Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 47723 times)

PsyOps

• Section Eight
Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2017, 10:24:27 am »
How goes it phh? any testing you need done?

Things i would like to see (high priority):
- Fix the sd card issue.
- somehow get twrp to work - someone tried and it didnt pick up partition correctly ( maybe format whatever partitions in ext4 like system.img ?? )

lower priority:
- Preroot
- gms installed
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:05:50 pm by PsyOps »

ruffnutts

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
Any progress on this?  ;D ;D ;D

chikcne

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2017, 02:47:24 am »
I'm interested in this, PPPSSPP now supports Vulkan so Vulkan support is always welcome.

Has anyone tried it out with PPSSPP yet?

johannes

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »
Any news about this?

jpapex

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2017, 10:29:04 pm »
Also replying to see if this project is still alive. Now that we have Vulkan support, I'm hoping Battlefront II (PSP) will run a little smoother in ppsspp.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2017, 12:00:49 pm »
Latest commit were from 17 october. We should keep some realistic expectations about it.

Jenova

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2017, 08:53:11 am »
I'm gonna attempt to install this ROM... see what happens... lol.

Jenova

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2017, 11:02:33 pm »
So, i installed Android 7.1 last night. Wasn't a big fan.

- Many apps are missing from the install such as GAMEPAD APP for ps3/xbox automatic configuration or the google play store.
- Barebones ROM in general; no wallpapers/interface has drastically changed from what most users are used to/doesnt really improve emulation speed either.
- I don't even think it improves standard ghz the XD comes with; 1.6 or 1.8 options are not there.
- MicroSD card is NOT recognized at all. I tried various methods for it to be read, no success.
- Most links for the ROM itself don't exist anymore... i had to research for Psyops links in order to download it in the first place.
- Had difficulty being able to mount the OS to windows 10 initially. Once a certain driver is installed & switching to debugging mode/MTP connection... I was FINALLY able to mount it to windows 10 in Explorer to transfer files.

The ROM works but needs a lot of further development. Also, since rockchip is 32bit, I doubt the latest 7.1 nougat can take advantage of the specs of the XD. If further development is made, I'm for it... but as it stands now, I do NOT recommend it for most users.

I'm changing back to LegacyROM when I get a chance & reset all my apps/settings back to the way they were.

???

SynbiosZero

« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2017, 12:34:11 am »

- Many apps are missing from the install such as GAMEPAD APP for ps3/xbox automatic configuration or the google play store.
- Barebones ROM in general; no wallpapers/interface has drastically changed from what most users are used to/doesnt really improve emulation speed either.
- I don't even think it improves standard ghz the XD comes with; 1.6 or 1.8 options are not there.
- MicroSD card is NOT recognized at all. I tried various methods for it to be read, no success.
- Most links for the ROM itself don't exist anymore... i had to research for Psyops links in order to download it in the first place.
- Had difficulty being able to mount the OS to windows 10 initially. Once a certain driver is installed & switching to debugging mode/MTP connection... I was FINALLY able to mount it to windows 10 in Explorer to transfer files.

The ROM works but needs a lot of further development. Also, since rockchip is 32bit, I doubt the latest 7.1 nougat can take advantage of the specs of the XD. If further development is made, I'm for it... but as it stands now, I do NOT recommend it for most users.

I'm changing back to LegacyROM when I get a chance & reset all my apps/settings back to the way they were.

???

Thank you for the review, I was planning to test latest version, I want to use MAME core (Retroarch) with latest version (which doesnt work on KitKat) and Vulkan (PPSSPP), but I need a full-working OS... Thanks for your time testing it ;)

And thanks to the people behind porting this Android version, maybe one day we all can update our XDs with all we have now on KitKat! :D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:36:37 am by SynbiosZero »

CommanderKitler

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:44 pm »

???

The Rom is very barebone and it is probably not gonna change as it is not intended as a replacement for Legacyrom. It is more like a basic framework to build something like legacy rom on top (at least it's gonna be that as soon as all the bugs are ironed out). If this ever reaches a stable state it is probably the best thing that happened to the device since legacyrom as it's trying to merge GPD XD support into the linux kernel. And while we won't see huge performance improvements compared to legacy, having a open source android 7 for the XD gives the device a future it wouldn't have otherwise. We are already experiencing problems with app support (look at kodi or some Retroarch cores like n64 or MAME) and in the future it is gonna get worse with devs abandoning kitkat.

So this project is as impressive as it is important to the future of the device but:

PSA: at the time of writing THIS ROM IS NOT IN A STATE WHERE IT COULD BE USED AS A DAILY DRIVER AND IT IS HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL. It is missing some very needed features and optional stuff you're already used to from using legacyrom. If you're not a developer or at least really curious about vulkan there is no real reason to install this rom.

Some infos about your review:

- The GAMEPAD APP is missing for a reason - the author is trying to get the XD button support merged into the linux kernel removing the need for a gamepad app emulating xbox or ps3 controllers

- Google play store is usually missing from open source roms and needs to be flashed using a Gapps package

- Overclocking is not implemented by default and needs to be implemented into the kernel to work

Our best bet is to keep an eye on the github page and hope this project is going somewhere.

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2017, 10:03:02 pm »
uh what commander said hehe.

Anyone testing it is just supposed to root around android and see if there are any bugs. Right from the start PHH mentioned he is hoping to release this in hopes that someone LIKE skelton ( he is retired ) would pick it up and develop a rom for it.

baby steps.

phh (OP)

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:51 am »
FWIW I'm currently very busy with Android 8.0/Project Treble stuff ( cf https://forum.xda-developers.com/project-treble/trebleenabled-device-development/experimental-phh-treble-t3709659 )

It's fairly unlikely that I'll come back to the GPD XD development any time soon.
Sorry guys

Edit: If someone wants to take this over based on Firefly RK3399 Android 7, I can still help

skelton

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2017, 11:40:27 am »
Phh are you using the firefly rk3399 SDK that is in their gitlab webpage? Maybe you can upload your SDK in a tarball and maybe someone can take a look and contin?e from there.
Retired

phh (OP)

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »
No, I'm using a private rockchip SDK... That's why it would need to start again based on public Firefly RK3399 SDK

skelton

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »
I see. Well, firefly rk3399 in theory includes rk3288 files i guess, so someone should start that way. Not sure about uboot though.
Retired

phh (OP)

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »
For u-boot, this tree works:
https://github.com/rockchip-linux/u-boot/tree/rkproduct (NOT master branch)

ruffnutts

« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
Sad times really wanted Android 7 on my XD  :'(

johannes

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2017, 03:57:22 pm »
Me too. I suppose I will sell it and get the Xd plus.

e-ghost

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2018, 05:09:24 am »
May I ask a stupid question?
Since GPD XP+ came with Android 7.0 then can we port it's apps (say, gamepad app / EMU) to this GPD XD Android 7.1 firmware? Will it able to make it works? I really wish we can enable Vulkan for this RK3288 to unleash it true power.

Just a thought. Thanks a lot!

CommanderKitler

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2018, 05:55:55 pm »
May I ask a stupid question?
Since GPD XP+ came with Android 7.0 then can we port it's apps (say, gamepad app / EMU) to this GPD XD Android 7.1 firmware? Will it able to make it works? I really wish we can enable Vulkan for this RK3288 to unleash it true power.

Just a thought. Thanks a lot!

Sadly, no.
While the original and the plus model look the same, the internal components are not that similar at all. Different SoCs, GPUs and drivers means that you can just port vulkan (for instance) between the plus and standard XD. Emulators don't need to be ported but will only work if the developer of the EMU targets android 4.4 or lower. To get vulkan and newer emulators the XD needs only one thing: a newer Android version.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:59:33 pm by CommanderKitler »

Post a new topic