Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 73888 times)

ruffnutts

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2017, 11:25:08 pm »
New release (v4):
https://we.tl/QZVjd1QWe8

Now suspend works. I haven't tested battery life, perhaps suspend is useless at the moment.
Please note that wifi is killed by suspend, so you'll need to reboot after suspend to get wifi back.
I had to disable DDR frequency scaling, I'm a bit afraid of the results, both in performance and battery life...

I also have a GPD Q9. I think porting should be easy.
Are there some people interested in its support?

I know there's no mapping tool but what about the gamepad app that selects the ps3 driver or xbox? thanks for you hard work btw  8)

HercTNT

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 04:44:16 am »
New release (v4):
https://we.tl/QZVjd1QWe8

Now suspend works. I haven't tested battery life, perhaps suspend is useless at the moment.
Please note that wifi is killed by suspend, so you'll need to reboot after suspend to get wifi back.
I had to disable DDR frequency scaling, I'm a bit afraid of the results, both in performance and battery life...

I also have a GPD Q9. I think porting should be easy.
Are there some people interested in its support?

I would. I have a q9 and would love to see this.

phh (OP)

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2017, 09:41:46 am »
Quote from: PsyOps
+ I noticed the power light is now green and not a shady orange color, im guessing something is working better now
Erm sorry, but green means it doesn't suspend. The LED should be off when in suspned
- Google Play does not work, it keeps crashing and wont connect. Doesnt work properly, crashes a bunch.
Erm, works for me

- SD card still comes up with error - doesn't read it right - It was a 128gb Fat32 MicroSD card that didnt work. My 2gb MicroSD Fat32 works fine. Don't know if that helps.
That might help indeed, I'll check that, thanks.

I know there's no mapping tool but what about the gamepad app that selects the ps3 driver or xbox? thanks for you hard work btw  8)
Nope, ps3/xbox was done in driver, and it's a brand new driver, so the app won't be compatible.

Ok, I'll see what I can do. (Though I'll do not as many releases, it's too annoying to build both)

The gms file you had posted, I tried installing it but it gave a bunch of "Command not found".
It requires to have adb installed system-wide (apt install adb)

NightStorm1000

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2017, 10:05:16 am »
Wow! Thats great! Android 7.1 on my GPD XD. Now I can finally use Parsec on it to play all my PC Games on it. Moonlight was way to Laggy.

Thank you so much for your effords

irwannasit

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2017, 11:21:12 am »
Looks promising. Keep it up!

Sent from my ASUS_T00N using Tapatalk

phh (OP)

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:56 pm »
Wow! Thats great! Android 7.1 on my GPD XD. Now I can finally use Parsec on it to play all my PC Games on it. Moonlight was way to Laggy.
This looks cool.
Have you tested it?
What's their pricing model? I can't see any price anywhere
Or they are getting money from Amazon/Paperspace when you rent a computer there?

Edit: Ah... they only support Windows as a host... Not for me then
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:26:59 pm by phh »

ruffnutts

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:14 pm »
After you stabilize the build more, are you planning on clocking the cpu at 1.8GHz. It says its currently running at 1.6GHz. Or maybe have a second release?

Good Question, like to see a releae with google play built in and root  8)

ker

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:46 am »

O_O Didn't know about Parsec. I've just connected a GPD Win to my PC and it works great!!! I'll try it in a Rpi3 this weekend

Do you know if Android client has any kind of virtual controler? I've tried it in a mobile but I cannot see any option.

It would be awesome to run it in our GPD XD!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

HercTNT

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2017, 09:31:43 am »
+ I noticed the power light is now green and not a shady orange color, im guessing something is working better now
Erm sorry, but green means it doesn't suspend. The LED should be off when in suspned
- Google Play does not work, it keeps crashing and wont connect. Doesnt work properly, crashes a bunch.
Erm, works for me

- SD card still comes up with error - doesn't read it right - It was a 128gb Fat32 MicroSD card that didnt work. My 2gb MicroSD Fat32 works fine. Don't know if that helps.
That might help indeed, I'll check that, thanks.

Nope, ps3/xbox was done in driver, and it's a brand new driver, so the app won't be compatible.

Ok, I'll see what I can do. (Though I'll do not as many releases, it's too annoying to build both)

The gms file you had posted, I tried installing it but it gave a bunch of "Command not found".
It requires to have adb installed system-wide (apt install adb)
I completely understand. It's not really worth creating a build just for two people. Even more so, if it does not have google play in the custom rom it would not be of a lot of use to me either. I would appreciate anything you can do and thank you in general for trying :)

NightStorm1000

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2017, 11:26:20 pm »
This looks cool.
Have you tested it?
Or they are getting money from Amazon/Paperspace when you rent a computer there?

The Programm itself is Free. You can either rent a Cloud PC from Somewhere over the Parsec Marketplace http://parsec.tv/add-computer/rent or download the Software and install it on your PC to Act as a Host.
The Dev said on Discord that they gonna support Linux as a Host in a few Weeks from Today

O_O Didn't know about Parsec. I've just connected a GPD Win to my PC and it works great!!! I'll try it in a Rpi3 this weekend

Do you know if Android client has any kind of virtual controler? I've tried it in a mobile but I cannot see any option.

Didn't find any myself. The Android Client is pretty much a Alpha right now and the Devs said that they gonna improve it very soon.

You can Vote on Android 4.4 Support if you want: https://parsec.canny.io/feedback/p/android-44-support-gpd-devices
There you can also create a feature Request for the Onscreen Gamepad if you want.

ker

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 02:12:17 pm »
This looks cool.
Have you tested it?

The Programm itself is Free. You can either rent a Cloud PC from Somewhere over the Parsec Marketplace http://parsec.tv/add-computer/rent or download the Software and install it on your PC to Act as a Host.
The Dev said on Discord that they gonna support Linux as a Host in a few Weeks from Today

Didn't find any myself. The Android Client is pretty much a Alpha right now and the Devs said that they gonna improve it very soon.

You can Vote on Android 4.4 Support if you want: https://parsec.canny.io/feedback/p/android-44-support-gpd-devices
There you can also create a feature Request for the Onscreen Gamepad if you want.
Done!

Karoi

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2017, 12:40:48 pm »
Can someone explain me what I need to flash this? I'm on LegacyROM now and I want to try this out and help by providing feedback. But I can't seem to find which program I need to use to flash the v4 image. Thanks!

ruffnutts

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Any progress on this?  ;D ;D ;D

chikcne

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2017, 02:47:24 am »
I'm interested in this, PPPSSPP now supports Vulkan so Vulkan support is always welcome.

Has anyone tried it out with PPSSPP yet?

johannes

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »
Any news about this?

jpapex

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 10:29:04 pm »
Also replying to see if this project is still alive. Now that we have Vulkan support, I'm hoping Battlefront II (PSP) will run a little smoother in ppsspp.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2017, 12:00:49 pm »
Latest commit were from 17 october. We should keep some realistic expectations about it.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 08:53:11 am »
I'm gonna attempt to install this ROM... see what happens... lol.

xdplus fanatic-oopsy

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2017, 11:02:33 pm »
So, i installed Android 7.1 last night. Wasn't a big fan.

- Many apps are missing from the install such as GAMEPAD APP for ps3/xbox automatic configuration or the google play store.
- Barebones ROM in general; no wallpapers/interface has drastically changed from what most users are used to/doesnt really improve emulation speed either.
- I don't even think it improves standard ghz the XD comes with; 1.6 or 1.8 options are not there.
- MicroSD card is NOT recognized at all. I tried various methods for it to be read, no success.
- Most links for the ROM itself don't exist anymore... i had to research for Psyops links in order to download it in the first place.
- Had difficulty being able to mount the OS to windows 10 initially. Once a certain driver is installed & switching to debugging mode/MTP connection... I was FINALLY able to mount it to windows 10 in Explorer to transfer files.

The ROM works but needs a lot of further development. Also, since rockchip is 32bit, I doubt the latest 7.1 nougat can take advantage of the specs of the XD. If further development is made, I'm for it... but as it stands now, I do NOT recommend it for most users.

I'm changing back to LegacyROM when I get a chance & reset all my apps/settings back to the way they were.

???

SynbiosZero

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:11 am »
So, i installed Android 7.1 last night. Wasn't a big fan.

- Many apps are missing from the install such as GAMEPAD APP for ps3/xbox automatic configuration or the google play store.
- Barebones ROM in general; no wallpapers/interface has drastically changed from what most users are used to/doesnt really improve emulation speed either.
- I don't even think it improves standard ghz the XD comes with; 1.6 or 1.8 options are not there.
- MicroSD card is NOT recognized at all. I tried various methods for it to be read, no success.
- Most links for the ROM itself don't exist anymore... i had to research for Psyops links in order to download it in the first place.
- Had difficulty being able to mount the OS to windows 10 initially. Once a certain driver is installed & switching to debugging mode/MTP connection... I was FINALLY able to mount it to windows 10 in Explorer to transfer files.

The ROM works but needs a lot of further development. Also, since rockchip is 32bit, I doubt the latest 7.1 nougat can take advantage of the specs of the XD. If further development is made, I'm for it... but as it stands now, I do NOT recommend it for most users.

I'm changing back to LegacyROM when I get a chance & reset all my apps/settings back to the way they were.

???

Thank you for the review, I was planning to test latest version, I want to use MAME core (Retroarch) with latest version (which doesnt work on KitKat) and Vulkan (PPSSPP), but I need a full-working OS... Thanks for your time testing it ;)

And thanks to the people behind porting this Android version, maybe one day we all can update our XDs with all we have now on KitKat! :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:36:37 am by SynbiosZero »

Post a new topic