Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 46686 times)

Radioboy86

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2019, 08:42:20 am »
Thanks man. I will try that. At this point I am done trying to fix the ROM, I mean it was closed source. I had no idea until I read this whole thread lol. Thanks for the help through.

onthebridge

« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2019, 02:12:21 pm »
Thanks man. I will try that. At this point I am done trying to fix the ROM, I mean it was closed source. I had no idea until I read this whole thread lol. Thanks for the help through.
Have you tried contacting the original developer? He is quite active on xda forums

Enviado desde mi MI 8 SE mediante Tapatalk

Radioboy86

« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2019, 09:43:06 pm »
I did try contacting him, Skelton and Black Seraph did too. Hell at least I tried lol. Just let me know if you guys find out more too. I would love for this lil ROM to be polished and fixed up to perfection too!

elemile

« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2019, 02:16:30 pm »

Thank you very much for reviving this. I'm also very willing to patreon a project to get this done. Could you provide videos of the current sate of the ROM and its advantages? Say, how Vulkan works on PPSSPP (if at all) with demanding games like GoW; or running streaming programs not compatible with original XD, like Parsec.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:19:39 pm by elemile »
xϵ{0,1} ; 0x = 0 ; 1x = x ; x? = x ; x(1-x) = 0 ; x+(1-x) = 1

Nootboot64

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2019, 11:12:52 pm »
My reason for wanting this (however unfeasible) is to squeeze some extra fps outta dolphin. If a 7.1 rom could help me do this (which it probably will, with dolphin 5.0 rather than 4.0) then I'll throw as much money as I have at it.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2019, 11:38:39 pm »
My reason for wanting this (however unfeasible) is to squeeze some extra fps outta dolphin. If a 7.1 rom could help me do this (which it probably will, with dolphin 5.0 rather than 4.0) then I'll throw as much money as I have at it.

Dolphin doesn't seems to be possible for the original XD, even with nougat. If you want better gamecube emulation, but far from perfect, you would need the XD Plus. The main reason for a nougat rom for the original XD would be the latest yaba sanshiro versions, since right now the original xd runs the sega saturn emulator better than the plus. Also for the vulkan api and being able to play a few more games which requires a new android version and that's it.

Nootboot64

« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2019, 12:07:31 am »

Dolphin doesn't seems to be possible for the original XD, even with nougat. If you want better gamecube emulation, but far from perfect, you would need the XD Plus. The main reason for a nougat rom for the original XD would be the latest yaba sanshiro versions, since right now the original xd runs the sega saturn emulator better than the plus. Also for the vulkan api and being able to play a few more games which requires a new android version and that's it.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I have reason to believe someone is making a 32 bit version of dolphin 5.0. You are probably right though, as my only evidence is this guy I've never heard of saying he would in the comments of a YouTube video.

Radioboy86

« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2019, 07:10:58 am »
Here is the reply I got from the creator. If anyone wants they can contact him to perfect this ROM...

"As far as I know, I was simply using rockchip's SDK Nougat as-is (except for the changes I mentioned in the post).

If you have issues when trying that, ping me (preferably on IRC #linux-rockchip @ freenode or telegram
@phhusson
). I think I still have the full source tree."

skelton

« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2019, 02:29:52 pm »
I don't have an account at XDA. but if he wants to share the SDK he used, he can upload it. Though I don't have an xd anymore I don't mind to take a look or try to help someone if he wants to build a rom.
Retired

Nootboot64

« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2019, 06:47:48 pm »
I have an account at XDA (just saying), and I'd absolutely be willing to put my XD out to be a crash-test dummy if necessary (also just saying).
What qualifications do android devs need? I'm not saying it's easy, but I'd be willing to help if I can.

skelton

« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2019, 07:27:48 pm »
I don't think you need special quaifications, of course the more you know about coding or programmer the better, but I did all my firmwares in the past just by self-learning and reading plenty of tutorials and checking other people's work to learn. Though I never considered myself a dev, despite all the roms I did for JXD/GPD in the past
Retired

Nootboot64

« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2019, 04:23:06 pm »
I just really hope it is possible, or at least plausible.
It would improve the lifespan of the og XD for much longer.

foxsevent

« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »
I just really hope it is possible, or at least plausible.
It would improve the lifespan of the og XD for much longer.
Honestly i'd just advice buying the XD+, you get better performance, 64bit CPU, bluetooth, Android 7.0 hopefully soon to be 9.0.

Android 7.1 won't help with performance and even compatibility wise it won't be much help as 7.1 is starting to be obsolete.

phh (OP)

« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »
Hello there,

Looks like I lost my original sources, sorry. But I think you can take any nougat rk3288 sdk, replace the kernel with mine (or cherry-pick my patches), and you should be good to go. Feel free to ping me (though not here, I really don't come here often as you'd have noticed) for help if some stuff are missing. (for vulkan, simply symlink libGLES to vendor/lib/hw/vulkan.rk3288.so)

My 7.1 gives something that original GPD XD firmware doesn't have that can bring increased compatibility and performance, which is vulkan support.

Nootboot64

« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »
Soo... with this new info given by phh, is anyone thinking about working on this further?
Not trying to be greedy or anything, just wondering.

skelton

« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:42 pm »
I personally never found a nougat SDK for RK3288, only for other rockchip devices that I am not sure if it's usable for RK3288 or not (never tried because I don't own an XD anymore).I guess the main point is to find a public nougat SDK for the rK3288, if Phh knows where to get one, I guess anyone interested can begin to try stuff, because kernel is available. I am not sure if there are active devs with an XD that are interested or not. During my legacyrom times, I was alone in development for GPD devices until XD+ (device that I also made some contributions too by the way).
Anyhow, the main thing is to get a RK3288 SDK for nougat and that an active dev who owns an XD want to start developing stuff.

If someone wants to try, I don't mind to take a look to some stuff to help, but that's it, because I retired from android development and now I am in another projects non android related and not by the name of Skelton.
Retired

Nootboot64

« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »
Sorry for bumping again but can someone please please please work on this?
4.4.4 is not going to be supported for much longer... It's going to need something newer soon.
I don't have any money to buy the plus model. AFAIK all the pieces are in place to make a 7.1 rom, it just needs some work.
I'd be fine with waiting for as long as necessary, I just want confirmation that it's being worked on.

Or alternatively, is there documentation on how I could work on this? I really would do anything I can to help.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2019, 12:51:50 am »
Sorry for bumping again but can someone please please please work on this?
4.4.4 is not going to be supported for much longer... It's going to need something newer soon.
I don't have any money to buy the plus model. AFAIK all the pieces are in place to make a 7.1 rom, it just needs some work.
I'd be fine with waiting for as long as necessary, I just want confirmation that it's being worked on.

Or alternatively, is there documentation on how I could work on this? I really would do anything I can to help.

Unfortunately it doesn't seems that this will happen. I wish that i had the knowledge about how to develop roms, but this isn't something trivial. I still own my original xd, because saturn emulation for me it's way more interesting than gamecube. The best option in my opinion would be a patreon campaign so that we could make it possible, but it doesn't seems that anyone is interested. I tried talking to BlackSeraph at reddit and phh at xda forum, but none of them answered me back. It's sad because it seems that the basic work is already done and this rom just need a little bit polishing, so we could have the last updates from Yaba Sanshiro and a few more android games.

skelton

« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:00 pm »
Hello there,

Looks like I lost my original sources, sorry. But I think you can take any nougat rk3288 sdk,

And a place to get a nougat SDK for RK3288? I only saw Lollipop ones even for my firefly RK3288 dev board.
Retired

skelton

« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2019, 04:33:39 pm »
I am not continuing development anymore but since some people wanted 1,8 ghz in Nougat I made a commit.

https://github.com/skelton/linux/commit/7d46063bdff02c139982711b83a9100d21ec3c77

I cannot test but in theory should work since voltage levels are simlar to KK kernel. Just for anyone who wants to try, compile, or continue support. I am no longer in android dev anymore in a public way (I do some stuff but in a private way and under NDAs, so I cannot get involved right now XD which I don't own anymore).

But in case someone want to continue kernel development go ahead and cherry pick that commit and let me know if it works.
Retired