Author Topic: 【GPD Q9】battery charging issue  (Read 4430 times)

airdream (OP)

【GPD Q9】battery charging issue
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:34:45 am »
have you noticed that when the battery charge still during too long time, the GPD Q9 still hot until unplugged and the battery fill down even it is still in charge. (both if GPD Q9 is swith on "ON" or "OFF" position)

I plug it before sleeping and in the morning i have around 85% of charge. (~7 hours of time charge)

If i plug it only ~3 hours, i can reach 100% of charge (and after it will decrease until unplugged)

is it my GPD Q9 only or everyone?

I don't have this problem with my JXD S7800B.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:51:40 am by airdream »

skelton

Re: 【GPD Q9】battery charging issue
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:29 am »
It does not happen on mine. Maybe you can try a different charger. I use one from my mobile phone.
Retired

eragon2890

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:28:31 am »
Maybe its miscalibrated? Just a guess, but could battery calibrator from the playstore help here?

airdream (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 03:36:08 am »
thank you for your advices, I'll try calibrator battery but not immediately, maybe my Q9 needs more cycles of charge / discharge (I received  my Q9 only 10 days ago).
i dont have another charger, the JXD S7800B one is different but works fine on my JXD.

fetarius

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 12:53:36 pm »
No troubles here, but I don't use the GPD supplied charger since it's not UL listed.

sirp0p0

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:54:24 pm »
Get a decent USB cable. I wouldn't trust the supplied cable. I would also recommend installing skelton's LegacyROM 1.0 instead of the stock ROM. Make sure to use a good cable for flashing.
LegacyROM:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/(rom)-legacyrom-1-0-gpd-q9/msg126905/#msg126905

For the battery calibration, I used this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&hl=en

eragon2890

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:22 pm »
No troubles here, but I don't use the GPD supplied charger since it's not UL listed.

Ul-whut? Some safety thingie?

sirp0p0

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 03:26:23 pm »

Basically if something is UL certified its built to spec and considered safe. Not that the cable is unsafe, but it might use cheap parts that may fail or not work properly like bad connectors or solder or just poorly shielded wires. There's not much to USB cables but I've had plenty cheap ones that break really easy, especially micro-USB.

eragon2890

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »

Basically if something is UL certified its built to spec and considered safe. Not that the cable is unsafe, but it might use cheap parts that may fail or not work properly like bad connectors or solder or just poorly shielded wires. There's not much to USB cables but I've had plenty cheap ones that break really easy, especially micro-USB.

Thanks! Then i guess their charger is not certified for fire safety and such... Though i read somehwere a lot of chargers are not on that list, so does it really mean much? ...

sirp0p0

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:36 pm »
Not really. But I've got some Samsung chargers that always have worked and have broken chargers from eBay or even Monoprice that just didn't last.

Titanreyes

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 11:00:16 pm »
Hi there

Same problem with my Q9. I have tried with another charger/cable with no results.

I am going to try Skelton?s Legacy Rom to see if it gets better.

Regards

fetarius

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:50 am »

Thanks! Then i guess their charger is not certified for fire safety and such... Though i read somehwere a lot of chargers are not on that list, so does it really mean much? ...

Generally speaking it means you are buying a quality charging device and the manufacturer paid to have the device certified to specific tolerance ranges.  That doesn't mean the GPD doesn't ship with a quality charger, but if there's a fire that's linked to your charger and it's not a UL Listed charger, your insurance company can deny the claim, at least here in the states.  It doesn't seem like it's not a quality charger, but we have so many sitting around from old devices that it doesn't make sense to use it when I have all these others.

Post a new topic