• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: disappointed with the GPD XD (with comparisons to the Nvidia Shield Portable)  (Read 23083 times)

radiohead14 (OP)

just my honest opinions after using the XD and also owning the Nvidia Shield Portable..

pretty disappointed with the XD after a full day and a half's use. this thing has been a headache right from the start:
-my 32gb came with a slightly loose left trigger button that gives a bit of rattle when moving the device.
-slight light bleed on the top left corner
-button labels slightly off centered
(while the above 3 issues are not really that big of a deal, with everyone hyping up the improved quality - i still find it to be just a bit better than JXD quality) - so yea.. pretty disappointing
-terrible wifi (seriously had to wait 5-10 mins a few times just for the Google Play store and some websites to load)
-much smaller than expected face buttons that have no satisfying feel to the press (same with the tiny mushy directionals - seriously, it's not fun playing fighting games with that tiny thing)
-uncomfortable ergonomics due to the tiny buttons and placement of the R2 L2, R3 L3 on some games
-the gamepad mapper isn't that good either with retroarch, but i'll blame this on the app (though my Nvidia Shield Portable's mapper auto configs retroarch like a champ).
-tinny sounding speakers
-and worst of all, the internal storage seems to fail from time to time. files would disappear on me when plugging the XD into my computer, then randomly reappear out of nowhere. sometimes files i've already deleted would show up again when i plug into my computer... real randomness.. but the icing on the cake was the looooooong boot up times. it's not all the time, but it's happened a bunch of times already, and that is unacceptable for a new device on day 1.

some people make fun of the Nvidia Shield Portable's bulkiness, but the form factor is much more comfortable with big satisfying to press buttons that are nicely positioned, and bigger fuller sounding speakers that are the best i've heard in any handheld. this thing is also still running smoothly after 2 years of almost daily use with the big battery still providing about 8 hrs use. never had wifi problems with the same network i had used with the XD also. Nvidia's gamepad mapper auto configures most emulators and games without issues as well without further tinkering like i had to do with GPD's mapper. performance-wise.. this is why i'm mainly disappointed with the XD - i would've tried to ignore/forget the issues i've already experienced with the XD if it had performed better than the Nvidia SP... but it didn't. i found most games ran the same as they did on the Nvidia with only one game, Chrono Cross, using retroarch/PCSXR, being slightly better with lesser sound stutters. so to me - i'm not really seeing any reason to hold onto the XD if it can't even beat a 2yr old device that has a much better build quality.

i really tried to like this thing, as i was so excited for it, but that excitement quickly turned into frustration. does anyone know if the return process back to Willgoo is painless? i really hope it is, as i've had enough frustration for the week. if anyone from the NYC area also wants to buy this from me, let me know asap, and i'll let it go for less than face value. thanks.

Chimera

I'm not going to argue most of your points because it's pretty obvious you got a lemon and should get a replacement.  However I want to know why you were expecting the XD to have better performance than the Shield Portable?  Everything I've read both on this forum and other places says that at best the XD performance is comparable but the Shield will outperform it on a lot of things due to the Tegra 4.  Sure the XD has a newer SoC but if games and emulators are built to take advantage of the GPU on the Tegra 4 of course they're going to run better.

radiohead14 (OP)

I'm not going to argue most of your points because it's pretty obvious you got a lemon and should get a replacement.  However I want to know why you were expecting the XD to have better performance than the Shield Portable?  Everything I've read both on this forum and other places says that at best the XD performance is comparable but the Shield will outperform it on a lot of things due to the Tegra 4.  Sure the XD has a newer SoC but if games and emulators are built to take advantage of the GPU on the Tegra 4 of course they're going to run better.

well since I planned to use it mostly as an emulator machine (and I believe emulators rely more on cpu than gpu), I was hoping the newer cpu would perform better, since I've read that it should be around 15% better than the tegra 4, but in reality, it wasn't. most games ran the same. I'm not sure if it's because GPD underclocks this thing heavily? also the gamepad mapper conflicted with emulator inputs often also, since I believe that's because it's not as supported or recognized as Nvidia's. for example, I managed to set it up for retroarch, but once you press the back button (which should bring up the menu), it recognizes it as another different input, so it would stop working. I found a workaround, but you'd have to press a combination of buttons instead of one. little things like that add up to the user experience. also the buttons are really tiny, that they do also lessen the enjoyment. the uncomfortable ergonomics was also another big deal for me. no replacement could fix those.

and please don't get me wrong. I mainly wanted to voice my opinion and experience because there really aren't that many comparisons out there between the two. for the longest time I wondered how real world performance would be between the two before I made the purchase, but all the info out there were limited. I'm hoping that maybe someone who's also in the same position I was in before making the decision to buy can have a bit more input from others who own both. if the XD was priced at $99, then I can see it being worth it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:41:07 am by radiohead14 »

vcoleiro1

There's no doubt the Shield Portable is better as has been said.  Mind you, I don't think they have manufactured it for a long time now, it  has not even been in the Nvidia Store for ages.  Not sure what that means, but there's that.   

I do also agree that it sounds like you got a lemon, and I would probably return that GPD XD.

One thing that has to be said though.  The GPD XD major pro is that its a pocketable gaming handheld, and GPD did the best they could to make it the best it could be for that form factor and price.   The Shield Portable is great, but it's not pocketable.  If you want to have a handheld which you can take anywhere without needing to carry it around in a bag/briefcase, then your only choice is the XD.   To fit that form factor, the GPD XD is restricted in a way the Shield Portable isn't.  As the Shield Portable is a lot larger it can be what it is.  For example, there is a fan inside the Shield Portable to keep the T4 cool and prevent it from thermal throttling.  Something you can't have in a clamshell pocketable handheld.  And yes you can also make something non pocketable like the Shield Portable with pontoon style grips for better ergonomics. Again something not possible with a pocketable clamshell.
So , what I'm saying here, is that it's horses for courses.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:58:28 am by vcoleiro1 »

radiohead14 (OP)

There's no doubt the Shield Portable is better as has been said.  Mind you, I don't think they have manufactured it for a long time now, it  has not even been in the Nvidia Store for ages.  Not sure what that means, but there's that.   

I do also agree that it sounds like you got a lemon, and I would probably return that GPD XD.

One thing that has to be said though.  The GPD XD major pro is that its a pocketable gaming handheld, and GPD did the best they could to make it the best it could be for that form factor and price.   The Shield Portable is great, but it's not pocketable.  If you want to have a handheld which you can take anywhere without needing to carry it around in a bag/briefcase, then your only choice is the XD.   To fit that form factor, the GPD XD is restricted in a way the Shield Portable isn't.  As the Shield Portable is a lot larger it can be what it is.  For example, there is a fan inside the Shield Portable to keep the T4 cool and prevent it from thermal throttling.  Something you can't have in a clamshell pocketable handheld.  And yes you can also make something non pocketable like the Shield Portable with pontoon style grips for better ergonomics. Again something not possible with a pocketable clamshell.
SO , what I'm saying here, is that it's horses for courses.

understood. the smaller form factor was one of the major reasons why I wanted the XD before. though, I guess now I know that I'd rather sacrifice a bit of pocketability for better ergonomics, buttons, and sound. the speakers really are great on the Nvidia, that I now realize how they really do add to the gaming experience. for example, you can actually discern the differences between reverb settings in the PlayStation core. I guess I just had high hopes that 2 years advancement in technology would actually bring a new device that could dethrone the Shield.

Chimera

also the gamepad mapper conflicted with emulator inputs often also, since I believe that's because it's not as supported or recognized as Nvidia's.

The XD just emulates an Xbox 360 (or PS3) controller - you don't need to use the "gamepad mapper" unless you're mapping physical controls to touchscreen buttons.  That being said, Retroarch causes me problems too but every other emulator has been perfectly fine. 

fetarius

I feel sort of the same about the Q9.  It works "ok", but it doesn't seem like a great improvement over a phone and a moga controller.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to pull the back off and re-align the a b x y controls, as the buttons stick constantly now, not to mention how bad it is underclocked.  I don't think I would replace it with a GPD or JXD device anymore.

sere83

Thankfully someone on this forum knows what they are talking about.

I tried to make this point on the other thread but most people over there do not seem to know the meaning of good build quality or what a good software experience might looks like and justify it by saying 'well its a cheap device what do you expect?'

This was exactly why I was saying GPD should focus on improving their hardware and software design and build on the foundation of the XD before trying to reinvent the wheel with a windows handheld. Because at the moment there is a lot of room for improvement. The light bleed on my unit is horrendous as well. And I agree those shoulder buttons are not great at all.

But what jars me the most about the XD is that spongefest of a DPAD. Despite the increased power and smoother emulation of a few systems, I actually prefer playing NES/SNES/NEOGEO/MD & GBA titles on my PSP GO.

Now the PSP Go is by no means perfect but emulation wise it is still pretty good for 8/16 bit systems and the DPad is hard and very responsive, you notice the difference massively when running NESter on the PSP GO in comparison to NES.EMU on the GPD, the controls just respond so much better on the PSP.

Another thing that is worth noting is that in my mind the GPD is not actually that pocketable. Not like my PSP GO which I can take anywhere and doesn't feel like i'm carrying a brick around with me. So again teh PSP becomes more genuinly useful as a pocket device.

Call me a dreamer but personally I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility to create a proper portable android handheld at a higher but still vaguely reasonable price point, if the right company with the right expertise was involved. Especially when you consider the amount of components stuffed into phones nowadays and how little they are being sold for.

Ok it was a long time ago but sony already did it with the PSPgo, ok it wasnt perfect and didnt have all the controls and power of a GPD but it was still a nice unit. So I dont think it is impossible i just dont think GPD could execute it well.

This is what I would really like to see. Currently there is nothing like it on the market.

It will never happen and i'm sure people will give all sorts of reasons why this design is unrealistic and will cost too much etc etc but bare in mind it is a quick mockup and also complete fantasy....

Spec Sheet:

3.67 inch 960x540 QHD (AMOLED) @ 300DPI Multitouch display
Android Marshmallow
MTK/Rockchip CPU?
3GB Ram
16GB Internal Rom
MicroSD( 128GB)
Bluetooth V4.1
Wifi a/b/g/n/ac
Ambient Light Sensor
Accelerometer
2200mah Battery

Playstation Style D-PAD / 3DS style analogs / Marshmallow Hardware controls / Clamshell design

Price: $225/?152

Using the lower res AMOLED is obviously an attempt to extend battery and avoid taxing the cpu too much. Still 300dpi so would be still be very sharp.

See attached image. Be interested to know what people think.

PS. apology for slightly hijacking this thread
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:28:44 pm by sere83 »

BensJammin

I won't argue your point as I absolutely loved my shield but I do prefer my XD for one reason and that is because I have the 64gb version and I only really play android games. The internal storage of the shield was ridiculous (12gb with nothing installed ) so I had to mess about with foldermount etc and it's so much easier and quicker to have the internal storage space. Also, the shield has that crazy clocking issue if it isn't rooted so gameloft games (asphalt 8 for example) had atrocious frame rates without rooting and performance governor applied. I only sold my shield because i needed money at the time but i do miss it and i still have my controller so might invest in another or even the k1 tablet at some point. I am more than happy with my xd though and for now its fulfilling my needs 😀

fetarius

I tried to make this point on the other thread but most people over there do not seem to know the meaning of good build quality or what a good software experience might looks like and justify it by saying 'well its a cheap device what do you expect?'

This was exactly why I was saying GPD should focus on improving their hardware and software design and build on the foundation of the XD before trying to reinvent the wheel with a windows handheld. Because at the moment there is a lot of room for improvement. The light bleed on my unit is horrendous as well. And I agree those shoulder buttons are not great at all.

But what jars me the most about the XD is that spongefest of a DPAD. Despite the increased power and smoother emulation of a few systems, I actually prefer playing NES/SNES/NEOGEO/MD & GBA titles on my PSP GO.

Now the PSP Go is by no means perfect but emulation wise it is still pretty good for 8/16 bit systems and the DPad is hard and very responsive, you notice the difference massively when running NESter on the PSP GO in comparison to NES.EMU on the GPD, the controls just respond so much better on the PSP.

Another thing that is worth noting is that in my mind the GPD is not actually that pocketable. Not like my PSP GO which I can take anywhere and doesn't feel like i'm carrying a brick around with me. So again teh PSP becomes more genuinly useful as a pocket device.

Call me a dreamer but personally I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility to create a proper portable android handheld at a higher but still vaguely reasonable price point, if the right company with the right expertise was involved. Especially when you consider the amount of components stuffed into phones nowadays and how little they are being sold for.

Ok it was a long time ago but sony already did it with the PSPgo, ok it wasnt perfect and didnt have all the controls and power of a GPD but it was still a nice unit. So I dont think it is impossible i just dont think GPD could execute it well.

This is what I would really like to see. Currently there is nothing like it on the market.

It will never happen and i'm sure people will give all sorts of reasons why this design is unrealistic and will cost too much etc etc but bare in mind it is a quick mockup and also complete fantasy....

Spec Sheet:

Android Marshmallow
MTK/Rockchip CPU?
3GB Ram
16GB Internal Rom
MicroSD( 128GB)
Bluetooth V4.1
Wifi a/b/g/n/ac
Ambient Light Sensor
Accelerometer
2200mah Battery

Playstation Style D-PAD / 3DS style analogs / Marshmallow Hardware controls / Clamshell design

Using the lower res AMOLED is obviously an attempt to extend battery and avoid taxing the cpu too much. Still 300dpi so would be still be very sharp.

I wouldn't mind seeing a device that looks and feels like a PSP 2000 fit and finish, but with nvidia and Android under the hood.  The device you mocked up is good as well, as long as the controls don't wear after a few months of daily use.  My PSP 2000 still plays like new and it is almost 8 years old.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:38:17 pm by fetarius »

EddCoates

I'm really torn between the XD and a Shield K1 Tablet with an iPega 9023... Don't suppose anyone here has used both joypads?  :)  Really interested in finding out which is better for comfort, and streaming etc.

LordDavon

I'm really torn between the XD and a Shield K1 Tablet with an iPega 9023... Don't suppose anyone here has used both joypads?  :)  Really interested in finding out which is better for comfort, and streaming etc.

I have the original Shield Tablet with the iPega 9023, and the XD 32GB.  The performance is to the extreme better than the XD.  I was using my Shield Tablet a lot more, until the recall, and the replacement I received had issues.  The annoyance with the Shield and iPega is having to pair it all the time, since I put them down for 10 minutes and get back to find the controller went to sleep.  But, it is a great pairing.  I also prefer the Shield's mapping application.

As for the XD, it is a much more portable setup.  You can just pop the thing in your pocket and head out.  If you are going to be using the setup on the go, the Shield isn't really the one.  The iPega isn't each to carry since it doesn't close all the way, and the Shield is much larger.  Plus, you'll need to get a good case to carry both the controller and tablet.  The XD can just be closed and popped in a pocket.

So, it really boils down to performance vs. portability.  Which is more important?

EddCoates

I have the original Shield Tablet with the iPega 9023, and the XD 32GB.  The performance is to the extreme better than the XD.  I was using my Shield Tablet a lot more, until the recall, and the replacement I received had issues.  The annoyance with the Shield and iPega is having to pair it all the time, since I put them down for 10 minutes and get back to find the controller went to sleep.  But, it is a great pairing.  I also prefer the Shield's mapping application.

As for the XD, it is a much more portable setup.  You can just pop the thing in your pocket and head out.  If you are going to be using the setup on the go, the Shield isn't really the one.  The iPega isn't each to carry since it doesn't close all the way, and the Shield is much larger.  Plus, you'll need to get a good case to carry both the controller and tablet.  The XD can just be closed and popped in a pocket.

So, it really boils down to performance vs. portability.  Which is more important?

Thanks for the summary!  I'm not too fussed at all about portability to be honest, just the comfort of using the device.  I bought a Linx Vision last week, but had to return it right away because the pad was making my hands ache :(  If the iPega is more ergonomic than the XD for streaming (easily reaching the shoulder buttons while using ABXY etc), then the performance would be a huge bonus :D  Which would you say is the most comfortable of the two?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:51:58 pm by EddCoates »

LordDavon

Thanks for the summary!  I'm not too fussed at all about portability to be honest, just the comfort of using the device.  I bought a Linx Vision last week, but had to return it right away because the pad was making my hands ache :(  If the iPega is more ergonomic than the XD for streaming (easily reaching the shoulder buttons while using ABXY etc), then the performance would be a huge bonus :D  Which would you say is the most comfortable of the two?

It all depends.  I use the iPega and Shield mostly while sitting in bed, so I rest the tablet on my belly.  I'm 44, so I've got a little more of it now, than when I was 24. ;-)  The curved handles make for a comfortable hold, but it is a wide tablet, so your arms are spread out more.  It is a little heavier setup, using the two together, but nothing that will tire your arms.

As for the XD.  I really don't have any issues with the controls on it either.  I find that I need a little more elbow room, and I hold it a bit closer to me.  That's a given, since the screen is smaller.  That means I have to stretch my arms a little more often.  The XD does feel lighter.

I prefer the controls on the iPega over the XD, but neither one has poor controls.  In all honestly, both are pretty comfortable to use.  I don't really have a preference in that area.

radiohead14 (OP)

Spec Sheet:

Android Marshmallow
MTK/Rockchip CPU?
3GB Ram
16GB Internal Rom
MicroSD( 128GB)
Bluetooth V4.1
Wifi a/b/g/n/ac
Ambient Light Sensor
Accelerometer
2200mah Battery

that looks pretty good. though I think that a flat clamshell is not for me unless it is like the shield where your hands have contours to grip. for a smaller device like that, I think something along the lines of the gcw zero would be a little more comfortable. makes me wonder why that device hasn't been updated with newer tech, as that would fill that gap.

radiohead14 (OP)

I won't argue your point as I absolutely loved my shield but I do prefer my XD for one reason and that is because I have the 64gb version and I only really play android games. The internal storage of the shield was ridiculous (12gb with nothing installed ) so I had to mess about with foldermount etc and it's so much easier and quicker to have the internal storage space. Also, the shield has that crazy clocking issue if it isn't rooted so gameloft games (asphalt 8 for example) had atrocious frame rates without rooting and performance governor applied. I only sold my shield because i needed money at the time but i do miss it and i still have my controller so might invest in another or even the k1 tablet at some point. I am more than happy with my xd though and for now its fulfilling my needs 😀

true. I agree that they should've had options for bigger internal storage for people who mainly does Android gaming. though I think more apps have provided the ability to easily use external storage since you last had yours. as an emulation and pc streaming machine though, I haven't had issues having the external micro sd. I know people have already gotten 128gb cards to work as well. hopefully Nvidia will surprise us and announce a Portable 2 at CES.

radiohead14 (OP)

also the gamepad mapper conflicted with emulator inputs often also, since I believe that's because it's not as supported or recognized as Nvidia's.

The XD just emulates an Xbox 360 (or PS3) controller - you don't need to use the "gamepad mapper" unless you're mapping physical controls to touchscreen buttons.  That being said, Retroarch causes me problems too but every other emulator has been perfectly fine.

right, but even without touching the mapper, it still interferes. for example, go to retroarch's input settings.. you should see that the back button is, by default and should work as, a menu toggle.. but it doesn't work. so now try to assign that back button in the hotkeys.. it won't let you, since it all of a sudden recognizes it as an "rk29" input. it switches automatically from your normal gamepad, and this prevents your buttons from working.

eragon2890

right, but even without touching the mapper, it still interferes. for example, go to retroarch's input settings.. you should see that the back button is, by default and should work as, a menu toggle.. but it doesn't work. so now try to assign that back button in the hotkeys.. it won't let you, since it all of a sudden recognizes it as an "rk29" input. it switches automatically from your normal gamepad, and this prevents your buttons from working.

As it did on my archos gamepad 2, so I think this is really down to the app and not the console...

radiohead14 (OP)

As it did on my archos gamepad 2, so I think this is really down to the app and not the console...

correct, as i've mentioned before that i blame retroarch for that issue, but still, the gamepad mapper should be able to correct this like how the Nvidia's software does so automatically.

10basetom

• tohodo.com
There's no reason the buttons/triggers on the XD can't be bigger and better with efficient PCB design and more expensive components (it's not as if they ran out of space inside the case). No doubt the XD has lots of room for improvement in hardware, software, and QC departments, but it's a reasonable v1.0 for the price you pay.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:18:13 am by 10basetom »

Post a new topic