Author Topic: [ROM] LegacyROM Kitkat for GPD XD  (Read 638635 times)

Skelton-retired (OP)

Re: [ROM] LegacyROM Kitkat for GPD XD
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 06:41:17 pm »
This is only needed if you want to update through microSD, right?
Not needed if you use the RK batch Tools?

If you update via RKBatchTool is not needed. It's just for those using microSD update, so they don't lose their data with the update.
Retired

Panja

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2016, 06:44:06 pm »
Okido. Understood!  :)

SynbiosZero

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2016, 09:41:05 pm »
I have noticed a bug in my rom, but fortunately can be solved. The bug is important: my rom doesn't allow to update via microSD or come back to stock via this way. But it has a solution:

Step 1 - Install Softwin_update.apk. It's the app GPD included for OTA updates:

https://mega.nz/#!0sQHiDJK!lC_3Yq9Se0zMRlmHJHVWopRp-DGGnXFrHmzwNfsQ3UE

Step 2 (probably unnecesary). Copy this apk to system/app with a root explorer and put 644 permissions. (rw-r-r-)

https://mega.nz/#!8lRVmDqT!wyJy0jzGs291NntmMzuzyZd3shBEWRuMfgg1EyCMSUU

Open the update apk you installed in step 1, select offline upgrade and select your update.img. And that's it.

If the softwin_upgrade app gives you a Force Close, do a clear data and cache of this app and try opening again.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will edit first post too.

On other good news, the NULL joystick driver is implemented and horizon chase can be played finally in the XD. Give a day or two to test before releasing an update.

Thanks a lot man, I was really looking for this game to work some day  :D

Chris23235

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2016, 10:42:11 pm »
I have noticed a bug in my rom, but fortunately can be solved. The bug is important: my rom doesn't allow to update via microSD or come back to stock via this way. But it has a solution:

Step 1 - Install Softwin_update.apk. It's the app GPD included for OTA updates:

https://mega.nz/#!0sQHiDJK!lC_3Yq9Se0zMRlmHJHVWopRp-DGGnXFrHmzwNfsQ3UE

Step 2 (probably unnecesary). Copy this apk to system/app with a root explorer and put 644 permissions. (rw-r-r-)

https://mega.nz/#!8lRVmDqT!wyJy0jzGs291NntmMzuzyZd3shBEWRuMfgg1EyCMSUU

Open the update apk you installed in step 1, select offline upgrade and select your update.img. And that's it.

If the softwin_upgrade app gives you a Force Close, do a clear data and cache of this app and try opening again.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I will edit first post too.

On other good news, the NULL joystick driver is implemented and horizon chase can be played finally in the XD. Give a day or two to test before releasing an update.

Do I understand it correct, that I will have to do these steps when I want to install an upcoming update for your Rom? And will it still be necessary to update this way after the Update?

Skelton-retired (OP)

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2016, 10:52:57 pm »
No. The new update will include these apps too. That step is only for next update and for people that installs it v?a microsd.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:55:39 pm by skelton »
Retired

jumpup

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2016, 02:22:46 am »
Some related good news: I tested both TWRP and CWM with my XD. The CWM instance did a full proper backup and restore.

metroid98

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2016, 03:31:26 am »
When I run the system update application and boot into recovery mode, it cant seem to find the update.img, i have it on the root of the micro SD. I think it may be looking for a update.zip file? I go into the apply update from external storage option but the image doesn't appear. Also it wouldn't let me replace the RKUpdateService.apk file. I'm updating from 3.3.8

Kilyo

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2016, 08:58:20 am »
Hi! There is no other way to completely replace the firmware instead of update it ? Rk BatchTool don't work for me on Windows 10.

Skelton-retired (OP)

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2016, 08:59:08 am »
When I run the system update application and boot into recovery mode, it cant seem to find the update.img, i have it on the root of the micro SD. I think it may be looking for a update.zip file? I go into the apply update from external storage option but the image doesn't appear. Also it wouldn't let me replace the RKUpdateService.apk file. I'm updating from 3.3.8

Those steps are only for future updates of my ROM. If you are using 3.3.8 just put it the root of.micro sd or internal. memory. It must be named update.img.  Make sure your file doesn't have a doble extension. Or try with a diferentes microsd. Most people have used this method to install it.

Though I will make an update for monday, so probably it's better to you to wait for the update.
Retired

Skelton-retired (OP)

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:11 am »
Hi! There is no other way to completely replace the firmware instead of update it ? Rk BatchTool don't work for me on Windows 10.

Well,.if ypu install it.v?a microsd and make a factory reset after that it shoukd the trick.
Retired

Kilyo

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2016, 09:04:16 am »

Well,.if ypu install it.v?a microsd and make a factory reset after that it shoukd the trick.

There is no difference if i put it in the internal memory ?

Skelton-retired (OP)

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2016, 09:14:21 am »
You can place it in internsl memory too to install it.

By the way, the update with the null joystick driver will be available on monday. I will be out weekend so i'll upload on monday when I have good Internet connection.

I just say it in case that people who haven't installed the ROM yet maybe prefer to wait for new update.
Retired

eragon2890

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2016, 10:39:17 am »
I will wait for the marshmellow rom. rather not have to install two new firmwares within 4 weeks of each other! :D

if there is a marshmellow legacy rom, I might chose that one, but only if there is still one available which keeps the CPU speed at 1.4 ghz and does not overclock the DDR - I am not about to take any risks of my unit melting down :-/

Chris23235

« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2016, 10:44:28 am »
No. The new update will include these apps too. That step is only for next update and for people that installs it v?a microsd.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I just prepared my device for the next update. I will post here if everything went fine next week. :)

Skelton-retired (OP)

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:03 am »
I will wait for the marshmellow rom. rather not have to install two new firmwares within 4 weeks of each other! :D

if there is a marshmellow legacy rom, I might chose that one, but only if there is still one available which keeps the CPU speed at 1.4 ghz and does not overclock the DDR - I am not about to take any risks of my unit melting down :-/

The firmware you are using, if it's one the first ones, use the same DDR overclock as mine. GPD underclocked from 3.3.5 or so.
Retired

eragon2890

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2016, 11:48:15 am »

The firmware you are using, if it's one the first ones, use the same DDR overclock as mine. GPD underclocked from 3.3.5 or so.

ah okay. But I am mostly worried about the CPU speed. As long ias there is a 1.4 ghz version avaliable, it's cool XD

Skelton-retired (OP)

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2016, 11:55:55 am »

ah okay. But I am mostly worried about the CPU speed. As long ias there is a 1.4 ghz version avaliable, it's cool XD

I will make a 1'4 ghz most probably, though using any other version and using a cpu app and setting a max to 1,4 ghz you get the same result.
Retired

eragon2890

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2016, 12:25:09 pm »

I will make a 1'4 ghz most probably, though using any other version and using a cpu app and setting a max to 1,4 ghz you get the same result.

thanks!

And that is true, but I usually don't turn off the device (current uptime on my XD is just over 860 hours aka ~35 days) just keep it in standy when not using. so if I forget to do that once at bootup it could be overclocked for a few months XD

Panja

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2016, 01:39:00 pm »
Most cpu apps can set the speeds you choose at startup.
At least the apps I used can do that. SetCPU for sure.
"Apply at boot"

excentrix

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2016, 04:32:32 am »
Hi,

After trying TWRP and CWM to see which one would provide me with the means of switching between my firmwares, CWM is the one that works for both firmware.

i was only able to backup the stock firmware with TWRP, so better off with CWM.

Cheers.