• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 68294 times)

phh (OP)

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »
Hello there,

Looks like I lost my original sources, sorry. But I think you can take any nougat rk3288 sdk, replace the kernel with mine (or cherry-pick my patches), and you should be good to go. Feel free to ping me (though not here, I really don't come here often as you'd have noticed) for help if some stuff are missing. (for vulkan, simply symlink libGLES to vendor/lib/hw/vulkan.rk3288.so)

My 7.1 gives something that original GPD XD firmware doesn't have that can bring increased compatibility and performance, which is vulkan support.

Nootboot64

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »
Soo... with this new info given by phh, is anyone thinking about working on this further?
Not trying to be greedy or anything, just wondering.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:42 pm »
I personally never found a nougat SDK for RK3288, only for other rockchip devices that I am not sure if it's usable for RK3288 or not (never tried because I don't own an XD anymore).I guess the main point is to find a public nougat SDK for the rK3288, if Phh knows where to get one, I guess anyone interested can begin to try stuff, because kernel is available. I am not sure if there are active devs with an XD that are interested or not. During my legacyrom times, I was alone in development for GPD devices until XD+ (device that I also made some contributions too by the way).
Anyhow, the main thing is to get a RK3288 SDK for nougat and that an active dev who owns an XD want to start developing stuff.

If someone wants to try, I don't mind to take a look to some stuff to help, but that's it, because I retired from android development and now I am in another projects non android related and not by the name of Skelton.
Retired

Nootboot64

« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »
Sorry for bumping again but can someone please please please work on this?
4.4.4 is not going to be supported for much longer... It's going to need something newer soon.
I don't have any money to buy the plus model. AFAIK all the pieces are in place to make a 7.1 rom, it just needs some work.
I'd be fine with waiting for as long as necessary, I just want confirmation that it's being worked on.

Or alternatively, is there documentation on how I could work on this? I really would do anything I can to help.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2019, 12:51:50 am »
Sorry for bumping again but can someone please please please work on this?
4.4.4 is not going to be supported for much longer... It's going to need something newer soon.
I don't have any money to buy the plus model. AFAIK all the pieces are in place to make a 7.1 rom, it just needs some work.
I'd be fine with waiting for as long as necessary, I just want confirmation that it's being worked on.

Or alternatively, is there documentation on how I could work on this? I really would do anything I can to help.

Unfortunately it doesn't seems that this will happen. I wish that i had the knowledge about how to develop roms, but this isn't something trivial. I still own my original xd, because saturn emulation for me it's way more interesting than gamecube. The best option in my opinion would be a patreon campaign so that we could make it possible, but it doesn't seems that anyone is interested. I tried talking to BlackSeraph at reddit and phh at xda forum, but none of them answered me back. It's sad because it seems that the basic work is already done and this rom just need a little bit polishing, so we could have the last updates from Yaba Sanshiro and a few more android games.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:00 pm »
Hello there,

Looks like I lost my original sources, sorry. But I think you can take any nougat rk3288 sdk,

And a place to get a nougat SDK for RK3288? I only saw Lollipop ones even for my firefly RK3288 dev board.
Retired

Skelton-retired

« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2019, 04:33:39 pm »
I am not continuing development anymore but since some people wanted 1,8 ghz in Nougat I made a commit.

https://github.com/skelton/linux/commit/7d46063bdff02c139982711b83a9100d21ec3c77

I cannot test but in theory should work since voltage levels are simlar to KK kernel. Just for anyone who wants to try, compile, or continue support. I am no longer in android dev anymore in a public way (I do some stuff but in a private way and under NDAs, so I cannot get involved right now XD which I don't own anymore).

But in case someone want to continue kernel development go ahead and cherry pick that commit and let me know if it works.
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2019, 10:04:45 pm »
I am not continuing development anymore but since some people wanted 1,8 ghz in Nougat I made a commit.

https://github.com/skelton/linux/commit/7d46063bdff02c139982711b83a9100d21ec3c77

I cannot test but in theory should work since voltage levels are simlar to KK kernel. Just for anyone who wants to try, compile, or continue support. I am no longer in android dev anymore in a public way (I do some stuff but in a private way and under NDAs, so I cannot get involved right now XD which I don't own anymore).

But in case someone want to continue kernel development go ahead and cherry pick that commit and let me know if it works.

Thanks, Skelton!  ;D

phh (OP)

« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2019, 08:12:11 pm »
Did anyone mirror "- Play Store: https://we.tl/yzZZ2mKb27 run install.sh (linux-only script, sorry)"?
If not, how do you flash gapps?

Skelton-retired

« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2019, 09:09:54 pm »
Did anyone mirror "- Play Store: https://we.tl/yzZZ2mKb27 run install.sh (linux-only script, sorry)"?
If not, how do you flash gapps?

@phh https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aPfsExqYbYHovyLJBx85EvnZEMGb-Eud/view?usp=sharing

I think you refer to this one :D

This also have the gapps and the script http://sectioneight.net/s8files/temp/gpd-xd-gms.zip
Retired

phh (OP)

« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2019, 10:16:57 pm »
Thanks.

For those interested, Geforce Now Mobile Beta (assuming you have access to it) works fine on GPD XD using v03 (I prefer predictable wifi than suspend :P), except that it requires:

echo device.internal = 0 > /system/usr/idc/gpio_keys.idc

Skelton-retired

« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »
Thanks.

For those interested, Geforce Now Mobile Beta (assuming you have access to it) works fine on GPD XD using v03 (I prefer predictable wifi than suspend :P), except that it requires:

echo device.internal = 0 > /system/usr/idc/gpio_keys.idc

Nice, too bad I don't bad an XD anymore to try out ( I think I still have my old q9psv somewhere but with kitkat). Just a question, I know that "pure" AOSP ROMS usually don't include gapps by default, but.... have you thought about including gapps into it? I just say it because since it's a RKSDK build sometimes Rockchip include gapps (at least fireflyRK3288 "opensource" dev board in RKSDK for LP did). Also, I am not sure if there is a working TWRP for the nougat build, if there is then it doesn't matter because everyone could just flash opengapps zip for example. The linux script is ok for experienced people, but I have the feeling we have many windows users here.
I mean, just in case you are motivated to build a "v05" or something.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:32:56 pm by skelton »
Retired

Nootboot64

« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2020, 10:40:37 pm »
I pray to you all, if you are not going to make a v5 rom, please take me under your wing and teach me how to edit an android rom, or point me to sources that will. I'm running out of use for this device and have no intent to buy a plus model.

I'm sorry for being so whiny, I just really like my GPD XD and would like to squeeze 110% of enjoyment out of it.

Thank you in advance to whoever next replies to this years-long discussion of "Will a newer android version be ported to the GPD XD"  :)

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2020, 12:22:15 pm »
I pray to you all, if you are not going to make a v5 rom, please take me under your wing and teach me how to edit an android rom, or point me to sources that will. I'm running out of use for this device and have no intent to buy a plus model.

I'm sorry for being so whiny, I just really like my GPD XD and would like to squeeze 110% of enjoyment out of it.

Thank you in advance to whoever next replies to this years-long discussion of "Will a newer android version be ported to the GPD XD"  :)

Did you take a look into this? This russian guy from 4PDA has released a couple of roms for some old jxd devices. I asked him if would be possible an updated rom for the original xd and he said they are actually developing a rom for it, so there's a possibility at least:

https://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-7800b-5-1-1-true-aosp-3-0-101-kernel-lineage-os-14-1-booted/40/

Nootboot64

« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:47 pm »

Did you take a look into this? This russian guy from 4PDA has released a couple of roms for some old jxd devices. I asked him if would be possible an updated rom for the original xd and he said they are actually developing a rom for it, so there's a possibility at least:

https://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-7800b-5-1-1-true-aosp-3-0-101-kernel-lineage-os-14-1-booted/40/
[/quote]
That's really cool, thanks for letting me know  ;D

laharl22

« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2020, 03:44:53 pm »
how to root please i have adb push many times su binarie but nothing ?

Andvaider4pda

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2021, 09:09:45 am »
take me system img

VasVasRaz

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2021, 01:20:36 pm »
** Edited this post to host the mirrors:

Android Exeperimental for GPD XD:
Version 01
Version 03
Version 04

I test the versions for 3 things:
- Boots up ok
- Doesn't break/brick your GPDXD. ( not guaranteed - but i do flash the rom myself to take the same risk )
- Abilitiy to restore my old backup after I am done.

Hi, my dear dudes, all links and mirrors doesn't work. Please, relink someone! V4 very need. Thanks!

UPD: serch links here http://xdrescue.com/gpd-xd-help/gpd-xd-files/gpd-xd-firmware/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:59:24 pm by VasVasRaz »

notime2d8

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2021, 10:20:22 pm »
Just wanted to put this out in the air but there are Rockchip sources/sdk's, about 5 of them, with rk3288 drivers for Android 10 and one for Android 11. Most Rockchip SBC's source code usually have the Rk3288 included. Below is a source with GPU drivers just updated in December 2020. This git and also Rockchip github has kernel sources up to 4.19 available as well.

https://github.com/khadas/android_vendor_rockchip_common/tree/khadas-edge-Qt/gpu/MaliT760

If you follow the instructions for this device, the Khadas Edge, and make a device folder for the XD you may be able to build Android 10. But it also requires the 4.19 kernel. Someone would just need to throw time at it.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic