Author Topic: 3DS XL Accessories for GPD XD?  (Read 7364 times)

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

• The Not Sane For Work Podcast
3DS XL Accessories for GPD XD?
« on: August 01, 2015, 01:02:27 am »
Completely copying the style of another, more popular system may actually have certain advantages.

Since I have nothing but time on my hands waiting for the... Eventual... release of the GPD XD, I've been looking at accessories (cases and such) for the actual new Nintendo 3DS XL - Since the measurements of the GPD are almost the same, a case that fits the new 3DS XL is a no-brainer.

GPD measurements  (mm): 155 wide x 89 deep x 24 thick (closed)
New Nintendo3DS XL(mm): 156 wide x 93 deep x 22 thick (closed)

I also ran into these on Amazon (Pictures below):

Ergonomic add-ons to make the DS more comfortable to use. The plastic one is the base only, and seems to use some kind of hinge/lever to allow the back action buttons to actually be vertical instead of horizontal, just like a standard controller - which seems really cool. The rubber one is actually made to be a case, with a top, as well as the base.

I'm just not sure if that 4 mm depth difference will make them unusable. The silicone one might work, since it probably has to stretch to fit the DS - but I'm not as certain about the plastic one - especially if it's totally form-fitting. The silicone one will also cover the GPD's speakers, as well as a few other things, probably, so a little careful cutting would be needed.

Thoughts? Also, Have you run into anything for the 3DS XL that might also be a usable and fun addition to the GPD XD?

Here are the links to these products from the US Amazon website:

http://www.amazon.com/GAMETECH-XL-Trigger--Black--new-3DS/dp/B00SGWGBSE/

http://www.amazon.com/dreamGEAR-Comfort-GRIP-Protection-your-Nintendo/dp/B00UJ9LB6Y/

­

Re: 3DS XL Accessories for GPD XD?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 02:08:27 am »
The plastic one looks totally cool, but as you've said - it probably won't fit.
The silicone one will be a bit problematic. When something is modeled after a certain design they usually make it fit exclusively for it - meaning that for the GPD XD it will be very tight in some areas and very loose in some, causing a weird bend on the surface.

Also, I don't know if you've played with silicone coated controllers, but you can't play it for long. The sweat from your palms just covers the device. Though for short instances it's almost perfect - the increased friction gives you a far better grip.

eragon2890

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:49:44 am »
This should fit in my pocket, so why a case?

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:28:41 am »
Ever do anything like travel? Ever put it away when you're done playing? What happens when you wash your pants? Uncle Vincey puts his toys away, young man...  :)

Besides, a 3DS XL is only pocket-sized if your wearing jeans with very generous pockets. Don't believe the doctored pic from GPD: That's basically a cell phone with an XD photoshopped over it.

eragon2890

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 02:11:14 pm »
Ever do anything like travel? Ever put it away when you're done playing? What happens when you wash your pants? Uncle Vincey puts his toys away, young man...  :)

Besides, a 3DS XL is only pocket-sized if your wearing jeans with very generous pockets. Don't believe the doctored pic from GPD: That's basically a cell phone with an XD photoshopped over it.

I know, but I know from experience, untill I dumped it from months of non-usage, that a 3ds XL fits easily in all my pants? pockets. :)

and yes, I travel 4-5 times per week in vacation, otaku events and clubs and such (all anime stuff and related XD), and every weekday during university semester. I always take my Q9 with me to everywhre, and it?s in a sleeve.

But, serious question, what is the problem with putting your GPD XD in a pocket if it fits? If it survives a half meter fall to a marble floor, it should definitely be able to go in your pocket right?

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:07:48 pm »
But, serious question, what is the problem with putting your GPD XD in a pocket if it fits? If it survives a half meter fall to a marble floor, it should definitely be able to go in your pocket right?
You are allowed to put your XD into any pocket you see fit!  :)

That question was not posed by me in this thread. In like fashion, I am also allowed to get a case for it, if I so choose. My wife's iPhone is in a case, my iPod touch is in a case - and these, most certainly, fit in a pocket. That is not the criteria for the need or want of a case.

I started this thread to get ideas about any cool DS XL accessories that people think might be adaptable to the upcoming XD - Not to fuel the great case debate of 2015.

Besides, considering the types of games we often play on our Android gaming devices, I thought the case made a great statement. Sometimes, cases are just cool:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:21:57 pm by Vinc3Has3 »

eragon2890

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 05:03:28 pm »
You are allowed to put your XD into any pocket you see fit!  :)

That question was not posed by me in this thread. In like fashion, I am also allowed to get a case for it, if I so choose. My wife's iPhone is in a case, my iPod touch is in a case - and these, most certainly, fit in a pocket. That is not the criteria for the need or want of a case.

I started this thread to get ideas about any cool DS XL accessories that people think might be adaptable to the upcoming XD - Not to fuel the great case debate of 2015.

Besides, considering the types of games we often play on our Android gaming devices, I thought the case made a great statement. Sometimes, cases are just cool:

Okay, if it?s a case like that, then I want it XD

But chances are I will get some stickers like these http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mKXmIZIc2FAqvtc06U4UCyQ.jpg I have a Len x Rin one on the Q9 now, makes it a lot prettier, 3 euros of ebay! Those kind of vinyls are all over ebay for next to nothing and should also fit on the XD :)

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:20:42 pm »
Okay, if it?s a case like that, then I want it XD

But chances are I will get some stickers like these http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mKXmIZIc2FAqvtc06U4UCyQ.jpg I have a Len x Rin one on the Q9 now, makes it a lot prettier, 3 euros of ebay! Those kind of vinyls are all over ebay for next to nothing and should also fit on the XD :)

Now, that's cool! I hadn't thought of that! Exactly why I started the thread. If I'm forced to take the blue one (I ordered the black, 32 gig model), I'll look into XL vinyls to find a design that's more... Black.  ;)

XenapZ

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:14:03 pm »
That triggergrip looks really cool, did anyone ever try it on the GPD XD or a similar product?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see how old this topic was.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:19:57 pm by XenapZ »

Vinc3Has3 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:48 pm »
That triggergrip looks really cool, did anyone ever try it on the GPD XD or a similar product?

The trigger-grip didn't - the XD was too small. But the other one did (with a little modification)!

Here's the thread:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-xd-and-dreamgear-comfort-grip/

XenapZ

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 07:49:55 am »

The trigger-grip didn't - the XD was too small. But the other one did (with a little modification)!

Here's the thread:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-xd-and-dreamgear-comfort-grip/
Cool I'll check it out

jbach50

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19:59 am »
nice mod, might have to get one of these, my local gamestop has them. so far all I have is a carry case from Best buy for the new 3ds xl
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-go-case-for-nintendo-3ds-3ds-xl-and-new-3ds-xl-black/2824612.p?id=1219562538623&skuId=2824612

Post a new topic