Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 47733 times)

phh (OP)

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 09:42:10 pm »
About the kernel, there are things different from mine, joystick driver is different (no adc.js which I use in my kernel) so no ps3/xbox/null modes I guess.
Yup, I'd like to be able to push GPD XD support into Linux mainline, so no ps3/xbox emulation will be allowed.
Though, what I'm currently trying to do, is to make an Android application handle all gamepad => game stuff (either ps3/xbox emulation, or touchscreen emulation, ...)
This way it will work on all (rooted) Android devices/gamepad, not just GPD XD :P

My feeling is that this ROM is made using or porting firefly RK3399 SDK to RK3288. As far as I know, RK3288 SDK for nougat is beta and full of bugs, even the RK3399 is full of bugs. But that's just my guess. The maker of this rom is the one that can explain which one is using, because I only see kernel but not a device tree, so I suppose is firefly SDK and not aosp, but no idea because I don't have an XD to test or to help with the development
Well, that's not exactly firefly's rk3399 SDK, that's from another private SDK, but it looks really close.
I'll try to make something that works based on firefly rk3399's SDK, so that I can share all my changes.
So thanks for pointing me to this direction :-)

For the details of the work needed:
Rockchip dropped support for the PMIC, the WiFi chip, the audio chip, the touchscreen of the GPD XD.
For all of those, the code is actually there, but hasn't been updated for Linux 4.4

For the PMIC, I've actually sent mainline a basic support, so that's what I've integrated there.
It's still missing a lot. I'll keep working on the PMIC anyway to get a better mainline driver,
but I think it would be much faster to get a fully working device if someone just fixes Rockchip's code for it.

For the WiFi chip, I did some changes to make it build, changed a build init logic, and it seems to work, but I'm expecting bugs.

For audio, the good thing is that rockchip moved to a mainline method, and that our codec is supported in mainline!
So only minor configuration changes are required.

For the touchscreen, it has mainline support, I just had to enable it in kernel config \o/

For accelerometer, there is both a rockchip and mainline support. I need to switch to rockchip support, so that it works in Android.

For those who want to compare my kernel to rockchip's, do the delta with https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel branch release-4.4
You'll notice there are actually really little changes.

skelton

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:42 pm »
Oh I see, well if it's private SDK I suppose you cannot share it. Though if it's from rockchip it won't be much different from firefly RK3399, because in the end all manufacturers just clone the repo that Rockchip provides to them, including GPD.

About the app you mention, try Tincore keymapper, basically it is what you want to do I think, since it can emulate several gamepads (xbox, ps3, mofa, shield etc.)

About SDK, the last thing I heard from GPD is that rockchip is dropping support for RK3288 because they are gonna stop producing them. No idea if it's true or not (it makes sense because GPD XD will be upgraded with a different SoC), but I suppose rockchip want to focus on RK3399,, which still needs a lot of love, I tested a firefly RK3399 with android 7.1 and was quite dissaspointing, and their linux distro ran pretty bad too. So I guess rockchip still has work to do.

The firefly RK3399 SDK is here if you want to take a look, though it's buggy.

https://gitlab.com/TeeFirefly/FireNow-Nougat/tree/Firefly-RK3399_Android7.1.1_MP_170829

Android M runs a bit better, but not so much.

Good luck with the development. Now that I am retired I am happy to see new people making firmwares for these devices.

Edit: Because of some mistakes using my english, but I am from Spain and my english is far from perfect, specially when I post using my phone LOL

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:07:30 pm by skelton »
Retired

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 08:02:18 am »
How about you CommanderKitler? any update on your situation?

CommanderKitler

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 04:53:54 am »
How about you CommanderKitler? any update on your situation?

As I said, I gonna open up a new thread if find I anything groundbreaking.

Only thing I can confirm right now is that draining the battery doesn't help in any way. Not a surprise though as I had it hooked up to the PC without the battery out of curiosity when I opened it up earlier and even then the only thing happening was the green led. The only thing interesting is that it does take a while for the green light to come up when the battery is drained (probably because it needs to have a certain charge to power up) but it comes up instantly without the battery installed. Maybe that's a quirk of the rk3288, usually most android devices don't respond at all when the battery is not installed.

The electronics guy I know is on holiday right now but he should be back next week so I gonna see to that then. Sucks that I messed up my XD but this could be an interesting opportunity to get some more information about the device. Anyways, don't worry, I gonna keep you guys in the loop :).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:21:05 am by CommanderKitler »

chent7

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:22 pm »
There's just no way to get this to boot into the os for now

I tried repacking and flashing with imgRePackerRK, RK3xxx firmware tools 5.78.35.00, RKBatchTool 1.8, AndroidTool_Release_v2.38. Always ended up with the same thing, the recovery pops up for a few seconds with "erasing" and then black screen
EDIT: or there's just a black screen, I'm pretty lucky for not bricking my xd

I am not familiar with rockchip roms at all, hopefully someone will figure this out ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:20:15 pm by chent7 »

phh (OP)

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:12 pm »
Ok ok I'll make a non sparse-image...

Here it is:
http://dl.free.fr/mzOZDYNBB
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:13:52 pm by phh »

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:49 pm »
yes we would appreciate a build that works on gpd xd. much appreciated.

Jutleys

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 11:42:25 am »
Anyone tried flashing the .img with rocktool flasher yet? will it flash?

Jutleys

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 11:47:01 am »
Ok ok I'll make a non sparse-image...

Here it is:
http://dl.free.fr/mzOZDYNBB

We would love you to keep working on this and get it working perfect gpd xd needs a updated rom bad there are many users out there inc me.I am willing to donate if we can get this at least a usable state and i am sure many will follow keep up the great work great project.

ruffnutts

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 09:39:59 pm »
Like to see a video of it working on the XD, I'm not just goner flash a untested ROM :)

Would love to see an updated ROM to atlest Android M so I can run Romflix  ;)

chent7

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 10:20:37 pm »
Left my PC running the whole night downloading the 2.08 gig rom file :'( :'(

I flashed the rom file this morning, however i'm still getting the black screen after the recovery message.

I left my 64gig XD on the charger, i'm probably gonna give it half a day until i'm done with uni. Then I'll force restart it to see if it works.
I might also unpack and poke around the files  ;)

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:06 pm »
Black screen for me too.
Tried going into recovery and factory reset, but still get a black screen. Maybe there is another way to flash the fw. Either way I can't play with it too much atm. I am flashing back and forth so much already.

chent7

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 12:08:03 am »
Most likely it should be done with a flash tool most people are unaware of.
I havent been using my xd as much since im sick of jellybean.
As long as changes keep coming I'm very happy to do some flashing and testing.

ruffnutts

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 10:43:30 am »
So why are you running jellybean when kitkat is avalible or am I missing something, btw I hope we get a working Android 7 rom  8)

chent7

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »
So why are you running jellybean when kitkat is avalible or am I missing something, btw I hope we get a working Android 7 rom  8)

Totally meant kitkat... I should stick with numbers next time :-[

phh (OP)

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
I've realized the vendor partition was also sparsed.
This time, I've tested the generated image on legacy flash tool, so it should really work for everyone... I hope...
Here it is:
https://we.tl/scAC1QvfSi

Here are the changes of this version:
- Changed LCD init order ( https://github.com/phhusson/linux/commit/23db2b0a5a3799c3c7de81118a9d2ea1ee83bba8 )
- Changed system.img to 1GB
- vendor0.img is no longer sparsed

ruffnutts

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »
@phh Do you have a GPD XD?

P.S Who's got the balls to try it lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:14:28 pm by ruffnutts »

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 08:25:57 pm »
Flashed and it loaded.

Anything you need tested or anything I can do with this to help you figure stuff out?

ruffnutts

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 08:29:05 pm »
Flashed and it loaded.

Anything you need tested or anything I can do with this to help you figure stuff out?

So share some pics what's working and whats not ect :)

PsyOps

• Section Eight
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 08:44:45 pm »
I am not too familiar with 7.0 so I have to figure this stuff out.
It flashed, loaded and I am just looking to see if it has PlayStore added.

First thing I noticed is I just formatted my SD Card is exfat for experimenting with twrp and legacy rom, and when I loaded 7.1 it says my card is damaged and I need to reformat. So I may reformat it using the samsung app that is installed in this 7.1.

Ill see if i can figure out a way to screenshot.

I also noticed while I was browsing in whatever browser it has installed, it kind of did a softreboot i think, like a crash and then went to lock screen. For a bit it looked like the bottom right of the screen was flickering. It seems to have gone away.

Post a new topic