Author Topic: Neo Geo Choppy Graphics help  (Read 12163 times)

games222 (OP)

Neo Geo Choppy Graphics help
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:00:41 am »

So far, half the roms for neo geo are really choppy graphics , the other half are working fine. Is there a way to fix the choppyness of at least half of the neo geo game graphics?

When i click on select + start it goes into the menu mode and from there, i click on game configuration. , is there anything in game configuration that i could change like Machine Region or Machine Mode or FrameSkip that will make the graphics look normal?

yoshi41

Re: Neo Geo Choppy Graphics help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:23:13 pm »
Neo Geo compatibility is quite good (albeit not perfect). And of course, the more demanding games do not run full speed without frame skips.

What do you mean with choppy graphics? Slow game play or skipped frames? Or are the graphics distorted?

And which games do you have problems with?

Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

games222 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »
the graphics looks like a broken jigsaw puzzle, its really bad. There are too many games to list that are bad. Thats why i asked if i need to do some kind of configuration for it to look normal.

i downloaded the link below for mvs converter. And the weird thing is, this mvs converter doesn't convert all the games, some it just doesn't do any conversion. For example, metal slug 5, i never got a conversion for it. But anyway, at least half of roms for neo geo that i played are really choppy graphics.

For example king of fighters 95, super sidekick 1, neo drift, neo bomberman, sonic wings 3, there are just too many games to list, they all look the same, really really choppy graphics.

http://www.dingoo-digital.com/downloads/applications/neogeo-mvs-converter-english-version

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:25:19 pm by games222 »

yoshi41

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:40 pm »
Ok, I see. Garbled graphics means you don't have the correct version of the ROM (or the game isn't supported). Try another (most likely older) ROM.

Not all games work. MS5, KOF95, Neo Drift, Neo Bomberman and Sonic Wings 3 work fine. But for instance SS1, SS2, SS3, WH1, Riding Hero and Viewpoint don't work (at least for me). They have garbled graphics or problems with raster effects.

Btw, I used this version of the MVS converter...

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,306

games222 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49:46 pm »
i think i got my roms from a cd that i had with all the roms on it and some i got from cool roms website. I don't even know the roms i have are older roms or not older roms. How would i be able to determine that? Where did you get your roms from?

what is your success to failure rate for neo geo roms? Mine is half of the roms work and the other half don't work, so that is a high number for non working roms. I would be happy if i could get at least 80 percent working to 20 percent not working.

I think the MVS converter has something to do with the roms failing. I think the mvs converter that you listed, is the same one that i used before. I posted a link on the other thread.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:00:57 pm by games222 »

yoshi41

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:54:59 pm »
For your reference, these are my converted ROMs...

Code: [Select]
2020 Super Baseball.mvs
3 Count Bout.mvs
Aggressors of Dark Kombat.mvs
Alpha Mission 2.mvs
Andro Dunos.mvs
Art of Fighting 1.mvs
Art of Fighting 2.mvs
Art of Fighting 3.mvs
Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuki.mvs
Bang Bead.mvs
Baseball Stars 2.mvs
Baseball Stars Professional.mvs
Battle Flip Shot.mvs
Blazing Star.mvs
Blues Journey.mvs
Breakers Revenge.mvs
Breakers.mvs
Burning Fight.mvs
Captain Tomaday.mvs
Crossed Swords.mvs
Cyber Lip.mvs
Digger Man.mvs
Double Dragon.mvs
Eight Man.mvs
Fatal Fury 1.mvs
Fatal Fury 2.mvs
Fatal Fury 3.mvs
Fatal Fury Special.mvs
Fight Fever.mvs
Football Frenzy.mvs
Galaxy Fight.mvs
Ganryu.mvs
Garou Mark of the Wolves.mvs
Ghost Pilots.mvs
Ghostlop.mvs
Goal Goal Goal.mvs
Gururin.mvs
Kabuki Klash.mvs
Karnovs Revenge.mvs
King of the Monsters 1.mvs
King of the Monsters 2.mvs
Kizuna Encounter.mvs
Last Resort.mvs
League Bowling.mvs
Legend of Success Joe.mvs
Magical Drop 2.mvs
Magical Drop 3.mvs
Magician Lord.mvs
Matrimelee.mvs
Metal Slug 1.mvs
Metal Slug 2.mvs
Metal Slug 3.mvs
Metal Slug 4.mvs
Metal Slug 5.mvs
Metal Slug X.mvs
Money Puzzle Exchanger.mvs
Mutation Nation.mvs
NAM 1975.mvs
Neo Bomberman.mvs
Neo Drift Out.mvs
Neo Mr Do.mvs
Neo Turf Masters.mvs
Nightmare In the Dark.mvs
Ninja Combat.mvs
Ninja Commando.mvs
Ninja Masters.mvs
Operation Ragnagard.mvs
Over Top.mvs
Panic Bomber.mvs
Pleasure Goal.mvs
Pochi & Nyaa.mvs
Pop n Bounce.mvs
Power Spikes 2.mvs
Prehistoric Isle 2.mvs
Pulstar.mvs
Puzzle Bobble 1.mvs
Puzzle Bobble 2.mvs
Puzzle de Pon R.mvs
Puzzle de Pon.mvs
Puzzled.mvs
Rage of the Dragons.mvs
Ragnagard.mvs
Real Bout Fatal Fury 1.mvs
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2.mvs
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.mvs
Robo Army.mvs
Samurai Shodown.mvs
Samurai Showdown 2.mvs
Samurai Showdown 3.mvs
Samurai Showdown 4.mvs
Savage Reign.mvs
Sengoku 1.mvs
Sengoku 2.mvs
Sengoku 3.mvs
Shock Troopers 1.mvs
Shock Troopers 2.mvs
Soccer Brawl.mvs
Sonic Wings 2.mvs
Sonic Wings 3.mvs
Spin Master.mvs
Stakes Winner 2.mvs
Stakes Winner.mvs
Street Hoop.mvs
Strikers 1945 Plus.mvs
Super Dodge Ball.mvs
Super Sidekicks.mvs
SVC Chaos Plus.mvs
SVC Chaos.mvs
Tecmo World Soccer 96.mvs
The Irritating Maze.mvs
The King of Fighters 2000.mvs
The King of Fighters 2001.mvs
The King of Fighters 2002.mvs
The King of Fighters 94.mvs
The King of Fighters 95.mvs
The King of Fighters 96.mvs
The King of Fighters 97 Plus.mvs
The King of Fighters 97.mvs
The King of Fighters 98.mvs
The King of Fighters 99.mvs
The Last Blade 1.mvs
The Last Blade 2.mvs
The Super Spy.mvs
Thrash Rally.mvs
Top Hunter.mvs
Top Players Golf.mvs
Twinkle Star Sprites.mvs
V Liner.mvs
Viewpoint.mvs
Voltage Fighter.mvs
Waku Waku 7.mvs
Wind Jammers.mvs
World Heroes 1.mvs
World Heroes 2 Jet.mvs
World Heroes 2.mvs
World Heroes Perfect.mvs
Zed Blade.mvs
ZinTrick.mvs
Zupapa.mvs

Now, which ROMs should you use? I'm afraid there is no easy answer to that question. Arcade emulation is a bit more difficult than console emulation.

In the ideal case, you have a current MAME set plus the corresponding rollback set (the rollback set contains all older ROMs that have changed over time) plus some others (WinKawaks, NeoRAGEx). Then you need a .dat file for your target emulator (in our case GA330 MVS emulator v1.1). That file can be used by clrmamempro to generate a ROM set for the target emulator. Check this post for more information about this topic...

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6285-gngeo-issues-too-many-to-list-all/#entry144071

Unfortunately, I don't know on which emulator version this MVS emulator is based on (I assume they took an older fba-sdl version, based on FBA 0.2.96.7x). And I don't have a .dat file either.

In such a case, I just generate a ROM set for the emulator I think the target emulator is based on and use them with the MVS converter. I did this for the OpenDingux FBA version, see here...

http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-releases/final-burn-alpha-for-opendingux-(pre-release)/msg59033/#msg59033

I think this .dat file would be a good candidate to use.

Btw. The Dingoo-Digital version of the MVS converter has a ROM info file (rominfo.mvs), where you can see which ROM files are required.

Code: [Select]
FILENAME( sonicwi3, neogeo, 0, 0, 0, 0 )
REGION( 0x200000, CPU1, 0 )
ROM( 0, 0x100000, 0x100000, 0x0547121d )
ROM( 1, 0x000000, 0x100000, 0x00000000 )

REGION( 0x20000, GFX2, 0 )
ROM( 0, 0x00000, 0x20000, 0x8dd66743 )

REGION( 0x30000, CPU2, 0 )
ROM( 0, 0x10000, 0x20000, 0xb20e4291 )

REGION( 0x500000, SOUND1, SOUND_DISABLE )
ROM( 0, 0x000000, 0x400000, 0x6f885152 )
ROM( 0, 0x400000, 0x100000, 0x32187ccd )

REGION( 0xc00000, GFX3, 0 )
ROMX( 0, 0x000000, 0x400000, 0x33d0d589, 1, 1 )
ROMX( 0, 0x000001, 0x400000, 0x186f8b43, 1, 1 )
ROMX( 0, 0x800000, 0x200000, 0xc339fff5, 1, 1 )
ROMX( 0, 0x800001, 0x200000, 0x84a40c6e, 1, 1 )
END

You can check your ROM zips with 7-Zip if the CRCs match. If you find all CRCs in your .zip file, then you have the correct ROM. If it's still not working, then the game isn't supported.

PS: I had problems with the Dingoo-Digital version of the MVS converter. Don't know if they are really the same.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:28:40 pm by yoshi41 »

dcervi

MVS Converter v1.3b mod - Fixed 8 non working Roms
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:23:23 am »
Hi,

I found some errors in MVS converter and released a fixed version which corrects graphic glitches on some games.
You can see the post here: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-releases/mvs-converter-v1-3b-mod-fixed-8-non-working-roms/

The download link is at the end of the post.

yoshi41

Re: MVS Converter v1.3b mod - Fixed 8 non working Roms
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 06:31:40 pm »
Hi,

I found some errors in MVS converter and released a fixed version which corrects graphic glitches on some games.
You can see the post here: http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-releases/mvs-converter-v1-3b-mod-fixed-8-non-working-roms/

Good work, thanks. Converted those 8 ROMs and added to the list above. They all work fine, just Viewpoint runs too fast (but that's an emulator problem).

games222 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:37 pm »
Hi,

I won't give me a MVS rom after its done, i tried a bunch of roms and all the same results.

The original one is better, the improved version does not work or maybe i am not getting it.

I tried to the dos version of it, and it says no rom found. I tried the other version of it and it will not give me any mvs roms after its done.

The original MVS converter at least gave me some mvs roms, the improved version does not work at all.

games222 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 10:52:08 pm »
 i am gonna email the mvs author and see what he says.

;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:00:19 pm by games222 »

dcervi

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »
You should try to download different romsets for the games that aren't working. If you open the rominfo.mvs with a text editor, you will see the file names it is looking for for a given game. Open the game .zip file and check if those files are there. If not, it won't work,

games222 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 11:18:39 pm »
how can i open different rom sets? aren't most popular websites that have roms for download, all have the same exact roms for the most part?

where is the text editor located? i opened it with microsoft word, is this right way to view it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:26:40 pm by games222 »

dcervi

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 12:17:09 am »
You can read the rominfo.mvs with wordpad or notepad in windows.

And different emulators use different formats for the same roms. I'm not sure, but I think the required roms for mvs converter are from the MAME romset (NeoRageX ones don't work for sure)

yoshi41

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:56 am »
Hi,

I won't give me a MVS rom after its done, i tried a bunch of roms and all the same results.

The original one is better, the improved version does not work or maybe i am not getting it.

I tried to the dos version of it, and it says no rom found. I tried the other version of it and it will not give me any mvs roms after its done.

The original MVS converter at least gave me some mvs roms, the improved version does not work at all.

With this and the Dingoo-Digital version, you must put the ROMs in the same directory where the converter is. Otherwise, it will give you this strange error message, the rom (zip) cannot be found and no .mvs file is generated. With the original converter, you can have the ROMs anywhere.

Post a new topic