• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD  (Read 68294 times)

Radioboy86

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] Android 7.1 for GPD XD
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2019, 01:22:16 am »
I got it working no worries, good ROM honestly, Wifi drops are only issues I see, feels faster than the 1.8ghz Legacy ROM I usually use. Some apps do not work, like the Play Store and some other emulators like Classicboy, etc... Still, Most of the main ones do work fine. This gives new life to any GPD XD! Nice to have some support for the XD Rk3288 and get Vulkan going for once! Great work!

FYI - Black Seraph's GPD WIN - Android Oreo ROM is incredible... SUPPORT HIM! N64 Emulation is flawless and Vigilante 8 runs perfect with 12 cars on screen no glitches! It has issues too, but is more powerful than any android handheld I have tried to date. I guess that z8700 ATOM is decent with a x86 build of Oreo!

Radioboy86

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2019, 05:42:08 am »
Hey can someone link me the PLAY STORE file that was deleted off the sharing site? It is gone now.

Radioboy86

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2019, 05:42:49 am »
- Play Store: https://we.tl/yzZZ2mKb27 run install.sh (linux-only script, sorry)

That file is what I need

ker

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2019, 03:27:35 pm »
I got it working no worries, good ROM honestly, Wifi drops are only issues I see, feels faster than the 1.8ghz Legacy ROM I usually use. Some apps do not work, like the Play Store and some other emulators like Classicboy, etc... Still, Most of the main ones do work fine. This gives new life to any GPD XD! Nice to have some support for the XD Rk3288 and get Vulkan going for once! Great work!

FYI - Black Seraph's GPD WIN - Android Oreo ROM is incredible... SUPPORT HIM! N64 Emulation is flawless and Vigilante 8 runs perfect with 12 cars on screen no glitches! It has issues too, but is more powerful than any android handheld I have tried to date. I guess that z8700 ATOM is decent with a x86 build of Oreo!
Does Steam Link app work in this rom?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Radioboy86

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2019, 08:44:33 pm »
ROM works well enough, but all the the Google Apps, framework are missing, the root is all messed up too. Sadly the app support is not the most current too. BUT, Yaba Sanshiro 2.60 runs most games almost PERFECT on Nougat.

If ROOT could be fixed and the Goggle Apps could be installed, this ROM would only have 2 main  issues, WIFI drops, and the Bootloader screen garbage issues in the UI.

Radioboy86

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2019, 08:47:12 pm »
Sadly the XD RK3288 is not getting too much love now. It is ashamed... If this kernel had Skelton's OC to 1.8ghz and a proper config for the app store and proper ROOT, the XD would have NEW LIFE in support. Sucks honestly... RK3288 is not hard to develop for, I however suck at dev and any attempt I have made to dump/compile my own ROMs has been futile. I just do not have the smarts like our friend Skelton, other hackers out there :(

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2019, 12:10:49 am »
Thanks for letting us know your experience with this rom. It's really a shame that this rom didn't developed any further. It's funny considering right now that the XD Plus has some problems with Yaba Sanshiro and the newer versions worked with no issues for the original. Skelton is retired from android development. Maybe Black Seraph could be interested into creating a patreon for this development, but is there someone who still owns the original GPD XD?

Radioboy86

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2019, 02:31:05 am »
Well I figured out to change my default resolution and DPI without needing proper root, so honestly, I do not need it fully ROOTed now. I only ever use ROOT for Overclocking/CPU control + changing higher resolution/dpi for the more demanding apps/emus. To be honest guys, the main issue I have now is the lack of Google services and the Google PlayStore. I tried to use the Gapps APK and nothing will download. I also tried to apply a custom .zip of GAPPs VIA the built in Nougat recovery menu, it will not install that zip update, I get an error about the package being wrong? Damn, so CLOSE! If I could get proper Google services working on here, that would make the XD Rk3288 device much more usable than using the Legacy 1.8ghz ROM I use now.

Does anyone have that link for the Linux command to install the Play Store? Can someone tell me how to addd Google framework and services to a device with no ability to add Goggle accounts/Play Store?

FYI - The WIFI drops are not too common, so that is not my main issue with this device, Proper ROOT would be nice though. It needs the 1.8ghz OC and the Play Store apps/framework. It is good getting Vulkan and having ANDROID 7.1 is just worlds better for the more modern and demanding emus.

The XD has proper Mail drivers, so Saturn emulation is DAMN good with no glitches like other closed source drivers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:52:03 am by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2019, 02:37:10 am »
So in a nutshell, these are the issues that need to be fixed in order to make this PERFECT.

- Fix WIFI drops
- Fix/Add Google Play/Services/Framework
- Fix/Repair PROPER ROOT for full access even on reboot
- Add 1.8ghz Overclock to the V4 rev ROM for full CPU speed

Anyone have any ideas how this can be done? I am willing to do the edits and get this done, just need some guidance. I wish I could de-compile that ROM, and change the CPU clock values to 1.8ghz, then re-compile. Making some sort of ROOT update .zip for the modified ROM would be great too. Adding Google apps and frameworks to the ROM would be great too. A real problem is the custom recovery options have garbage GUI and do not work right. The SD/USB/NAND partitions will not MOUNT, I get errors every time I use them with this ROM.

I am trying to fix these issues myself, I just need some help. I know people edit ROMs all the time, I am sure I could fix these issues. I could at least recompile that ROM with 1.8ghz OC in the kernel. I also want to add Google services/Play Store, etc. Proper ROOT needs to be fixed too, SU is not working right and after Re-ROOTing on a reboot it is all gone. The Wifi drops are an issue but I have no clue what to do about them.

If anyone has some resources to help me do this, please let me know. I just need to de-compile the ROM and change some vaules then re-compile it. Adding Google services/frameworks and Play Store would be great too. This project needs to at least be finished with the community. The XD has a quite decent RK3288 with proper Mail drivers and emulation could be really good! I would still give credit to those that created these ROMs, etc. I just want to be the hands to get this going and done.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:46:10 am by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2019, 06:53:32 am »
Thanks for letting us know your experience with this rom. It's really a shame that this rom didn't developed any further. It's funny considering right now that the XD Plus has some problems with Yaba Sanshiro and the newer versions worked with no issues for the original. Skelton is retired from android development. Maybe Black Seraph could be interested into creating a patreon for this development, but is there someone who still owns the original GPD XD?

No problem man, listen if you have any resources where I can decompile then EDIT the ROM, then rebuild/compile the changes into that edited ROM, that would be great! I really want Google APPs to work on this too so any help there is appreciated too. Yaba Sanshiro 2.60 is working really damn well with the XD and Nougat! I want this ROM perfected. The XD+ is a joke for Saturn emulation. Having the XD with Vulkan and Nougat is amazing!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:55:17 am by Radioboy86 »

onthebridge

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2019, 01:50:23 pm »
but is there someone who still owns the original GPD XD?
I just bought one :D

Radioboy86 thanks for keeping this alive, hopefully a developer will put a new life into this

Radioboy86

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2019, 02:22:56 pm »
The fixes should be simple, I have never developed before, but I think if someone links me some resources and tools... I could adjust the OC to 1.8ghz, add Goggle Play/Framework/Services and maybe even fix ROOT too. I admit the latter seems out of my wheelhouse. I just need to figure out a way to decompile the ROM and "see" the values and adjust them. Adding Goggle stuff for Play Store SHOULD be easy with GAPPS installer/zip but I cannot get it to flash the right ARM 32-Bit package it needs.

Radioboy86

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2019, 02:25:42 pm »
but is there someone who still owns the original GPD XD?
I just bought one :D

Radioboy86 thanks for keeping this alive, hopefully a developer will put a new life into this

No problem man, back when the first RS-97 GBA CART model handhelds emerged here... I think I was one of the first people to post about the potential of the device and light a fire of interest in the community to mod/flash it and get the Dingoo A320 "spiritual" successor we all wanted since the A380/A380e model fiasco lol. MAYBE I can light that fire here for the XD Nougat ROM WIP?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:27:35 pm by Radioboy86 »

Radioboy86

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:02 pm »
I am telling you guys, this ROM with a XD RK3288 is pretty dope. I have owned the damn Nvidia Shield Tegra K1 Portable Debugger handheld and it was impressive! This XD has the potential to destroy even that beast...

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2019, 07:14:21 pm »
No problem man, listen if you have any resources where I can decompile then EDIT the ROM, then rebuild/compile the changes into that edited ROM, that would be great! I really want Google APPs to work on this too so any help there is appreciated too. Yaba Sanshiro 2.60 is working really damn well with the XD and Nougat! I want this ROM perfected. The XD+ is a joke for Saturn emulation. Having the XD with Vulkan and Nougat is amazing!

Sorry i can't help you with development. I don't know anything about it. @skelton is retired from developing, but i believe he can help you or at least give you some directions. He's still around Dingoonity. There's also BlackSeraph, but he hadn't logged into his account since january, but it's very active on gpd xd reddit as MrColdBird. Man, i really hope that you could fix this. Nougat for the original XD would be an amazing swansong for it.  ;D ;D ;D

Radioboy86

« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2019, 10:57:32 pm »
Yep, well I will do some research and see what I can do. Sucks that the XD RK3288 gets no love nowadays.

Radioboy86

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2019, 11:48:44 pm »
Okay so I do have root access in ADB and the # symbol is there when I force "su" in the command window. I have changed  the governor to performance, but on reboot it is gone. Does anyone know how I can make these changes stick on reboot? I know that a ADB tool I used to change the DPI and resolution keeps the settings when I reboot, so can I get the CPU scaling mode changes to stick after reboot on this ROM too? I fear I need to de-compile this ROM and edit what needs to be done, then re-compile.

Radioboy86

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2019, 05:02:51 am »
GPDXD-Experimental-Droid7.1-v03.zip has been extracted into Update3.img

I de-compiled/extracted that ROM image and have a series of various IMG/Kernel files now, including the BOOT.img
I have looked all over and used many command based tools for Windows and I cannot get that BOOT.img to extract.
I need that BOOT.IMG to extract as well as get those other files broken down so I change the text values as needed.

Seems like there is NO tools to do this for Rk3288 devices. I need one specific to RK3288. It took a long time to find one that could break down that ZIP into and IMG, and then break that down into the many IMGs/KRNLs files,etc...

I know I am close. Does anyone have any tools that can BREAK down and allow extracting of RK3288/XD ROMs/IMGs, etc? I have tried Android Kitchen, and many others but they all report the BOOT.IMG as wrong and will not extract it.

Radioboy86

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2019, 05:04:50 am »
imgRePackerRK.exe&imgrepackerrk version 1.06 (windows&linux)

THIS tool broke down the ROM/IMG into the deeper parts, still I need to break them down more. I need BOOT.IMG to extract into Ramdisk, etc...

Radioboy86

« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2019, 08:07:35 am »
Okay I am done, head is killing me. That ROM Phh made is not extracting correctly with ANY tool I try, the files and directories are just not right and I obviously need ALL of the TOOLs he used to make that ROM and compile it. I am sure I could edit some things and fix the parts needed, but I need some help and all the current links that did fix things like the Goggle GApps and Play Store are GONE from the servers. Any help would be great. I need it.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic