Author Topic: smachz lives!!!!!!!  (Read 54848 times)

monstercameron (OP)

smachz lives!!!!!!!
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:00:16 pm »

DiegoSLTS

Re: smachz lives!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:48:41 pm »
I thought they had news about development progress. Choosing a new SoC is really far from getting things done, it sounds like a bureaucratic thing, link negotiating with AMD and writing "Using Ryzen" in the specs of the device. They should show hardware, prototypes, designs, anything that shows they're doing something that works or will work with the new SoC. Otherwise, the SmachZ is as alive/dead as it was before the Romb.io situation.

hellomoto

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:11 am »
hmm.  PGS also had support of an intel developer.  that didn't turn out well.

androguy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:51:07 pm »
There was a new update yesterday. Anybody knows the details?

leafar

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
openpandora forums Smach z is back

vcoleiro1

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:28 am »
openpandora forums Smach z is back

Has Smach Z ever mentioned getting anymore investment $ ?

androguy

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 04:51:36 pm »

They have enough funds left from kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:21:42 am »

They have enough funds left from kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns.

Is that what they told you?

NTMBK

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 03:30:49 pm »
AMD confirms that SMACH are using Ryzen Embedded:

SMACH Z

?The introduction of the SMACH Z handheld console will create new opportunities for portable gaming devices, enabling users to play AAA titles at HD framerates, delivering desktop-quality power and graphics in the palm of players? hands,? said Daniel Fernandez, chief executive officer, SMACH. ?By leveraging the new AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 with superior graphics capabilities and mega processing power in our console, we are ready to revolutionize the on-the-go consumer gaming experience.?

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-launches-epyctm-embedded-and-ryzentm-embedded-processors-end

MOFO

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:06 am »
While I?m not a huge fan of the form factor performance should be much better than the GPD WIN 2 , the custom chipset from AMD looks amazing, only concern is battery life and price.
It?s surprising looking good for the SmachZ team if they can deliver.

Skelton-retired

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »
The GPU for sure, for emulators CPU wise I am curious to know IPC in single core or dual core, since most emus rely on that, on a high IPC. My old i7from my laptop  performs better in emus than my rizen 1600x for example...
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 12:59:53 pm »
So have they shown any sort of prototype yet, are they actually producing a handheld or is this still a scam?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

SONY

• !
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 10:16:24 am »
IMHO, a scam that they're going to give up on. Sad :(
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

MOFO

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 07:52:19 pm »
How is this a scam if they are going ahead and producing new mobo?s and new hardware to go along with it.
Now they still have a long way to go but at least they are going forward , let?s see how this all plays out before calling it a scam.

sagadego

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 05:15:28 pm »
So there?s good news and bad news for folks who?ve been following the development of the Smach Z handheld gaming PC for the past four years. The good news is that, as promised, Smach is showing off an alpha prototype at Embedded World this week.

The bad news is that it?s a non-working prototype.

The company has finalized the specs, updated the processor to a Ryzen V1605B with Radeon Vega 8 graphics, designed a motherboard and daughter board, and created a case prototype. But the whole thing is tucked away behind glass at Embedded World, where the folks at Computer Base got to look (but not touch).

https://liliputing.com/2018/02/smach-z-alpha-handheld-gaming-pc-makes-debut-not-playable-yet.html

NTMBK

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 10:33:44 pm »
Ahahaha, this thing is a fucking brick.

Look at the size of that.

lemmywinks

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 12:02:49 am »
So have they actually got anything functional to show or is this just a dummy device backed up by promises? I didn't keep track of this as it was looking like a total scam and the size/form factor doesn't appeal to me at all.

I guess if they've actually got a populated mobo then their intentions at least seem good, not sure they can bring anything to market though.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

MOFO

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »
Ahahaha, this thing is a fucking brick.

Look at the size of that.
Yeah it?s pretty big but if it doesn?t weigh a lot looks comfortable to hold, I really like the rounded grip area design.
If you want halfway decent battery life you will get a chunky unit but I actually like the way it looks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:06:18 pm by MOFO »

AVahne

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 05:05:20 am »
Super long handhelds like this tend to be really unwieldy though. Closest I can think of is a standard phone with a PhoneJoy controller. Issues with the button layout and general grip design aside, it just feels so very wrong with how long it was and this just looks like more of that.

NTMBK

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 12:03:14 pm »
Yeah it?s pretty big but if it doesn?t weigh a lot looks comfortable to hold, I really like the rounded grip area design.
If you want halfway decent battery life you will get a chunky unit but I actually like the way it looks.

It's not really the grips that bother me- I think that putting batteries in the grip Shield style is a nice way of distributing the weight, and you want comfortable grip shapes for long play sessions. My issue is the thickness of the center section, and the enormous cooler hanging off the back of the device. That thing is going to be heavy!