Author Topic: Any GPD G7 reviews?  (Read 8167 times)

stpat (OP)

Any GPD G7 reviews?
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:52:06 pm »
Has anyone found any good G7 reviews? There are some pretty in-depth reviews of the G5A, but G7 reviews seem scarce (which is surprising, because people seem to have the devices).

I'm curious as to how it performs compared to the G5 (obviously the G5 benefits framerate-wise from the lower resolution screen, I'm wondering how much of an impact the higher res screen has on the G7 framerate).

I guess the real question is, is the higher resolution screen too much for the older internals of these devices (mali400) to handle properly?

But, back to my original question... any reviews? :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:57:36 pm by stpat »

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: Any GPD G7 reviews?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »
I've just received a GPD G7 from Geekbuying, I should have a review up by this weekend  8)

stpat (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:29:52 pm »
I've just received a GPD G7 from Geekbuying, I should have a review up by this weekend  8)

Excellent, I'll keep an eye out for it.

MOFO

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:28:03 am »
Nice! Can you post a couple of pics of the screen.

Deen0X

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:04 am »
hope i receive a sample from manufacturer and i post a review for it. (i?m anxious too) XD

nielo360

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:28 am »
there is this one but its in french, the translated version doesn't make sense so if anyone is good at french they can summarize it
http://www.open-consoles-news.com/2014/02/gamepad-gpd-g7-passage-en-revue.html

acid

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:16:31 pm »
there is this one but its in french, the translated version doesn't make sense so if anyone is good at french they can summarize it
http://www.open-consoles-news.com/2014/02/gamepad-gpd-g7-passage-en-revue.html

My french is bad, but they complain about the card slot and the d_pad. they say both are terrible. I have to say I was pretty hyped about the g7 until I read this.

lemmywinks

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:58 pm »
Weird because the Dpad looks to be the same as the one on the G5A which is meant to be pretty good.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Deen0X

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »
GPD-G5A DPAD is good, enough for fighting games (my favorites). The only problem i found with this is the odd noise when releasing this.

but for usage is ok.

nielo360

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 12:54:16 pm »
Im going to buy the G7 i think,  do they say why the D-pad is bad? i tried reading the english version but i think its something about diagonal movement im not sure, The sd card slot is not a big deal can just use a pen to pop it out.

nielo360

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »
Ok I couldnt resist, I bought the G7, it will be my first chinese branded gaming device. I paid $167 with shipping hope it gets through customs.

GuZzO

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »
A quick translation of the french review (Google translate and small corrections for the meaning) :

Hello to all!

I come here to give you my impressions of the GPD G7 after a few weeks of use.
Above all, we must classify this product in the right category, namely the entry level 7 " Android.

It does mean that the overall quality of the device will automatically be worst than other more efficient and high-end machines. You should not expect miracles. In these prices then, it may seem obvious to everyone, but some may be expected to buy a Shield in 7", which is far from being the case!

PRO :
So first the grip : EXCELLENT !
The console is very light and ergonomics. I hold it as a console and not as a simple slate.
The device fits right and don?t slip as a GP2 or s7800. It reminds me something between the Official Dreamcast pad and the PS2 pad but bigger (for the handiness). Sticks are awesome! There are not simple slide but pure sticks paddle like X -Box with the L3 and R3 functions. The best I've ever seen on a handled console, ex- aequo with PS VITA sticks I guess (even if they do not look alike at all). Six buttons on the front, finally! I expected since a long time !

Rooted of origin, even if it is not really significant, and there are very good games and apps preinstalled , SFIV , NFS MW , Happy Chick Game Center and another I can not remember the name.

For the emulation part : all emulators I tried look pretty good. I have not done extensive testing, but what I played worked pretty well. I made the correct settings and have not seen major slowdowns or crashes in series.

The screen is bright, fast, responsive and good quality overall ( no dead pixels  nor problems with light leak neither).

12 programmable buttons for the emulators is more than enough ! The vertical positioning of the double triggers is excellent! No need to climb over R1 or L1 to go to press R2 or L2.
I would have prefered both triggers have the L1/R1 shape.
R1/L1 : " click " and resistance tip-top
R2/L2 : are looser , do not click and triangular shape is not terrible or very comfortable to use ...

AVERAGE :
The Form- Factor: "simple and effective" , it is quite impressive and compact, much thicker than its competitors but it holds up .
Finishing : it's no surprise there, nothing really bad to tell you, the plastic looks cheap but my console is really well done , there's nothing wrong and everything fits in place.

The buttons below the screen are very low quality, you have to press hard on it and they make a cheap noise.
I don?t use as slate (using a Nexus 7 instead) so it?s a bit difficult to talk about this. I think in its category it will meet your expectations, but this is not a race car .

CONS :
The micro SD slot is a disaster ! It is so deep that you need a tool to insert a card or withdraw it. It?s absolutely unforgivable for a dedicated console emulation!

About the front buttons, the two extra buttons called A and B in Willgoo's version (compared to four G5A buttons) are smaller than others and the layout is too slanted, not easy to play comfortably!

If you have/had a JXD S7800 before, the HOME/BACK buttons will certainly miss you. Navigation and settings are less easy and it's a shame !

The "D -Pad " is an atrocity , it is curved , angular to death and absolutely horrible to handle!
If you tried to do a semicircle/quadrant in a fighting game you?ll bleed after couple of try?
This is incomprehensible that a video game company make such a big mistake! Absolute ZERO here!

I will not go around the specs or the Android version of the console while it is available everywhere and I do not have much to add it.

Finally, I have a really mixed feelings about this console because there?s a lot of good ideas and at the same time it has incredible defects. It's simple: Either it?s absolutely excellent or it?s absolutely crappy !

But I would say this is a good entry-level 7? Android console but read what is written above. Even if the sticks quality compensates the rotten D-pad and a pen will help you handle your micro SD cards, such defects are unacceptable !

I do not regret my purchase in the end but I 'd like to know how to mod the damn D -Pad !
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:09:13 pm by GuZzO »

nielo360

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 02:00:28 pm »
Wow this was actually quiet positive, glad i bought it, as I worried about the screen (unless it comes cracked or somthing)  T

The two buttons that are mentioned, are the extra button that are added right? I doubt ill ever use those for gaming so it shouldnt be an issue unless he is talking about the actual A,B,X,Y buttons as they seem normal.

acid

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »
Finally, I have a really mixed feelings about this console
because there?s a lot of good ideas and at the same time it
has incredible defects. It's simple: Either it?s absolutely
excellent or it?s absolutely crappy !

I'm sorry but this doesn't read like a positive conclusion tbqh.

skelton

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 02:47:03 pm »
D-PAD seems similar to g5A, so I think he got a defective d-pad or something, because g5a dpad is fine (noisy but fine). I play fighting games perfectly with it.
Retired

GuZzO

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »
D-PAD seems similar to g5A, so I think he got a defective d-pad or something, because g5a dpad is fine (noisy but fine). I play fighting games perfectly with it.

No what he said is the Dpad is painfull because to sharpen on the edge

nielo360

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »
Finally, I have a really mixed feelings about this console
because there?s a lot of good ideas and at the same time it
has incredible defects. It's simple: Either it?s absolutely
excellent or it?s absolutely crappy !

I'm sorry but this doesn't read like a positive conclusion tbqh.

Its positive for me because the  few negatives he points out are negligible given the price, there arent many consoles with great sticks that have L3 and R3 , and I think the only negative was the D-pad which id have to test for myself.
the key things i focused on was for gamestreaming and android games
Light weight
solid controls
decent screen  1024x600.. still good enough+ less work for the gpu in android games
Large battery life

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:33:55 pm by nielo360 »

skelton

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »

No what he said is the Dpad is painfull because to sharpen on the edge

Yes, as I say, D-PAD seems similar to G5a, which I think it's pretty good.I play figihting games with it perfectly. I don't know, maybe the reviewer prefer other kinds of dpads. For me it's nice in g5a at least. Reminds me to the Street Fighter PADS from madcatz but smaller in size.
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 03:53:17 pm »
Maybe he's one of those guys who presses down on the directions instead of moving his thumb over them? I can see how the edges would hurt if you did that, especially of you missed and caught it right on the corner.

I usually just have my thumb kinda central and move it about and tbh that pad looks ok to me. Haven't got mine yet though so I guess I'll find out in a week or two.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

procyon

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »
Translations being what they are, there's a lot of room for misinterpretation.  What I was concerned with was that someone mentioned noise.  Does anyone know if it's a creaky kind of noise?  The kind of noise that you can physically feel because some part of the plastic is rubbing against another?  To me, that's worse than noise, that's like "fingernails on a chalkboard" sensation.  My 7300 was like that initially until I broke out an X-Acto blade and shaved off the far edges of the dpad just to get it to stop doing that or I wouldn't be able to use it.

So, can anyone with actual experience comment?  I know there's very few of us with a G7 so far. 

Personally, I'm feeling so fly like a G6, like a G6, like a G6.  Haha, sorry, I couldn't resist  ;D

Post a new topic