Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 75951 times)

chent7

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:10 am »
FWIW the firmware is already rooted, you just need to call adb root
So with adb remount, you should be able to install a SU in /system

Just realized how incredibly stupid i was for not reading properly through the posts...
Thanks for that.

ruffnutts

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 03:17:48 pm »
@phh are you still wotking on the rom?

phh (OP)

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 05:04:43 pm »
Slowly, but yes

phh (OP)

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 11:12:08 pm »
New version, with audio output, power button, battery gauge and at least suspend doesn't kill the device (though it doesn't really suspend)
https://we.tl/pGtSwK5c77

BelaGuez

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 06:40:40 am »
Registered on this board after a few days of lurking just to say keep it up phh!!!

ruffnutts

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
New version, with audio output, power button, battery gauge and at least suspend doesn't kill the device (though it doesn't really suspend)
https://we.tl/pGtSwK5c77

Might be wise to post new versions in the original post at the start, phh thanks for your hard work :)

phh (OP)

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 04:54:52 pm »
Unless I failed, I did this time

phh (OP)

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 07:50:47 pm »
Hum, the file looks too small, I guess I failed the upload

phh (OP)

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 11:52:34 pm »
Ok for keeping old versions.
Could you mirror them and give me the URL?

The error was a PEBKAC, I upload a really old file :)
I've refreshed the op with the correct firmware
All firmwares I'll send will be compatible with the old flash tool.

Since my changes for the PMIC (= power button + battery gauge), I'm experiencing a lot of screen init issue
Because of this, I recommend not to use the current version

Thanks for your comments, that's helpful.
Perhaps if I get the motivation, I'll ask you to validate before sending updates :)

illuminerdi

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2017, 01:38:28 am »
You are a hero for doing this, thank you so much. I'm still waiting for it to be a bit more stable but I'm definitely onboard with what you're doing, thanks so much for all your hard work in bringing Android 7 to the XD!!

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2017, 12:48:50 pm »
That's amazing and i hope you will keep working on it, phh. You probably noticed that the XD development is gone, and since GPD had the terrible idea of releasing a new XD with a new soc this will probably be the only chance for the original XD users for having a new Android version. Also thanks PsyOps for the help you're giving to him.

chent7

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 01:34:09 pm »
So...I tired installing SuperSU. Kept getting bootloops. If anyone edit the batch file and look at the section I have commented out, that's where the problem is.

logcat: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_PWaYbCn_Ped2dueXFWMDVxVzA

I did get it to work eventually, and both flashfire and xposed works.
However, in some cases you may lose root access and you have to run the script with adb debugging.
A FACTORY RESET IS NOT NEEDED
DO NOT UPDATE THE BINARY IT WILL CAUSE BOOTLOOPS

The link is here (windows only): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_PWaYbCn_PebEZ2VkxVUFpGX0U

Google Play Store can be flashed after this with flashfire for someone without a linux machine

If someone can figure out something I didn't notice to implement SuperSU fully please let me know  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:38:46 pm by chent7 »

Skelton-retired

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 03:05:00 pm »
That's amazing and i hope you will keep working on it, phh. You probably noticed that the XD development is gone, and since GPD had the terrible idea of releasing a new XD with a new soc this will probably be the only chance for the original XD users for having a new Android version. Also thanks PsyOps for the help you're giving to him.
Well, it's not that GPD had that idea. they are forced to do it, because RK3288 will be out of stock. So current XD was going to end manufacturing anyway. New model will be called XDS and will use an hexa core MTK, the same that comes with xiaomi mi pad 3. They have a proto ready to test.
I am not defending GPD though, I understand your point they could release a new android version for RK3288, although they had issues to get a perfect stable firmware as far as they told me, so I suppose they resigned for that reason. They never gave me a recent SDK yo try to port it by myself, so I am late to the party.
No idea what mali libs use this 7.1 release, I hope they are different from the ones used in LP or android M, because Saturn emulation works bad with them. But maybe the SDK phh has in his possesion has new ones provided  by RK.
I am not confident with new XD model anyway, unless is too cheap the GPD WIN is a much better device in all means, and even if it's more expensive, it costs every penny,
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:09:30 pm by skelton »
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2017, 04:04:31 pm »
Hi Skelton, thanks for sharing these informations. Sorry phh about going offtopic, but my criticism about what GPD is doing is that this device should have a completely different name (kind of have it by using XDS), and also a different design as well. I'm saying this because here in Brazil most of the people had just began to know the XD by the beginning of the year. Funny thing is that the biggest complain is regarding Android 4.4 which many people are calling heavily outdated. Since most of the chinese stores which are advertising still have the original in stock i guess many uninformed will end up flashing the XDS firmware into the XD. That's why i call it a bad move.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:13:03 pm by tiagao_extremo »

Skelton-retired

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2017, 04:16:33 pm »
Don't worry, MTK firmware files cannot be flashed in RK ones, so I don't think people brick them. The XD is almost two years old, and the RK3288 is even older, so I suppose that if rockchip stps producing them, GPD is forced to change it. I suppose the name change would help to avoid the confussion I guess.
Retired

c4ffeineaddict

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2017, 11:21:19 pm »
Well, it's not that GPD had that idea. they are forced to do it, because RK3288 will be out of stock. So current XD was going to end manufacturing anyway. New model will be called XDS and will use an hexa core MTK, the same that comes with xiaomi mi pad 3. They have a proto ready to test.

Where did you read this?  I've tried looking for info on XDS/XD 2 and haven't been able to find anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skelton-retired

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:34 am »

Where did you read this?  I've tried looking for info on XDS/XD 2 and haven't been able to find anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A GPD developer told me about it.
Retired

typingsux

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »
This is cool  :o

phh (OP)

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:59 pm »
New release (v4):
https://we.tl/QZVjd1QWe8

Now suspend works. I haven't tested battery life, perhaps suspend is useless at the moment.
Please note that wifi is killed by suspend, so you'll need to reboot after suspend to get wifi back.
I had to disable DDR frequency scaling, I'm a bit afraid of the results, both in performance and battery life...

I also have a GPD Q9. I think porting should be easy.
Are there some people interested in its support?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:06:12 pm by phh »

jackal27

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2017, 10:24:10 pm »

DAMN. I just KNEW they were going to release a new GPD XD right after I finally bought one. Uuuuuuugh.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic