoke with Radius from the retroarch team, going to test a fix he's making for our device specifically.  He said its related to having to hackishly support the gpd xd using a similar dual control driver for game controls and android hw buttons.  Should have the test code today, if it works will update you guys.  Should get pushed to nightlies very quickly as well.  If you're not on the nightlies, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Thanks for doing that legwork, I appreciate the effort and hopefully the fix is successful!

shinkamui

good news/bad news:

Bad news is the fix that fixed the shields similar separate usb device for back doesn't work with the gpd, and without a unit Radius can't get to the bottom of it.

Good news is that the workaround is simple, and provides full functionality without the loss of input when using the back button:
- in the settings input menu, disable use back as menu toggle
- in the same menu, enable menu toggle combo of your preference (i like l3+r3)
- in the input hotkey config bind menu toggle to vol+

vol+ will not work as a menu toggle, but effectively clears the automapping of back.  Now when you toggle the menu back and forth with your hotkey combo, it will work fine, and will not "break" the game controls when returning to the game, especially when tabbing in and out of retroarch.  Going to continue working on a fix with radius, he's looking to score a unit cheap if possible.

brushpicks11

I have a screen bleed on mine too top left corner. Does no one else really have this problem besides the two guys listed here? If everyone else is experiencing screen bleeding then I won't return mine considering it wouldn't be worth it but if that's a rare thing for this device then I definitely will return it.

Lax

• Host Anvil - Web Hosting
I have a screen bleed on mine too top left corner. Does no one else really have this problem besides the two guys listed here? If everyone else is experiencing screen bleeding then I won't return mine considering it wouldn't be worth it but if that's a rare thing for this device then I definitely will return it.

I'd say it's pretty rare considering I haven't seen anyone mention light bleeding on the GPD until today.
Turn off your Android games console when you are finished with it!

Saber

Thanks for the summary!  I'm not too fussed at all about portability to be honest, just the comfort of using the device.  I bought a Linx Vision last week, but had to return it right away because the pad was making my hands ache :(  If the iPega is more ergonomic than the XD for streaming (easily reaching the shoulder buttons while using ABXY etc), then the performance would be a huge bonus :D  Which would you say is the most comfortable of the two?

It all depends.  I use the iPega and Shield mostly while sitting in bed, so I rest the tablet on my belly.  I'm 44, so I've got a little more of it now, than when I was 24. ;-)  The curved handles make for a comfortable hold, but it is a wide tablet, so your arms are spread out more.  It is a little heavier setup, using the two together, but nothing that will tire your arms.

As for the XD.  I really don't have any issues with the controls on it either.  I find that I need a little more elbow room, and I hold it a bit closer to me.  That's a given, since the screen is smaller.  That means I have to stretch my arms a little more often.  The XD does feel lighter.

I prefer the controls on the iPega over the XD, but neither one has poor controls.  In all honestly, both are pretty comfortable to use.  I don't really have a preference in that area.

Thanks!  Hmmm the portability of the XD would certainly be useful tbh.  Are there any deadzone/input lag issues with either pad?
To chime in, I haven't noticed any lag with input or sound in any emulators installed on my XD. The lightweight, svelte dimensions, beautiful display, killer low price, and the premium quality feel and response of the controls makes this the recommended portable for retro gamers. It's not perfect but it's pretty close. Very happy with my purchase but as always make sure to buy directly from GPD through their online store or Amazon storefront just in case. ;)

Post a new topic