• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Using the GBA emulator to play other Emulators?An Idea.  (Read 7145 times)

Hagane023 (OP)

Using the GBA emulator to play other Emulators?An Idea.
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:07:44 pm »
I remembered that in another forum someone posted that they used Pocketnes for the GBA as an alternative for the nes emulator(Which was already fine) and i remebered that there are a few other emulators that do pretty much the same thing, such as SMSAdvance, NGPAdvance and also gbongba0.4. I haven't had time to test these yet but as most of us GA330 Owners just seem to be waiting for the promised gb and official snes emulators.(Not even mentioning Dingux)it might help pass some time until they are ready.

Has anyone tried this yet? I can't at the moment as i've let my brother borrow mine till the weekend.I know that emulation wouldn't be 100% but its still better than nothing.

Hagane023 (OP)

Re: Using the GBA emulator to play other Emulators?Gameboy Works!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:02:45 pm »
After getting my GA330 Back, i Can now confirm that i have played gameboy roms and gameboy colour roms using Goomba Colour(For GBA, Find it on google).
Most of the roms i've tested so far work well.

Follow the read me instructions and as usual with anything dingoo related it's easier to do using xp

NOT Perfect but better than feeling like i'm waiting forever for the official updates. I'll try the master system emulators later.

Hagane023 (OP)

Re: Gameboy on GBA emulator FOR ga330.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:39:12 pm »
Also with Goomba colour you get the supergameboy borders and a few other extras.

streigh

Re: Using the GBA emulator to play other Emulators?Gameboy Works!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »
After getting my GA330 Back, i Can now confirm that i have played gameboy roms and gameboy colour roms using Goomba Colour(For GBA, Find it on google).

Follow the read me instructions and as usual with anything dingoo related it's easier to do using xp

NOT Perfect but better than feeling like i'm waiting forever for the official updates. I'll try the master system emulators later.

I have to give this a try for GB games - interesting idea

just a comment though - GBC games seem to run perfectly on the GBA 1.0 and GBA 1.1 SIM's - as long as i rename them to .GBA

Hagane023 (OP)

Re: Ga330 Dr Sms Works but slow Using the GBA emulator.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

just a comment though - GBC games seem to run perfectly on the GBA 1.0 and GBA 1.1 SIM's - as long as i rename them to .GBA

Dr sms works quite well, Games play, but are a little slow and the sound is dreadful. Frameskip helps a bit.

As for the quote above if you rename the rom extension to .GBA the gemei hangs and freezes until you turn it off but if you you the programmes from Drsms and goombacolour to rename the games they will play. (Please note when using DrSms to give a name to the rom your adjusting you also have to put '.gba' at the end of its name.

Also this process lets you play games on the other dingoo's but they already have better native emulators so it's probably not such a great idea but at least gives you another option.

Next Is neo geo pocket. Lets see if this can work as well.

streigh

Re: Ga330 Dr Sms Works but slow Using the GBA emulator.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:46 pm »

Dr sms works quite well, Games play, but are a little slow and the sound is dreadful. Frameskip helps a bit.

As for the quote above if you rename the rom extension to .GBA the gemei hangs and freezes until you turn it off but if you you the programmes from Drsms and goombacolour to rename the games they will play. (Please note when using DrSms to give a name to the rom your adjusting you also have to put '.gba' at the end of its name.

Also this process lets you play games on the other dingoo's but they already have better native emulators so it's probably not such a great idea but at least gives you another option.

Next Is neo geo pocket. Lets see if this can work as well.

i was pretty sure the gbc games worked - but you might be right on that i was trying/renaming dozens of roms - and i was having another issue with 1 of the 2 units i had.

I will double check that and post a correction ...

Hagane023 (OP)

Re: Using the GBA emulator to play other Emulators?It works
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:22:31 am »
I wonder if this might be a firmware issue as i've gone back to using 1.0. Maybe on 1.1 will play the roms if you change the extension? I can also tell you that http://gbaemu.dcemu.co.uk/ has some other emulators to try.

SittButt

Re: Using the GBA emulator to play other Emulators?An Idea.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:40 am »
I try to rename severals files of Gameboy and GBC and that did'nt work.

But that can be the Roms, i'll check for this way.

streigh

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »
I try to rename severals files of Gameboy and GBC and that did'nt work.

But that can be the Roms, i'll check for this way.

well i am fairly positive that .GB files wont work if renamed - i tried about a dozen

SittButt

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »
Then i'll wait for the GA330 Dingux then.

Did someone got news from Booboo or he run with the money ??  ;D :D :P

streigh

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 05:18:16 pm »

i kinda expect to see a GB SIM way before i see GA330 Digux available

SittButt

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 05:47:12 pm »

i kinda expect to see a GB SIM way before i see GA330 Digux available

I got the same impression.

I'll make the "insane" test to drop the GB.SIM of the DA320 into the games Rep to test if that can work ... but i'm insane.  ;D ;D

IguanaC64

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »
The most current news I've seen from Booboo is on the Dingux page (http://www.dingux.com/), but last update was Dec 4th of last year.  I did some googling around, but didn't find anything newer.  One thing of interest on the page, though, was:

"ChinaChip is currently supporting this project by providing documentation and hardware, so your donations are no longer necessary to purchase development hardware."

It sounds like ChinaChip is doing a lot more than I usually see to get development jumpstarted.  It would be really heartening to see the English page work on the Gemeitech website and Dingux released (even if I prefer native emulators without the extra overhead of an OS).

darkborn

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »
There is GBAGI, emulator/interpreter for AGI adventures, e.g. Sierra King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc. IMHO It is better alternative to ScummVM because GBAGI is more accurate, 100% compatible (or so) and overall better. I play it a lot at GBA fitted with M3 Lite Perfect" card. Unfortunately, GBAGI pages are down, and I don't know where to find it now.
There are hundreds of commercial and homebrew agi games around, some of them are really great.
Interesting is that there are AGI game dev sets for Windows & Linux, so you an make your very own AGI adventure... retro style but who cares ? ;)
WinAGI Game Development System

somebody put a link: http://rapidshare.com/files/219705954/AGIdingoo.gba but I did not checked.
You can try local google search for "GBAGi" at www.theoldcomputer.com
(but those are probably "precompiled compilations": in original you can put your own collection)
There is a tricky way to get lost GBAGI pages - through "Internet Archive WayBackMachine":
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.bripro.com/gbagi/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:58:20 pm by darkborn »

blastyrant

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 03:57:51 am »
http://gbatemp.net/t77065-slot2-emulators

you will find a listing of gba emus, links, and more information at that post. the gbagi app that bri coded (grandtheftendo fame) is available there.

you can get everything discussed in that post here: http://filetrip.net/f4537-Slot2-Emulators-and-Interpreters.html

here is a link for free "fan" agi games: http://rapidshare.com/files/201371540/agi-fanmade.tar.bz2
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:06:05 am by blastyrant »

Post a new topic