Author Topic: Port of emulators  (Read 7253 times)

nardich (OP)

Port of emulators
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:20:40 am »
As far as I know, there is no port of any emulator that has been made for GA330, and none planned, am I right ?

Since its processor is of an ARM species, wouldn't it be not that tough to port emulators from other platforms to the Gemei A330 ?
I am especially thinking about PocketSNES, already ported by the famous Reesy (author of many wonderful emulators, I remember all the ones I was using on Gp32) to the Dingoo A320 (working quite well I have to say).
PocketSNES seems to have different versions optimized for different kind of processors.

Although emulators for Gemei A330 aren't that bad (especially arcade ones), this sound synchronization (especially on GBA, megadrive, nes) is really annoying...

1wiierdguy

Re: Port of emulators
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:55 am »
 The only SDK floating around is an unofficial one. It was used for the Doom port which also suffers sound  problems. Even if someone wanted to port an emulator their just are not the tools to do it. Gemei need to release an official native SDK or put some time and resources into helping Booboo get Linux up and running.

nardich (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
I see, even the SDK isn't a proper one... Hence the problem to get new software on gemei.
I didn't know the port of Doom also suffers sound problems. I haven't actually tried it...
Same kind of synchronization problem?

1wiierdguy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:35 am »
 Yeah sound delay like the Nes and MD emulators. I feel the window of opportunity for Gemei is closing. If they don't get Dingux or a Native SDK out there and garner some support the A330 might die an early death. I browse the official Gemeitech forums and even in their home market the chinese are starting suggest the Gemei is not a worthy successor for the Dingoo. One firmware update that didn't really improve anything and a buggy Snes emulator is all Gemei have thus far produced. Also Booboo said getting Dingux running is not a priority for them anymore after some internal restructuring. Perhaps they don't see the Gemei being a success and are moving on themselves. Perhaps we will see an A380 sooner rather than later.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:36:30 am »
I hope they won't name it A380. It would be a confusion mess :)
Their next device is the A320-E AFAIK.

nardich (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:12:36 pm »
Yeah... And just another firmware update with this sound delay problem fixed and everything would be already far better.
For Dingux, we will wait... Hopefully Booboo will manage to get something working on it.

Kryptofacist

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 05:07:16 pm »
What I don't understand is if the A330 is no longer a priority, then why are Gemei Tech being so withholding?
Is it difficult to release an SDK? I don't see why it would be, and it seems like doing so would create more interest amongst devs. Which would in turn make it more popular.

But I guess I am just preaching to the choir here.
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

heilong79

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 10:04:24 am »
Because Chinese companies are paranoid someone else will get an upper hand using their know how and they will end up losing money.

rotation

• Check out my band!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »
it's just sad! the GA330 is a pretty cool machine..I bought some for myself and friends and we've been patiently waiting for some optimized emulators. I really hope Gemei doesn't ditch it just yet! The machine has a ton of potential. If only the parent company realized how much the community would back them if they released an official SDK. They would sell SO many more units if it ran Dingux!
Yinlips YDG18, Caanoo, Gemei A330,Black Dingoo a320 w/Dingux, White Dingoo a320, Xbox, PS3, another Modded Ps3, Wii, TG16, SNES, NES, Atari 7800, Genesis....even an FC Twin.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »
Because Chinese companies are paranoid someone else will get an upper hand using their know how and they will end up losing money.

THEIR know how? I guess that's why they had to ILLEGALLY use code from SNES9x and gPSP (and who knows what else) to make their own proprietary emulators for the A320. They should stop being evil hypocrites and rightfully open source their stolen software.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:46:49 pm by Jesse »

jusme

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »
i am sorry jessie but racist remarks are not the way forward  :o

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »
Yeah, sorry. I just came back to change my remark.

I've just been mad at everything this past week.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:06:41 pm by Jesse »

Hagane023

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:48:55 pm »
If we have more info on the sdk wouldn't it be easier to port emulators from other operating systems. For example most android phones use arm processors and they have decent snes/megadrive emulators (Crap touchscreen controls though). I think this is probably an open source code issue.  I love my Gemei but i still want someone to sort the no controller plugged in problem as well as the no transparancy  in the snes emulator, as well as more emulators for other systems. I get the impression poor booboo has the weight of several communities waiting for him to port linux.

Poligrafowicz

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 05:45:37 pm »
If we have more info on the sdk wouldn't it be easier to port emulators from other operating systems. For example most android phones use arm processors and they have decent snes/megadrive emulators (Crap touchscreen controls though). I think this is probably an open source code issue.  I love my Gemei but i still want someone to sort the no controller plugged in problem as well as the no transparancy  in the snes emulator, as well as more emulators for other systems. I get the impression poor booboo has the weight of several communities waiting for him to port linux.
I'm no expert on Android, but I thought some kind of virtual machine is used on Android for running aps. While this doesn't mean those emulators can't be ported, the code is not ARM specific.

flatmush

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:26:43 pm »
It's not ARM that's the problem, I think it's more likely a lack of developers. Most devs already have a dingoo a320 and will see no need on buying the next one just to do it all over again. I'd guess as most a330 owners are a subset of the a320 community which is small anyway that there just aren't many devs yet, but I'm sure that will change with time.

nardich (OP)

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:18 pm »
That would be a good thing.
Gemei A330 has quite some power, just looking at how better (=faster) it runs MVS, CPS1/2 and even Snes (sadly still without transparencies...) than Dingoo A320.

ARM is not about a problem, but more about an advantage, for that quite some emulators containing ARM optimized (=speed boost) components exist.

Post a new topic