• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Official Gemei 330 Review Topic  (Read 65121 times)

1wiierdguy

Re: Official Gemei 330 Review Topic
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 08:04:28 pm »
Hello.  Can you tell me what the screen protector is like.  Is it easy to put on?  Can you tell that it's on when it's on?  Thanks

It's a bit tricky to get it on without getting air bubbles trapped underneath it(at least for me).It's just a touch smaller than the screen so you can see a line around the edge of the screen and can tell it's on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:07:08 pm by 1wiierdguy »

RodrigoCard

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »
Is the screen well protected with some kind of hard plastic like a cellphone or it is fragile like the A320 screen?

I dont want to accidentally sit in its screen and broke it, like I did with my first A320 :P

The GA330 screen isn't hard protected. You get a stick on screen protector to apply with the unit itself.

These screen protectors only protects from scratches, but not from heavy asses :P
Anyway, thanks for the info.

1wiierdguy

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
 Another screen comparison. GA330 on the left, Dingoo on the right.

If you look at the tiled area, in particular around the life counter you can see the soft effect I'm trying to explain.

tintami

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 12:23:18 pm »
What resolution is the A330 screen? That screenshot almost looks like a 320x240 res game being upscaled onto a higher res screen. Weird!

xdf

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 12:32:40 pm »
That looks a bit rubbish in comparison, hopefully it's just the emulators. If I wasn't comparing side by side though I don't think it would bother me. Have you compared video files side by side to see if this effect is there?  My a330 is in the post. Don't have an a320 but want to see how it will compare next to my gameboy micro screen

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 01:36:25 pm »
I definitely can see the softness you described, great comparison picture. The A330 still seems to have better colours though, they're a touch more vibrant.

So, the one million dollar question: Is a Gemei A330 worth $100 landed for people with a Dingoo A320?

ot4ku

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »
Yust got my Geimei A330, lol they even packed in a cristmas santa hat and a nice bag with perfect size to carry the Gemei A330, im going to test him now, looks so awsome!

*EDIT* First Power ON:
OK the first thing that shocked me a little, you have to view directly to the screen, it is very hard to look at it when it just a little moves, the view angle (sorry my english) is not as good as the one from A320.

*EDIT-2* Display
WOW, the Display is really bad.. feels like its "blury", my eyes start hurting just from looking at it :/

*EDIT-3* ....
You know, i also use my A320 for music listening sometimes, and im am thankful for the "lock" function where the keys dont work, and the display goes off to save power... A330 has just a ON/OFF feature, no screenlock (as far as i see till now)

Ok, im really geting disapointet... it looks so nice, but i prefer my A320, i have to sell this thing fast on ebay...
I cant believe they made a step backwards with the screen, why would they do so?
Hoping the new Dingoo will be released soon, based on gemei A330 hardware but better screen... *hoping*
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:11:40 pm by ot4ku »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 03:13:43 pm »
Man, it really looks like the A320 was just an uncanny fluke.

How they can spend so much time developing these things and still stuff them up so much is beyond me.

It's quite simple. Take the hardware of an A320, add 32 MB RAM for a total of 64 MB, double internal memory to 8 GB,  replace Mini SD with Micro SD, keep the same native firmware but change it to utilize the extra RAM and run the CPU at 400 Mhz, further optimise the emulators, throw it all in a Gemei A330 case. Sell it for $85 - done, the perfect bang for buck handheld.

darfgarf

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »
Man, it really looks like the A320 was just an uncanny fluke.

How they can spend so much time developing these things and still stuff them up so much is beyond me.

It's quite simple. Take the hardware of an A320, add 32 MB RAM for a total of 64 MB, double internal memory to 8 GB,  replace Mini SD with Micro SD, keep the same native firmware but change it to utilize the extra RAM and run the CPU at 400 Mhz, further optimise the emulators, throw it all in a Gemei A330 case. Sell it for $85 - done, the perfect bang for buck handheld.
you forgot to find the cheapest possible parts so you make the most profit on each one

looks like my predictions were correct, just another pile of chinese junk...though it seems like it's at least better than most

ot4ku

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »
Ok, now after all this disapointment i started playing Mega Drive / genesis Games on the A330.
I dont know if its just my problem but...

I have only 2 Options:

- 3D games
- Internet games

I Made MD Folder like on the A320, but you cant browse the Gamefolder, you can select "Internet Game" and
there are all games, and i mean "all" all Megadrive, Supernes, Nes games all, sorted from A-Z but there
are no folders, its all in one big thing, thats really bad in my opinion... you have always to look on the
fileending to see what EMU this game uses...

the only good thing, it always lets you make a "create" server for every 2 player games, would be great if this really would work, and you can really play all 2 player MD / Snes game sover the Internet agauinst others... Some Street Fighter 2 Action would be nice.

Anywone here has also a A330 (Gemei) and can confirm this Problem? Or do i something wrong?
Ah and Sound finnaly also works thru speakers while playing...

*EDIT*
LOL another funny problem... anyone here can test this please for me?
When i start the MD_DEMO.smd (already installed on all A330) it loads the same Street Fighter 2 Demo it had already on the A320, i can select player eand everything, but as soon as the fight starts, my displays shows only big pixels, nothing to see anymore, can someone test?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:43:55 pm by ot4ku »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »
I dont know if its just my problem but...

I have only 2 Options:

- 3D games
- Internet games

I Made MD Folder like on the A320, but you cant browse the Gamefolder, you can select "Internet Game" and
there are all games, and i mean "all" all Megadrive, Supernes, Nes games all, sorted from A-Z but there
are no folders, its all in one big thing, thats really bad in my opinion... you have always to look on the
fileending to see what EMU this game uses...

This might help:

Had a bit of trouble selecting roms to play at first. Selecting internet games kept giving me a list of pre-installed games with .JGC format.Had to change "browse type" setting in the settings menu to "Directory browsing".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:46:07 pm by Frank_fjs »

1wiierdguy

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 01:40:28 am »
 Movie playback screen comparison.

Colours have a bit more "pop" on GA330 but overall the image is also slightly washed out. I guess people will have different opinions on wich is better.
@ tin tami - the screen is 320 * 240 according to Gemei official specs.
@Frank fjs - In my opinion it's not worth $100 for A320 owners to upgrade. Not yet anyway. I also completely agree with you. If they just bumped the original hardware specs, kept the same internals so it was compatable with what is already out. Threw the lot in the GA330 case it would have been better than this.

fenixt

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 02:31:10 am »
Been lurking for about 2 weeks waiting for someone to get an a330. I don't have a dingoo, wanted one for the longest, was gonna get one recently, heard about new version, waited to hear impressions, disappointed about news from a330's screen.

I'm probably gonna end up getting the dingoo, anyway, like the shape better. More minimal look. Plus the colored buttons give it a bit of personality. And because of the news of the screen.

Does the screen have a washed out look in the native menu, or just when playing media and games? Guess what I'm getting at is can the blur be fixed by an update, or is it just the screens hardware?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:33:57 am by fenixt »

1wiierdguy

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 04:22:00 am »
http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/ac28/1wiierdguy/?action=view&current=MVI_0943.mp4

Quick clip of movie playback comparison. In the first part of the scene where the image is well lit the better colours on GA330 give it an edge. Second half of the scene the GA330 shows less detail in the darker areas. Good example is if you pause the clip at 6-7 secs as the girl turns her head. On the dingoo you can still see the detail of her hair whereas on the GA330 the detail is lost. Overall I guess people will have different prefrences on whats better. I think it also highlight that the image isnt really soft like in the emulators. Hopefully the softness in the emulators isn't an hardware issue and can be addressed with an update.

*edit- I have turned the GA330 down to 4 here also.It reduced the washed out look for only a small drop in brightness.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 05:01:34 am by 1wiierdguy »

tintami

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 10:57:33 am »
I've got to say I find the fuzzy effect on the screen confusing... How can something with a 1:1 pixel ratio look blurred? Maybe the glass covering the screen refracts the light slightly? Very odd!

john

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 11:16:53 am »
it could just be a filter in the emulator, coded to be on all the time. i guess we'll know the answer to that once linux is running on it.

1wiierdguy

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 11:33:46 am »
it could just be a filter in the emulator, coded to be on all the time. i guess we'll know the answer to that once linux is running on it.

I'm hoping so, Maybe to smooth the image when using T.V. out on a big screen.

This is just a quick test I did for emulator speed. It's X-men Cota on Cps2.It compares emulator speed from starup until the insert coin screen shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4V6-rIcob8

You know, i also use my A320 for music listening sometimes, and im am thankful for the "lock" function where the keys dont work, and the display goes off to save power... A330 has just a ON/OFF feature, no screenlock (as far as i see till now)

There is a software lock function in the setting menu.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:49:19 am by 1wiierdguy »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 03:48:44 pm »
It's a tough call. The colours and contrast look better in certain circumstances on the A330 but the washed out look isn't appealing at all.

Thanks for the video, the emulation seems to run a lot smoother/faster on the A330.

I might wait & see if they drop down in price, if they do I'll grab one. Smooth emulation, a decent case and nice buttons, I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Minexew

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 03:53:11 pm »

Do you think it's worth buying for someone who hasn't got any such smartheld yet?

xdf

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 07:28:32 pm »
Thanks for the clips.  The a330 looks good to me.  Will have to wait til mine turns up to tell if i like the smoothing/viewing angle

Post a new topic