Author Topic: News of some development for GA330  (Read 102927 times)

Kryptofacist (OP)

News of some development for GA330
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »
Console received, first hello world compiled (and working) but there's a couple of problems: some of the console's buttons do not seem to be recognized by the kernel's functions (select, start & right shoulder), also i couldn't update the firmware (but that's not really a problem).

It looks like that console handles proper vsync (i disassembled the libraries of the SDK a bit and have seen that the API also provide functions for frames double buffering which is a breeze of fresh air compared to the A320) the emulators seems to have slowdowns/jittering though (even the NES one) & i don't know why yet (maybe made on purpose to reach 50hz speed ?)

I'll try to setup a decent & small framework to support emulators ports & get the ball rolling.

edit: buttons are properly recognized i was just using the wrong library.

I decided to make this a new thread because the last one (Is anyone else dissappointed with the a330?) has gone completely offtopic.
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

cex

Re: News of some development for GA330
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:13:24 pm »
Hi all,
I'm new at the board, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to thank hitchhikr in advance for his offer on a suitable framework.
Hope this was the beggining of more and better emulators for the GA330.

Regards,
Cex.

hitchhikr

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »
Not sure that it deserves a thread :).

So far i'm having troubles to obtain a steady replaying of the sound, it doesn't look like the sys_create_thread() of the firmware is working properly, i guess i'll have to disassemble one of their emulators to see how they're doing it.

The OS used on the GA330 is the same that in the a320 (uCOS) so the API is similar.

Kryptofacist (OP)

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:38:44 pm »
Not sure that it deserves a thread :).

Are you kidding? You are the only person besides Booboo who is doing development of any sort for the Gemei. If this doesn't deserve a thread, I don't know what does. Also, it looks bad if everyone keeps posting in the last thread because of the negative title.

If you are disassembling an emulator to work out the sound, might I suggest the SNES? It doesn't have that weird sound delay thing as far as I have seen.

I am not sure about this, but if the API is similar to the Dingoo, does that mean the SDK is similar too?

Thanks for the update.
"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real."
- Abraham Lincoln

cex

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »

I am not sure about this, but if the API is similar to the Dingoo, does that mean the SDK is similar too?

Thanks for the update.

I have took a look at the SDK and it is multi-platform. It includes de A320, but for the A330 it uses mainly a CC1600-based mp4 libraries. A320 CPU is MIPS and GA330 is ARM, so IMO the libraries are not compatible.

I'll try to spend some time on the SDK to check if at least I'm able to compile the examples, but if hitchhikr provides a "clean" framework it would be nice.

If a working framework is available it should not be very difficult to migrate ScummVM, Mame, and other emulators natively to the GA330.

Meneer Jansen

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:47:49 pm »
Are you kidding? You are the only person besides Booboo who is doing development of any sort for the Gemei. If this doesn't deserve a thread, I don't know what does.
I totally agree.  :)
Finally got me a new Dingoo after I Kentucky ~~::fried::~~ the other one. Yippee! [edit] And lost it!

hitchhikr

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:53 pm »
I meant that the firmware itself is providing an API which is similar to the one of the A320.

I started to disassemble the NES emulator (which is actually PocketNester) and found out that the functions used in the emulator are similar to the ones used in the SDK (some tiny differences) also i found these two functions, the first is run when the emulator starts and the second when it exits, maybe this have something to do with setting the CPU frequency :

printf("cpu set highest!\n"); PMSetMode(0x30,0);
printf("cpu set low!\n"): PMSetMode(0x20,0);

I haven't found how they're outputting the sound yet.

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:25:32 pm »
You think these two functions are related to CPU clock?

I guess it automagically does a overclock for running these emulators huh?

hitchhikr

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:30 pm »
I don't know.

Here are the two functions to switch to lcd or tvout modes (this is normally handled by sys_get_key() which uses an interrupt with Start+L):

// lcd mode
emu_video_tvout(0);
OSTimeDly(2);
LCDSetBrightness(0x4e);

// tvout mode 
LCDSetBrightness(1);
OSTimeDly(2);
emu_video_tvout(1);

SittButt

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:03:47 am »
This post start to be really interesting.
That make me fall back 20years ago when starting c language at school
I'm now working in c#

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 01:09:35 am »
Can you figure out the LCD init code? With that, someone like booboo could start coding a kernel for it.

If he still haven't found this code already.

Gausen

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 03:33:02 am »
Keep up the good work hitchhikr. Thank you for your hard work!

hitchhikr

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:12:49 pm »
Can you figure out the LCD init code? With that, someone like booboo could start coding a kernel for it.

If he still haven't found this code already.

According to Booboo they used GPM940B0 LCD and I've seen some driver for such screens floating around, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

SilverhawkBR

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:21 pm »
One step forward in this case.

See what you can do around ya? Dunno, maybe compiling something more complex.

I've been struggling to get a single "hello world" to work on C here on a normal computer...

flud

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 11:29:00 am »
I was able to run the linux kernel on gemei a330 

kernel.cc
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:36:38 am by flud »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic