Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 47729 times)

skelton

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2018, 06:52:25 pm »
In theory this alpha of android 7 support vulkan, but other things didn't work correctly.
Retired

e-ghost

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2018, 04:29:58 am »
Hi CommanderKitler,

Sorry I may ask silly question as I have limited Linux knowledge  :-*. May I ask what components are different? I think phh has provided the big piece in terms of Android 7.1 with CPU and GPU with Vulkan support so running latest EMU should not be a problem? Does it produce sound while playing latest EMU? Can we port the gamepad app from XD+ to this experimental Android 7.1 for XD? (From previous post by phh, seems he intended to put gamepad support in kernel but not yet completed. Then will it give us room to use non-kernel app to add-on gamepad support?)

So what is missed is gamepad, hdmi or propably power management (sleep)? Can we re-use any app from XD+ rom to make it works?

Thanks a lot!

CommanderKitler

« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2018, 08:29:52 am »
Well it seems like most of the major issues in the kernel are fixed (v4 seems to be able to suspend) and you could flash the rom and probably run any emulator with vulkan support fine.

As for the Gamepad - it does work it is just lacking an app to emulate ps3/xbox controls or map the buttons in another way (just taking the GPD XD+ gamepad app wont work though as there are differences in how input is handled) if the Emulator used does support input mapping that should not be a problem though. Someone would need to make their own Gamepad app for this rom if needed.

I don't know much about the hdmi - maybe the support yet has to be implemented into the kernel or the rom but I highly doubt any of the GPD XD+ apps will fix that.

there seem to be other issues like the wifi driver not working quite right.

The biggest problem seens to be the rom itself, being pretty much WIP and thats probably not gonna change anytime soon.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »
@skelton @CommanderKitler Since you guys knows a lot about it, i've been thinking. From where this ROM is right now, would it be possible for someone with the proper knowledge resume phh's work and develop it into a fully working version of Android 7.1?

skelton

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »
Supposedly yes, unless some driver is a bit tricky. But only phh has the private SDK that he used to make this rom. I think he discontinued it though.
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2018, 03:00:45 pm »
Supposedly yes, unless some driver is a bit tricky. But only phh has the private SDK that he used to make this rom. I think he discontinued it though.

So, only the kernel source that he shared won't be enough?

skelton

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
that helps of course , (in fact he cherrypicked some things from my kernel, lile LCD timings), but some drivers need userspace libraries that usually come with full SDK. I suppose he cannot share the full source for some reason (a NDA probably), For gamepad he used a different approach, but it is a HID gamepad. The gamepad modes of XD 4.4 can be used too, the driver is in my github.

Anyhow, about Vulkan, only PPSSPP would benefit for it I guess, and maybe retroarch, but that's it. I suppose the biggest improvement would be more android game support. Overclocked seems to be removed from his kernel too (it seems in new RK kernels 4.4x they use speeds in a different manner).

Buy yeah, someone with knowledge, but specially time and motivation could do a 7.1 ROM or even Oreo maybe. I asked GPD several times if they had access to a more modern SDK, but they never replied, probably because that would stop sales (even more, because I don't think it is selling too well) for xd +.
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2018, 03:45:51 pm »
that helps of course , (in fact he cherrypicked some things from my kernel, lile LCD timings), but some drivers need userspace libraries that usually come with full SDK. I suppose he cannot share the full source for some reason (a NDA probably), For gamepad he used a different approach, but it is a HID gamepad. The gamepad modes of XD 4.4 can be used too, the driver is in my github.

Anyhow, about Vulkan, only PPSSPP would benefit for it I guess, and maybe retroarch, but that's it. I suppose the biggest improvement would be more android game support. Overclocked seems to be removed from his kernel too (it seems in new RK kernels 4.4x they use speeds in a different manner).

Buy yeah, someone with knowledge, but specially time and motivation could do a 7.1 ROM or even Oreo maybe. I asked GPD several times if they had access to a more modern SDK, but they never replied, probably because that would stop sales (even more, because I don't think it is selling too well) for xd +.

Thanks for the information, Skelton. Although kitkat isn't really so outdated right now it would extend the original XD lifespan a little bit with a newer android version. Honestly i don't think that this could happen. Maybe black seraph could be interested with a patreon campaign, but i was disappointed that so many people had downloaded the original legacy rom, but almost no one donated.

skelton

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:14 pm »
Well, that happens unfortunately. Maybe GPD or a seller can send a device to Black Seraph or developer Rafaboom (which is developing for xiaomi mi pad 3 and showed interest on discord), for newer firmwares for Xd or Xd plus- In the case of Xd plus at least a firmware that currenty works ok, because it still seems a beta.....?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:47:46 pm by skelton »
Retired

Radioboy86

« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:47 am »
I just tried this have it working but NO SOUND? Can anyone help?

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2019, 08:19:45 am »
It is experimental - many bugs.
This project has also been abandoned. No more work on it, sorry.

Radioboy86

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2019, 01:22:16 am »
I got it working no worries, good ROM honestly, Wifi drops are only issues I see, feels faster than the 1.8ghz Legacy ROM I usually use. Some apps do not work, like the Play Store and some other emulators like Classicboy, etc... Still, Most of the main ones do work fine. This gives new life to any GPD XD! Nice to have some support for the XD Rk3288 and get Vulkan going for once! Great work!

FYI - Black Seraph's GPD WIN - Android Oreo ROM is incredible... SUPPORT HIM! N64 Emulation is flawless and Vigilante 8 runs perfect with 12 cars on screen no glitches! It has issues too, but is more powerful than any android handheld I have tried to date. I guess that z8700 ATOM is decent with a x86 build of Oreo!

Radioboy86

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2019, 05:42:08 am »
Hey can someone link me the PLAY STORE file that was deleted off the sharing site? It is gone now.

Radioboy86

« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2019, 05:42:49 am »
- Play Store: https://we.tl/yzZZ2mKb27 run install.sh (linux-only script, sorry)

That file is what I need

ker

« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2019, 03:27:35 pm »
I got it working no worries, good ROM honestly, Wifi drops are only issues I see, feels faster than the 1.8ghz Legacy ROM I usually use. Some apps do not work, like the Play Store and some other emulators like Classicboy, etc... Still, Most of the main ones do work fine. This gives new life to any GPD XD! Nice to have some support for the XD Rk3288 and get Vulkan going for once! Great work!

FYI - Black Seraph's GPD WIN - Android Oreo ROM is incredible... SUPPORT HIM! N64 Emulation is flawless and Vigilante 8 runs perfect with 12 cars on screen no glitches! It has issues too, but is more powerful than any android handheld I have tried to date. I guess that z8700 ATOM is decent with a x86 build of Oreo!
Does Steam Link app work in this rom?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Radioboy86

« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2019, 08:44:33 pm »
ROM works well enough, but all the the Google Apps, framework are missing, the root is all messed up too. Sadly the app support is not the most current too. BUT, Yaba Sanshiro 2.60 runs most games almost PERFECT on Nougat.

If ROOT could be fixed and the Goggle Apps could be installed, this ROM would only have 2 main  issues, WIFI drops, and the Bootloader screen garbage issues in the UI.

Radioboy86

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2019, 08:47:12 pm »
Sadly the XD RK3288 is not getting too much love now. It is ashamed... If this kernel had Skelton's OC to 1.8ghz and a proper config for the app store and proper ROOT, the XD would have NEW LIFE in support. Sucks honestly... RK3288 is not hard to develop for, I however suck at dev and any attempt I have made to dump/compile my own ROMs has been futile. I just do not have the smarts like our friend Skelton, other hackers out there :(

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2019, 12:10:49 am »
Thanks for letting us know your experience with this rom. It's really a shame that this rom didn't developed any further. It's funny considering right now that the XD Plus has some problems with Yaba Sanshiro and the newer versions worked with no issues for the original. Skelton is retired from android development. Maybe Black Seraph could be interested into creating a patreon for this development, but is there someone who still owns the original GPD XD?

Radioboy86

« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2019, 02:31:05 am »
Well I figured out to change my default resolution and DPI without needing proper root, so honestly, I do not need it fully ROOTed now. I only ever use ROOT for Overclocking/CPU control + changing higher resolution/dpi for the more demanding apps/emus. To be honest guys, the main issue I have now is the lack of Google services and the Google PlayStore. I tried to use the Gapps APK and nothing will download. I also tried to apply a custom .zip of GAPPs VIA the built in Nougat recovery menu, it will not install that zip update, I get an error about the package being wrong? Damn, so CLOSE! If I could get proper Google services working on here, that would make the XD Rk3288 device much more usable than using the Legacy 1.8ghz ROM I use now.

Does anyone have that link for the Linux command to install the Play Store? Can someone tell me how to addd Google framework and services to a device with no ability to add Goggle accounts/Play Store?

FYI - The WIFI drops are not too common, so that is not my main issue with this device, Proper ROOT would be nice though. It needs the 1.8ghz OC and the Play Store apps/framework. It is good getting Vulkan and having ANDROID 7.1 is just worlds better for the more modern and demanding emus.

The XD has proper Mail drivers, so Saturn emulation is DAMN good with no glitches like other closed source drivers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:52:03 am by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2019, 02:37:10 am »
So in a nutshell, these are the issues that need to be fixed in order to make this PERFECT.

- Fix WIFI drops
- Fix/Add Google Play/Services/Framework
- Fix/Repair PROPER ROOT for full access even on reboot
- Add 1.8ghz Overclock to the V4 rev ROM for full CPU speed

Anyone have any ideas how this can be done? I am willing to do the edits and get this done, just need some guidance. I wish I could de-compile that ROM, and change the CPU clock values to 1.8ghz, then re-compile. Making some sort of ROOT update .zip for the modified ROM would be great too. Adding Google apps and frameworks to the ROM would be great too. A real problem is the custom recovery options have garbage GUI and do not work right. The SD/USB/NAND partitions will not MOUNT, I get errors every time I use them with this ROM.

I am trying to fix these issues myself, I just need some help. I know people edit ROMs all the time, I am sure I could fix these issues. I could at least recompile that ROM with 1.8ghz OC in the kernel. I also want to add Google services/Play Store, etc. Proper ROOT needs to be fixed too, SU is not working right and after Re-ROOTing on a reboot it is all gone. The Wifi drops are an issue but I have no clue what to do about them.

If anyone has some resources to help me do this, please let me know. I just need to de-compile the ROM and change some vaules then re-compile it. Adding Google services/frameworks and Play Store would be great too. This project needs to at least be finished with the community. The XD has a quite decent RK3288 with proper Mail drivers and emulation could be really good! I would still give credit to those that created these ROMs, etc. I just want to be the hands to get this going and done.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:46:10 am by Radioboy86 »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic