Author Topic: 1.8 ghz Legacy Rom Null  (Read 1846 times)

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
1.8 ghz Legacy Rom Null
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:29:25 am »
I would like a list of apps that will take the 1.8 ROM and clock it at 1.4ghz/1.6ghz until its needed higher.
Just need best practices, list of the best apps to do it, and maybe a step by step if anyone would be able to help.

What I want to do is give the options to noobs (like myself) to overclock their gpd and run their GPD optimized for each emulator. I will give the warnings at running it at 1.8ghz for too long, but i also want to add it to a noob friendly tutorial so that way they aren't stuck "being safe" and missing out on taking full advantage of their device because of it. I want to document this as best as I can to try and cover as much ground as possible and have an answer to pretty much every question.

So again, what cpu apps do you guys recommend?
What settings do you guys use?
Provided with apps and settings (and provided they follow the advice given) , would you recommend a noob installing 1.8ghz?

Coachballfirm

Re: 1.8 ghz Legacy Rom Null
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:02:32 am »
I would like to know this as well. Good topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruffnutts

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:21 am »
I'm using SetCPU but I must be honest I keep it set @ 1.8Ghz all the time but that's my choice, I'm sure you can set up different clock speed for different tasks, I just dont play it for to long periods of time to worry about it....

SetCPU is easy to use and you can change CPU speeds on the fly  8)

skelton

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
When I had my Xd with me, I used Kernel Adiutor as a CPu app. SetCPU is fine too. Most CPu apps allow to stablish a frequency on boot, so people just can use 1,4 if they want via cpu app. Kernel Adiutor also allow disable some cpu cores for non demanding apps and save more battery.

Benefits are in the most intensive emus, like mame4droid, bsnes core from retroarch, PPSSPP or reicast or uoyabause.

About a noob using 1,8 ghz, it depends on their needs and how comfotable they feel flashing firmware and that stuff.
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 06:19:47 pm »
Am I correct in saying that stock rom runs at 1.4ghz max?

supersonic

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:51:10 pm »
I use Kernel Adiutor as well, I think it has the nicest looking interface.
GPD XD 32GB Blue - LegacyROM Null 1.8 | iPhone 4S/iPad 2 32GB - iOS 7 Jailbroken | Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie 4.1 | Nintendo 3DS XL Black

skelton

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:55:40 pm »
Am I correct in saying that stock rom runs at 1.4ghz max?

Yep, you are correct, even though 1,8 ghz appears as a selectable frequency, dvfs is capped at 1,4 ghz, so in stock rom it never goes higher.
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:32 pm »
Ok good.

I think ill work on a tut next for setting up a cpu app.

If you guys can do me a favor and check this page out, see if there's anything I am missing or did wrong: http://sectioneight.net/gpd-xd/tutorials/gpd-xd-how-install-roms-unbrick-method#firmware-help

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 11:21:52 pm »
I'm going to probably set up a tutorial for each app.
So if I understood right, this is good: http://sectioneight.net/s8files/temp/SetCpu.mp4

I also have a question. If i set it up for ppsspp like I did in the video, If you exit and ppsspp is running in the background, that would leave the cpu on the 1.8ghz setting yes? meaning you should make sure and stop apps from running in bg so that the toggle is activated, yes?

I started with  Kernel Adiutor but im not sure how to set it to change on app start. any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:45:24 pm by PsyOps »

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 12:25:56 am »
Ok so you have to use Tasker to have it change? I bought it but this doesnt sound very nub friendly. Got the donation version of KA and then got tasker which is like 5 USD. Yeh this doen't seem like a good option, or did i miss something?

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 07:19:25 am »
I think i broke SetCpu with all the flashing/reflashing im doing. Doesn't want to change when i load PPSSPP even though I made a profile.

I started reading up on some stuff ( I am a tard and need much explanage at times ). I came across a q&a for NoFrills CPU:

Q: Do you plan on adding profiles? I'd love to select a different profile for when my screen is off!
A: Short answer is "No". I think that profiles are useless, because that's what governors are already: a profile for your CPU to follow while changing frequencies.
Adding profiles would mean adding the need for more memory, the need to run more often, check if something is happening (screen on, screen off and so on)... all of this without a real benefit.

Can anyone explain how profiles wouldn't be needed and how governors work?
I'm trying to figure this out so I can make a tut on CPU management.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:12:11 am by PsyOps »

skelton

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 10:44:49 am »
Setcpu profiles don't work with rk3288 kernel. Setcpu has not been updated in years. Kernel adiutor has an option to set on boot , no need to use tasker. What I do is changing manually my CPU preferencies before running an app as far as i remember, kernel adiutor doesn't Support per app profiles.. Basically i only change governor from interactive yo performance depending on the app.
Retired

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 12:38:18 pm »
ah ok that make sense. Ok I'll read up on it more today.

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »
Ok so I found exactly what I was looking for. The only problem is that it needs the KA widget to work and launcher legacy rom uses does not have widgets. Most launchers allow android widgets at least.

So this is what I did:
Installed my favorite Launcher: SquareHome2 Launcher.
Installed Kernel Adiutor
Set it to 1.4ghz and Interactive, and also set it to Boot.
Set up a profile: Turbo Off - 1.4ghz - Interactive - ( same as "start at boot" )
Set up another profile: Turbo On - Performance ( I think i want a third profile but these 2 are ok )
Then I put the widget that shows the 2 different profiles.

So basically at boot you get 1.4ghz and you have the toggle on home screen to change between Turbo On/Off. Without the profile setting this is still pretty nice and nub friendly I would think.

Your thoughts?

PsyOps (OP)

• Section Eight
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »
Oh i guess you can add widgets on regular legacy launcher just found it. I'll make tut in a few