Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 75232 times)

CommanderKitler

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:44 pm »
So, i installed Android 7.1 last night. Wasn't a big fan.

- Many apps are missing from the install such as GAMEPAD APP for ps3/xbox automatic configuration or the google play store.
- Barebones ROM in general; no wallpapers/interface has drastically changed from what most users are used to/doesnt really improve emulation speed either.
- I don't even think it improves standard ghz the XD comes with; 1.6 or 1.8 options are not there.
- MicroSD card is NOT recognized at all. I tried various methods for it to be read, no success.
- Most links for the ROM itself don't exist anymore... i had to research for Psyops links in order to download it in the first place.
- Had difficulty being able to mount the OS to windows 10 initially. Once a certain driver is installed & switching to debugging mode/MTP connection... I was FINALLY able to mount it to windows 10 in Explorer to transfer files.

The ROM works but needs a lot of further development. Also, since rockchip is 32bit, I doubt the latest 7.1 nougat can take advantage of the specs of the XD. If further development is made, I'm for it... but as it stands now, I do NOT recommend it for most users.

I'm changing back to LegacyROM when I get a chance & reset all my apps/settings back to the way they were.

???

The Rom is very barebone and it is probably not gonna change as it is not intended as a replacement for Legacyrom. It is more like a basic framework to build something like legacy rom on top (at least it's gonna be that as soon as all the bugs are ironed out). If this ever reaches a stable state it is probably the best thing that happened to the device since legacyrom as it's trying to merge GPD XD support into the linux kernel. And while we won't see huge performance improvements compared to legacy, having a open source android 7 for the XD gives the device a future it wouldn't have otherwise. We are already experiencing problems with app support (look at kodi or some Retroarch cores like n64 or MAME) and in the future it is gonna get worse with devs abandoning kitkat.

So this project is as impressive as it is important to the future of the device but:

PSA: at the time of writing THIS ROM IS NOT IN A STATE WHERE IT COULD BE USED AS A DAILY DRIVER AND IT IS HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL. It is missing some very needed features and optional stuff you're already used to from using legacyrom. If you're not a developer or at least really curious about vulkan there is no real reason to install this rom.

Some infos about your review:

- The GAMEPAD APP is missing for a reason - the author is trying to get the XD button support merged into the linux kernel removing the need for a gamepad app emulating xbox or ps3 controllers

- Google play store is usually missing from open source roms and needs to be flashed using a Gapps package

- Overclocking is not implemented by default and needs to be implemented into the kernel to work

Our best bet is to keep an eye on the github page and hope this project is going somewhere.

phh (OP)

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:51 am »
FWIW I'm currently very busy with Android 8.0/Project Treble stuff ( cf https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/experimental-phh-treble-t3709659 )

It's fairly unlikely that I'll come back to the GPD XD development any time soon.
Sorry guys

Edit: If someone wants to take this over based on Firefly RK3399 Android 7, I can still help

Skelton-retired

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 11:40:27 am »
Phh are you using the firefly rk3399 SDK that is in their gitlab webpage? Maybe you can upload your SDK in a tarball and maybe someone can take a look and contin?e from there.
Retired

phh (OP)

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
No, I'm using a private rockchip SDK... That's why it would need to start again based on public Firefly RK3399 SDK

Skelton-retired

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
I see. Well, firefly rk3399 in theory includes rk3288 files i guess, so someone should start that way. Not sure about uboot though.
Retired

phh (OP)

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »
For u-boot, this tree works:
https://github.com/rockchip-linux/u-boot/tree/rkproduct (NOT master branch)

ruffnutts

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
Sad times really wanted Android 7 on my XD  :'(

johannes

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2017, 03:57:22 pm »
Me too. I suppose I will sell it and get the Xd plus.

e-ghost

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2018, 05:09:24 am »
May I ask a stupid question?
Since GPD XP+ came with Android 7.0 then can we port it's apps (say, gamepad app / EMU) to this GPD XD Android 7.1 firmware? Will it able to make it works? I really wish we can enable Vulkan for this RK3288 to unleash it true power.

Just a thought. Thanks a lot!

CommanderKitler

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2018, 05:55:55 pm »
May I ask a stupid question?
Since GPD XP+ came with Android 7.0 then can we port it's apps (say, gamepad app / EMU) to this GPD XD Android 7.1 firmware? Will it able to make it works? I really wish we can enable Vulkan for this RK3288 to unleash it true power.

Just a thought. Thanks a lot!

Sadly, no.
While the original and the plus model look the same, the internal components are not that similar at all. Different SoCs, GPUs and drivers means that you can just port vulkan (for instance) between the plus and standard XD. Emulators don't need to be ported but will only work if the developer of the EMU targets android 4.4 or lower. To get vulkan and newer emulators the XD needs only one thing: a newer Android version.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:59:33 pm by CommanderKitler »

Skelton-retired

« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2018, 06:52:25 pm »
In theory this alpha of android 7 support vulkan, but other things didn't work correctly.
Retired

e-ghost

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2018, 04:29:58 am »
Hi CommanderKitler,

Sorry I may ask silly question as I have limited Linux knowledge  :-*. May I ask what components are different? I think phh has provided the big piece in terms of Android 7.1 with CPU and GPU with Vulkan support so running latest EMU should not be a problem? Does it produce sound while playing latest EMU? Can we port the gamepad app from XD+ to this experimental Android 7.1 for XD? (From previous post by phh, seems he intended to put gamepad support in kernel but not yet completed. Then will it give us room to use non-kernel app to add-on gamepad support?)

So what is missed is gamepad, hdmi or propably power management (sleep)? Can we re-use any app from XD+ rom to make it works?

Thanks a lot!

CommanderKitler

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2018, 08:29:52 am »
Well it seems like most of the major issues in the kernel are fixed (v4 seems to be able to suspend) and you could flash the rom and probably run any emulator with vulkan support fine.

As for the Gamepad - it does work it is just lacking an app to emulate ps3/xbox controls or map the buttons in another way (just taking the GPD XD+ gamepad app wont work though as there are differences in how input is handled) if the Emulator used does support input mapping that should not be a problem though. Someone would need to make their own Gamepad app for this rom if needed.

I don't know much about the hdmi - maybe the support yet has to be implemented into the kernel or the rom but I highly doubt any of the GPD XD+ apps will fix that.

there seem to be other issues like the wifi driver not working quite right.

The biggest problem seens to be the rom itself, being pretty much WIP and thats probably not gonna change anytime soon.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »
@skelton @CommanderKitler Since you guys knows a lot about it, i've been thinking. From where this ROM is right now, would it be possible for someone with the proper knowledge resume phh's work and develop it into a fully working version of Android 7.1?

Skelton-retired

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »
Supposedly yes, unless some driver is a bit tricky. But only phh has the private SDK that he used to make this rom. I think he discontinued it though.
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2018, 03:00:45 pm »
Supposedly yes, unless some driver is a bit tricky. But only phh has the private SDK that he used to make this rom. I think he discontinued it though.

So, only the kernel source that he shared won't be enough?

Skelton-retired

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2018, 03:19:09 pm »
that helps of course , (in fact he cherrypicked some things from my kernel, lile LCD timings), but some drivers need userspace libraries that usually come with full SDK. I suppose he cannot share the full source for some reason (a NDA probably), For gamepad he used a different approach, but it is a HID gamepad. The gamepad modes of XD 4.4 can be used too, the driver is in my github.

Anyhow, about Vulkan, only PPSSPP would benefit for it I guess, and maybe retroarch, but that's it. I suppose the biggest improvement would be more android game support. Overclocked seems to be removed from his kernel too (it seems in new RK kernels 4.4x they use speeds in a different manner).

Buy yeah, someone with knowledge, but specially time and motivation could do a 7.1 ROM or even Oreo maybe. I asked GPD several times if they had access to a more modern SDK, but they never replied, probably because that would stop sales (even more, because I don't think it is selling too well) for xd +.
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2018, 03:45:51 pm »
that helps of course , (in fact he cherrypicked some things from my kernel, lile LCD timings), but some drivers need userspace libraries that usually come with full SDK. I suppose he cannot share the full source for some reason (a NDA probably), For gamepad he used a different approach, but it is a HID gamepad. The gamepad modes of XD 4.4 can be used too, the driver is in my github.

Anyhow, about Vulkan, only PPSSPP would benefit for it I guess, and maybe retroarch, but that's it. I suppose the biggest improvement would be more android game support. Overclocked seems to be removed from his kernel too (it seems in new RK kernels 4.4x they use speeds in a different manner).

Buy yeah, someone with knowledge, but specially time and motivation could do a 7.1 ROM or even Oreo maybe. I asked GPD several times if they had access to a more modern SDK, but they never replied, probably because that would stop sales (even more, because I don't think it is selling too well) for xd +.

Thanks for the information, Skelton. Although kitkat isn't really so outdated right now it would extend the original XD lifespan a little bit with a newer android version. Honestly i don't think that this could happen. Maybe black seraph could be interested with a patreon campaign, but i was disappointed that so many people had downloaded the original legacy rom, but almost no one donated.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:14 pm »
Well, that happens unfortunately. Maybe GPD or a seller can send a device to Black Seraph or developer Rafaboom (which is developing for xiaomi mi pad 3 and showed interest on discord), for newer firmwares for Xd or Xd plus- In the case of Xd plus at least a firmware that currenty works ok, because it still seems a beta.....?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:47:46 pm by skelton »
Retired

Radioboy86

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:47 am »
I just tried this have it working but NO SOUND? Can anyone help?