• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Snes emulator not showing up  (Read 8652 times)

lpoolm (OP)

Snes emulator not showing up
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:09:35 pm »
Hi, just got an A330, thought it was a Dingoo... Its not! So no Dingux.

Anyway I have read all 10 pages of forums in this section and can not find my answer.

I am on firmware 1.1 but do not have a Snes folder? I wanted to install pocketsnes but can not find the download?
Also maybe sounding stupid do not really know where to download too?

Please help as I am regretting giving up my A320 for this :'(

Melquiades

Re: Snes emulator not showing up
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:55:24 am »
Hi,

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that to find the emulador you have to scroll right to the applications tab in the OS screen. Then  you have to choose Pocketsnes. It will appear ONLY if you placed the cc file (I think that was the extension) in the 3D folder inside the game folder. Once opened you can navigate to wherever you place the roms.

The bad news is that if you swapped the Dingoo for the Gemei and your main interest is SNES you will be disappointed. Pocketsnes does not run as well in the Gemei. If you switch off sound and fullscreen it will be good enough for most games, otherwise it will run badly, to be honest. I think this is because this version of Pocketsnes lacks the "overclocking kernel" and thus it does not allow to change the clock frequency.

Other than that it is a good console, although it falls short in emulation range to a real Dingoo. On the other hand, other emulators run so much better... Just install Marvel VS Capcom, Gigawing, SF Alpha 3, Metal Slug 3-5. You could not even open these in a Dingoo but they run perfectly in one of these.

By the way, since you are one of the few that has posted anything in the post in a long time. Could you check if the MVS roms that use sprite scaling for backgrounds (like art  of fighting 2 or any samurai shodown) do slowdown your console every time the actions zooms in or out? I ask because maybe it has something to do with my console or with my roms.

Also another BIG question. Do you know if there is a port of TEMPER, the PC Engine emulator for this? I assume it would be dead easy to do so, but nobody seem to have cared enough...

lpoolm (OP)

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:43:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Yes I found pocketsnes (not where I was expecting!!)

Few games I have tried play well, I tried art of fighting, it played ok, slowish but not unplayable, samuria shodown played ok too. To be honest never played either before so do not have expert knowledge on them.

I have searched for other emulators to install and to be honest struggled to find much else, never heard of Temper before you mentioned but of all the reading I have done I have not seen it mentioned either?

Melquiades

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:40:00 am »
Hi,

When it comes to Neo Geo, mine plays perfectly (or almost, if you are a purist). Only those games with intensive zoom slow down the action (Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown,... but also Neo Drift Out). The rest should be OK. You should only see  slowdown where a real Neo Geo has it, like in Metal Slug 1 or 2.

Temper is a port of a PC Engine emulator (HUGO) for the Dingoo. In my Dingoo A330 it plays perfectly even the CD/arcade card games, and it is an awesome system with some very serious classics like Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. It is a pity that this was never ported to the GA 330. Really.

lpoolm (OP)

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:51 pm »
Thanks for the info, do you reckon the A320 is a better overall machine? Or do you know of something else that beats the lot? I want something small that will fit in my pocket. I have a archos gamepad that is great for emulators but a bigger screen means its more home based rather than carry everywhere!

dcervi

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:24:35 pm »
I have an unreleased version of PocketSnes sitting somewhere, with some performance tweaks and hardware scaling (same speed with fullscreen on or off, and smoother scaling).

I'll try to find my latest sources and release it, as I stopped working on it some time ago...

lpoolm (OP)

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:33:32 pm »
sounds interesting!! ;D

Melquiades

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:09:00 am »
That would be very very good. Amazing, actually, can?t wait!  :-*
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:11:01 am by Melquiades »

Melquiades

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:19 am »
Thanks for the info, do you reckon the A320 is a better overall machine? Or do you know of something else that beats the lot? I want something small that will fit in my pocket. I have a archos gamepad that is great for emulators but a bigger screen means its more home based rather than carry everywhere!

It is difficult to say. I like them both a lot. More than any android console I own. To put it simply, they are more "playable" even though emulation is some cases worse than in Android. I suppose it has to do with the form factor and the excellent DPADs they have.

The best things about the Gemei are the price (I got mine for 35 dollars at DX) and that CPS2 and NG run almost perfectly (you can even run the heaviest roms like Metal Slug 3 or Marvel Vs Capcom), also the bumpers (R/L) are the best in a portable I have seen. Only some CPS2 bullet hells and some MVS games like later Metal Slugs require swiching off the sound to have a good framerate. The DPAD is very good, much better than android any dpad so far (note that I haven?t tried the Q88+). And the battery is amazing, around 5-6 hours fully charged (use a 1.5 mA USB charger, the one included won't charge this thing, typical chinese stuff),

I don't have a 320, I have a 330, and well. It looks slightly better in terms of construction quality (specially the screen is "crispier"), although the performance for CPS2 and NG is sluggish (even without sound). It is also twice as expensive, maybe more. On the other hand, it emulates almost perfectly anything else (SNES, MD, GBA, NES) using custom emulators (pocketsnes, double buffer MD emulator,...), and you have a plethora of emulators and apps than don't run in the Gemei (Temper, again is a must). Finally, the DPAD is awesome, the best I have tried in a handheld. The bumpers are crap, unfortunately.

It is a trade off, really. So my advice is that, unless you are short on cash, you are a Neo Geo freak or you want to play CPS2 bullet hells, go and get a Dingoo. Be prepared to spend some time changing emulators and looking for the right roms, though. There is no such thing as Google Play for these things...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:09:55 am by Melquiades »

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:25 pm »
As an owner of Dingoo A320, Dingoo A330, and Gemei A330, I'm in agreement with all of Melquiades' comparative points. Although the Gemei is a more powerful machine with sturdier controls, I think the lack of a well-documented SDK prevented it from developing a dedicated homebrew scene like the Dingoo had. Besides the wider variety of emulators, Dingoo has a wealth of homebrew games and apps for both native and Dingux. Even SPMP8k has more homebrew than Gemei (Doom, Quake, TG16Emu, ScummVM)...

do you know of something else that beats the lot? I want something small that will fit in my pocket.

GCW-Zero. You might flinch at paying a price similar to an Android gamepad for something smaller and a bit less powerful, but in my opinion most of the OpenDingux emulators beat the emulators Android has available for the same systems. And of course it's pocketable, the Zero is like a Gemei with a bigger screen and less-wobbly shoulder buttons.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:03:08 pm by MightyJAK »
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

lpoolm (OP)

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:11:11 pm »
Thanks both for the feedback, I am a bit of a player who plays it to death than gets bored, ends up selling, regretting then spend all my time finding it again! Thats whats happened with my a320!
I like the look of the gcw zero but can not justify paying that kind of money  :o
I was taking a look at the wiz gp2x as this seems a little cheaper, but there might be a reason for that! ;D
Will see if I can find a nice bargain somewhere???...

Melquiades

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »
Good luck with the bargain search. Last time I searched for dingoos they run over 80 bucks, used...

The only bargains you will find easily right now are crappy android consoles. If you find a S602B, if may serve your needs even the battery is a joke, as I understand.

By the way, I look forward to the updated PocketSNES... I hope I did not sound like a jerk when I talked about its performance in the Gemei, I appreciate inmensely the many hours put into these kind of projects. It is this scene and this people what makes these crappy console something great and exciting. So thanks  ;)